Author Topic: Founder of Reality-Check Detroit sent to prison  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Founder of Reality-Check Detroit sent to prison
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
Quote from: The Oakland Press
Former Detroit police officer sentenced to prison for sexual assaults
By Dave Phillips, The Oakland Press, September 23, 2013

An Oakland County Circuit Court judge exceeded the guidelines Monday morning while sentencing a former Detroit police officer convicted of statutory rape.

Geoffrey Townsend, 46, of Farmington Hills  was sentenced to 10 to 15 years in prison Monday by Circuit Judge Martha Anderson.

The guidelines for Townsend — convicted of six counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct — were between 51 to 85 months, attorneys agreed, but Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Tricia Dare asked Anderson to exceed them.

"This court is going to deviate from the guidelines based upon the fact that you were a law enforcement officer, that you used that position to cultivate relationships with the victims and then to abuse them, and also because of all of the sexual acts that took place that were not accounted for in the charges against you," Anderson said.

Townsend met his victims through Reality Check Detroit, a boot camp for troubled teens that he ran for several years.

For one victim, Townsend was charged with three counts of criminal sexual conduct, but the victim said she had sex with him more than 50 times.

That victim's mother addressed the court prior to sentencing.

"All we did was trusted him, a man of the law," the mother said.

"You're a coward. You had a choice. You planned, you picked and you chose what you wanted to do and who you wanted to do it to."

The mother said her daughter is "angry, hurt, depressed," has sleepless nights and nightmares, and feels as though she was shamed and violated.

"Even her self-esteem is low," the mother said.

"I feel these things with her. He robbed her of even trying to find herself while she was struggling through personal problems. He's destroyed our family with embarrassment and shame. "
A second victim also addressed the court.

"I'm kind of ecstatic that he's being sentenced today," she said, wiping away tears.

Her mother also spoke prior to sentencing.

"We've been through a lot," she said.

"I'm just glad this is going on. (My daughter has) been through a lot of depression. She's even had suicidal thoughts. We'll be OK now. Thank you."

Townsend spoke briefly before Anderson sentenced him.

"I ask that the court would be generous with the sentencing time," he said.

"I have my family here, my mom, and I just ask that you be merciful with the time."

John Brusstar, who represents Townsend, said his client had plenty of support and has done "a lot of great things." He also mentioned several letters that Townsend's supporters wrote to Anderson.

"I understand that all of the people who wrote letters about you defend you with respect to the charges you were found guilty of," Anderson said.

"They feel there was no way that you could have committed them. The last letter I just received and looked at this morning even seems to want to victimize the victims in that they were the ones who made up this story.

"A jury of 12 people did not believe that was the case. They believe the victims' testimony and they believed the testimony of all the other witnesses who took the witness stand. Even though you set up this program, you were a police officer at the time and you had an oath to serve and protect, and you did neither, sir."

Anderson said Townsend victimized the families as well as the children.

"They are suffering, going through very traumatic issues," she said.

"(The victims) were bruised when they came to you, and instead of healing their bruises, you made them worse. I certainly hope, based upon these letters, that there is good in you, sir, and I hope that good will come out in the future, but for the time being, you're going to have to pay for your acts."