Author Topic: The world will never know how Eric Perez died  (Read 31848 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Lockup has no medical staff at night, nurse says
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
The Miami Herald
Posted on Tuesday, 07.19.11

JUVENILE JUSTICE

Lockup has no medical staff at night, nurse says

The state's juvenile justice chief said budget constraints were not a factor in last week's death at a juvenile jail. But a nurse said the facility has no medical staffing at night.

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
[email protected]

Perez

After Omar Paisley died of a burst appendix in a Miami-Dade juvenile lockup eight years ago, juvenile justice administrators announced sweeping reforms, including on-site medical care around the clock at the Miami facility.

When Eric Perez died Sunday, July 10 at the Palm Beach County juvenile jail, there were no doctors or nurses on duty, according to the nurse jailers say they tried in vain to reach.

"Nobody works there at night," Diana Heras said of lockup medical staff. "There is no state funding for night nurses for any night of the week. They do not have a nurse who works at that ... facility on the night shift, and they do not work weekends."

Department of Juvenile Justice Secretary Wansley Walters, at the helm for just half a year when 18-year-old Eric perished at the West Palm Beach lockup, said Florida's historic budget woes — which prompted lawmakers to trim tens of millions in juvenile justice spending this year — are not to blame for his death last week.

Medical care at the lockup is overseen by a private entity under contract with the state, but neither Walters nor Heras would name the healthcare provider Tuesday.

Since the youth's death from an as-of-yet undisclosed ailment, agency administrators and spokespeople have declined to discuss the incident in any detail. Walters, who headed Miami's well-regarded juvenile assessment center before accepting DJJ's top job, spoke for the first time Tuesday, though she still declined to discuss events leading to Eric's death.

Some of Eric's final agonizing hours — which began as early as 1:30 a.m. and ended with his 8:09 a.m. death — were captured on lockup videotape, DJJ administrators have confirmed. Walters' agency won't release the video depicting Eric's final hours, but sources say it doesn't bode well for the lockup staff.

The footage, sources told The Miami Herald, depicts Eric's limp body being dragged on a cot or mat from his room to a common area of the lockup and then back again — a sign that guards knew he was terribly ill and were worried he would infect other lockup detainees.

Palm Beach County's public defender, Carey Haughwout, suggested Monday that years worth of budget cuts may have contributed to last week's scandal. One of the guards on duty said he was working a double shift the day Eric, who was being held on a robbery charge, died. And Cathy Craig-Myers, who heads the Florida Juvenile Justice Association, said DJJ’s current spending plan, which took effect July 1, contains $77 million fewer dollars than last year's budget.

Walters said, however, that the trims have not affected safety or security at any of the state's 22 detention centers, as guards continue to patrol dormitories with scores of empty beds statewide.

Walters, who is generally regarded as a juvenile justice reformer, said her agency's procedures — many of which were put in place following Omar's 2003 appendicitis death — also were sufficient to protect Eric, had they been followed.

"The policies were there. The training was there. The posters were everywhere," Walters said, referring to signs that were posted in detention centers throughout the state in the wake of Omar's June 9, 2003 death. The posters reminded guards, supervisors and nurses that all facility staff was permitted to call 911 for a detainee in crisis — even without the permission of lockup chiefs.

Omar died after pleading with guards and nurses for three days for medical care. Guards later testified their bosses forbade them to call for an ambulance.

"This is certainly one thing I have prayed never would happen," Walters said of Eric's death.

Two West Palm lockup employees — a guard and a supervisor — were fired last week following Eric's death. In a heavily redacted letter to the supervisor, Terence Dayron Davis, that was released to The Herald, juvenile justice administrators said "any reasonable person...would have deemed this a medical emergency" and sought an ambulance.

"You failed to call 911," the July 11 letter states.

Davis could not be reached Tuesday for comment. On Monday, the fired guard, Floyd Powell, told The Herald he wanted desperately to call 911, but was told by both a supervisor and the lockup's now-suspended superintendent, Anthony Flowers, to call the nurse, Heras, for "guidance" instead. But she could not be reached.

Though Walters did not say so directly, she implied Tuesday that poor decision-making — not agency policy — was responsible for the youth's death.

"Changing the culture of the agency," Walters said, "is something that is critically important."

Miami Herald political writer Marc Caputo contributed to this report.

