Author Topic: Medical Problems linked with Straight  (Read 1646 times)

Offline marika708

• View Profile
Medical Problems linked with Straight
« on: December 26, 2003, 07:50:00 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has been able to link any specific medical problems with their time in Straight.  I know I've seen PTSD and some other mental health issues that are definitely related, but I am wondering about physical medical problems.  I am battling an autoimmune disorder (Lupus) and am curious if there might be anyone else out there with these types of problems.  No-one knows what causes Lupus but I thought I would throw this out for discussion.  

Hope everyone had a happy holiday, take care.

Marika

Homeschool is self regulating. The school board is not going to have illiterate useless people living in their homes forever if they don't have a working education policy.

--Sisterbluerose

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
arika
Atlanta \'83-\'84

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 01:24:00 AM »
Hi Marika,
I am all but certain that the severity of my  back problems are directly related to Straight having taken such a long time in getting me medical attention. I had injured it prior to being incarcerated there, but it took almost a year to convince anyone that there was a problem. When I finally was able to see a doctor, I was admitted to a hospital that day and had surgery the following day. That was hell.....and trying to take pain meds for a major operation took an act of congress. Stupid fucking C.O.C's, and attempting to convince some silly 5th phaser to pass it on through to upper staff.  I remember being confronted that I was just trying to get narcotics, when in fact, my spine had just been ripped open and rebuilt. It damn well hurt! I had major amounts of nerve damage due to waiting so long. The good part was that I did get to spend about 10 days at my host home, not going to group. Man, that was nice, now that I think about it!
My brother, James, has had back issues ever since he was in there, also.
Do you remember Pam Cobb? She was another member of the Atlanta crew from Huntsville. She also has lupus, I wonder if there is a connection. She was diagnosed a couple of years after getting out. (I am sure that she does not care if I use her whole name on here, just in case anyone wants to make an issue of it).

BTW, we are getting pounded with snow out here in Utah, I have had almost 2 feet today, with more expected. I have had enough snow for the year at this point!
Peace
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 09:03:00 AM »
One would think that seriously stressing the human body for long amounts of time would surly have a negative effect. Anyone that went through straight or similar programs will have endured varying amounts of stress placed on their bodies.  Extreme stress like many of us endured I?m convinced has had a nasty effect.  I for one have arrhythmia ?irregular heart beat? and sleep apnea ?mini seizures when sleeping?. I would also be interested to see how many think there bodies are showing reactions to being incarcerated under ?severe stress conditions? when we were kids.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 10:34:00 AM »
click click click of the elbows, especially when shakin after number 1,  :roll:

no more knees, after having them bent and sittin on the floor, forget tryin to get up. It hurts way too bad. Must stretch out first for 10 minutes, then get up...

back is like shit too, but only after heavy lifting, normal for people who WORK too hard all the time.

Unable to focus on one goal to do. Must have 10 things to do and get all done before the other ones.

there's probably more...

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 03:45:00 AM »
My family has always had sensitive and thin type skin.  The Straight Wharehouse I spent three years in was so dusty and dirty that it caused me as a teenager to have severely abnormal acne.  I understand that as children we get acne sometimes from dust, bad eating, and other things.  My acne was so affected that my whole face at many given moments was practically sored.  Lesions that I had were grotesque.  I am not fucking kidding here.  I have severe scarring on my face from this.
I'm not like the elephant man or anything here, but it still causes me discomfort from this horribly Straight mutated form of rosacea and acne.  I am positively certain that much of the stress level that I had in there was a direct cause of this, too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 01:30:00 AM »
I am tired a lot...  Seemingly more so, and more often so, than "normal". And mornings are very difficult for me...  Almost painful at times. I sometimes wonder if the sleep- and sunlight- deprivation in Straight, and/or methamphetamine abuse after leaving Straight, contribute to my tiredness.  Maybe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

It's funny to me, so many clients of a certain drug rehab - some who weren't even users when they went into this rehab - used after they got out.

I do know for sure that I was clinically depressed when I went into Straight, and that being in Straight sure didn't help any.  I have had a few panic attacks too.  Never had those before Straight.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 11:20:00 AM »
Pains in the knee and elbow joints...

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 03:03:00 PM »
I get to hear my knees pop every time I go up a stair. Oh yes, I'm full blown bat shit crazy, but still holding down a productive job.

CL

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »
Since two generations, two seperate people in my family had lupus, my guess is that it is genetic.  Stress however seems to play a huge factor in causing flare-ups and worsening symptoms.