Author Topic: Kathy Row's husband Brett was a client at Straight!  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Kathy Row's husband Brett was a client at Straight!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2003, 08:45:00 AM »
Pathway still fucks with people!!! Is that all right with you?  Just because they don't or didn't go to the degree of sickness that Straight did, doesn't mean that emotional and mental abuse is OK!!!  In fact that can be more insidious and degrading.  That fucks with your self image, which is all ready pretty low at the time.  I saw humiliating people in front of groups in the name of carefronting them.  Humiliation stays with you a lifetime.  All that comes out of Pathway are raging, angry kids, who don't even know they are because they've repressed it.  It comes out later 10-20 years down the road in nightmares,anxiety, PTSD.  I knew what went on at Pathway and it is an ego trip for the so called therapists because the kids have to surrender to brainwashing and kiss and blubber all over the therapists at graduation.  Little does Pathway care what happens after Graduation unless you continue to blubber and fawn all over them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2003, 01:12:00 PM »
After graduation, it was my understanding that I should be able to take responsibility for my own life. Therapists have enough to do helping those that have not reached that level of self awareness.It was my job to make a support network that could sustain me in recovery. They taught all the grads the tools... it is a personal choice if I decide to use them or not. By the whimpering I hear,perhaps you were not fucked with enough or no matter what help you were given you made a decision to stay miserable. If you have graduated then get on with your life and make the best of it. If bad things are still happening to me at an alarming rate then the repair is quite simple. I quit volunteering to be a victim. Cry about past events. Therapy wasn't meant to erase them, it was meant to give understanding and in doing so conquer my fears that kept me from doing the best for myself.I am in control of my life now, no one else is. What happens is by my choice. So are the good things that could happen if I am open to let them happen. That is the simple message of using the steps. My choice to use them or not. Bitch and moan all you want but who should be listening real close is a good buddy of yours. No one at this point is preventing you from having a good life but the man in the mirror. Whatever you learned that was helpful use it. Whatever you hated, use that by avoid placing yourself in harms way to repeat a need to experience it again. I have found my world improves by me helping to improve it, not by tearing it down. Christmas is almost here. I wish that you work diligently to find your inner peace. This Christmas will be here only once in my life. As is every other day of the year. Sahme on me for not enjoying all of them to my fullest.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2003, 02:23:00 PM »
Let me tell you a little story about why this issue is still important to me 20 years later.

Just the other day, I had to get up early to take a young friend downtown for a court date. It was a violation hearing for failure to pay a fine for a DUI/underage drinking. Not knowing any better, he took the ARD deal (Accelerated Recovery Disposition).

The kid is not a whiner. He knew he messed up and never complained about getting busted. Instead, he surrendered his license, parked the car and started paying fine; $1800 over 12 months. He had been keeping up for the first 4 months, then lost his job due to lack of reliable transportation. Then lost his housing due to inability to pay rent. So he wasn't complaining about the violation hearing, either. He just wanted to go, talk to the judge, explain the situation and get back on track.

Well, he had the wrong date for the hearing, we were 3 days early. So they sent him down to the DA to get the correct info.

So far, everyone we'd dealt with at the courthouse, including (maybe especially) the 6'4" bailif was just as decent and civil as you could want. That's just the way people are around here and that's one reason why I love these yenzers so. Failure to come up with a sum of cash in this economy is not usually treated as a contemptable crime, provided that the person is eager to stay in touch and do all they can to get the sum paid as quickly as possible.

But this DA is, aparently, not from around here.

So the kid walks in, gives his name and asks for a copy of his subpoena. While the clerk is fetching a pen and paper to write it down, he says he'd also like to look and see exactly what he's already paid. Instead of just telling him or declining to tell him (whatever!) in a professional manner, she snatches the file up off the desk, opens it up saying "Oh sure, mister! (she actually said "mister"!) I'll tell you just what you've done!

So she opens the file and starts reading, in a very angry, condescending tone, about what he's paid. Now, mind you, this woman had no clue, up to this point, about any of the kid or any details of his case. In fact, she never noticed that she kept repeating the error that he'd already had a year to pay this off. In fact, it had only been 6 months. His only violation was failure to maintain the $50/mo min while he was looking for a job and a place to stay (both of which he's found by now, so he's ready to negotiate).

The kid is still not arguing, acting pissed off or frightened or anything. Her brow beating is having no effect except to slightly amuse us both and sort of embarass te clerk. He asks her what to expect at the hearing and offers that he can pay $150. That's when I really understood what this uber-bitch is all about. As soon as she found out the limit of his ability, she raised the bar by $50.

Uber-bitch says "Listen, young man! You had BETTER not show up here Tuesday with less than $200!" Then she goes on to explain how damned lucky he is to have a chance to expunge his criminal record, w/ detail about how much difficulty he'll have finding work and such. "But, if you don't want to pay, then you can just go to jail!" So he says "No, I want to pay. But all I have is .... So cuts him of and goes on a little more about what a hard time he's going to have without her "help" and tells him he's free to withdraw from the Program if he wants.

You see here? As soon as she found out how much cash he had, she set a requirement that she knew was impossible for him to meet, then went on lecturing him about how it's all his fault if he goes to jail because he doesn't want to accept her benevolence.

So, seeing no other course but to either lie and say he'll come up with the other $50 or beg for it from sombody (I would have made it a Christmass gift, but the kid's already feeling like a bumb for sleeping on our couch for free the past month, so he never asked), he took the only other option left open to him. "Yes, that's what I want then. I'll withdraw and just do my time and be done with it."

That really pissed off the benevolent rehabilitator. It was like sombody hit rewind and turned up the volume. She started over again about how stupid and foolish he was being and asked "Is that what you want??!!" "Well", he says, "I can't give you money I don't have, so if I stay in the program I'm just going to keep violating. So, where do I sign?"

So she (finally) opens the file and points to where he can sign himself out. While he's doing that, she's making smart assed remarks about "Well, the good news is you won't have to come back here Tuesday. Now, go upstairs to room (whatever) and tell them you've been kicked out of ARD!"  

Now... why would this woman tell this kid to lie like that? Clearly, he had voluntarily withdrawn himself, so why would she tell him to lie and say she'd kicked him out? I swear to God, the first thing to come to my mind after watching how she operated was to ask her which program she 7th stepped from.

This is the reality of forced treatment through the courts. That people who think the Program gives us some kind of useful tools for dealing with life can operate within our justice system, schools and other areas of influence is just not acceptable to me.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."-- C.S. Lewis.

Step 1. We came to understand that the government is powerless over people's private use of drugs and that the War on Drugs was making the government's life unmanageable.

--Scott Tillinghast

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2003, 10:30:00 PM »
A lot of thought went into telling me about the harm done to you by the system. Life ain't fair, and you are just a number in the system. But very little time spent on owning responsibility for the DUI. Without doing that, the system would never have known of your existance. Yes bad thingsd happen in the courts but they are used to people avoiding responsibility for their own actions. Paying the money was not meant to be easy. If it were easy, would it have had the same deterrant effect? Did they treat you like dirt? ... probably. Without being pulled over for drinking and driving, none of this would have transpired. So who really is at fault? The system or the drunk driver????

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2003, 09:14:00 PM »
Well, taking your argument to the next level, you could say that no one should complain if a cop drags them out of their car and beats hell out of them for improper lane change. After all, if they had remembered to use their turn signal, then they wouldn't have exposed themselves to abuse by the asshole cop in the first place.

But you missed my point entirely. How much time would you like me to spend explaining how this kid owned his responsibility? He did, fully and completely, without complaint.

When the (very Program like) DA set a condition she knew he couldn't meet, he did the honorable thing; he took the other option and withdrew himself from the program.

If she had been interested in him paying his fine and meeting the obligation he made, why did she set a condition that she knew he couldn't meet? The obvious answer is that she had some other, more compelling interest. So, what purpose is to be served by putting this kid in jail for up to six months, other than the sheer joy of tormenting him while pretending the be a benevolent rehabilitator?

Now, all this is done at my expense as a tax payor. I'm paying to impose the Program on people I don't particularly hate, some of whom I like. I know full well that the Program is ineffective and harmful. But I have to pay for it anyway.

That is unacceptable. The only way I can see to turn it around is to try and get others to understand that.

The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it.
--  J. Robert Oppenheimer

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2003, 10:18:00 PM »
Hmm...i still don't see how that has anything to do with pathway being a bad place. The court probably does fuck with people. Pathway probably does fuck with people. It probably helps them get sober too.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2003, 11:54:00 PM »
responding to this anonymous apologist for the cult, that is.
As a lawyer, I do see the oficious bastards who deal  with people the way you describe.  Thankfully, they are not in the majority, but unfortunately in these troubled times I do seem to be encountering them a little more.  I think there are two factors involved in what you describe.  First, labelling, second scapegoating.  the cults do a very good job of labelling and from there it becomes the modus operandi for merciless scapegoating.  Note how the other anonymous self-righteously goes back to the label to justify whatever measures are taken thereafter.  Truly a 21st century inquisition!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 07:30:00 AM »
On 2003-12-17 19:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hmm...i still don't see how that has anything to do with pathway being a bad place. The court probably does fuck with people. Pathway probably does fuck with people. It probably helps them get sober too....."