Copyright 2011 Miami Herald Media Co.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Lockup has no medical staff at night, nurse says"
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Lockup has no medical staff at night, nurse says" (by Carol Marbin Miller, 07.19.11, Miami Herald), #s 1-20:

mung · 07/19/2011 11:24 PM[/size]
    A special prosecutor is needed for cases like this one.  The state cannot be trusted to prosecute itself.
biobot · 07/19/2011 11:58 PM[/size]
    What BS is this? Of course it was due to budget cuts. There has to be an independent investigation and guards or supervisors who failed to call or allow to call 911 must be prosecuted.
lindy60 · 07/20/2011 12:14 AM[/size]
    Sure there may be budget cuts but I don't think that all the phones were taken out of the facility there is no excuse why 911 should not of been called. The sad thing is St Mary's Hospital is right across the street form the facility. A guard and supervisor were fired for not calling 911 (but they say they were instruced not to call) maybe the administrators should be put on unpaid leave until everything is investigated.. I feel bad for the Perez family, in my opinion this didn't have to happen.
Papi_Chulo · 07/20/2011 03:55 AM[/size]
    A Good Hungry Lawyer is sitting back licking his Chops for this one. Soon the Cash Register will loudly sing Ka-Ching~
billyjobob · 07/20/2011 06:20 AM[/size]
    check the top floor at the dade county jail look what they do to the mental
    Myowneviltwin · 07/20/2011 09:18 AM in reply to billyjobob[/size]
      Details, please.
      cassiuscasio · 07/20/2011 02:46 PM in reply to Myowneviltwin[/size]
        There have been MANY Discovery Channel "Justice Files" episodes shot just in the mental ward of the Miami-Dade jail.
      [/list][/list]
      Ndn_nfl · 07/20/2011 07:43 AM[/size]
        I had my appendix rupture and let me tell you it was more painful than giving birth!  What they did to this kid was nothing less than criminal and basically premeditated murder!  An extremely slow painful death that we wouldn't even subject our pets to.
      lucasMederos · 07/20/2011 08:32 AM[/size]
        The tea partiers want privitazation, and here is a classic example of what they are going to get.  If you are a registered nurse or a doctor, would you want to work  at this place at night?  I would like to see the contract with the company that provides medical care to the facility.  It will not include nights and weekends.  To provide medicial services nights and weekend, it would be cheaper to have the state run the facility.  They took their chances this type of incident would happen once in a while.  When you cut funding to Planned Parenthood, expect the juvenile camps to be overcapacity.  Welcome to the real world.
        cassiuscasio · 07/20/2011 02:48 PM  in reply to lucasMederos[/size]
          When you cut funding to Planned Parenthood, expect the juvenile camps to be overcapacity.  Welcome to the real world
          ^THIS is so true.^

NYT Bestseller, "Freakonomics" argues that the biggest deterrent to violent crime is access to legal and safe abortions.  Teabaggers can argue this one all you want...the numbers don't lie.
        [/list]
          soflaresident84 · 07/20/2011 03:19 PM in reply to lucasMederos[/size]
            Abortion is not the answer. Believe it or not there are some women who get pregnant just so they can either milk the system or the guy that got them pregnant. Meanwhile, the child grows up in loveless and empty of values, manners, respect for others and themselves.

It has nothing to do with "teabaggers", it's more to do with a selfish generation of people who put themselves first at all cost. Politicains and money can't do much to help with this problem.

Knowing that jail is not a good place you have people going out of their way to return or make their first trip.
          [/list]
          rqf1313 · 07/20/2011 09:16 AM[/size]
            another example of our throw away society. In the eyes of the workers this individual had no value. Where there is no value there is no care.
          oloruawe · 07/20/2011 11:17 AM[/size]
            I was also told by a young lady that used to be a student at MDCC,  that a man named  Mr. W. Otero was forced to resign as an instructor at The  Miami Dade Community College School of Criminal Justice  becuase he physically abused and threaten a college student  with a disability. The young man was diagnose with Autism. After the boys family sued the college. Mr Otero had to resign. Mr Otero now works for The Dade County Juvenile Detention Center.

Dear Miami Herald , if you ever get an opportunity can you please due a follow up story to see if the above statement is true.

We would be really disapointed if something tragic could have been prevented to the states negligence or a lack of our Media investigation report.    

