Author Topic: A Word About Restraint Practices and Procedures  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A Word About Restraint Practices and Procedures
« on: April 28, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
Source: News-Medical.net

Title:

Some mental health and learning disability nurses are too ready to restrain patients

Text of Article:

Some mental health and learning disability nurses are too ready to restrain patients, according to speakers at the NMC's national conference on the management of violence in health care.

In 2001 there were 116,000 reported assaults on NHS staff, of which 50,000 occurred in a mental health or learning disability setting. The two-day conference, which was held in Liverpool and finished today, attracted a capacity audience, reflecting widespread concern over the issue.

Rick Tucker, the NMC?s professional advisor on mental health nursing issues, told delegates that physical restraint needs to be "a last resort" but some nurses were using it in place of listening and talking skills. He added that half of the cases of restraint in mental health are carried out in order to enforce medication.

In his address to the conference, Mr Tucker said he was ashamed of some of the restraints he had taken part in during his career as a mental health nurse: ?I am still haunted by the cries of one mental health patient from the beginning of my career, who, having refused an injection, was restrained by myself and other nurses. Looking at it now I can?t say it was anything other than assault.?

His view was backed up by Sharon Powell and Ron Sylvester of the British Institute of Learning Disabilities (BILD).

Ms Powell, a learning disability nurse for 18 years, told delegates it was time for a fundamental change to the way nurses related to patients with learning disabilities. She said: "I know I have taken part in restraints that should never have happened." Mr Sylvester, an epileptic who was held at the Rampton high security hospital for seven years, described how he was jumped on, punched and kicked by nurses, and also sedated against his will.

The conference also discussed the social factors that were contributing to the rising level of violence against nurses such as alcohol abuse, domestic violence and what one delegate described as "the macho culture of knife carrying".

------------------------------------------------

Okay, now imagine what must be going on in the privatized teen help industry?  Not just with restraint procedures but also isolation, which is essentially another form of restraint.  What kind of training to these staff people have?  How common is it for them to use R/S as punishment and/or for staff convenience?  My guess is it is very common given the lack of rigorous in-house training and little to no oversight from persons OUTSIDE the program.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Paige

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »
OK, so then my question is  
would this be classified as physical abuse?
aige

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »
It is true - hundreds of people die every year from restraint, especially restraint and forced drugging with dangerous psychotropic agents.
This was taken from an article in the Salt Lake Tribune titled, "Utah Wilderness Therapy Deaths."
Here is a partial list of children who have died as a result of restraint and other abusive measures:

A widely circulated list of "wilderness therapy program" deaths includes the names of more than 30 teens who have died in other states. Research by The Salt Lake Tribune shows some teens were in wilderness programs, while others were in boot camps, therapeutic boarding schools or centers and correction facilities. Teens who died in wilderness therapy programs in other states include the following:
    1. Cory Baines, 14, of California, died March 25, 2003, while camping with the Catherine Freer Wilderness Therapy program at Waldo Lake in the Willamette National Forest in Oregon when a tree limb fell on the tent he was sleeping in.
    2. Charles Moody, 17, of Texas, died Oct. 14, 2002, at On Track of Mason, Texas, of asphyxiation after being restrained.
    3. Erica Harvey, 15, of Arizona, died of heat stroke and dehydration May 27, 2002, while with the Catherine Freer Wilderness Therapy Expeditions after a three-mile hike in the Arc Dome Wilderness in Nevada.
    4. Ryan Lewis, 14, of Massachusetts, died Feb. 13, 2001, in the West Virginia-based Alldredge Academy (renamed Ayne Institute in August) after he hanged himself from a tree with a tent cord.
   5. William Edward Lee, 15, of Oregon, died Sept. 18, 2000, at Obsidian Trails in Bend, Ore., of an injury to a vertebral artery at the base of his skull after being restrained by counselors.
    6. Michael Wiltsie (Ibarra), 12, of Florida, died Feb. 5, 2000, in Camp E-Kel-Etu run by Eckerd Youth Alternatives of Florida from suffocation a day after a 320-pound counselor sat on him as a method of restraint.
    7. Dawnne Takeuchi, 18, of California, died June 28, 1995, near Pagosa Springs, Colo., while enrolled in the Tucson, Ariz.-based VisionQuest. Takeuchi died of injuries suffered after being thrown from a supply semi-truck driven by a camp counselor, who was convicted of careless driving.
    8.-15. Bernard Reefer, 19, of Pennsylvania; Robert Zimmerman, 17, of Pennsylvania; Charles M. Lucas, 16, of Pennsylvania; James Lamb, 14, of Pennsylvania; Eric D. Schibley, 17, of Arizona; Roger Doyle Erwin, 15, of Arizona; John Moran, 17, of Pennsylvania; and Lyle Foodroy, age unknown, of Colorado.
    The teens died Nov. 24, 1980, on an OceanQuest expedition, operated by Tucson-based VisionQuest, when their boat capsized off the coast of Baja California during a storm.

Teens who died in therapeutic boarding schools, boot camps or state-run correctional facilities include the following:
    1. Travis Ballard, 15, of Oklahoma, died Sept. 3, 2001, at the Thunderbird Youth Academy in Pryor, Okla., of heat stroke after exercising in hot weather.
    2. Valrie Ann Heron, 17, of Alabama, died Aug. 10, 2001, after she plunged to her death from a balcony at Tranquility Bay in St. Elizabeth, Jamaica.
    3. Anthony Haynes, 14, died July 1, 2001, in American Buffalo Soldiers Camp near Buckeye, Ariz., after being placed in a tub of water for dehydration treatment. Cause of death listed as dehydration and near-drowning.
    4. Bryan Dale Alexander, 18, of Texas, died Jan. 9, 2001, in Tarrant County Community Corrections Center of pneumonia.
    5. Brian Adams, age and home state unknown, died March 2000 in a Michigan program.*
    6. Adora Grae Stout, 17, of Tennessee, died Jan. 9, 2000, in the Buffalo Mountain Camp (run by Omni Visions Inc. of Tennessee) of cardiac arrest during a camping trip.
    7. Gina Score, 14, of South Dakota, died July 21, 1999, in the South Dakota State Training School in Plankinton of heat stroke after being forced to run in warm weather.
    8. Chad Andrew Franza, 16, of Florida, died Aug. 17, 1998, in the Polk County Juvenile Boot Camp in Florida, after hanging himself from his boot laces in his cell.
    9. Nicholaus Contreraz, 16, of California, died March 2, 1998, in Arizona Boys Ranch in Oracle, Ariz., of untreated infections.
    10. Edith Campos, 15, of California, died Feb. 4, 1998, in Desert Hills Center for Youth & Families in Tucson, Ariz., of suffocation after a counselor physically restrained her.
    11. Carlos Ruiz, 13, address unknown, died Dec. 16, 1994, in Tucson, Ariz.-based VisionQuest.*
    12. Lorenzo Johnson, 17, of Mississippi, drowned in a canal on June 27, 1994, while trying to escape from Arizona Boys Ranch in Oracle, Ariz. ( note from poster:this was the same place where Nic Contreraz died an agonizing and torturous death because staff refused to get him life-saving medical care in 1998 - maybe the authorities should have tried to find out why this boy tried to escape. Problem is the authorities rarely interview the kids and the kids are afraid to say anything - so the cycle of abuse and terror continues until something terrible happens)
    13. John Avila, age and address unknown, died July 25, 1994, in Rocky Mountain Academy in Idaho.*
    14. Jamie Young, 13, of Tucson, Ariz., died June 2, 1993, in Ramsey Canyon Hospital and Treatment Center in Sierra Vista, Ariz., of heat exhaustion after hiking in Tanque Verde Falls in Arizona.
    15. Paul Choy, 16 , of California, died Feb. 4, 1992, in Rite of Passage in Shurz, Nev., of asphyxiation after being restrained by counselors.
    16. Mario Cano, 16, of California, died April 27, 1984, in Tucson, Ariz.-based VisionQuest of a blood clot while doing calisthenics.