Probably? That's the best you can do?

There are not enough jails, not enough policemen, not enough courts to enforce a law not supported by the people.
-- HUBERT H. HUMPHREY, speech (1965)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2003, 11:20:00 PM »
b>On 2003-12-17 20:54:00, Anonymous wrote:"responding to this anonymous apologist for the cult, that is.

As a lawyer, I do see the oficious bastards who deal  with people the way you describe.  Thankfully, they are not in the majority, but unfortunately in these troubled times I do seem to be encountering them a little more.  I think there are two factors involved in what you describe.  First, labelling, second scapegoating.  the cults do a very good job of labelling and from there it becomes the modus operandi for merciless scapegoating.  Note how the other anonymous self-righteously goes back to the label to justify whatever measures are taken thereafter.  Truly a 21st century inquisition!  "
[/quote]

You are not a lawyer  :silly:

Offline notworking

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »
***I should be able to take responsibility for my own life.

No matter what help you were given you made a decision to stay miserable.

If bad things are still happening to me at an alarming rate then the repair is quite simple. I quit volunteering to be a victim.

I am in control of my life now, no one else is. What happens is by my choice.

No one at this point is preventing you from having a good life but the man in the mirror.

Whatever you hated, use that by avoid placing yourself in harms way to repeat a need to experience it again.

I have found my world improves by me helping to improve it, not by tearing it down.

Shame on me for not enjoying all of them to my fullest.***

Wow, that is so amazing.  First of all, that you can string THAT many cliches together and still be (internally, at least) coherent.

[SIDE NOTE:  Wouldn't this make a WONDERFUL drinking game?  When it's your turn, you have to come up with a BS recovery cliche AND recite the other participants' cliches.  Miss one, take a drink.  You obviously weren't PAYING ATTENTION!!!  You need to WORK HARDER!!!]

But, more importantly, that you are so frigging clueless about life.  I just hope that you've let go of some of this crap before life REALLY starts buffetting you around.  Losing your children, your siblings, your parents before their times isn't "volunteering to be a victim."  Having a terminal illness isn't "volunteering to be a victim."  Losing your home or your livelihood through an accident isn't "volunteering to be a victim."  It's BAD LUCK, you moron, and the last thing anyone needs when it happens is to feel GUILTY.  I'm sure all the families of people who died in Iraq really need you and your explanations of why they put themselves in harm's way.

I was put into a program because I had committed the cardinal sin of having depression.  No matter how hard anyone tried, they couldn't make me happy.  I was "determined to be miserable."  

[ANOTHER SIDE NOTE:  Who the fuck decides to be miserable?  Are these the same mythical creatures who wake up from their heretofore perfect lives and decide to be manipulative?]

So anyway, back to me and my "no reason to be depressed."  Let me tell you, months of physical and verbal abuse in "treatment" didn't help either.  After treatment, I talked and related and fedback and confessed and cried for 10 years and it didn't do me one single bit of good.

It was never going to do me one bit of good, either.  See, I come from a long line of women with depression.  Both my grandmothers were treated for it, as was my mother.  Before them, there's a whole line of women on both sides who were "nervous" and just went to bed for years on end. Of course no one bothered to mention this when they were telling the "therapists" how "Jenny is just determined to be unhappy."  Once I told an actual doctor about my family history and my symptoms, he finally gave me something that helped.  Medication.  Yep, that little blue and yellow pill -- my DRUG -- made all the difference.  It didn't solve all my problems, it just made my brain work right for the first time since I could remember.  I had no more ability to control my depression by talking or being talked [YELLED] at than a diabetic can control their blood sugar by sitting one of those interminable groups.  

But nobody in treatment could see that.  They knew what was wrong with me -- they know what's wrong with everyone -- before they even knew I existed.  They break you down and give you that social darwinist crap to make up for all the things you need and aren't getting.  An adequately functioning brain, help learning, a stable environment, parents who truly care about you, self-esteem, you're not going to get any of that at PFC.  You may not get some of it at all, but everyone deserves it.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »
On 2003-12-17 19:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hmm...i still don't see how that has anything to do with pathway being a bad place. The court probably does fuck with people. Pathway probably does fuck with people. It probably helps them get sober too....."

Ask around among Program vets if they 1) have remained sober and 2) view their Program experience as having been particularly helpful.

I know what they told you, I believe you believe it. None the less, it isn't true. Fucking w/ people emotionally and psychologically does not help anyone remain sober, by any definition of the word.

A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

--Anonymous

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2004, 03:13:00 PM »
On 2003-12-18 20:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

You are not a lawyer

Who is not a lawyer?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
--Albert Einstein