All men are inocent until they are proven guilty , inculding Mr Otero
          Nissey43 · 07/20/2011 11:21 AM[/size]
            I was locked up as a teenager several times at this Juvenile jail in Miami. And my stay there, I have never seen a nurse.
            soflaresident84 · 07/20/2011 03:12 PM  in reply to Nissey43[/size]
              You were in jail, not a hospital or a 5 star hotel.
            komputerzrkool · 07/20/2011 05:15 PM  in reply to Nissey43[/size]
              Don't cry for me, Argentina.
            [/list]
            Nissey43 · 07/20/2011 11:33 AM[/size]
              I also been locked up in the Paul Rein Jail in Pompano Beach in Broward County. I have seen a women have seizures back to back all day. Yes their was nurses but they didnt do anything to help her. I wouldve thought they would take her to the hospital to get an MRI or something. They just watched over her like it was a show and sso did the other inmates. They don't care about you in jail. They all milk the clock and love to gossip more then anything. Something had to be done with that young lady who kept having the seizures. Sadly no one got her the proper help. Why? I would like to know.
              soflaresident84 · 07/20/2011 03:11 PM  in reply to Nissey43[/size]
                You knew there was no medical staff and jail was a bad place yet you went out your way to go back? This country is broke where are they going to find the money for doctors for inmates? They don't even have enough money for schools.
                Nissey43 · 07/21/2011 09:46 AM in reply to soflaresident84[/size]
                  Yea I went back? And your point is? People make mistakes..Don't sit here and judge me woman. You don't know me and what I have been through...sooo shhh...And I never needed medical help in jail..so not my problem...
                [/list][/list]
                alejandro35 · 07/20/2011 12:54 PM[/size]
                  So sad. The guards not calling 911 are at fault.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                Comments: "Lockup has no medical staff at night, nurse says"
                « Reply #62 on: July 31, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
                Comments left for the above article, "Lockup has no medical staff at night, nurse says" (by Carol Marbin Miller, 07.19.11, Miami Herald), #s 21-28:

cassiuscasio · 07/20/2011 02:45 PM[/size]
                  When Rick Scott gets his way toward privation of all of the State's correctional facilities...this will get even worse.

"Medical care at the lockup is overseen by a private entity under contract with the state, but neither Walters nor Heras would name the healthcare provider Tuesday."
                  The medical function of this facility was already privatized and look what happened.  When profit motives enter in to war, healthcare and prison...the institutions become totally corrupted.
                  nur_1996 · 07/21/2011 01:27 AM in reply to cassiuscasio[/size]
                    People are very intimidating in this places. They think they are God, you listen or lose your job. Nobody has your back. I feel bad for everyone involved. The system has failed again.
                  [/list]
                  constructionqueen · 07/20/2011 04:37 PM[/size]
                    Superintendent Anthony Flowers needs to be arrested and prosecuted under the full extent of the law. Suspension IS NOT enough!
                  ilcd · 07/20/2011 05:38 PM[/size]
                    i guess theres no sanctity for human life when it comes to stupidity of the people that worked there.  shame on the staff that caused this childs death.  you have eyes, a heart and soul but you let this child die in front of you.   remember karma: what goes around, comes around
                  nur_1996 · 07/21/2011 01:21 AM[/size]
                    Lets say one thing, Nurses were not to blame on this one. The nurses do NOT work for the state they are contracted, they are not contracted to be there at night. Guards are trained on emergency procedures, someone made some bad decisions. Budget cuts, all the money is going to the prison system, forget the kids. RIP Eric.
                  kool · 07/22/2011 01:46 AM[/size]
                    HUM!! no state funding for medical personnel. why is the detention center opened? The adult jails have 24 hours nursing but the poor juveniles have to suffer who can fend for themselves? is that backwards or what? Oh let me guess the officers are the medical staff with no schooling to take care health problems and that lady talks about safety and security. I know i would'nt want to be a juvenile
                  kool · 07/22/2011 01:51 AM[/size]
                    now we have officers posing as medical perfessionals? even in the adult jail there is 24 hours nursing and they are adults. but the juveniles don't have 24 nursing. that agency needs to be revaluated. then she says budget cuts had not to do with it the heads are getting together to find out what happened. why don't the heads work in the detention centers maybe they would understand BUDGET CUTS
                  kool · 07/22/2011 01:52 AM[/size]
                    HUM!! no state funding for medical personnel. why is the detention center opened? The adult jails have 24 hours nursing but the poor juveniles have to suffer who can fend for themselves? is that backwards or what? Oh let me guess the officers are the medical staff with no schooling to take care health problems and that lady talks about safety and security. I know i would'nt want to be a juvenile

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Did FL government budget cuts contribute to boy's deat
                  « Reply #63 on: August 01, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
                  This piece comes from one of the Miami Herald blogs: Naked Politics. It links back to the above article, "Lockup has no medical staff at night, nurse says."

The Miami Herald
                  NAKED POLITCS — "The raw truth about power and ambition in Florida"

Did FL government budget cuts contribute to boy's death in DJJ lockup?

After Omar Paisley died of a burst appendix in a Miami-Dade juvenile lockup eight years ago, juvenile justice administrators announced sweeping reforms, including on-site medical care around the clock at the Miami facility.

When Eric Perez died Sunday, July10 at the Palm Beach County juvenile jail, there were no doctors or nurses on duty, according to the nurse jailers say they tried in vain to reach.

"Nobody works there at night," Diana Heras said of lockup medical staff. "There is no state funding for night nurses for any night of the week. They do not have a nurse who works at that ... facility on the night shift, and they do not work weekends."

Department of Juvenile Justice Secretary Wansley Walters, at the helm for just half a year when 18-year-old Eric perished at the West Palm Beach lockup, said Florida's historic budget woes — which prompted lawmakers to trim tens of millions in juvenile justice spending this year — are not to blame for his death last week.

Full story here

Posted by Marc Caputo on July 20, 2011 in Florida State Budget

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Comments: "Did FL government budget cuts contribute to boy's
                  « Reply #64 on: August 01, 2011, 10:21:38 AM »
                  Comment left for the above piece, "Did FL government budget cuts contribute to boy's death in DJJ lockup?" (by Marc Caputo; July 20, 2011; Miami Herald - Naked Politics):

Posted by: Debca | July 22, 2011 at 02:08 PM
                    Whether there was medical staff or not should not have made that critical life and death difference for this young man who lost his life due to the callousness and negligence of staff who are supposed to be trained in all areas of supervision of who they are in charge of. When a person, whether a child or adult, are in as much visable pain as described in the articles about this incident, you call an ambulance, or get the person to emergency care as soon as possible, you don't assume it isn't real or make your own diagnosis. This incident wasn't politically or economically driven it was due to lack of compassion, caring and neglect of responsibilities.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  In teen's death, lack of money is no excuse for lack of...
                  « Reply #65 on: August 01, 2011, 10:53:19 AM »
                  Published later the same day, a Miami Herald Opinion piece by Fred Grimm...

[See also previous post with some links to discussion re. the Omar Paisley case.]

The Miami Herald
                  Posted on Wednesday, 07.20.11

IN MY OPINION

In teen’s death, lack of money is no excuse for lack of caring

BY FRED GRIMM
                  [email protected]

Eric Perez

No need to empanel a grand jury to investigate the last few hours of Eric Perez, who was left to die in a Palm Beach County juvenile lock-up; sick, vomiting, crying for help, unattended by the medical staff.

A grand jury has already investigated circumstances matching young Eric's July 10 death so closely that another effort would just seem redundant.

Might as well just replace the names and dates and location in the grand jury report on the "tragically preventable death" of Omar Paisley at the Miami-Dade Regional Juvenile Detention Center in 2003. Keep the phrase "tragically preventable death." It still fits.

Randall Berg, director of the Florida Justice Institute, in an e-mail Wednesday noted the similarities of the two deaths, eight years apart. "In both instances, staff did not believe the complaints of pain by the juvenile inmates and refused known needed medical care, resulting in the untimely and unfortunate death of both children."

Berg had been among the angry voices heard in Florida after the death of Omar Paisley. The 17-year-old Opa-locka youth had been writhing with abdominal pain, beset with vomiting and diarrhea, begging for a doctor, his life ebbing away. The detention center staff never called 911. Workers, in fact, weren't allowed to call 911 without their supervisor's permission. The cellblock phones were set to block 911 calls.

It took Omar two painful, horrible days to die. The grand jury declared, "We were appalled by the utter lack of humanity demonstrated by the detention workers."

Humanity was not much in evidence at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center when Eric Perez, 18, fell deathly ill. Guards found him on the floor, vomiting. No one called 911. He was not seen by a nurse. There was no nurse on duty.

A detention center medical staffer told The Herald's Carol Marbin Miller that because of budget cutbacks, there wasn't enough money to provide a nurse at nights or over weekends. Statewide, the Department of Juvenile Justice is dealing with a $77 million budget cut. Apparently, getting seriously ill in a juvenile lock-up, under this new budget, has become like Russian roulette.

The Paisley grand jury wrote, "It was very simple for us to envision scenarios in which twenty-four hour medical care could mean the difference between life and death." In 2011, the words became prophetic.

The Paisley grand jury was not much moved by complaints that the 2003 version of DJJ had suffered debilitating cuts and the report sounds just as relevant in 2011. "We were sensitive to the implementation of severe budgetary cuts," the report stated. "However, each of us arrived independently at the same conclusion: one can never measure the cost of human life in taxpayer money."

Nor would Cathy Corry of Justice4Kids, a watchdog group that monitors the rights of detained children, accept an excuse that financial restraints led to either death. "Money doesn't make someone care."

Anyway, Paisley was seen by a medical staffer in the 2003 case, though the particular nurse (who later pleaded guilty to culpable negligence) didn't bother with an examination. Her diagnosis of the dying kid: "Ain't nothing wrong with his ass." An equally compassionate guard told Omar to "suck it up."

