Author Topic: Provo Canyon School  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« on: May 01, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »
Provo Canyon School Research Results
March 26, 1992

Provo Canyon School, a residential treatment program for adolescents, has completed the first of a series of clinical outcome studies in conjunction with Strategic Advantage, Inc., a Minneapolis-based research firm. The first study is a retrospective sample of ninety-six families whose adolescents were discharged from the Provo, Utah program in 1987 and 1988. The study addresses both the improvement made during treatment and how well patients are doing today, four years after discharge.

Highlights include: 57% of parents reported that depression was a significant problem before PCS; 15% reported it as a problem four years after discharge. 55% of parents reported that involvement with drugs was a significant problem before PCS; 11.5% reported it as a problem four years after discharge. 76% of parents reported that impulsiveness was a significant problem before PCS; 27.1% reported it as a problem four years after discharge. 92% of parents reported that overall judgement was a significant problem before PCS; 20.8% reported it as a problem four years after discharge. 92% responded that treatment at PCS was helpful, and 85% indicated that they would recommend PCS to another parent whose child had similar problems. The results of a more comprehensive retrospective study will be published later this year. For more information, contact: Gina Van Valkenburg, Director of Marketing, 801-227-2000.

Copyright © 1992, Woodbury Reports, Inc. (This article may be reproduced without prior approval if the copyright notice and proper publication and author attribution accompanies the copy.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »
Any independent studies that are more current than this one?  If so, can someone post the link, so we can compare how the school ranks 12 years later?

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »
On 2004-05-01 19:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Provo Canyon School Research Results

March 26, 1992

Provo Canyon School, a residential treatment program for adolescents, has completed the first of a series of clinical outcome studies in conjunction with Strategic Advantage, Inc., a Minneapolis-based research firm. The first study is a retrospective sample of ninety-six families whose adolescents were discharged from the Provo, Utah program in 1987 and 1988. The study addresses both the improvement made during treatment and how well patients are doing today, four years after discharge.

Highlights include: 57% of parents reported that depression was a significant problem before PCS; 15% reported it as a problem four years after discharge. 55% of parents reported that involvement with drugs was a significant problem before PCS; 11.5% reported it as a problem four years after discharge. 76% of parents reported that impulsiveness was a significant problem before PCS; 27.1% reported it as a problem four years after discharge. 92% of parents reported that overall judgement was a significant problem before PCS; 20.8% reported it as a problem four years after discharge. 92% responded that treatment at PCS was helpful, and 85% indicated that they would recommend PCS to another parent whose child had similar problems. The results of a more comprehensive retrospective study will be published later this year. For more information, contact: Gina Van Valkenburg, Director of Marketing, 801-227-2000.

Copyright © 1992, Woodbury Reports, Inc. (This article may be reproduced without prior approval if the copyright notice and proper publication and author attribution accompanies the copy.)

"

Man, who the fuck wrote this shit, anon. my ass. Your just hiding behind some bullshit mask. Your probably some lame ass staff that works there and has nothing better to do at night. Man, fuck you. This shit is so old. It's from 92' this shit ain't count no more, not at all. Ya wanna know facts, you talk to the survivors that have gone there. What the fuck do our parents know that have sent us there. Nothing! Fucken Nothing! And how many of us even stay with our parents after we get out, most of us just try and seek refugee else where somewhere where we can try to pick our life back up, even though that takes most of us over a year cause after being in that joint for so long it totally fucks ya up major. Man, my mother didn't believe shit that I told her about Provo and the crap that goes on in there and how people are abused in there, she didn't believe me at all until the unfortunate happened to a loved one. You want a more recent one, man, screw you. You want somehting recent you go lock yourself up in there for 26months and come out after those 26months and let's see how you deal with life, wouldn't mind watching you jump off a bridge after those 26months and finally being free but having no clue what to do, having no friends and not knowing anyone anymore, not knowing life or the simple meaning of it. I had to sit down and re-meet my whole family, because I didn't know shit about them anymore, I had no friends and now any friends I do have live at least 100 miles away from me. Anything that the parents tell Provo in any of they're surveys means absolutely SHIT!!! Our parents know nothing about us when we get out, they know nothing about us while were in there. Were honest with them while were in Provo and the shit that goes on there and were punished and our parents are told they we are manipulating them and trying to just get out of Provo, fuck that shit. First time I've ever told the truth and got thrown into a small cold concrete room for it and left in there and forgotten for hours on end. I'll tell ya this right now, you weren't ever though, you ain't no real parent who worries about they're child if they are in Provo or if they will have to go to some place like this. You just shit, your probably just some staff in there that wants to jerk someones chain. And guess what...I got plently of hate, anger, and pain to lash out with. And I don't mind sharing it with anyone who I find deserving. These results that you put up here are shit and they were shit when they were gathered, it's all lies to make them look good, how many parents did they talk to, how many did they bribe, and how many parents were just too damn embarassed to admit that they're kid ain't live with them anymore or that they're still fucked up. There's the real questions, not this bullshit you pulled up here. So fuck that!
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 12:34:00 AM »
The post was not meant to support Provo, it was meant to show others what kind of information is out there (on struggling teens) to promote programs.  I would think that understanding how these schools promote themselves would be important for people trying to shut 'em down.