Obviously most of these deaths would be considered abusive.    

Sources: Published newspaper articles; Cathy Sutton, mother of Michelle Sutton, the first to die in a Utah wilderness therapy program; http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org; http://www.nospank.net; additional reporting by Tribune staff writers Brooke Adams and Elizabeth Neff and Tribune researcher Becky Hodges.

for nothing can keep it right but their own vigilant and distrustful superintendence.

--Thomas Jefferson

"If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you."[ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2004-04-28 14:19 ]
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 01:02:00 AM »
I think the average person has no idea how terrifying the powerlesness and pain can be when you are "restrained"

Its RARELY just a pin. They almost always twist a jointlock (which fucking hurt) WAYY TOO far and shove their weight on their victim. They probably learned from a Juujutsu instructor or some other grappler, and they're used to fighting other people who know how to fight back with it, not panincing people. Its overkill.

I know how to fight back and I could just tap out or say "STOP" on the mat. These children and teens (and adults in mental institutions) can't. When you can't breathe, or move, and are on the ground you PANIC. I'm able to get over that becasue my training partners aren't going to hurt me and I actually have a clue. Its also always one other person, and I consented to sparring with him or her. Its not a pile of burly employees who probably get off on hurting, scaring, and dominating me.

I wish the average person knew what it was like, but they probably never will. The MENTAL impact it can have alone is horrible. Imagine if the victim is also a claustrophobe! Nevermind how bad it hurts or the potentional injury to their joints, internal organs, or suffocation.

Its just another way to terrify, FORCE them into submission and cause more anguish and suffering until they comply with the brainwashing.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »
I know how abusive and absolutely horrible these facilities can be, because I experienced them first hand. I was in several "correctional facilities" for juveniles, one including the Desert Hills facility in Collge Station Texas which has now shut down from what I've heard but I could be wrong. I'm very emotionally scarred now from numerous experiences I have gone through in my youth having to spend it in these very scary places. If you got sick, you better just get down and pray because your not going to get any treatment. Even when disgusting pests in that facility bite you including spiders, huge scorpions on a regular basis, rats, mice, snakes, etc. My best friend got bit and almost had to have her leg amputated because of lack of treatment. Her knee looked like a basket ball! Male staff members would sexually harrass us, including sexual intercourse. Not to mention the extreme physical abuse that's masked under the name "restraint". Restraint I guess means some huge, disgusting, fat, sloppy, man laying on top of me and obviously getting off to it. And you get restarained for what? Showing ANY type of emotional reaction other than sheer happiness. I was an abused child who went into the system because my parents didn't want me and found my self in this swirling nightmare. I would much rather have the abuse I had at home. I could never type enough words or cry enough tears for anyone who has never experienced this to ever even begin to understand how much all of this has effected my life. And the DEEP DEEP sorrow and emptiness I feel when I think of these things still happening to deffenseless children who simply have no one who cares for them or no one to speak for them.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »
Well, why not tell the story to the media or some orginization like ISAC (http://www.isaccorp.com/index.html)? Get therapy if you still need it! Its nothing to be ashamed of.

If you need people to talk to, this forum is full of them. My contact information is below, but I'm not a therapist - just someone who cares.

People WILL care about this! We just have to make it KNOWN. If people have the courage to come forward with what really happens,  and the country is made aware, then it can't be overlooked anymore. The government will have to regulate and provide oversight and supervision contantly to stop it - or outlaw it completely.

I have not gone a day since I found out about this that I have forgotten this goes on. I'm still trying to tell everyone I can. I recently started a thing at http://www.askquestions.org/details.php?id=209 . If this can get publicity on a large scale the whole world will get up in arms over this.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."