Author Topic: Hyde / The family Foundation School  (Read 24410 times)

Offline mose

• View Profile
Hyde / The family Foundation School
« on: June 19, 2002, 06:08:00 PM »
Need information (both negative and positive) about recent experiences with Hyde School in Woodstock, CT and  The Family Foundation School in Hancock, New York.

Also does anyone have any recommendation for an authentically nurturing environment in a boarding school for a teen in recovery from drug addiction. She does not want to live at home or in NYC anymore.

mose
NYC
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 05:33:00 AM »
Hi, mose this is tommyfromhyde.
Please stay away from Hyde School! I know they
have a very slick pitch.
I was shipped off to Hyde in 1976 at age 14.
Hyde is a very cruel and sadistic place.
I witnessed people being forced to dig 6'holes
and fill them back in again over and over for
months at a time dawn to dusk. This is called
"work crew" at Hyde. This happens to people
not only for the obvious stuff but for not
being an athlete (and Hyde sports are BRUTAL),
a poor grade or because someone ELSE did something.
Anyway, I ran away from the place 3 times.
(from the Bath,ME campus not Woodstock,CT
which didn't exist in '76)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2002, 08:59:00 AM »
Hi Tommy,
It's sounded brutal for you to have gone to Hyde in the 1970's. But 1976 was a different era! I was a teen in the early 70's. I wouldn't judge anything from that era for a true assessment of how a place now runs. (except maybe Elan).

Hyde could not get away with this type of behavior towards kids in 2002 when they are called a "Boarding school".  Where would you send your teen who needed a school to attend. I'm definitely not looking for punishment for my daughter. She is a recovering drug addict 15 year old. She has the tools for recovery now she need a place to finish school in a healthy environment. She is not being forced to do this.  I do know that sports are used as a way to build character and confidence at Hyde. My daughter is a good athlete so she wouldn't mind the emphasis on sports.

Does anyone have any recent information about Hyde or a recommendation for a school?

Offline Cypress

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2002, 11:29:00 AM »

Hyde could not get away with this type of behavior towards kids in 2002 when they are called a "Boarding school".  

Just wondering how you can make such a statement? Do a bit of research and you will find that many of these "boarding schools" do in fact use rather harsh treatment to this day. Please, don't be fooled by slick advertising.

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2002, 07:42:00 PM »
On the contrary, although domestic violence and abuse by parents is a lot harder to get away with now than it used to be, abuse of kids and teens and adults in institutions both public and private are even more common than they were before because of the massive cash cow that providing these services represents, particularly to fringe and cult groups like Teen Help. Plus youth placement in lock-down facilities and "Treatment" have increased greatly because of the increasing fear of young people in our society and the blind acceptance of biological psychiatry that assumes that chemical imbalances and physical addictions are the source of most psychological and behavior problems.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2002, 02:03:00 PM »
STAY AWAY FROM THE FAMILY SCHOOL IN NY!!!!!!
I was there for a short time after Straight. It was slave labor camp and the "school" is not even credited in NY so you are just there for nothing. Cleaning and working around the farm is all you do. There is also the food issue if you don't eat what they put in front of you (I do not eat meat) they make you sit in front of it until it rots literally rots. It definatly was better then Straight but not good at all. Just say no!!
Take care Watch out!! ,kady :eek:
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2002, 07:43:00 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback. With intense research and phone calls I have realized Hyde is not the type of place that is appropriate for me to send my daughter.

I already know the Family Foundation school is wrong! wrong ! wrong for my daughter. I called them and they don't have educators with backgrounds in Education! When I asked they said some of the teachers don't have college degress. They also don't ever want to meet the student during the interview process.

Pretty scary!

mose

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2002, 11:12:00 PM »
:grin: I am so glad you took the time to research these places have you heard of Storm King in  Storm King NY? It is a boarding school. Maybe you might like to look at the information perhaps it is on the web. If an x-straightling recommends a school you had better believe it is not a brainwash sweat shop. check it out. The campus is beautiful and the art program ( I'm a wannabe artist) was excellent. That is all I know really and that it is pretty pricey. But not as much as say Choate or Emma Willard ya know. Take care Hope you find what you are looking for. Maybe it's just at home with you :wink:
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2002, 12:13:00 PM »
If you are looking primarily at boarding schools then Proctor is supposed to be a really good school. I think it is in New Hamshire or Vermont, but I hear the campus is beatiful with its own ski slope and all that jazz. My friend Alex went there for 3 or 4 years before he got expelled and sent to Alldredge.  Probably expensive but not nearly as expensive as some of these cult programs
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2002, 11:29:00 PM »
I have a customer/friend who's little step brother went to Hyde last year.

My friend started hearing some strange stuff and asked me if I knew anything about it. I knew Tommy, so I knew what happened there in the `70's. Jason's right; they don't change their spots, but they do get more adept at working the system.

This was not a "troubled kid", as such. Just a kid who was having a hard time making it accademically and who wanted a more formal, more disciplined environment. He went willingly. They simply told him and his parents what they wanted to hear--nice campus, excellent sports program, etc. They didn't know it at the time, but if they'd said "defiant kid" or "in trouble with law" or some such, they would have gotten a different pitch.

Anyway, they pulled the kid after the first semester when he started talking crazy stuff about how awful he had been and how he couldn't write more or spend time with them cause he had to devote himself more fully to religious salvation.

The parent weekend had been weird enough to get them really concerned. Then they found out about the group punishment when the kid couldn't write or take visitors or some damned thing because some other kid had broken a rule. Then it came out that, instead of brutalizing the kids on-site, they just hold the threat of Redcliff Accademy (wilderness deathmarch) over the kids' heads. And there were, at the time (probably are now), kids in the school who actually got sent to Redcliff and came back with stories to tell and 'that look' in their eye.

I'm glad you did the research to find out about this. I'm only posting this for future reference for people who come along with the same question. I wish I knew of some good boarding schools or something. But I'm just not of that set. The monied branch of my family just came with too many strings attached so I just wouldn't know.

But I think the correct answer is probably different for each kid. Does the kid want a boarding school? How come? Maybe "boarding school" is the only term she can think of to meet whatever needs she has. There are a whole range of other kinds of experiences that might better meet her needs. The important thing would be for her to explore all options ya'll mentoring grown-ups can think of for her and then decide together what would be the best next move.

I hope everything turns out ok for you. Please do stay in touch. We could use a little more contact with folks who don't make the mistakes our families have made.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2002, 03:12:00 PM »
Any information about the school would be greatly appreciated.  Are there any students who have attended?  I would like to hear what you have to say about your experiences.  My Sister is sending my Nephew and I am a concerned Aunt.  He is Bipolar 16 years old and out of control, he has started to threaten and hit his parents, break up and damage things in the house, etc, etc, some problems with the law, minor but they have his figure prints and he is in their records. The school was recommended by his doctor who says they have a large percentage of sucess with their program.  This young man is spoiled to no end and I am concerned he might not be able to get the program, everything has been done for him up to now.  He is currently on Rx and the school attempts to have the children off all Rx within 30 days.  Any information you have would be appreciated.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2002, 08:39:00 PM »
I sent my son to Hyde (Woodstock) for one year...on on the one hand they tell you that it's all your fault ('the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree') and the next minute, they are asking you for a donation.  You are right about the teachers (???) too!  Don't know much about education from what I could see.  The papers my son did in 6th grade were better than the 'papers' he wrote at Hyde...but they will tell you 'it's all about character'....but remember, it's your fault.  I'm glad that the truth about this place ($25,000+) is coming out!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2002, 12:01:00 PM »
hi,
  I just wondered if you found anything out about the Family Foundation School?  I am looking at it foer my son and want more info.  Thanks

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2002, 01:31:00 PM »
See Kady's earlier post "STAY AWAY FROM THE FAMILY SCHOOL IN NY!!!!!! "
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline melindafromhyde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2003, 04:13:00 PM »
Hi, I am glad to see that this issue is being discussed on the web.  Where to start... I attended the Hyde school in Bath, Maine in the 90s and had many experiences similar to what tommyfromhyde had in the 70s.  My parents decided to send me to the school after I was diagnosed as bipolar and attempted suicide the previous spring.  The program promised to "build character" with "the five words and principles" through academics, sports, and performing arts.  Besides the sports, I found the aspects of the program Hyde advertises to be quite lacking.  The academics were very poor--especially the American history, math and science programs.  History was a review of Jr. High, we did not do proofs in our geometry class, and did not balance any more than basic chemical equations (no acid base or redox reactions).

Hyde requires all of their new students to attend a 12 week summer program before entering for the fall term. During my summer at the school I witnessed many acts of both physical and emotional abuse, including a male student being forced to run three miles on a rough dirt road with a broken foot.  Only after the run was he allowed to go to the doctor; when he came back he had a cast on for the remainder of the summer.   In addition, they sent all of the "really bad kids"--i.e. the kids who were resistant to the program-- to secluded Sequin Island off the coast of Maine.  I was sent there and had to clip a 1/2 mile long trail with garden shears, run up and down the same trail at least five times, move boulders 1' in diameter off of the beach,  and swim out to a buoy and back in 50* ocean water.  When I was allowed to come back to the school campus, I had pneumonia.  The faculty at the school ignored all medical complaints from the students--many times resulting in the worsening condition of the child.

During the regular school year, I was disciplined for having sexual relations with my boyfriend (admittedly a bad thing for a 16 year old to do).  Instead of addressing the reasons behind my promiscuous behavior (low self-esteem and feeling abandoned and unloved by my parents) they humiliated me in front of the whole school by publicly discussing my actions and setting me apart from the rest of the student body cleaning and participating in harsh workouts (called "2-4") in silence instead of attending my classes. Finally, after a couple of days I refused to participate further with my punishment, and just sat down.  

The faculty responded by sending me out to the woods in a program called "outpost"--which is similar to, but not quite as severe as a wilderness program (they work you just as hard but feed you more than S.U.W.S., a wilderness program I attended in Idaho when I was 14).  Besides going through further emotional abuse by the faculty member leading the outpost program, I was also deprived of my lithium, an anti-manic drug prescribed to me by my psychiatrist.  This made me even more susceptible to their abuse.

In general, Hyde had a very backwards viewpoint on the advances in medical treatment of chemical imbalances, including medication and therapy.  They did not monitor whether or not students took their medication, "forgot" to pack my medication both times they sent me to outpost (I was sent again in the spring), and made it very difficult for me  to see a therapist off school grounds.  In order for me to do so, my psychiatrist had to write a note to the school telling them I had to be allowed to see a psychologist and that their own visiting psychiatrist (who came three times a year) was grossly inadequate for an adolescent who recently was diagnosed as bipolar and had attempted suicide.  Even after they reluctantly let me go, they sent me to a therapist of their choosing and wanted me to sign away my doctor-patient privileges, threatening that I had to do so in order to see the therapist.  I refused.  The faculty didn't push it for too long--we both knew it was illegal for them to require such a thing.

In general, the Hyde School in Bath, Maine participated in many cult-like practices.  It was a totalitarian closed system with the head of the school as the sole authoritarian leader with the faculty as his minions.  Since most of the FACULTY as well as students had had histories of emotional and/or drug problems, they were susceptible to being controlled through cruel practices of only being shown love, appreciation, and good will if following the "words and principles" as determined by the head of the school through the faculty.  A false sense of student participation in the organization of the school was created by so-called "student leaders", who were given special status as long as they helped to spread the "words and principles" and confront students who questioned or did not follow the system as it was determined.  These "student leaders" were instilled with the fear of falling from grace by the faculty if they did not do enough confronting and "narc"ing, or if they questioned any part of the practices of the school themselves.  This system created an almost political maneuvering within the student body, where no real friendships or other healthy relationships could survive for long.  In fact, each student lived in complete isolation and fear of being singled out by their teachers, councilors, and peers--further scarring them and making them even less prepared to work out their problems and become a productive and successful member of society.  

In short, instead of giving a troubled adolescent with emotional and/or drug problems a supportive and safe environment to work out their problems while getting back on track emotionally and socially through success in acedemics, extracurricular activities, and social interactions with peers, the Hyde school did the complete opposite.

In the end, the Hyde School only left me one thing: the knowledge that I can survive at least a year in a cult.