The only accurate diagnosis may have come from Corry. "The staff didn't care." She was referring to the Eric Perez death, but the tragic underpinnings of both cases seem sadly interchangeable.

The Paisley death led to a series of reforms. And staffers at state juvenile lock-ups were trained to circumvent supervisors and call 911 if they felt a kid was in medical jeopardy. But as the Omar Paisley scandal faded from memory, so did the reform regimes.

"Over time with staff turnover, and usually a lack of training, staffers become jaded," Berg said. He worried that new hires were ill trained. That the new guards came to regard "every inmate with a health care need a malingerer."

"At every turn in our investigation," the Paisley grand jury wrote, "we were confronted with incompetence, ambivalence and negligence on the part of the administration and the staff."

In 2011, not much has changed. Except the dead kid's name.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Comments: ""In teen's death, lack of money is no excuse..."
                  « Reply #66 on: August 01, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »
                  Comments left for the above Opinion piece, "In teen's death, lack of money is no excuse for lack of caring" (by Fred Grimm, 07.20.11, Miami Herald):

Esauhound · 07/21/2011 03:23 PM
                    Sad
                  the_prince · 07/21/2011 03:56 PM
                    Sad commentary.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  State Officials Cited Lack of Emergency Training at PB Juvie
                  « Reply #67 on: August 01, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
                  Another piece from the Broward-Palm Beach New Times blog The Daily Pulp:

The Daily Pulp

LAW & ORDER
                  State Officials Cited Lack of Emergency Training at Palm Beach Juvie Jail Where Teen Died

By Lisa Rab · Wed., Jul. 20 2011 at 11:32 AM
                  Categories: Law & Order, Palm Beach

Jail officials waited hours to call 911.

Some staffers at a West Palm Beach juvenile jail where a teenager died this month were not trained to know the facility's safety, security, and emergency plans, according to a state quality assurance report written in February. Meanwhile, "management accountability" at the jail was given a "minimal" rating by state Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) officials -- one step above a failing grade.

Despite these shortcomings, the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center won an overall grade of "acceptable" five months before Eric Perez,18, died in custody there. Two jail employees have been fired and four others have been suspended in the wake of Perez's death.

Perez woke early in the morning on July 10, "dazed and frantic," according to the Palm Beach Post. He vomited on the floor but was given a soft drink and allowed to go back to sleep. Instead of calling 911, a jail supervisor called a nurse to help Perez, but the nurse didn't return the call.

In the February review by state officials, the jail was commended for having a registered nurse on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

On July 10, Perez slipped in and out of sickness and sleep for six hours before a jail supervisor discovered that the teenager barely had a pulse. Only then did the supervisor call 911. By the time paramedics arrived around 8 a.m., Perez was dead. Authorities from DJJ are still investigating the incident.

Tags: death, DJJ, Eric Perez, juvenile justice, Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center

©2011 New Times BPB, LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Comments: "State Officials Cited Lack of Emergency Training.
                  « Reply #68 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »
                  Comment left for the above blog piece, "State Officials Cited Lack of Emergency Training at Palm Beach Juvie Jail Where Teen Died" (by Lisa Rab; Jul. 20 2011; New Times blog The Daily Pulp):

Guest · 1 week ago
                    Rab is the only real reporter this blog has. Too bad nobody pays any attention.

©2011 New Times BPB, LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Report outlines teen's final moments in detention
                  « Reply #69 on: August 02, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
                  Someone got a hold of the Incident Report for that night...

Video news footage at the title link:

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Report outlines teen's final moments in detention center
                  Leaked report outlines Eric Perez's death

Posted: 07/20/2011
                  By: Mike Trim

Photographer: WPTV · Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - An incident report leaked to our news partners, The Palm Beach Post, details the final moment of a local teenager's life in a juvenile lockup.

18-year-old Eric Perez died July 10th in the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center.

His cause of death hasn't been released.

To Perez's family attorney Richard Schuler, the details of Perez's death worsen by the day.

"It's moving pretty quickly and that tells me that something really wrong had to have taken place there," said Schuler.

According to the report The Palm Beach Post obtained, Perez's was dazed and frantic about six-and-a-half hours before dying.

Inside his cell he was allegedly screaming over and over, "get him off me."

A guard moved Perez outside his cell according to the report, where he fell asleep but then starting vomiting.

That's when the report states the on call nurse was called twice, but didn't answer.

"She failed to respond and return the calls which I think is atrocious," said Schuler.

Schuler says he's confirmed most of the facts in the report obtained by The Palm Beach Post through a detention center guard's termination letter.

Two guards were fired and four other employees, including the center's superintendent, are suspended.

