Author Topic: The world will never know how Eric Perez died  (Read 31844 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
West Palm Beach jail staff failed to call 911 before teen di
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
Here's the aforementioned expanded/updated Miami Herald piece by Carol Marbin Miller...

This article was also published by the Sun-Sentinel on the same date with a slightly different title: West Palm jail staff failed to call 911 before teen died, officials say. No pics at that link, though.

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Miami Herald
Posted on Monday, 07.18.11

DEPARTMENT OF JUVENILE JUSTICE

West Palm Beach jail staff failed to call 911 before teen died

State juvenile justice officials say staffers at the West Palm Beach lockup failed to call 911 when a teen in their care became deadly ill. The teen died hours later.

BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER
[email protected]

Maritza Perez, the mother of Eric Perez, at a press conference Monday afternoon. (Damon Higgins/The Palm Beach Post)

Eric Perez (Photo provided)

Florida juvenile justice administrators confirmed late Monday that guards and supervisors at a West Palm Beach lockup never sought emergency care for a teenager who suffered in pain for hours before he finally died.

As the Department of Juvenile Justice's investigation into the July 10 death of Eric Perez, 18, continued Monday, authorities revealed that the lockup's top administrator, Superintendent Anthony Flowers, was among four employees suspended last week. Another two employees, a guard and a supervisor, were fired.

"While the cause of death is yet unknown, it is clear that staff at the facility during the crisis did not contact 911 in accordance with DJJ policies and training," Samadhi Jones, a DJJ spokeswoman in Tallahassee, said in a statement Monday.

Jones declined to discuss any other aspects of Perez's death Monday.

DJJ Secretary Wansley Walters, a former head of Miami's juvenile assessment center, said in a prepared statement: "We took immediate action because we cannot tolerate staff not following policies and procedures, especially as it relates to the medical care of youth in our custody."

One of the two people fired in the incident, guard Floyd Powell, 35, told The Miami Herald on Monday he was fired after he disclosed to investigators that he was forbidden to call 911 when he became concerned for the teen, who was screaming that his head hurt and had vomited for several hours.

"I was going to call 911, but my supervisor looked at me in the face and said, 'He'll be fine. Don't call 911,' " Powell said.

Powell's one-page termination letter, provided to the newspaper late Monday under Florida's public records law, said only that Powell had failed to complete a probationary period.

Powell's lawyer, Cathy L. Purvis Lively of Lake Worth, said she will seek damages from the state for his "wrongful termination."

"This guy desperately wanted to call 911," Lively said. "He was told, No, you are not to do that."

Powell could not make the call on his own, Lively said, because the "module" where he oversaw several detained youth did not contain a telephone, and Powell could not reach a phone without walking away from his post and leaving other youth unsupervised. Guards are not allowed to bring their personal cell phones into the lockup.

And though Powell and other guards did notify an on-call nurse to see Eric, the nurse failed to return two messages, he said.

"I asked [Perez] 'What's going on?,' " Powell said. "He wasn't talking. He was crying out loud in pain."

Leaders of the Palm Beach Public Defender's office told The Herald late Monday that several other detainees in the B2 Module with Perez confirmed to their attorneys that Eric had pleaded for help for hours without success.

"It is our understanding that at least one child, and possibly more, tried to get assistance for this child," Public Defender Carey Haughwout said.

On the day she buried her son, Maritza Perez, 47, is still looking for answers. "I am devastated, absolutely devastated," she said.

"Everybody who was there shouldn't be there any more," she said. "They should have 24-hour, around-the-clock medical care for these kids. Period. .?.?. Just because a kid makes a mistake, he shouldn't have to pay for it with his life."

Perez, who had been arrested on a robbery charge and had turned 18 a few days before his death, was due to be released in a few days.

Haughwout, the West Palm Beach public defender, said she fears cutbacks in lockup staff may have contributed to Perez's death. In recent months, more than a dozen detention center employees had been laid off by the state. Though personnel at the lockup had declined, Haughwout said, the number of youth detained there did not. "That's a recipe for disaster," she said.

