Author Topic: drug addiction  (Read 2361 times)

Offline aleesha

• View Profile
drug addiction
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:56:05 AM »
What are the implications of believing drug addiction results from lack of will power? This is my psychology homework I need to write a small paragraph or two about drug addiction and will power. Need some ideas, thank you.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:23:59 AM by aleesha »

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
Re: drug addiction
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »
That's what drug addiction it is. Selfishness pure and simple. When your buzz is more important to you than everything else in your life.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
?©?€~¥@

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:15:00 PM by Anonymous »

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »
Truth be told I beat 1 of the hardest addictions in the world I managed to quit smoking cigarettes 13 years ago. Other than that I've never had a serious addiction. I like to smoke weed but I don't think I will go into withdrawals without it.
?©?€~¥@

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:04:25 AM »
I'd recommend Andrew Weil's From Chocolate To Morphine http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/039591152 ... etail?pd=1

Jeff Schaler & Staton Peele's Addiction Is A Choice http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Add ... i=scholart

That's if you want to be so bold as to give a serious, fact based answer to the question. By the way the question is phrased, though, I'd guess your instructor just wants you to regurgitate some Stepcraft mythology. You can get that from any Stepcraft literature.

I honestly believe that the powerlessness doctrine is dangerous. If you are convinced that you can't do something then you won't accomplish it. So I hope that, even if you have to base your assignment on Stepcraft fallacy to get a good grade, you'll educate yourself with the truth on the side.

Good luck!
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:40:39 PM »
Antigen, we have been down this road before and you are misleading the OP concerning the 12 step powerless idea. Some of us can never drink again I am one and I don't feel powerless. The 12 stepcraft you are referring to originated in the treatment industry and was brought into AA. As of 2012 it has just about consumed AA.
The infamous Charles Dederich from Synanon helped to warp AA from as early as the late 50's with his confrontational methods one being called "The Game".
http://www.rickross.com/reference/synanon/synanon9.html
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
I quit smoking cigarettest last year.  It wasn't easy and there are still occasional cravings but I think it'd be a lot harder if I believed it was some sort of disease I had no power over.  I didn't need some cult-like support group and I certainly did not need some fictional sky fairy.  I don't see how nicotine is any different than any other drug other than it's commonly accepted that one can simply "quit" which makes it a lot easier.  If you're told by everybody you can't do it on your own, you probably won't try hard enough to prove them wrong, considering you'll see continuing to struggle as a futile endeavor.

I believe what you're teacher is looking for, tho, is some sort of admission that the believe that drug addiction is caused by a lack of willpower leads one to deny it as a disease.  I'm not sure willpower is really the right word, tho.  People always have the power to exercise free will and make choices.  When you want a drug more you care about the consequences consequences, you choose the drug.  It's less a matter of willpower and more a matter of what's a priority to you.  Some people are selfish as none-ya puts it and choose drugs over, for example, feeding their kids.  That's a choice.  Blaming the drug is an excuse that makes the ugly truth more palatable to people.  It's much easier to believe drugs force people do bad things than it is to believe average people are capable of horrific things for any number of motives -- with any number of sufficient temptations, whether that be drugs or whatever.  It's certainly true that certain drugs can become a sufficient temptation for a person to not want to choose to abstain, but there is still a choice.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
Congratulations on quiting smoking!
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
Congratulations on quiting smoking!

Yes congratulations to everyone who's manage to quit cigarettes. After 30 years and 3 deaths in my family from smoking, I finally figured that one out.  Besides aren't cigarettes over 6 dollars a pack now?
?©?€~¥@