The incident report says after vomiting Perez was moved to a medical confinement area, where he again fell asleep.

At 7:55 a-m, the report says a guard checked Perez's pulse and he barely felt one.

That's when a 911 call was reportedly made.

The West Palm Beach Fire Department confirms with NewsChannel 5 that a crew was dispatched to the detention center, but a time was not given.

The state Department of Juvenile Justice said Perez died at 8:09 a.m.

Schuler calls it a complete failure of the system.

"It's a series of bad decisions that are made. It's usually not just one decision, it's a series of bad decisions that lead to a catastrophic event and unfortunately a death like this of Eric Perez," said Schuler.

Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Lockup's medical log details teen's death spiral
                  « Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
                  The Miami Herald
                  Posted on Wednesday, 07.20.11

Lockup's medical log details teen's death spiral

Though Eric Perez screamed and retched all night at the Palm Beach juvenile lockup, he was not seen by a nurse until 7:51 a.m., a log indicates. By then it was too late.

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
                  [email protected]

Eric Perez (Photo provided)

By the time paramedics arrived at the West Palm Beach lockup to treat Eric Perez, the 18-year-old — jailed on a marijuana possession charge — showed only a "flat line" on a heart monitor.

Though Eric had been screaming and retching all night long, lockup administrators failed to call 911 until well after dawn. A detention center healthcare log provided Wednesday to The Miami Herald shows the youth was not examined by a medical professional until 7:51 a.m. Four minutes later, the log shows, lockup staff called a "code white," indicating the youth's condition had become critical.

The death of Eric Perez, who grew up in Port St. Lucie, is the most recent tragedy to rock Florida's long-troubled Department of Juvenile Justice, which has been gripped by a cycle of scandal and short-lived reform for years.

In 2003 and 2004, administrators promised they would "treat every child as if he were your own" after guards and nurses at the Miami lockup waited three days before calling an ambulance for Omar Paisley, who also was dead before paramedics could help him. The agency hired a statewide medical director, posted signs throughout the 22 detention centers authorizing guards to call 911 at the first hint of an emergency, and beefed up medical care — including providing healthcare on-site at the Miami lockup 24 hours a day.

In an interview with The Herald Tuesday, Secretary Wansley Walters suggested poor decision-making — not policies, procedures, training or money — was responsible for Eric's death.

On Wednesday, state Sen. Ronda Storms, who serves on the powerful Justice Appropriations Subcommittee and chairs the Children, Families and Elder Affairs committee, said she asked Walters to brief her on the youth's death. "The secretary told me there was no question at all that 911 should have been called," Storms said.

"There was no evidence he was acting out," said the Valrico Republican. "He was a good kid. He's doing everything he's supposed to do. If this is how they treat the good kids, how do they treat the kids who are acting out? That's a scary proposition."

According to the medical log, four guards and a nurse, none of whom are named, were in the room with Eric in his final moments, with two other guards outside. "One officer doing rescue breathing and me doing chest compressions," the nurse wrote. At 8 a.m., paramedics arrived, connected the youth to their own defibrillator and began doing chest compressions themselves, the log says.

"Their machine got a flat line," the nurse wrote. "They said [there was] nothing they could do; the police would then take over from there."

The progress notes' last item contains only one word: "deceased."

Eric, who turned 18 eight days before he died, was stopped June 29 while riding his bicycle because the bike did not have a night light, sources told The Herald. During the stop, officers found a small amount of marijuana on the teen. Because he already was on probation for a years-old robbery charge, Eric was sent to the detention center. He was five feet, eight inches tall, and weighed 120 pounds. A picture of the teen attached to the log shows a youthful-looking kid with a thick Afro and his mouth partly agape. He had a tattoo on his right arm, and was missing a tooth.

At admission, Eric told lockup staff he had smoked marijuana three hours earlier, "one hit."

On Sunday, July 10, beginning around 1:30 a.m., Eric complained he had a severe headache, and began hallucinating that an imaginary person was on top of him. He had been throwing up for hours as guards sought "guidance" from a different nurse who did not answer her phone. Records say lockup supervisors and the facility's superintendent instructed staff not to call 911.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Comments: "Lockup's medical log details teen's death spiral"
                  « Reply #71 on: August 02, 2011, 10:54:27 PM »
                  Comments left for the above article, "Lockup's medical log details teen's death spiral" (by Carol Marbin Miller, 07.20.11, The Miami Herald):

