Author Topic: Botton Line$$$$$$$  (Read 2888 times)

Offline thepatriot

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« on: March 09, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »
Lets face it, the only reason there were set backs, start overs and
court orders were because of the DOLLAR$$$$$$ I was court ordered
because I had split twice. Staff recognized that they had controll of
my mother and step father and knew that they were committed to paying
the freight of my stay. That is why they suggested I be court ordered.
It's a shame that a parent would give up custody to the state of
Florida because they had a "Uncontrollable Child" what a load of shit.
I am now a parent of a 15 and 16 year old, they are my
responsibilty...to give up and turn them over to some organization
like Straight only admits failure as a parent. There is one thing
Straight did teach me, and that is to be a more compassionate parent.
Don't get me wrong I am hard but fare with my kids , I am a 6 year
verteran of the Army, but I know what my responsibilty and obligations
to them are. I would be dammed if I allowed some bullshit organization
like straight dictate to me what I do with my childrens well being.

Todd
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
arasota Straight Escapee

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »
That is the one saving grace for me.  I DID learn how NOT to deal with teenagers.  I know how you feel, got 2 teen girls.  It's scary as hell, I can understand parents getting frightened, but I can't understand for the life of me, sending them off to strangers.  There are a lot of mistakes I made as a parent, but at least I didn't make THAT one.  I know how to talk to my kids and have a REAL conversation, not just dictate what their behavior will be.  That's what a lot of us got put in there for.  I wasn't doing anything so out of the ordinary that I needed to be yanked out of everything familiar to me and get screamed at and called slut and whore for 10-12 hours a day.

I went in in 1981 (I think, I'm having a hard time figuring it out.  Mom doesn't remember and Dad doesn't talk to me).  They paid an initial enrollment fee, then monthly fees to Straight for treatment, then monthly food and housing fees.  Parents donated most food, so what were they charging for???  The money paid for my housing didn't go to the foster home I was in or even into a general housing fund, where did that go?  All of my 'wants and needs' (that always pissed me off, I got told shampoo was a want cause my long hair was a druggie image and if I wasn't going to cut it that I'd have to wash it with SOAP!) were paid for by my parents, I never saw a doctor or therapist....where did all that money go???  and all that endless fundraising that the parents did, didn't they have a thrift store?  Anyone remember where that was?

I have to pick my daughter up from the beach later today, maybe I'll take a drive my Ole Miller's house.  I'd like to see how well he's living off of our parents money.  I'll let you know later.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.
-- Plutarch

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »
There's no way in hell the Exec. Staff could think they were helping any of the kids--they were in it for the money and for getting their sick needs for control satisfied.  Those assholes are criminals who should pay for what they did to us.  Can't wait for Virgil's deposition.
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »
On 2004-03-09 08:15:00, RTP2003 wrote:

There's no way in hell the Exec. Staff could think they were helping any of the kids--they were in it for the money and for getting their sick needs for control satisfied.

Yeah, there is a way. Same way compulsive gamblers think they're going to win; wife beaters think they're straigtening out the stupid bitch and Billy Graham and Usama Bin Laden fully believe they're doing God's work.

Doesn't excuse them a bit. But, if you want to figure out what makes them tick, understand this. They do sincerely believe that they're the good guys and all us critics are evil, self deluded, dangerous bad guys.

When Plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in a society, they create for themselves in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
--Fredric Bastiat

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »
You know, you're right.  They probably are true believers, thinking they are actually fighting the good fight.  This, to me, illustrates the insane depth of their delusions and ignorance.  

If you look through history, you will see that the True Believers are much more harmful than the merely corrupt.  

I doubt very much that Miller and Ruthie sit back at home and drink toasts "To Evil!" while reminiscing about the years of abuse, but this in no way makes them any less responsible for the suffering they have caused.  If anything, claims that they are providing treatment and therapy, rather than merely giving advice, or even (trying not to laugh) dispensing wisdom, raise the standard to which they are held.

This said, I believe that Miller probably took an "ends justifies the means" philosophy and if it meant committing fraud against insurance companies, the government, and parents of "clients" in order for him to "carry the message", then by God, he was going to do it.

I kind of look at the fraud and such as a separate issue from the abuse, though they do intertwine.  Straight was fucked up on so many different levels, it's hard to know where to begin.

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »
That was me--forgot to log in.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 12:35:00 PM »
With Miller and Ruth Ann I think it was complete narcissism.  I really do.  He LOVED being the guru that everyone turned to for help.  The brilliant one who had all the answers.  He fucking LIVED for that.  People like my dad, who ended up being very similar to Newton, are on a different level.  I think my dad really believes what was sold to him.  He's not a bad man, in fact, he's one of the best people I know.  That why it hurts so much to be cut off from him.  If he was just an asshole, I could just write him off, but I can't.  He really believes what he did and what he is still doing (having no contact with me at all) were and are the right things to do.  I have no doubt that he truly believes that.  I also have no doubt that there is some of the narcissism in him too.  My dad was always the 'strong one' out of my parents.  Mom always needed help, couldn't make the important decision etc.  When he met up with Newton, it reinforced all of his bad behaviors and gave him the 'good intentions' behind those behaviors to justify them.  He very much needs to be in control of every aspect of life.  He ended up being the parent that everyone turned to.  So strong and smart, knew just what to say to everyone, very charismatic.  I think I just realized that it's much easier for my dad to live in that world because then he has to take no responsibility for what happened to me before, during and after Straight.  It's much easier for him to sit up on his pedestal and find all the reasons why he's right and it's OK to behave the way he has.

I think my point in this is that the kinds of people who seem to be drawn to work in these places, at least the execs, really get off on the control.  They have some incessant need to be adored and believe that they alone (or their program) have the answer.  Reminds me of the kind of shit you read about Bill W.   That's not intended to start a tirade about AA, but I think even AA supporters would agree that he was one twisted fuck.  Whatever this narcissistic disorder is, it is extremely dangerous.

You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it stink (any more than it already does)
-- Job

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »
I think the elements of narcissism and wannabe guruness were prominent in the picture.  They may have believed that they were "called by God" or at least "gifted" and thought that by using their abilities to create and run Straight, Etc. they were contributing to the overall good.  We see them for the egomaniacs they are, but they are blind to it because of their "inspiration".  This enables them to justify any action they take because they see it as contributing to the overall plan.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 01:18:00 PM »
Nina! I've always wanted to meet you!  :eek:

I really liked NunSexMonkRock...

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »

On 2004-03-09 10:18:00, Froderik13 wrote:

"Nina! I've always wanted to meet you!  :wink:

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »
I have to pick my daughter up from the beach later today, maybe I'll take a drive my Ole Miller's house. I'd like to see how well he's living off of our parents money. I'll let you know later.

I'll be looking out for you. Stop in for a shot of bourbon if you'd like. Mr. Toy may be stopping by 8:30ish with some of the Devil's Dandruff.  :cool:
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »
Mr. Toy... :razz:  :lol:  I still don't remember him, but the name cracks me up.

I got a 'shot' for ya alright.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
--Anonymous

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 05:32:00 PM »
I have often wondered about that, meaning their intentions. I am pretty sure they don't raise their glasses to evil....I hope. But, do they think the ends justified the means? Did they just get caught up in the money? Are they just too deep in it now to admit wrongdoing....

What do they really think about their program? What do they think about what all the suicides that they were just druggies and thats what happened and that is why. Do they see any wrong in what they did at all..are they in "denial"

we will never know of course, unless some deathbed confession makes its way to the 6:00 news but I do wonder.

It could have gone so much better if it was just done a little differently. They had everything in place to make something good *I think* if it wasn't gone about in such a cruel way. Why didn't they try to build us up instead of breaking us down? I don't know....end ramble

Education is that which remains, if one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
--Albert Einstein, Out of My Later Years, 1950

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »
**puffs on joint** dude, like wow...

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Botton Line$$$$$$$
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 05:54:00 PM »
On 2004-03-09 14:32:00, kaydeejaded wrote:

Why didn't they try to build us up instead of breaking us down? I don't know....end ramble

Because that would mean that they would have little or no control over us.  That would NEVER do.  If you're beaten down enough, you'll submit to just about anything.  You can't 'modify behaviors' without the 'breakdown'.

No synonym for God is so perfect as Beauty. Whether as seen carving the lines of the mountains with glaciers, or gathering matter into stars, or planning the movements of water, or gardening - still all is Beauty!
-- John Muir

t. Pete Straight
early 80s