Author Topic: Breaking News Story on Teen Advocates USA  (Read 42194 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Breaking News Story on Teen Advocates USA
« Reply #315 on: September 24, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »
The government of Utah supports and promotes these money-making programs.  It's no wonder that they would re-issue a license to that facility. The people of Utah have allowed this industry to control the legislative process.  Those in political power literally take bribes from owners and opperators of these dens of horror and abuse. Legislation intended to make the facilities safer has failed - this is due to the political corruption in Utah.  It's much bigger than Anson Arnet and his family.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 30, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »
Did anyone happen to read The Salt Lake Tribune
on Sept.19,2004.  Utah clan has clout in politics. Makes for some very interesting reading.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »
and the letter to the editor Lichfield sent the following Sunday in rebuttal...

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #318 on: September 30, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »
I think both are posted somewhere in this forum.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 07, 2004, 11:59:00 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the meeting in August?  Did it transpire as planned?  Details?

In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn?t speak up because I wasn?t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn?t speak up because I wasn?t a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn?t speak up because I wasn?t a trade unionist. Then they came for Catholics, and I didn?t speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."
--Protestant minister Martin Neimoller

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
« Reply #320 on: October 27, 2004, 08:39:00 PM »
I am VERY INTERESTED in details of these cases. I've got one of my own in mind. I'm a good hunter but a few more tips would help. Send private message if possible. You have to sign up to do so but i think we're pretty safe here.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 27, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »
oddly, the July minutes are missing. I wrote to the legislative webmaster for the transcript.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 03, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
The next meeting on group homes before the state health and human services interim committee is on Nov 10th at 2:05 pm in room W015 House Building and Senator Tom Hatch will be presenting hopefully, new legisltion for the governing of these facilties, in the least what his work group has come up with. Cedar city currently has a moritorium in place to stop the issuing of buisness liscenses for group homes until March 2005 when the legislative session will end and at that time the city will be able to re-evaluate it's options concerning group homes.
As I come to know more about group homes in general I am appalled that the abuse that goes on in some of these facilities has not been stopped before this. And not knowing how these boys were treated, I can't say whether they were reacting to environment or what. It doesn't matter. There is no excuse for their actions. I do know that Anson Arnett was a kind person, who had real concern for the boys he worked with. And never harmed these boys, and that they made the choice to commit the crime, and now have to face the consequences and because of their ages that means being tried as an adult, and in Utah that could mean the death penalty.

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 05, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »
So there is another meeting on November 10. Why the difficulty in obtaining the minutes from the July meeting?  From reading this thread it appears the two boys were due to be released back home.  Parents were told they "were not ready" because they had allegedly cheated on a test.  This was the catalyst that caused the deadly escape attempt.  There was no excuse for killing Anson.  It probably would not have happened if the facility had been appropriately staffed and if the owner of the facility had not tried to make more money by keeping these boys locked up unnecessarily.  It was a dangerous situation - two boys who were emotionally distressed as a result of learning that they were not going to go home and only one staff member on duty.  
It was a recipe for disaster.  

I personally believe that the boys should not receive any greater penalty than the staff members whose negligence, and cruelty resulted in the deaths of at least 6 children who died in Utah youth programs.  The greatest penalty was 3 months incarceration for the month-long starvation and exposure death of Aaron Bacon.  

By the year 2000, we will, I hope, raise our children to believe in human potential, not God.
--Gloria Steinam, women's rights activist

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2004, 03:30:00 PM »
If these meetings are public, I will attend. I will check immediately. Anyone else?

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
It's Sunday so I can't call but it appears these meetings are open and interested parties can testify if they give 24 hours notice to the committee.

To refresh memories, here's what was summarized from the June meeting (the last mention of this issues)

6.   Group Homes

Sen. Hatch briefly discussed the incident that occurred in a group home in Cedar City that resulted in the death of the home's staff member.

Ms. Dupont distributed sections of the Utah Code which pertain to the regulation of group homes. Regulation of these homes is a blend of many laws and regulations that determine where and how the homes can be located.

Mr. Paul Bittmenn, Cedar City Attorney, distributed a written copy of his comments. He suggested the implementation of the following three policy goals: 1) increase the specificity of the state rules regulating residential treatment facilities; 2) empower state inspectors to enforce regulations; and 3) empower local government to be able to regulate residential treatment facilities.

Ms. Robin Arnold-Williams, DHS (Department of Human Services), stated these homes are a critical part of human services care in the state and it is her desire that they provide quality care. More children and youth are placed in these facilities from out of state than from within the state.

Mr. Ken Stettler, Office of Licensing, DHS, distributed several handouts regarding group homes. He said his office is charged with the responsibility of licensing each foster care home and any treatment programs that have to deal with mental health, substance abuse, aging, etc.

Ms. Shannon Dulaney, Iron County School District, expressed concern with the lack of communication between group homes and the education system and indicated that the education of some group home residents is being interrupted.

Mr. Tom Walker, Iron County School District, said that none of the 16 providers currently in Iron County offering programs for troubled youth have come to the district to discuss their education programs.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »
Advice on testifying before a committee in Utah:

Advice on Testimony

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 09, 2004, 12:26:00 AM »
The meetings are public. I don't know what and if they will allow anyone to speak but it is worth a try. I do know that there is 3 people from the Cedar City area going up. They also attended the previous meetings too. Lets hope for the best.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 09, 2004, 12:32:00 AM »
I am a Cedar City resident and I will be going up
to the meeting on Wed.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 09, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
I believe that anyone can put in a speaker card befor the meeting. Utah may be different than California - but there is usually a time set aside at the start of the meeting for Public Comment where anyone can say just about anything for five minutes (usually).  So someone should call and ask if there is a time for public comment. Normally one need not get permission in advance - it's only necessary to show up and fill out a card.  

I believe that human beings arrive on this Earth wanting to know absolutely everything, and the best thing we can do as parents is to get out of the way -- just be there to let them know what opportunities are there
-- Dorothy Werner, media liaison for the National Homeschool Association

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"