southernman305 · 07/20/2011 09:53 PM
                    R.I.P.
                    God is Love.
                  Heatman361 · 07/20/2011 11:17 PM
                    You just never know what will happen.
                  sapo · 07/20/2011 11:42 PM
                    18 what was he doing in a juvenile detention center? You can not house an adult with children and how can we judge the first responders they are not Doctors and can only give the current and imidiate care their training allows them do do. If the subject claims symptoms of any kind monitore and call paramedics.  Thats all you can legaly do, end of story.
                    shelacked · 07/21/2011 12:31 AM in reply to sapo
                      They didn't call paramedics. That's what this is all about.
                      Read the story before you say end of story.
                    nur_1996 · 07/21/2011 01:02 AM in reply to sapo
                      They can stay in system until they are 19. I am so saddened by his death. The system has failed again.
                    Skye Lyne · 07/21/2011 08:02 AM in reply to sapo
                      Actually if a juvenile is on Juvenile Probation and they end up violating that probation then they can be sent to a juvenile detention center. It is only when he is arrested on a new charge that he can be sent to adult jail. Furthermore, if they saw the him throwing up then that should have been a sign that he needed medical attention.
                    [/list]
                    shelacked · 07/21/2011 12:28 AM
                      "poor decision-making — not policies, procedures, training or money"
                      Really? Are those all the excuses.
                      A five year old would know to call 911, and it wouldn't cost a dime.
                      This was sadistic behavior, coupled with gross negligence. Murder 2.
                      merrychristmas · 07/21/2011 12:55 AM in reply to shelacked
                        Officially your are right. They should have called 911 and a five year old would know to call 911. But the dirty little secret in city. county and state agencies is save money at all costs. The policy makers threaten and intimidate those below them not to spend any money and this is the cost.  It's the old "lets hope he gets better, wait for the day shift nurse, so we don't get charged for the paramedics visit. And if the kid got transported to the hospital, they would have had to pay a guard to go with him. God forbid they pay any overtime or extra hours to get a kid medical help.  This is what happens with the save money at all costs mentality for government workers and spend spend spend for special intrest projects..
                        nur_1996 · 07/21/2011 12:59 AM in reply to merrychristmas
                          You are so right. Its all about money not the kids. Take it from someone who knows. Dirty agency with dirty secrets. We are failing the youth, and they are dying in their hands. RIP Eric
                        yessy21 · 07/21/2011 09:16 AM in reply to merrychristmas
                          I wonder if this was their child what would have happened?
                        [/list][/list]
                        nfekted · 07/21/2011 06:41 AM
                          What exactly did this kid die from?? There is a line to be drawn here and those nurses and staff should be held completely accountable for this tragedy. Rotten as Eric Perez may or may not have been, he didn't deserve to die this way.
                        leronca · 07/21/2011 11:20 AM
                          "Records say lockup supervisors and the facility’s superintendent instructed staff not to call 911."

Why do something so dangerous and stupid as instructing staff not to call 911 when it is the right, humane, legal and commonsensical thing to do?! Even the signs posted in the lockups authorize guards to "call 911 at the first hint of an emergency"!

If the guards feared that the kid was acting out and they had no medical staff at night, the 911 call would have brought paramedics who would have determined if it was a real emergency. If the kid was faking illness, he could have been punished later, but if it was a real emergency (as it turned out to be) then the kid would have been transported to the hospital and treated.

In these situations, administrators should always err in the side of caution no matter what..
                          proud58 · 07/21/2011 12:40 PM in reply to leronca
                            They will always err on the side of economics no matter what.  That is the current policy.  Hospital visit = $ costs.  The analysis stops there.
                          [/list]
                          proud58 · 07/21/2011 12:38 PM
                            Let's cut these budgets even more - better yet, lets privatize it all so we won't hear about it at all.  That's the ticket!
                          Lowell Kuvin · 07/21/2011 01:17 PM
                            Not only does this happen in the juvenile jail, it happens all the time in the adult jail as well. Many jail personnel like to play "*uck you, I'm in charge." Regardless of age, all persons who are incarcerated need reasonable access to medical treatment no matter how much paperwork is involved.
                          ZZardozz · 07/21/2011 08:27 PM
                            Yet another human being is killed by the US govt.'s war on drugs.
                            cassiuscasio · 07/22/2011 12:53 PM in reply to ZZardozz
                              I'm sure there are many wing-nuts who would support a "death penalty" for marijuana possession.  ...the same ones that defend Rush's use of illegally begotten narcotics.  The State of Florida has decriminalized and increased access to drugs...to bad it was prescription narcotics instead of marijuana.
                            [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            Family of Eric Perez requests video of his final hours
                            « Reply #72 on: August 02, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
                            With a nod to the title of this here thread, perhaps the world will get to know, after all, just how Eric Perez died...

Video news footage at the title link below, or from this page.