Second, calling yourself Dark Hunter Hope is no different than posting anon ... so chill out.

:wave:

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 01:54:00 AM »
This is pure propaganda - unfortunately many parents are fooled by this - I was. One of the first things my child told me on the first monitored phone call was "their web-site is bullshit."  I should have withdrawn her then and there - instead I listened to the therapist who should not even be practicing because of his ethics.  Provo Canyon School is an extremely dangerous, punitive and abusive program. Many staff are sadistic and punish the kids for the fun of it.  When they were restraining my child and forcing a horsedose of a dangerous drug into her body then were laughing and smiling.
Recently I saw the Passion of Christ. There is a scene where the Christ is being flogged. The Roman Guards are obvioulsly enjoying seeing him suffer - laughing, smiling.  When I saw this I realized that the staff at these programs are no different.  There are actually people out there that enjoy inflicting pain on others.  This problem teen industry attracts these types and pedophiles.  Sure there are a few good people who care and try to help kids. Usually they can't take the abuse and end up quiting.
Provo Canyon School is truly the mother of all abusive teen programs. Many learned the ropes there.  
This is an evil industry that must immediately be regulated before more children and staff die as a result of abusive practices. (Staff can die in escape attempts by those who have been literally driven crazy by the abuse)  
Provo Canyon School violates State, Federal, International and Core rules.  They constantly violate human and Constitutional rights - even though there was an injunction against them doing so in the Milonas v. Rice lawsuit. Please sign a petition to close this den of horror and terror.  One can be found:
beyondbusiness.net/index2.htm

Under the benign influence of our republican institutions, and the maintenance of peace with all nations whilst so many of them were engaged in bloody and wasteful wars, the fruits of a just policy were enjoyed in an unrivaled growth of our faculties and resources.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/sergeman/foundingdocs/inaugural/madison1stinaug.html' target='_new'>James Madison

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »
This is what PCS thinks is a scientific study? Are they mad? Oh yeah, I forgot, they are.

Where is the peer review? How was the study class selected? Where's the control group data?

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140440607/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Tacitus, Roman senator and historian (A.D. c.56- c.115)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »
On 2004-05-01 21:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

Second, calling yourself Dark Hunter Hope is no different than posting anon ... so chill out.

:wave: "

Oh, it isn't, okay then, I shall explain it simple for you so that you understand it and how it is different. My name is Hope, my Friends call me Hunter, and everyone has a dark side like the moon. Get it? Cause I ain't hiding nothing. It's got my name in it if anyone was smart enough to think on it. So yea, it is different than posting anon. Cause I am darkhunterhope.

-Hope
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
This was taken from the petition to shut down Provo Canyon School. This person was there 17 years ago and still has nightmares. Ironincally not much has changed....

17 years after being released from Provo Canyon School, I still occasionally wake up with night sweats and panic attacks that I began suffering after my experiences at the school.  From 9 DAYS WITH 2 SHOWERS IN ISOLATION FOR A FAULTY URINE SAMPLE (My parents were told that I admitted to purchasing pot on a ski lift while on a visit, even though I was CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING with my father in full view!) to Dr. Gwilliam verbally attacking me when my brother and father arrived for a visit to the point my brother said "I am not going to sit hear and listen to you bash my sister."  I had no warning that "Dr." Gwilliam would turn on me.  

Both my brother and father were concerned that I was on so many medications that my hands shook and my speech was slurred.  Dr. Gwilliam indicated that I needed to be highly medicated to keep me from being violent - even though I had no history at the school of violence, only depression which I was punished for (not adjusting well on the reports – so no privileges).  When I had complained to the medical doctor, he only upped my dosage.  I was forced to take extremely large doses of medication but was punished for wanting to know what I was taking and wanting off.  Considering the issues the FDA is now reporting in such medications as Xanax and other MOI’s and SSR’s, I consider it gross negligence that my concerns were brushed aside as being trivial.

