Author Topic: Pretense of piety in the wonderful USA.  (Read 2636 times)

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Pretense of piety in the wonderful USA.
« on: January 07, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »

Are we not, in one way or another, brainwashed into something to fear on a daily basis? And is that not used as a marketing technique? Would you say that the average American consumes because of fear over 45% percent of their lives?
(By consume I mean spend.)

How many people who say they are different, really are?

Innocence implies the ability to restrain from the initiation of aggression, and to question those who don't.
http://www.MisesRomania.org' target='_new'>Sorin Cucerai

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
Interesting topic. Let's see...alarms of every kind..gotta have a cell phone everywhere you go in case something happens..defense spending..the war on drugs..yada yada..ummm,,fear of looking fat,(and not being "beautiful") etc..gotta buy some diet pills or go work off those pounds..
next..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »
"Are we not, in one way or another, brainwashed into something to fear on a daily basis?"

Hell yes.........and where do we get it from?  the damned TV, or one-eyed-babysitter.

I think TV has been one of the worst inventions in the 20th century.  We have become watchers of reality.

I got rid of cable about 6 months ago.  My daughter begged for awhile but now she doesn't miss it at all.  Because she is busy with her own life and not watching the Damed BOX.

Free youself from visual crap and turn it off!  You will be amazed what a difference it makes.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »
yes... fear sure does sell like gangbusters. what does that say about americans/the american government? are we really so free?

I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

--Thomas Carlyle

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 10:56:00 PM »
I was just thinking...piety? Or did you mean to say security?

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »
On 2004-01-07 19:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

""Are we not, in one way or another, brainwashed into something to fear on a daily basis?"

Hell yes.........and where do we get it from?  the damned TV, or one-eyed-babysitter.

I think TV has been one of the worst inventions in the 20th century.  We have become watchers of reality.

I got rid of cable about 6 months ago.  My daughter begged for awhile but now she doesn't miss it at all.  Because she is busy with her own life and not watching the Damed BOX.

Free youself from visual crap and turn it off!  You will be amazed what a difference it makes.

"

I don't watch television. Television is the great satan.

The right of self-defense is the first law of nature . . and when the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.

--St. George Tucker, in his edition of Blackstone's Commentaries

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »
On 2004-01-07 19:56:00, Froderik13 wrote:

"I was just thinking...piety? Or did you mean to say security?"

pretense of piety -- hypocrisy

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.
--Thomas Brackett Reed

Offline Dr. Frank'nFurter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 11:22:00 PM »
Damn straight (oh god, I used the word!) there Ms. Morli.  I can almost sense that you have seen the Micheal Moore film BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE.  There was a triumphant scene where he interviews Marilyn Manson and Manson goes into a tear about how it's all about fear and consumption.  It was one of the most gripping parts of the documentary.
If any of you have not seen this eye opening film, I urge you to do so.  It is available at almost any Video Rental Outlet such as Blockbuster, or Hollywood Video and the price has come down on it as of late.  I absolutely LOVED the film myself, and own a copy.  I personally feel that the so called "Flu Epidemic Scare" we had this year was a bunch of bullshit aimed to create fear and panic, and to bolster the coffers of the American Pharmaceutical Conglomerates.  I can recall that in 1989, 53 folks died of influenza complications and there was hardly a stir, whereas this year, only 47 people died of this so called "Killer Flu."  The only difference in my humble opinion was the widespread media coverage that created a sense of panic that resulted in "shortages" of the flu vacciene much like the "shortages" of gasoline in 1978 and '79 that led to gasoline permanently rising above a dollar a gallon.  God Bless George Bush, Hallejullia, pass me some more BBQ pork!!!

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 11:40:00 PM »
hey frank!! i love that movie. marilyn manson speaks with great intelligence. i never really got into his music, but the boy can write/think. i like listening to him. he spoke on new years eve on ozzy's wife's talk show. i like him.

i need to own a copy of that movie...

The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it.
--  J. Robert Oppenheimer

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2004, 11:43:00 PM »
micheal moore is pretty awesome too.  i don't care what anyone says, he's cool.

Everything that people say to you is personal. Whether it is constructive criticism or not will determine whether it cam from and asshole or not.

----Bill Warbis

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »
yeah I want to watch that movie, I never watch movies

Marilyn Manson really? Intersting I kinda liked the message in his one song about beauty image and stuff but I was turned off by the thought he was overplaying his weirdness to the media, but I would love to hear his opinions.

Fear does sell, vitamins, better cars, alarm systems, God, religon, gym memberships, asprin, you name it. Hell bomb shelters in the 60's was it?

bummer doesn't anyone want happiness instead of a profit you can't take it with you...

A multitude of laws in a country is like a great number of physicians, a sign of weakness and malady.

--Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 09:19:00 AM »
micheal moore is pretty awesome too. i don't care what anyone says, he's cool

Indeed he is, but so easy to goof on...

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »
Micheal Moore!

That guy is the biggest waste of sperm on the entire planet! What a scabby douche bag! Ack! Pfft!

Really funny his name comes up in a thread on pretense! Talk about poetry!

CL

[ This Message was edited by: ClayL on 2004-01-08 07:07 ]

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 10:57:00 AM »
Honestly, I don't know much about this guy. Never saw the movie Bowling For Columbine. All I know is that he has a penchant for exposing corruption in our government, which I admire. Why do you find him pretentious? Just curious, I like hearing both sides..

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »
and here i thought clay was going to enlighten us about media brainwashing and national hypocrisy... ::mecry::

I believe that human beings arrive on this Earth wanting to know absolutely everything, and the best thing we can do as parents is to get out of the way -- just be there to let them know what opportunities are there
-- Dorothy Werner, media liaison for the National Homeschool Association