WPEC - CBS 12 News

Family of Eric Perez requests video of his final hours

July 20, 2011 11:08 PM

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The family of a teen who died in juvenile detention is requesting video of the young man's final hours.

An attorney representing the family of 17-year-old Eric Perez says under a new state statute the family is entitled to see the detention center video.

Perez died at the center after suffering head pain and vomiting for several hours. A fired guard claims he wanted to call 9-1-1 but supervisors kept him from doing so.

Wednesday the lawyer for the Perez family Richard Schuler, says there is a rule requiring two guards to accompany a juvenile to the hospital. Schuler says he suspects understaffing may explain not calling 9-1-1.

"Is probably because they didn't have two guards to sacrifice to send in the ambulance and still have sufficient coverage," said family attorney Richard Schuler.

A Department of Juvenile Justice spokeswoman said she would check to see if she could comment given the on-going investigation.

Copyright © 2011 Freedom Communications · CBS 12 News

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            Last 7 hours of teen's life revealed
                            « Reply #73 on: August 02, 2011, 11:26:58 PM »
                            Video news footage at the title link:

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Last 7 hours of teen's life revealed
                            Attorney releases medical log

Posted: 07/21/2011
                            By: Rochelle Ritchie

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - After days of waiting and guessing what could have happened to Eric Perez, the teen who died at a West Palm Beach detention center, the medical log has finally been released and light has been shed on the last seven hours of his life.

Perez's family attorney, Richard Schuler, released the teen's medical log and the termination letter for one of the fired employees.

The log describes how Perez wasn't seen for more than six hours by a medical professional.

It was 1:30 a.m. when juvenile inmate number 101838 was found sick in his cell.

In the termination letter, hand delivered to the now former supervisor Terence D. Davis, the Department of Juvenile Justice says Davis was called to module B-2.

A family attorney says at that time, Perez had become severely ill and was vomiting.

At 2:15 a.m., Davis was called back to the module and was directed by his superintendent to call nurse Diana Heras for help, but she didn't answer the phone.

Heras has worked for Corizon Health Services, which is contracted by the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice.

They sent a statement saying  "Their contract provides medical staff from 7 a.m. to one p.m. on weekends, and that nurses are not on-call during the overnight hours. Instead the local pediatric physician practice that provides physician services for the facility has a doctor on call at all times."

At 5:40 a.m., 4 hours and ten minutes after falling ill, Perez was moved to the medical confinement area.

DJJ again says Davis failed to call 911.

What happened next is documented in Perez's medical log. In it, a nurse says at 7:45 a.m. she was told by a supervisor a youth was in medical confinement and had been vomiting through the night. Six minutes later at 7:51 a.m., Perez was observed snoring.

At 7:55 a.m. he stopped breathing.

After numerous attempts to revive him, the medical log says Perez flat-lined and there was nothing else they could do.

His attorneys say he was pronounced dead at 8:09 a.m.

His cause of death is a question that's yet to be answered.

It could be weeks before an autopsy report is released.

As for the other guard fired, Flloyd Powell, he plans to sue the state for wrongful termination. Since Perez's death he has argued he was given an order not to call 911.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            Death of Eric Perez
                            « Reply #74 on: August 02, 2011, 11:35:38 PM »
                            From one of TCPalm.com's blogs:

Michael Goforth — Opinion | St. Lucie County

Death of Eric Perez
                            By Michael Goforth on July 22, 2011 2:08 PM

The Children's Campaign of Florida, a watchdog group on the status of young people in this state, has taken up the case of Eric Perez of Fort Pierce following his death in a juvenile detention center in Palm Beach County.

With each new report, the tragedy becomes more stunning.

Here's what The Children's Campaign said today:

When Eric Perez died in the West Palm Beach Detention Center on Sunday, July 10, it awakened painful memories of Omar Paisley. His death in a Miami-Dade Detention Center in 2003 rocked the state in its cruelty. DJJ staff didn't respond to his appendicitis attack, allowing him to writhe in his cell in excruciating pain for 3 days. By time medical help was summoned, it was too late. Omar died.

Eric's medical dilemma, not yet disclosed, was more acute and short-lived.  His painful death, however, was no less gruesome. And like Omar, medical help was not summoned promptly despite obvious signs of distress.

Clearly, policies and procedures implemented by DJJ after Omar's death were not followed. But, critical questions remain unanswered.

The Children's Campaign in our role of Watchdog is speaking to many and gathering facts. More will be reported soon and questions will be raised.

Categories: Fort Pierce, Florida, Happenings, St. Lucie County, St. Lucie County government, St. Lucie County people

Tags: 911, Children's Campaign, death, Eric Perez, Fort Pierce, juvenile detention center

© 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co.