Author Topic: What is being done about offsets of STRAIGHT?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What is being done about offsets of STRAIGHT?
« on: February 04, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »
Hello, I'm just wondering if anything is being done about programs that seem to resemble Straight in their methods. For example Pathway Family Center is a program located in Southfield, Michigan and Indianapolis, Indiana, and it (PFC)seems to have the same skeleton of Straight. Are there other programs like Pathway around? What are you guys doing to stop programs like Pathway, and what progress have you made so far. These programs all seem to be supported by the COA while it seems as if this accreditation should be questioned.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »
I think if you look around, your questions will answer themselves. That's what this site is dedicated to providing a vent for.

Click the: "Hot Topics"

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
-- Dave Barry

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »
Hmmm, I suppose you're correct in a sense Morli, but being as I reside in Michigan and have a former relationship with Pathway, I can say that apart from some issues Pathway had a few months ago with a former graduate, no organization seems to be keeping Pathway under fire anymore. I only mention Pathway, again, because of my former connection to the place.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 02:44:00 PM »
How long has this web site been up, and have you actually succeeded in shutting any program down?

Offline Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 01:20:00 AM »
Awareness is spread. Stories are told.
Most of these places have enormous political clout and plenty of cash for lawsuits.

I think "shutting down" programs is a little far sighted...sure seems impossible.

But...the stories are here for people to read.
And mabey just a few less kids will be incarcerated.

Ask not what fornits does for society...but what society can do to help fornits...to help society...err something
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 05:32:00 AM »
A couple of institutions have been shut down since the inception of this website anonymous.
silly.

Offline smack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 05:38:00 AM »
what are you doing about it. don't pass the buck, if you know about it and/or are connected to it dosomething abot it. protest in the street call your local police or news channel or paper,

Offline 12stepper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »
[ This Message was edited by: 12stepper on 2004-02-07 08:00 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »
Actually I am with a newspaper possibly looking to do a story on the damaging aspects of programs like Straight. The problem is, we would need to know specifics about what is being done about the abusive nature of these programs. You have to understand, rehabilitation programs (naming I speak about Pathway), have a tremendous amount of good press.

If some bad press for a program like Pathway were to come out, it would be competing with some pretty good statistics; whether or not these statistics are valid is irrelevant. I need to show that other programs with very similiar qualities have been shut down, and it would help if I knew why they were shut down.

This is the reason why the story is still up in the air. There are other groups (ISAC?) that also function to stop abusive treatment programs, but other than getting acreditation held up on some of these programs, protests don't get to far. Not to be rude, but there seems to be a whole lot of talk regarding the abusive qualities of drug rehabilitation programs, but personally I have not seen much action.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 12:02:00 PM »
There have been places shut down and sued. There are actions being taken. I'm not getting your angle, Anonymous.

You can look and see how long this site's been here by going to the member's list.

What was your association with Pathway? Are you aware of mismanagement at Pathway?

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
--Voltaire (1694-1778)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 12:03:00 PM »
too many captains trying to steer the ship is what I've seen.  Everyone has the right intentions here.  We all want to see these programs shut down, but I think the previous poster made an excellent point.  There's not one group that is actually LEADing.  We all want to do something, I just don't think we know the best way to go about putting it into action. Plus, the arguing and backbiting has made it nearly impossible to get anything accomplished.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 12:34:00 PM »
This point has been brought up before. I guess the leader would be the one to actually break through, and make a difference. I agree that obviously has not happened yet. It's very frustrating. Not to discredit Wes Fager, and all the others working to journalize and publicize this subject. It's a difficult one to get others, who haven't been involved in it, to understand it. More public gatherings, and speakers, would help. The problem is that those need $ponsor$hip.

It really puzzles me to see Marijuana connected with Narcotics - Dope and all that crap?it's a thousand times better than whiskey - it's an Assistant - a friend.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002ORZ/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Louis Armstrong

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 08:47:00 PM »
Morli,
What do you mean by the "mismanagement of Pathway?"

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 04:17:00 PM »
I mean managed poorly, ei; illegally, or unethically.

Answering a question, with a question, about the question, is a dead givaway though.

If I am of the opinion that it is inexpedient to assign to the government the task of operating railroads, hotels, or mines, I am not an "enemy of the state" any more than I can be called an enemy of sulfuric acid because I am of the opinion that, useful though it may be for many purposes, it is not suitable either for drinking, or for washing one's hands.
http://www.mises.org/liberal/ch1sec7.asp' target='_new'>Ludwig Von Mises

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 01:12:00 PM »
Yes, I understand what mismanagment is. I am a journalist for a very prominent newspaper. I meant what is the nature of the mismanagment of Pathway. It appears that this group is not interested in having an article written on the "nature" of abusive rehabilitation programs.

It seems that I was correct in my assumption that this group prefers senseless jabber and witticisms (Morli) over action. All of the articles that are released on these programs (again I speak mainly on Pathway) are very positive and supportive of what you call "concentration camps" and such. I have not seen even one article published speaking out against these programs, and it being that this group is uninterested in my proposal, it appears that you missed your chance.
Good bye.