Author Topic: edmund muskie  (Read 5259 times)

Offline Thom

• View Profile
edmund muskie
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 01:28:00 AM »
On 2005-02-15 22:16:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2005-02-15 21:15:00, Thom wrote:

"yenzer? Google wouldn't tell me what that means :cry: "

Ah, sorry. I thought that would come up pretty easy, but it doesn't.

http://www.pitt.edu/utimes/issues/29/030697/16.html

Given the choice between dancing pigs and security, people will choose dancing pigs every time.
-- Ed Felton (quoted in www-security about Active-X)

"

I'm a little hard-headed, granite, but I didn't see that word there. Is it 'you all are'? If that's the case, does it include all Y'all?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
edmund muskie
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »
On 2005-02-15 22:28:00, Thom wrote:

I'm a little hard-headed, granite, but I didn't see that word there. Is it 'you all are'? If that's the case, does it include all Y'all?
"

Yeah. The professor spells it "yunz". But it usually sounds more like "yenz". It's kind of a compliment when someone calls you yenz. People here really do have sort of a mass low self esteem complex and that one distinctive word is like an emblem of all that they think is shameful about the local culture. So if someone uses it around you, it may mean they sort of trust you a little.

I think it's sort of funny because it's by no means the worst gramatical error in common speech. Shakespeare would be lost here because the words "to be" are not used. The road "needs salted" or the dog "needs worshed", but nothing at all is to be. A guy from So. Africa who moved here a few years ago actually looked up the reason why. It's because of the German culure. In German, there is no form of "to be" and that's carried over into the local language.

Anyway, aside from that the men tend to cry whenever you put a camera in their faces, I like the local culture a lot! It's not unlike how Lyons Park was when we were kids, except that there's a much more enduring and solid claim to history. So I'm hoping it'll keep on not progressing and getting with the times in some ways.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

--Thomas Jefferson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
edmund muskie
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »
I never cried at the Seed. I wanted to, as it was a sign of being authentic or real, but could not shed a tear. I was completely emotionally shut down, and I had been for a number of years prior to entering the Seed. This was a symptom of the depression that I felt, and that continued on through my Seed experience for a number of years after.

Today I am very emotional, and as my wife likes to point out, I cry way more than she does. This is a tremendous release to me, and I usually cry when something moves me. It's part of being authentic and human.

There was a lot of tears and some sobbing at the Seed, and I'm sure it was well-intentioned, but I am also sure a lot of it was forced.

I remember Art defending Muskie on this, to his credit, but on the other hand, since all my emotions were subject to intense self-editing, how could I be authentic at the Seed?

I refuse to subject my emotions to anyone's expectations - I will laugh, cry, and get outraged when I feel that way. Damn good feeling too.
ally Gator

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
edmund muskie
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
I cried at the Seed when I was originally sent there in '78. I cried everytime I was called on in raps. I think because I was 14 and afraid, they kept telling me I was a punk from the suburbs, that if I had ever been in their "streets" they would have had me for lunch or something like that. I think because of that and because they kept telling me my family didn't care about me, the furthest thing from the truth. My Mom was so worried about me getting raped in Youth Commission, she sold her antique to get the $3000.00 that it cost to send me to the Seed in '78.
I just sort of bought into the whole thing. I can remember having to "testify in the group with tears streaming down my face that Art saved my life. Which is funny because I had only seen him once.
After moving to Ft. Lauderdale in '82, I never cried again at the Seed. I think inside I must have known it wasn't a place that I felt like I could be myself at. I know I pretended to be somebody I wasn't. Whether it was trying to pick up a bit of a southern accent, because of guys like Phil S. or Brad B. I always felt like they wanted more from me than just me. Which is ironic, because they always said you can be yourself at the Seed, and you are loved and wanted.

Offline echothis

• View Profile
edmund muskie
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »
I wasn't implying he lost his presidential aspirations due to his meltdown at the Seed.  I was telling what I remembered.
 :silly:
harter Member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy

Offline surfdal

• View Profile
edmund muskie
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »
thanks for all the response yall.somehow ive managed to block a good bit of my seed experiences out..dispised  the seed and everything it stood for..but was trapped and had to dance the dance in order to find the correct time to make the change.. knew many others who were also dancin their asses off...lol only part i fondly remember was the entertaining times whenhuman dramas erupted and staff's would split over romantic entanglements or truth's divulged. remember a very popular staff named "charlie" who caused extreme drama to erupt by driving thru the lil warehouses behind the meeting site on andrews ave.. raising fuggin hell over this or that..was the only relief from the deadly boredom that truely was the basis of Art's mysterious techniques.. bore 'em to death  they'll dance the dance just to survive..  oh by the way ...jack mcn was my friend..even knew him in tallahassee after we both had ende our mutual seed ordeal
opulater

Offline surfdal

• View Profile
edmund muskie
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »
dunno if we know each other but personally ive never been able to keep any kind of a low profile anywhere ive ever been  ..but, my name is dal i have brothers  doug and dave all 3 of us were in the seed at andrews ave '71-'72. i was 17-18 then i think,   our step father was an asst states atty at the time and therefor a valuble ally to art in the respect that he gained clients(grant money) by referral from the courts.. any way i split after a newcomer came in who happened to know just what kind of up to no good i had really been in.. and i didnt wanna go thru the sheer torture of over again ...lol..yet again..ohno.. was there by way of court and my charges had been dropped.. so into the wind i went.. my brothers tho , continued to be under the hammer and moved on to the sr 84 seed phase. glad i missed it.
opulater

Offline Thom

• View Profile
edmund muskie
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »
On 2005-02-23 07:07:00, surfdal wrote:

"oh by the way ...jack mcn was my friend..even knew him in tallahassee after we both had ende our mutual seed ordeal"

HEY Dal, I'm Jack's little brother. I can't say I recognize your name, but always nice to hear from a friend of Jack's!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
edmund muskie
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
Yeah...  like Bill Clinton....the democrate :smokin: