Author Topic: allright..so crucify me for this one...  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
allright..so crucify me for this one...
« on: February 17, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »
Hey all--

Just a little bit of opinion and maybe a tad of advice thrown in.  I am not trying to censor or downplay anyones feelings or opinions....let me repeat that I AM NOT TRYING TO CENSOR OR DOWNPLAY ANYONES FEELINGS OR OPINIONS.....got it?  Gotta make sure........BUT...

This board is a voice for Survivors, not only to each other, but to those  who want to better understand our plight.  Posting about fucking so and so...and generally off topic rambling can look a bit shady to those not so clear on exactly what or who we are, and why we all post here.

Let me say that rather than look at this as being censored by others (namely me in this post) look at it as an attempt to censor yourself in the name of the cause.  

When someone who is influential or otherwise a possible supporter for our cause logs onto this forum, the last thing they are going to want to get involved with is a bunch of backwater trashtalking and incoherent rambling.  We need to take it upon ourselves to step up and give an appreance of people who arent totally messed up, not so much in that we cant even support a coherent discussion forum anyway. Given all the attention that we potentially may garner.

Now is the time when our "cause" is on the verge of taking off, and I would think that although we have many feelings of hatred, resentment, and anger still about our treatment in the past....we can possibly better channel it into something useful, by our own volition.  Do you get me?  My suggestion is reserve the more heavy stuff for a private messaging partner...or invite someone in on a private chat.  There is no reason why the anger shouldnt be voiced you guys....but if anyone is ever going to take this thing seriously...the least we could do is reign ourselves in a bit and give those fighting on the frontlines that much more help in not having to sift out the insanity and present us to the world.

This is just a thought you all, im not trying to put anyone down...we just have to think bigger than whats been posted around here lately.

I am open to response on this...its just my viewpoint.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
ok, as one who has posted rambling shit at times on this board, I agree with Carmel.  I'll stop; but to be honest, some of the shit about ruthie and coke bottles made me laugh so fucking hard that tears came out of my eyes.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more. I really wish people could show a little more dignity, maturity, and self control. I've been pretty embarrassed for the postings lately, and haven?t wanted to post as a result of it. This is a very important time, and it ruins the appearance, and credibility of the straight survivors to have all of this tasteless, thoughtless crap on the board. It serves no purpose, it makes us look terrible as survivors, and does nothing for our cause. It's enough to drive people away.

Thank you for starting this thread, I hope it helps get the point across.

Carmel------> ::kiss:: <------me

Step 1. We came to understand that the government is powerless over people's private use of drugs and that the War on Drugs was making the government's life unmanageable.

--Scott Tillinghast

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 09:56:00 PM »
:roll: Yeah, and thanks for posting anon, so you can't edit or delete this useless comment.

When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
--
Anonymous . . . for obvious reasons

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »
Well, they wouldn't be able to delete it anyway, since you quoted them already...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 10:35:00 PM »
Sometimes I think people write posts like "I fucked Miller's mom" as a way of venting their anger for what they experienced at Straight.  If writing a piece of fiction has some kind of therapeutic value to them, then by all means they should continue to do so.  They paid their dues for membership in this club, they have a right to their feelings and quite possibly they are getting more therapeutic value out of their ramblings than others may get by having hourlong shoutfests outside of Mel Sembler's.  I saw the POTTV episode about Straight, and I can tell you that a lot of the "activism" I saw was really quite sad.  Three people shouting slogans over a bullhorn and carrying folded signs for han hour is not my idea of an effective protest against the perpetrators of the American Nightmare that was Straight, Inc.  
     I also nearly cried from laughing so hard at a couple of the posts, some of those guys seem like talented writers.  If by laughing at the situations described in the posts helps me put my experience at the Straight gulag (StPete-early 80s) behind me and makes it a little less painful,  then they have done me a wonderful service.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »
Whip me 'til I bleed, but I agree. Laughter is the best medicine. Maybe it puts some people off, granted. But then so do a lot of things. People who read between the lines will keep reading... :smokin:

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 10:43:00 PM »
yeah I kind of agree there everything is so serious, I don't think I can take all seriousness all the time, if we were just to post serious thing after serious thing

I'd soon blow my brains out

but lets not become Elan jr over here ....they scare me

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit  people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good?  Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?

--Frederic Bastiat -- 1801-1850

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 06:27:00 AM »
EDIT : no longer relevant

[ This Message was edited by: Therion on 2004-02-21 14:35 ]
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed

Offline Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 06:33:00 AM »
EDIT; No longer relevant

[ This Message was edited by: Therion on 2004-02-21 14:35 ]
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »
[/quote]"Yeah, and thanks for posting anon, so you can't edit or delete this useless comment"
[/quote]

whatever.  :roll:

Offline Idreamofnewtonsburning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »
As the author of a couple of the posts that you refer to, I felt obligated to speak out on this thread.  The posts are obviously intended to be therapeutic and entertaining.  It helps me (and apparently a few others, judging by the comments) deal with what has to be, hands-down the worst episode of my life.  I may have a sick sense of humor, granted.  I may be "dwelling in the past" and not "getting over it".  I don't care.  It amuses me to think about the perpetrators of Straight in unpleasant situations, and I enjoy sharing these amusing stories with others, particularly Survivors who will know the people and situations I'm writing about, and who will get the "inside jokes" or references to certain aspects of the stories that would be meaningless to outsiders.
dreamofnewtonsburning uses and endorses TBPITW

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »
On 2004-02-17 19:34:00, Froderik13 wrote:

"Well, they wouldn't be able to delete it anyway, since you quoted them already..."

Yes, but I can edit my post!  :idea:  :wink:

Ardent advocates of prohibition were obsessed by a zeal that bordered on fanaticism. They supported politicians who voted to outlaw liquor, no matter how much of it they privately consumed, and spurned politicians who voted against prohibition, no matter how sober they were personally.
http://www.ncpoliticalreview.com/1101/Ervin/cohen.htm' target='_new'>Sen. Sam Ervin, Preserving The Constitution

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »
Right, the thought occurred to me later that you could put words into/take them out of his/her mouth (by editing his/her quote) but why on earth would you want to do that?  :roll:

Anal people of the world unite!

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »
I wouldn't edit someone else's post, Alex.

I don't go lookin' for trouble. I just keep a little in a box should someone come by who is.
--Bill Warbis