Author Topic: July - Dallas,Richardson,Irving - Reunion????  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
July - Dallas,Richardson,Irving - Reunion????
« on: April 20, 2004, 09:17:00 AM »
Wanted to feel the air to see if anyone would be interested in attending a reunion of Straight Survivors?? I have checked on a meeting room, little blue chairs, memorabilia, documents, etc. I would personally love to catch up with oldtimers from the program and see what they look like now. No hate or ugliness need to be there. I thought perhaps we could sell tickets to pay for the room charge and get a sign in book for survivors to register information should they want to be found. I have a friend in the television business who thinks we could get a public anouncement of the event. I just thought I would see if anyone here would be interested. FEEDBACK:::::: :idea:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »
Im interested....also interested in who's asking?
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »
I think it's a bad idea. Most likely you're just going to have a bunch of stoners and drunk people there, or pro-straight alumni. What a combo. I know there are a handful or two of alumni in Dallas that are still grateful for their experience there. It would be a nightmare and an embarrassment. I can't see it being productive. Why even post this idea with an anonymous post to begin with? Who are you? Also, I promise you NO-ONE would want to pay a dime for it either. You need sponsors and organization for a conference like that. Otherwise, you're just going to have a bunch of emotionally charged ex-straightlings with no outlet or purpose.  Any more thoughts?

Offline KIDSofEP

• View Profile
    • http://www.kidsofelpaso.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 10:12:00 AM »
We have attempted this a couple of times in the last 3 years for veterans of KIDS of El Paso, once in Vegas and once on Galveston Island in the Gulf.   Both attempts were logistical nightmares, and failed miserably after a lot of planning and diligent effort.  There are several variables that work against the idea that I'd be more than happy to discuss with you in an email.  I wish you all the best.  I am not far from Dallas and would be there if it happened, but it won't be easy to pull off.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 10:57:00 AM »
This has been done for three years running now.  The first in Bethesday Md, and the other two in St. Pete.  Yes, it is difficult to get follks to assist in paying to cover costs, but it can be done.  It has been done for 3 years now, just that that group of people that put on the last conferences/reunions are not doing it this year.  And, we had pro-straightling folks at the all three conferences, but by the end, they were singing a different tune.  There was not any confrontation by pro and anti people.   BAd idea?  No I don't think so, but it is a hard nut to crack.

Hey, I attended all three conferences and I wasn't drunk or stoned at all.  And, there were plenty others that weren't as well.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »
Well, we're talking about Texas here... :roll:

Offline KIDSofEP

• View Profile
    • http://www.kidsofelpaso.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »
There is also a significant difference between a national conference and a program specific reunion.  Again, I hope all the best for everyone involved.  Many have attempted to coordinate such an event from my program without result.  
It is far from a BAD idea, it's a great idea that takes much coordination.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »
Very true.

Offline taureana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »
As long as it's not the first two weeks of July, I would do my damndest to be there.

I have seen pictures from other Straight reunions, and thought it would be a good idea to have one in Dallas, but since I'm no longer living in TX, I couldn't even begin to coordinate.

I don't think that it would be a volatile situation at all.  I know that in the DFW area, there are probably quite a few people that are still pro-Straight.  But I think the main reason for that is because from what I have read about all the other locations, Dallas didn't seem to be as abusive.  I'm not saying that it wasn't abusive, I'm just saying that so many of the stories that I've read from other locations are pretty horrendous compared to what I had to deal with while I was there.

I am not pro-Straight, nor am I really anti-Straight.

I think that when there is a reunion like that, the main reason people show up is just to see the other people who show up and find out what everyone's up to.

I drink, I don't use drugs, and I don't crucify others who choose to use drugs.  I have had periods in my life of complete abstinence since Straight, and I have had periods in my life of using illegal substances on a daily basis.  I don't think that a reunion would be a drunken drug infested fiasco.

And one thing that I have learned from living in many different states is that Texans are proud, and when it comes down to it, Texans stick together.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

On 2004-04-20 08:09:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Well, we're talking about Texas here... ::bwahaha::

God bless Texas

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
well uh, yeah I can read...I know that "Texas" is spelled T E X A S and not F L O R I D A and I'm fully aware of the meaning of "conference" and "reunion".  Just was trying to make the comparison.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »
I don't think that it would be a volatile situation at all.

Well then, you're just kidding yourself!

I know that in the DFW area, there are probably quite a few people that are still pro-Straight. But I think the main reason for that is because from what I have read about all the other locations, Dallas didn't seem to be as abusive. I'm not saying that it wasn't abusive, I'm just saying that so many of the stories that I've read from other locations are pretty horrendous compared to what I had to deal with while I was there.

Um, wrong. Where were you? Why were there four suicides, a murder, and numerous other tragedies surrounding Dallas then? Considering the short time it was open, it was horrific! Like I said, you're kidding yourself.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 01:34:00 PM »
There were plenty of tragedies in the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area as well and the conferences/reunions went off fine.  I had a great time meeting all my old straightling friends and making new ones.  It was also good to "get-the-word-out" about the programs, then and now.  I think a relaxed reunion w/out any major agenda would be fun...sorry I can't make it.  My vacation time is spoken for this year.

Offline taureana

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »
On 2004-04-20 10:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

Why were there four suicides, a murder, and numerous other tragedies surrounding Dallas then?

There are tons of tragedies that occur everyday when drugs, alcohol and various types of mental illness is involved.  Lots of bad things happen to good people every single day.  Just because four different people happened to be in Dallas Straight that killed themselves, doesn't mean that Straight made them do it.

I know two people who committed suicide that were in Dallas Straight, Gena Golden & Sheila Condon.  And I can also personally vouch that both of these girls had serious mental problems, and I firmly believe that Straight did not cause them to commit suicide.  They were both mentally ill before their intakes, Straight may have fueled the fire, but it was not the sole cause for their destructive ends.  And anyone that knew these girls, knew that they were haunted by their emotional demons.  I believe that they both finally have the peace that they so deserved.

And as a survivor of attempted suicide, I can also tell you that when I made the decision to end my life, it was not because I had been INCARCERATED in Straight.  It was because of the mental anguish that I felt at that moment due to a multitude of issues.

Most people who abuse drugs and alcohol, (notice I say abuse, not use), have underlying issues of depression, serious abuse from parents or other family members, or other types of mental illness.  Unless they can ever deal with the underlying causes for their substance abuse, tragedies will follow them.

When I stated that Dallas Straight didn't seem that abusive, I am talking about while we were in Straight.  Last I heard, there were no murders or suicides of people while they were locked up in Straight.  Please correct me if I'm wrong about that, because I would like to have all the accurate information I can get.

[ This Message was edited by: taureana on 2004-04-20 12:04 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2004, 03:09:00 PM »
On 2004-04-20 08:36:00, taureana wrote:

I don't think that it would be a volatile situation at all.  I know that in the DFW area, there are probably quite a few people that are still pro-Straight.  But I think the main reason for that is because from what I have read about all the other locations, Dallas didn't seem to be as abusive.  I'm not saying that it wasn't abusive, I'm just saying that so many of the stories that I've read from other locations are pretty horrendous compared to what I had to deal with while I was there.

Please, Dallas was horrific, and did a good job at fucking up lots of kids that were there. What are you comparing them for anyways. Constant screaming, yelling, name calling, restraints,  people carving in their arms, people giving their minds and souls to their abusors. You were there and yet you say it wasn't so bad, well you are fooling only yourself, if that. Ever hear of repressed emotions???