Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

Ironwood, Maine

<< < (3/3)

cmack:

--- Quote from: "Ursus" ---
--- Quote from: ""cmack" ---...the programs usually read all outgoing and incoming letters...
--- End quote ---
Mmm. Not always. Some programs are able to instill or cultivate a certain self-censorship in the students/attendees...
--- End quote ---

You were right. Per their website: http://www.ironwoodmaine.com/faq.html

--- Quote ---http://www.ironwoodmaine.com/faq.html

What kind of communication will I have with my teen at Ironwood?

During the initial period, it is imperative that the teen uses this time for reflection and without any outside influence. During this period, Ironwood encourages frequent letter-writing to his or her family. Ironwood respects the troubled teen's privacy and will not read any outgoing or incoming mail. Youths are required to write at least two letters to parents per week. This process establishes a pattern of thoughtful communication with parents. The teen’s therapist will schedule weekly telephone calls with parents to update the family on his or her progress.

Once the resident has reached Level 2, weekly family therapy sessions, via telephone conference call, are implemented. When the resident reaches Level 3, he or she is allowed a once-weekly private, unsupervised phone call with his or her parents.
--- End quote ---

KingBuzzard:
So basically I took the information that you guys gave to me and did my best to write somewhat of a research paper on the subject.  It's not completely unbiased, but I did my best to present the information appropriately.  If anyone would like to read over it and give me pointers or something that would be great.  

I plan on delivering this to her mother tomorrow along with printed copies of some of the articles listed at the bottom.

cmack:

--- Quote from: "KingBuzzard" ---So basically I took the information that you guys gave to me and did my best to write somewhat of a research paper on the subject.  It's not completely unbiased, but I did my best to present the information appropriately.  If anyone would like to read over it and give me pointers or something that would be great.  

I plan on delivering this to her mother tomorrow along with printed copies of some of the articles listed at the bottom.
--- End quote ---

Very Good!

A couple points before I forget: There are a few grammatical and syntax errors you might want to correct. Also, don't make any accusations you can't support. Was Wayne really let go because of sexual harassment?  Is that in writing somewhere? And the description Oscar posted above about Frye. Did you find a source saying that came from a former student? You wrote a good paper. Just don't overplay your hand.

To continue the poker analogy. make your best argument and then accept the outcome. Her parents are unlikely to immediately reverse course, however the seeds you plant will continue to grow. I'm sure they acted out of fear and maybe a little anger. At this point both have probably lessened. By now they are probably second guessing their decision. That's one of the things programs work on. Buyers remorse is fairly common in this industry. The programs are masters at manipulating parents. At some point "M" will have to write a 'come clean' letter detailing all her misdeeds. If it's not dirty enough the program may pressure her to rewrite it. Some kids in some programs have been coerced into making up things to confess to. One of the reasons for this letter is so programs can show it to the parents and convince them that their kid is actually much worse off than they believed before. The information you are providing her parents will blunt some of these tactics so don't get impatient, and don't piss her parents off. If you push too hard they may only strengthen their resolve. Give them some room and time. Stay on their good side. The approach you've taken in your letter is very  good. You come across as intelligent and articulate.

If you are one of her new friends and the parents had questions about you then the way you conduct yourself will have a huge impact.

On a different note. Adolescence is an extremely important developmental period in a person's life. The job of the adolescent is to break away from their family and reach toward independence. Programs work counter to this. Programs are regressive. Teens yearning for adulthood are regressed to the level of toddlers. Their environment is tightly regulated. What decisions can "M" make now? Virtually none. If you remember the BITE model of mind control, her entire world is controlled. This is not healthy and can result in a person who is incapable of making any decisions for themselves.

See this link: Brainwashing Teenagers is Easy http://veracityvoice.com/?p=97

Ever notice how many program graduates want to go back and work at the program?  If you visit the facebook pages for some of the wilderness programs you'll read posts by those who hated the program and thought it was abusive and posts by those who thought it was great and want to go back and work there. The ones who want to go back bought-in to the program teaching. Their thoughts have been successfully reformed. The problem is that they can no longer function in the real world. The only place they feel comfortable is inside the program cult.

Read the ASART report. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38312

It might impress her parents as being more authoritative than some of the other stuff I've given you.

Iirc, the Ironwood program typically lasts 6 to 9 months, but I read on their blog on a student who was there for 13 months and another I believe was there for 2 years. "M" will be 18 is less than a year. presumedly she will be going to college next fall. Do her parents not want her to ever live at home again? Time is running out for them to bridge the gap that has grown between them and build a strong familial bond. If they can't negotiate some kind of understanding with her she may just cut them off when she gets out. There are a number of posters on fornits who haven't spoken to their parents in years for this very reason.

In support of what you wrote in your letter: research shows that for most teens community based services work best. The problem is seldom just the teen's. As you suggested family counseling sounds like a good idea. Read this: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/m ... /sec7.html

Stay in touch.

Pile of Dead Kids:
KB, there are a lot of people on this board who have direct personal experience who have been through this themselves and can presumably talk to her parents in language they'll understand completely. Consider giving her parents' name and number to people like Ursus (in case they haven't asked you already).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version