Author Topic: marijuana maintenance  (Read 2429 times)

Offline xres8182

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« on: April 07, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »
How do people in this forum feel about mary-jane as a tool to combat alcoholism.Just wondering
                                   Jim
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »
Check out the thread I Just

Different folks hold different views. Personally, I remain convinced that my brother did as well as he could for himself for about 12 years smoking massive amounts of pot every day. One day, he got paranoid about his kid reporting him to the DARE cop; threw out the bong, the pipe, the clips and tray and went back to good ol'e, legal beer. About a year later, he showed up at a psyche ward, destitute and suicidal. Had it not been for the legal status of that herb, I doubt seriously he ever would have given it up and would probably never have had that kind of desolation in his life again.

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.
-- John Adams, (1772)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 12:47:00 AM »
I am high right now.

Offline socialdeviant

• View Profile
    • http://webspawner.com/users/deviantchick
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »
ok, i have been through treatment for both substances and i think they both have pros and cons. i mean, when i was binge drinking every few days, i WAS getting sick, but i was not high all the time and all smoky and skangy. on the other hand, i was hung over. becuase of my age, both are illegal, but i don't think one is better then the other. i felt better when i was smoking then when i was hungover, but once the thc left my system i felt all grungy because of the pot. its so situational. but i think pot is easier to stop then alcohol, no phys. addiction, detox tremors, etc., so if you were to switch then get clean i guess... or just keep doing it. again, its really situational.
hatever is begun in anger shall end in shame.-Benjamen Franklin
Don\'t take for granted my sincerity.-A. Wigs

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 06:00:00 PM »
When my son was at the height of his 'abuse' of mind-altering substances, I definitely saw a difference between the two.

Pot was his choice but beer was sometimes easier to acquire. Not once did he ever get into trouble with law enforcement while smoking. But, I was called by the police one night to come pick him up because he'd had the good sense to pull off the road before he passed out. Fortunately, they couldn't arrest him because he wasn't driving when they found him. They didn't bother to fine him for public intoxication because he was 1.5 miles from home and I agreed to pick him up. He also acquired a DUI and DWI and much headache with the system.

Pot didn't interfere with his ability to drive or make better decisions. It was actually the perfect 'medicine' for his PTSD symptoms. He ate, slept better, was less angry, etc.

He was drinking more than smoking in the later days, guess his pot source had grown unreliable. Alcohol was deteriorating his health. Twice I took him to the emergency room for a diagnosed condition of "over acidity" from over indulging. He didn't eat when he drank, was more prone to anger, and slept okay if he drank enough to pass out.

I know there are other comparisions I could offer, but those are the most pertitnent.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »
Well, my brother's a special case. Not so special, though, that there are not probably a lot of folks like him. He would never submit to a psyche eval or prescription drugs. But he'd always buy Xanax if he could get it and horde them so as to have just one per day for as long as possible. It worked wonders for him and didn't leave him flakey and stoned all the time. I haven't spoken w/ him in a couple of years. I sincerely hope he finally just bit the bullet and took the psyche diagnosis to get the drug that works best for him. But the second best is probably still marijuana. Flakiness is somewhat managable. Sheer frothing psychosis is not.

I agree, alcohol seems to cause more problems for more people than pot and, regardless of consequences, is difficult to stop once you get into an established habit. That's why all the ritual and taboo surrounding it's use. Things like drinking during the day, getting drunk in public, getting drunk before as a child (some cultures allow moderate use right from weening); all of these things set sensible limits.

And people who break the taboos are subject to shame and become object lessons for others. That's how society goes about dealing w/ dangerous things. From a kid's pov, it might seem silly and dumb; especially when our society seems to have gone nuts w/ silly, dumb ritual and taboo. The importance and meaning of it gets lost.

Our rampant obsession w/ less dangerous drugs like marijuana and, possibly (time will tell) MDMA is a good example of that kind of silliness. Just around a year ago, I heard that black tar opium is getting popular in my old neighborhood in Florida. These kids who are/were doing it didn't know the first thing about it. Didn't know it was the raw form of heroin, that it was addictive or that accidental overdose or drug interaction are relatively easy. How could they not know these things? I think they probably heard and read it all many, many times, but blew it off as just more bullshit from the idiots who have been trying to convince them that marijuana was all the things that opium really is.

That's one issue I have w/ the Program that has nothing to do w/ minor policy changes. Honestly, when I was in, I got sat on exactly once in two years and that wasn't anywhere near my worst day. The next day, when my dad apparently bought the line that I'd violently attacked someone and that had been how I got a black eye; the day I finally accepted that none of my brothers or sisters were going to write or visit me; the day I finally gave in and decided to "get honest" and denounce myself at open meeting as a druggie in need of treatment, even though I knew full well it was a lie. Those were the bad days. Those were they days I cried real tears and had to come up with something real quick to explain it.

A drug is neither moral nor immoral - it's a chemical compound. The compound itself is not a menace to society until a human being treats it as if consumption bestowed a temporary license to act like an asshole.
--Frank Zappa

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
http://www.mapinc.org/newsleap/v04/n414/a06.html?233

EX-COP CALLS FOR LEGALIZING DRUGS
POCATELLO - Howard Wooldridge rode a brown and white paint horse across the United States in 2003 wearing a T-shirt with a shocking message, given the fact he spent his life working in law enforcement.  

Like American Revolution hero Paul Revere, Wooldridge said he delivered an important message to Americans, one that got him on television 14 times and in print 45 times during the trip.  

The T-shirt, which he's worn for the past four years, reads, "Cops say legalize pot.  Ask me why."

About 10,000 people have followed the shirt's instructions.  

His short answer: "We want to go after drunken drivers and child molesters."

Wooldridge, a retired police detective who now lives in Fort Worth, Texas, gave his long answer Tuesday night during a speech at Idaho State University.  

It's not just pot he would legalize.  It's cocaine, heroin, LSD - every illegal substance.  

The 52-year-old, who wears a cowboy hat and a white mustache, doesn't use drugs or encourage others to try them, although he admits he smoked marijuana 26 years ago.  

He said drug prohibition increases crime, the spread of disease and death.  

If drugs were legalized, he believes drug use wouldn't rise, crimes would dramatically drop because drug users wouldn't have to steal to afford them, the government could regulate them and make them safer, and police would have more time to pursue offenders who pose a public risk.  

"If you support current policy, you're condemning your kids to grow up in a world with drug dealers and their free samples.  Youth are sucked into the criminality of prohibition with the excitement and easy money, and they get hurt and killed because of it," Wooldridge said.  "We never have and never will make a difference on whether there's drug dealers on the streets."

ISU student Cody Cranor said he agreed that the fact that illegal drugs cause more crime, but he isn't sure that legalizing drugs is the answer.  

"( Wooldridge ) has some good points, but he's a little out there," Cranor said.  

Wooldridge's views elicited cheers from people like Ron Hammers.  Hammers believes if marijuana were legal, it could be controlled.  

He also supports the use of medical marijuana.  Hammer's father-in-law has cancer, and Hammer believes marijuana would be better than the drugs currently prescribed.  Marijuana increases appetite, helping patients to get nourishment and get stronger, Hammer says.  

"If you're terminally ill, what's it going to hurt to smoke a little weed?" Hammer said.  

ISU student Rob Geddes disagreed with Wooldridge, saying he needs more evidence to back his opinion.  

"I think he needs to back up his opinion with facts," he said.  

Wooldridge is one of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition's five founding members.  It's a lobbyist group comprised of former officers, judges and other law enforcement officials which he credits with getting Texas to relax its drug laws.  

On Sept.  1, 2003, Texas passed a law preventing prison or jail time for anyone caught with personal-use quantities of drugs.  

"There is a movement in our country to think about ( drug legalization ).  It should be a personal and family matter," Wooldridge said.  "People are hungry for new ideas.  We keep building prison after prison with no effect on drug dealers."

During his 16 years with the Bath Township Police Department, near Lansing, Mich., Wooldridge led his department consistently in drunken driving arrests.  

But when he stopped a person and found small amounts of drugs or alcohol, provided they weren't high on any substances, he poured out the booze, threw away the drugs and sent them on their way.  

Wooldridge believes many other police officers agree with him but aren't vocal, until they can retire and speak their minds without fear of hurting their careers.  

His group now has 1,000 members.  

"I have faith in the American people," Wooldridge said.  "They are not going to stick a needle in their arms just because it's legal.  

"I have faith that they're not that stupid."

::birthday::  ::rocker::

Don't hate the media. Become the media

--Jello Biafra

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »
Pot as a tool to combat alcoholism I am not sure about. I think if you are really addicted to something then you need to deal with it and not transfer it to something else.

But personally I would rather deal with a stoner then a drunk anyday.

My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.
-- Charles Barkley, on hearing Tonya Harding proclaim herself "the Charles Barkley of figure skating"

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »
It's not exactly that. There are a couple of distinct issues always involved w/ substance abuse. People coming off of really hard drinking often have very real physiological and psychological symptoms. Alcohol withdrawal can actually be life threatenting in some cases. Using marijuana to releive these symptoms is not substituting one drug for another. The symptoms pass after a time and the person can reduce or quit their MJ use w/o physical withdrawl symptoms.

Even if they don't reduce or discontinue their use, the only really big risk is that of getting busted by the law or Patriot :wink:

What experiences and history teach is this-that people and government never have learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it.

--G.W.F Hegel (1770-1831)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 04:32:00 AM »
I'm all about the weed. I don't care if I'm addicted or not. I don't care if you want to get high or not-- you are going to, or else. With me or by me, you will get wasted!

Offline xres8182

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 11:50:00 AM »
Here's the deal,I quit drinking over a year ago,I needed to.My addiction was physical, if I didn't drink I was always thinking about it.I still smoke and everything is going great.The only worry I have is getting busted for smoking.Why is AA so against marijuana maintenance.I went there to get my license back and listened to their pitch.They say you don't have to do anything,yet they're always buggin you to do something.WTF does pot have to do with aa anyway.Interested in feedback,thanx in advance

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
marijuana maintenance
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
AA and NA are cults, plain and simple.  They lie.  Do what you have to do to get your license back, but don't fall for their bullshit.  Weed is a lot less harmful than alcohol, but it's illegal.  Don't bother trying to convince the AA crowd that weed is OK.  They don't care, they onluy want to perpetuate their cult.  Just comply as long as you have to, but don't incriminate yourself at meetings or in private with any Stepsters.  Get your license back and get the hell out.