After working steadily for the hotel and school cleaning, to receive a check for only $70 after one year was an outrage. I was told that money had been taken out for outings and personal items, however my mother was paying bills for those same things.  She was also being charged quite a bit of money for items that she herself had bought me.  No one goes through 2 boxes of tampons a month if there is not a serious medical problem.  

And in the end was anything accomplished other than my mother being bilked out of her money?  No - because they never addressed any of the issues that had resulted in the total breakdown of my relationship with my parents.  No family counseling.  I carried the anger with me for another 12 years after leaving before making any changes on my own.  I even called to have my medical and psychological records sent to another counselor.  After 1 year, all Dr. Gwilliam had wrote fit onto less than 7 sheets.  Nice intensive counseling.  And after Dr. Gwilliam’s turning on me I did not trust him to tell him anything – just continued to keep it buried as I had before everything came crashing down.   No therapeutic, rape trauma, eating disorder or drug abuse counseling provided.  No program to help me develop positive and healthy ways to deal with problems.  Just intimidated into proper behavior and told that I was the problem over and over and over.  Let it be known that after my experience at Provo Canyon School, not only did I immediately revert to my prior self-destructive behavior with a vengeance, but I also began to suffer severe and debilitating panic / anxiety attacks not experienced prior to my admission.

Oh yes - and their "education" was so great that many of the classes taken at PCS had to be retaken at my next high school even though I had passed the classes.  I had to retake Algebra II with Trig (same book) because PCS lumped it under "Algebra".

Note from poster: the hotel is where the upper level kids get to participate in involuntary servitude for the Marriott Hotels in the Provo area. Perhaps Marriott pays PCS and they keep the money. I'm not sure if this is still done. But I do know that my child's therapist asked me if she was good at housecleaning. I found this an odd question - but now I know why it was asked. These kids are used to make more money for the school by working as maids in the "hotel."

Freedom has a thousand charms to show, That slaves, howe'er contented, never know.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840300051/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> William Cowper, a British Christian poet & hymn writer (18th century)

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Kiwi

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 05:45:00 AM »
On 2004-05-01 19:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

Provo Canyon School Research Results

March 26, 1992

Anyone notice a common theme here?

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »
On 2004-05-01 21:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The post was not meant to support Provo, it was meant to show others what kind of information is out there (on struggling teens) to promote programs.  I would think that understanding how these schools promote themselves would be important for people trying to shut 'em down.

:wave: "

Posting under a handle is *different from* posting anonymously because it identifies a body of posts with a single person, so that those reading the forum can get to know that person by their issues and positions.

Usually, over weeks and months of posting, people reveal bits and pieces about themselves, whether they mean to or not.  What pushes your buttons, what your turns of phrase are like, what you choose to post about various sub-issues---all these things let people know a bit more about you.

It *is* different from complete anonymity.  But if you don't think it is, then you have nothing to lose by trying it, do you.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Peace and abstinence from European interferences are our objects, and so will continue while the present order of things in America remain uninterrupted.
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 07:39:00 AM »
Of course the school gets these types of results...and happy parents.  They send their "troubled teens" to a facility, and then upon the child's return "they're like a whole different person."  Hmmm.  Mind control, humilation and brainwashing can be miraculously effective.  If you want happy little Mormon-esque zombies...send 'em on down to Provo!  Or maybe you could ask some of the parents who aren't satisfied with the school.  Take my mom and dad for example.  I managed to escape the school, and when they asked Provo why I was able to do so, Provo said, and I quote "This isn't a prison."  The school gave an inaccurate physical description of me to the police, refused to help search for me, and took no responsibility for my disappearance.  For $6,000 a month, you'd think they could keep one little harmless (harmless, hehehe) teenager from eloping their bullshit program.  Ask my parents how great Provo is after my personal belongings were sloppily thrown in a box and shipped to my grieving mother's doorstep.  She thought I was dead.  Then my dad got a hefty bill for the month in which I went missing.  Wow.  Talk about results!
Oh yeah.  If you want to reply to what I have to say in this forum, go right ahead and e-mail me at [email protected].  I have plenty of information about Provo Canyon School, and its not pretty.   :skull: