Author Topic: Breaking News Story on Teen Advocates USA  (Read 42082 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Breaking News Story on Teen Advocates USA
« on: March 10, 2004, 11:33:00 PM »
A group home counselor (Utah) was killed and the 2 teens alleged to be involved have been arrested in Las Vegas.

:sad:

See:

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.homestead.c ... Ahome.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 12:42:00 AM »
Anybody know who owns and operates this group home?  

http://www.maximumlifeskills.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 12:47:00 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 12:50:00 AM »
Not much info.  It's not a wwasp/cedu/aspen affiliate that I can see:

Registrant:
Lucid Design
P.O. Box 277
St. George, Utah 84771
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
Domain Name: MAXIMUMLIFESKILLS.COM
Created on: 11-Mar-03
Expires on: 11-Mar-06
Last Updated on: 11-Mar-03

Administrative Contact:
Rios, Mike [email protected]
Lucid Design
P.O. Box 277
St. George, Utah 84771
United States
(435) 229-6085 Fax -- (435) 673-0447

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »
Sheesh, this is one God-awful tragedy.  My heart goes out to the counselor's family and the teenagers, and their families.

:cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 02:04:00 AM »
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Aide is slain; 1 teen caught
By Nancy Perkins
Deseret Morning News

CEDAR CITY ? A 31-year-old man who worked for a residential youth treatment center is dead, and police have arrested one of the two teenage boys they believe are responsible.

The two, who apparently fled to Las Vegas in a van owned by the center, were spotted by Nevada police late Tuesday night.

Police took one of the boys, Jesse Simmons, into custody at about 11 p.m. Police were still searching for the other teen, Sean Graham.

Anson Arnett, a counselor with Maximum Life Skills Academy, was attacked with a baseball bat late Monday and left for dead in a locked closet of the residential youth treatment home, Cedar City Police Lt. David Holm said.

Arnett died at 7:20 p.m. Tuesday at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City after being flown there from a Cedar City hospital, according to Holm.

Police were initially called to the youth home at 11:34 p.m. Monday on a report of a stolen vehicle, Holm said. The youth home is located at 1083 Bulloch Circle in a residential, multiple-housing zone.

"Mr. Arnett was found inside the home. He had been hit at least twice in the head with a baseball bat," Holm said. "It was a brutal attack."

The 17-year-olds also threatened the four other teenage boys staying at the youth home, according to owner Adam AhQuin.

"They (the boys) witnessed the whole thing. They were shocked," said AhQuin, 24, who opened the youth treatment center in May 2002. "Anson was checking a room, came up the stairs, and he was just attacked. We're all shocked."

Police said the teens stole a white 2002 15-passenger Dodge van with Utah license plate 953 WLU.

Graham, who is still being sought, is described as a black male, 5 feet 7 inches tall and 120 pounds with brown hair.

"Anson was just an awesome person. He was one of those people you can't imagine anyone ever trying to hurt," said AhQuin. "He was extremely talented, soft spoken and artistic."

Maximum Life Skills Academy is one of 196 licensed private residential treatment facilities across the state, Utah Department of Human Services spokeswoman Carol Sisco said. The company has had its license for about two years.

No problems had been noted nor complaints registered in that time, Sisco said.

Children in private facilities like Maximum Life Skills Academy are sent there by their parents and not through the juvenile court system or the Division of Youth Corrections.

Maximum Life is licensed to house up to 11 youths, ages 12-17. Six children were in the home Monday night, Sisco said. A DHS licensing expert was in Cedar City meeting with staff and reviewing facility logs to ensure the facility did not violate any of the licensing rules, she added.

"One of the things that concerns us is that there was only one counselor on staff at the time," Sisco said.

Two counselors are required at all times to ensure the safety of both staff and residents, Sisco said. AhQuin said Arnett was working the graveyard shift alone, which is routine.

"I had a really strong feeling that I ought to work that shift, but I guess I can play the 'what if' scenario over and over again and never really get anywhere with it," AhQuin said. "Anson was just really gifted with the boys. This is so completely left field."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 02:06:00 AM »
Posted: 2004-03-06 09:51:00  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Fornits Archives: Key Word: liahona

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... 9&start=10

Posted: 2003-08-31 18:59:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well here goes :
He has built or owns websites for that purpose(troubled teen referrals/schools). His website used to have an Ah Quin family member on it. A brother/son to people who run Liahona Academy. I also heard rumor that Steve helped finance a program started by Randall Hinton (formerly of Teen Help). They are all from Hurricane, UT. I have also heard that there is a lawsuit over the startup funds (Lemmon trying to sue Hinton).
Lemmon family very large in Hurricane/SO. Utah - some family members are real estate agents.

Another of his sites is : swlemmon.com calls himself a Business Consultant.

I would bet he refers to Liahona if any. I don't think WWASP would associate with him as he funded a person they basically told to go away (this would be Hinton). You probably already know this (I suspect Sue S. as the poster looking for info) as Hinton and Sue were/are pretty tight.

TheStudio.net actually had built a website for Casa by the Sea, but has been redone since.

No background in the industry known. He's a film/media buff trying to get in on the teen help industry craze of the internet these days.

He's associated with the Ah Quin people - so I'd watch out. They have a reputation for getting things done there way. One of the Ah Quin's (younger) worked doing concert promotions - thug like - also likes underage girls - pervert.

Now - in exchange for this information I would like to know your purpose. I was fair and open with this - can't you do the same? I have no beef with this guy, but you asked for info. Why are you asking questions about him? I suspect you've been thrown a name, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Do tell - I might be able to help you.

If you tell what you're up to - that might be worth some more information....

Internet has lot's of info - just have to know where to look...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »
Clay AhQuin is Director of Liahona Academy, a residential treatment facility for male youth ages 12-17 located in Leeds, Utah.  Licensed 11/01/2003 to 10/31/2004.  Capacity 6

Adam AhQuin is Director of Maximum Life Skills, a residential treatment facility for male youth ages 12 -17 located in Cedar City, Utah.  Licensed 9/1/2003 to 8/31/2004.  Capacity 11

Source: Utah Department of Health Services

http://www.hslic.utah.gov/lists.asp

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 08:42:00 AM »
Aide is slain; 1 teen caught
By Nancy Perkins
Deseret Morning News (Wednesday March 10, 2004)

CEDAR CITY ? A 31-year-old man who worked for a residential youth treatment center is dead, and police have arrested one of the two teenage boys they believe are responsible. (Sean Graham ,
Jesse Simmons)

The two, who apparently fled to Las Vegas in a van owned by the center, were spotted by Nevada police late Tuesday night.
      Police took one of the boys, Jesse Simmons, into custody at about 11 p.m. Police were still searching for the other teen, Sean Graham.
      Anson Arnett, a counselor with Maximum Life Skills Academy, was attacked with a baseball bat late Monday and left for dead in a locked closet of the residential youth treatment home, Cedar City Police Lt. David Holm said.
      Arnett died at 7:20 p.m. Tuesday at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City after being flown there from a Cedar City hospital, according to Holm.
      Police were initially called to the youth home at 11:34 p.m. Monday on a report of a stolen vehicle, Holm said. The youth home is located at 1083 Bulloch Circle in a residential, multiple-housing zone.
      "Mr. Arnett was found inside the home. He had been hit at least twice in the head with a baseball bat," Holm said. "It was a brutal attack."
      The 17-year-olds also threatened the four other teenage boys staying at the youth home, according to owner Adam AhQuin.
      "They (the boys) witnessed the whole thing. They were shocked," said AhQuin, 24, who opened the youth treatment center in May 2002. "Anson was checking a room, came up the stairs, and he was just attacked. We're all shocked."
      Police said the teens stole a white 2002 15-passenger Dodge van with Utah license plate 953 WLU.
      Graham, who is still being sought, is described as a black male, 5 feet 7 inches tall and 120 pounds with brown hair.
      "Anson was just an awesome person. He was one of those people you can't imagine anyone ever trying to hurt," said AhQuin. "He was extremely talented, soft spoken and artistic."
      Maximum Life Skills Academy is one of 196 licensed private residential treatment facilities across the state, Utah Department of Human Services spokeswoman Carol Sisco said. The company has had its license for about two years.
      No problems had been noted nor complaints registered in that time, Sisco said.
      Children in private facilities like Maximum Life Skills Academy are sent there by their parents and not through the juvenile court system or the Division of Youth Corrections.
      Maximum Life is licensed to house up to 11 youths, ages 12-17. Six children were in the home Monday night, Sisco said. A DHS licensing expert was in Cedar City meeting with staff and reviewing facility logs to ensure the facility did not violate any of the licensing rules, she added.
      "One of the things that concerns us is that there was only one counselor on staff at the time," Sisco said.
      Two counselors are required at all times to ensure the safety of both staff and residents, Sisco said. AhQuin said Arnett was working the graveyard shift alone, which is routine.
      "I had a really strong feeling that I ought to work that shift, but I guess I can play the 'what if' scenario over and over again and never really get anywhere with it," AhQuin said. "Anson was just really gifted with the boys. This is so completely left field."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 10:24:00 AM »
"They (the boys) witnessed the whole thing. They were shocked," said AhQuin, 24, who opened the youth treatment center in May 2002.

A 24 year old opening a "treatment center" for teens?  That right there says something about the program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »
On 2004-03-11 07:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"
"They (the boys) witnessed the whole thing. They were shocked," said AhQuin, 24, who opened the youth treatment center in May 2002.

A 24 year old opening a "treatment center" for teens?  That right there says something about the program.  "

What moron of a parent would entrust physical custody of their problem teenager, over a span of months, to a twenty-four year old?

Makes you understand why these kids grew up to be kids with problems, eh?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »
Moronic is right, but how is this any different than parents allowing their child to be *disciplined* by 16 year old *upper level* program kids?  With as much money as these programs are pulling in, trust me, they can afford to hire experienced, well-trained ADULTS.

:smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »
On 2004-03-10 23:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Clay AhQuin is Director of Liahona Academy, a residential treatment facility for male youth ages 12-17 located in Leeds, Utah.  Licensed 11/01/2003 to 10/31/2004.  Capacity 6

Adam AhQuin is Director of Maximum Life Skills, a residential treatment facility for male youth ages 12 -17 located in Cedar City, Utah.  Licensed 9/1/2003 to 8/31/2004.  Capacity 11

Source: Utah Department of Health Services

http://www.hslic.utah.gov/lists.asp"

Who are the AhQuin's and what is their background in this industry?  Do they own and manage any other programs?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 06:28:00 PM »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »
On 2004-03-10 22:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Sheesh, this is one God-awful tragedy.  My heart goes out to the counselor's family and the teenagers, and their families.

:cry: "

Me too. And to all the other kids who have been and who will be pushed almost beyond their limit. :cry:

Bigot: One fanatically devoted to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and intolerant of those who differ.
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary' target='_new'>Webster's

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes