Author Topic: New facility in La Verkin  (Read 6595 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
New facility in La Verkin
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »
In order to save money a lot of programs share the secure campus in La Verkin first used by Cross Creek program.

* Horizon Academy moved most of their detainees to La Verkin due to a water dispute.
* A former Spring Creek manager has started a wilderness program operating from La Verkin. It is called River View
* The founder of Copper Canyon Academy has rented Lichfields former private home outside La Verkin. It is called Ashcreek Ranch Academy
*Cross Creek Programs is still marketed.
* Youth Foundations Academy is a new program. They have just been in the news. They claim that they are non-profit.

News: Boy Rescued After Falling 60 Feet In Kanarraville, KUTV news, May 15, 2013

It is cheaper to share guards and other employees than each program hiring their own.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
Re: New facility in La Verkin
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
I did a check of the Utah Department of Licensing website and Cross Creek Academy/Cross Creek Programs are nowhere to be found, nor is Horizon Academy.  As far as the Utah licensing department is concerned, the only "WWASP" program that is left is the Youth Foundations, Inc.  

As I was doing my research I also found another interesting factoid.  Kelly Anderson is the licensor of Youth Foundations, Inc., same Kelly Anderson who is the licensor of Diamond Ranch Academy.  Makes some sense as they're both in Washington County, Utah.  In fact, Kelly Anderson is responsible for the oversight of most of the facilities in Washington County, Utah (Greg Hirst is responsible for a few).  Here is the list of facilities that Kelly Anderson is responsible for the oversight for:

Kolob Canyon
Cinnamon Hills Youth Center
Desert Solace
Diamond Ranch Academy
Falcon Ridge Ranch
Lava Heights Academy
Liahona Academy
Red Rock Canyon School
The Bridge Recovery Center
Youth Foundation, Inc.
Red Cliff Ascent
Abundant Life Academy

So, in light of the incident at Youth Foundation, Inc. this week, and in light of George Miller reissuing SCARPTA, I think we have an opportunity to prove a point.  So what is it Utah, do you have a licensing system worth a hill of beans or not?  Because right now it looks like you're complicit in the whitewashing of child abuse.  If Utah isn't willing to lift a finger to keep a WWASP lifer from abusing and neglecting youth, and is even complicit in allowing them to change names to try to cover up their past, than what assurance do we have that they have any ability to keep the youth in other programs safe?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
Good to see you back, Brian.  I like the questions you ask about what a hill of beans regulation means in Utah.  I'm not sure it means a "hill of beans" anywhere or ever will.  Perhaps it's better than nothing, but we've had that debate before anyway.  I'm not at all surprised to hear that WWASP is changing a program name again.  It's well known for doing just that.  Is there any evidence the programs described by Oscar in the OP are actually separate programs run from the same location?  It sounds to me like it's possible they're just different marketing faces of the very same program.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
Has anyone considered calling the local school district to see if this.. Youth Foundation (bastards).. is under the umbrella of the local school district and what the rules are, if any, for student/teacher ratios on field trips?

bit of a long shot I'm thinking, but you could get lucky, it's happened before.

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »
To the extent that their officially recognized by the state of Utah there are five seperate licenses issued under Youth Foundation, Inc. at the old location of Cross Creek Programs - you do the math.

In terms of their official designation, Youth Foundation, Inc. is the new WWASP.  While Horizon and Cross Creek are still being advertised, in the eyes of Utah those programs don't exist anymore, even if they're being marketed as such.

By my count that makes it now:

Youth Foundation, Inc
Midwest Academy
Red River Academy
Sunset Bay Academy
Old West Academy

This is what's left of the WWASP empire.  It's curious that they are advertising Youth Foundation, Inc. as a non-profit.  It's clear that they're trying to adapt to what they see as the trends in the industry, and throwing around marketing concepts as if it was nothing.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »
Quote from: "blombrowski"
This is what's left of the WWASP empire.  It's curious that they are advertising Youth Foundation, Inc. as a non-profit.

It's a shame they didn't name their umbrella "Freedom Ranches" or donate to Romney.  They might have gotten audited repeatedly.  I haven't been paying that much attention this past year.  Is WWASP really on the ropes?  Or do you think they have a chance of rebuilding their empire?
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
To the extent that their officially recognized by the state of Utah there are five seperate licenses issued under Youth Foundation, Inc. at the old location of Cross Creek Programs - you do the math.

In terms of their official designation, Youth Foundation, Inc. is the new WWASP.  While Horizon and Cross Creek are still being advertised, in the eyes of Utah those programs don't exist anymore, even if they're being marketed as such.

By my count that makes it now:

Youth Foundation, Inc
Midwest Academy
Red River Academy
Sunset Bay Academy
Old West Academy

This is what's left of the WWASP empire.  It's curious that they are advertising Youth Foundation, Inc. as a non-profit.  It's clear that they're trying to adapt to what they see as the trends in the industry, and throwing around marketing concepts as if it was nothing.

Jesus christ... what a nightmare. It's like the empire of evil meets the sith.

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
There was a time that WWASP was the go-to brand name in adolescent behavioral modification.  That brand name is now toxic.  They can't leverage their network the same way that they used to with impunity.  So ultimately from a branding perspective, their five individual programs are left to compete with the rest of the industry.  And as consumers of the industry have more information to make their decisions, they are able to ask the kinds of questions that put the WWASP programs at a disadvantage (hence the non-profit label).

In a sense the entire NATSAP/IECA infrastructure makes sense as a quality assurance mechanism if and only if you're comparing it to the WWASP programs and the other programs that have in-house educational consultants.

I don't think WWASP will ever be what it once was, but unfortunately Jade Robinson isn't going anywhere nor are the other individuals who make up the industry, short of them being convicted of a crime and sent to jail.  Just look at this fellow - still working in the recovery field - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bill-hoffman/39/930/60 although thankfully is now working with adults.  

At the very least though, a state shouldn't be giving him a license to run a teen behavior modification facility.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bill-hoffman/39/930/60 although thankfully is now working with adults.
Interesting. He worked at CEDU/Hilltop in Running Springs like Jayne Longnecker did before she started Benchmark.  I wonder if that's why there is so much similarity between MBA's LifeSteps and the Friendship Worshop at Benchmark, down the the French maid outfit.  Both likely had a lot of influence from the particular variation of Propheets practiced at Hilltop.  Makes you wonder what would happen with WWASP staffers if WWASP ever shut down.  They could just spread to the four corners of the globe and start their own programs with a similar level structure and similar LGAT seminars.  You know if there has been any staff crossover between WWASP programs and the "softer" more psychological CEDU clones around nowadays yet?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
If you call their office they will not guide you to Sunset Bay Academy because the new owners stole the curriculum when they were named Oceanside and changed a new names of the seminars and put them in a new order. Sunset is owned by the Heredia family in San Ysidro and they played WWASP. Their firm is registered in Mexico and I guess that the civil court system leaves nothing to come for.

They have recently rented a larger worndown hotel down in Rosarito at the beach where it is easier to make photo manipulation showing the teenagers having a good time.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 01:30:23 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
If you call their office they will not guide you to Sunset Bay Academy because the new owners stole the curriculum when they were named Oceanside and changed a new names of the seminars and put them in a new order. Sunset is owned by the Heredia family in San Ysidro and they played WWASP. Their firm is registered in Mexico and I guess that the civil court system leaves nothing to come for.

They have recently rented a larger worndown hotel down in Rosarito at the beach where it is easier to make photo manipulation showing the teenagers having a good time.

You have directions to this place and contact info?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 09:14:49 AM »
The new hotel (Hotel Villa Serena Living):

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rosarito ... exico&z=19

The old hotel (Hotel Camino Inn):
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rosarito ... exico&z=19