On the morning Perez died, Powell said he was working a double shift so that the lockup would have enough guards to patrol the facility. "There is some concern that they didn't have sufficient staff to be able to take [Eric] to the hospital," Haughwout said. "That doesn't excuse not calling an ambulance."

Perez's death bears striking similarities to the 2003 death of an Opa-locka teenager that sent shock waves throughout the state.

On June 9, 2003, 17-year-old Omar Paisley died of a ruptured appendix after he had pleaded with guards and nurses at the Miami lockup for three days to see a doctor. Records and testimony from a criminal investigation and legislative hearings showed that guards had sought permission to call for an ambulance, but were thwarted by their supervisors.

Following Omar's death, DJJ administrators announced a series of sweeping changes to medical care in juvenile lockups. Among the policies: Any guard, supervisor, or even volunteer was given absolute authority to call for an ambulance.

Former state Sen. Dan Gelber, who blasted DJJ relentlessly following Omar's death as part of a legislative panel, called Eric's death yet "another chapter" in what he and other lawmakers then called the agency's "culture of neglect."

"Another child has been killed by bureaucratic indifference," said Gelber, a former prosecutor who lost his bid for Florida attorney general last year. "The state cannot take responsibility for children and then kill them."

Dale Dobular, who was superintendent of the Miami lockup for almost four years after Omar died, remembers designing a poster that administrators ordered to be hung in every DJJ facility across the state. The poster clearly stated that lower-level employees need not seek permission to call 911, Dobular said.

Powell insists no such posters remained at the lockup in West Palm Beach.

And by the time Dobular left the Miami lockup in the summer of 2008, he felt that many of the protections put in place after Omar's death already had begun to erode.

"One of the reasons I left was because I didn't feel like I could guarantee the safety of the kids in that facility, because services continued to get cut," Dobular said. "I felt that it would take another Paisley before the agency recognized it could happen again."

Copyright 2011 Miami Herald Media Co.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "West Palm Beach jail staff failed to call 911..."
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "West Palm Beach jail staff failed to call 911 before teen died" (by Carol Marbin Miller, 07.18.11, The Miami Herald), #s 1-20:

jokyla · 07/18/2011 02:52 PM
    It's typical in today's bureaucratic nightmare. Moving up the ranks in the State Prison system surely is not based on caring about others or doing the right thing for the right reasons. I wouldn't worry about it though. This guy will have some great opportunities as a result of this debacle.
TheMiddlePath · 07/18/2011 03:43 PM
    This is what happens when you starve government.

The Republicans love to say government should be run like a business, well in business when a division is struggling, you devote more resources to it, not less.
    reedpelosi · 07/18/2011 04:25 PM in reply to TheMiddlePath
      How is this a partisan issue?
      A child dies tragically, and you try to make a political point? You are a despicable troll.
      Gossamer · 07/18/2011 04:34 PM in reply to reedpelosi
        incorrect
        reedpelosi · 07/18/2011 09:58 PM in reply to Gossamer
          Prove me wrong.
          U2J · 07/19/2011 11:49 AM in reply to reedpelosi
            jitbag, in 2008 the gov wasn't starving and still neglect resulted in a childs death. How and why do think the government was starved. The surpervisor didn't do his job, period, bonehead.
            reedpelosi · 07/19/2011 02:56 PM in reply to U2J
              Still, it's not a partisan issue, as I originally stated.
            [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
              TheMiddlePath · 07/18/2011 05:06 PM in reply to reedpelosi
                It is the political mindset in this country that creates the environment in which these tragedies are common place.

If you think politics has nothing to do with the state of our juvenile justice systems, then I surely can't help you.
                reedpelosi · 07/18/2011 09:57 PM in reply to TheMiddlePath
                  1) These tragedies are not commonplace.
                  2) Politics always has something to do with it, it is just not a partisan issue.
                  3) I don't need your help.
                  4) You exploit the childs death to make a political point, therefore you are pathetic.
                  Stephanie Severs · 07/19/2011 11:25 AM in reply to reedpelosi
                    These tragedy's are commonplace. Exp in the prisons.
                     You only see what you want to see.
                  [/list][/list][/list][/list]
                    reedpelosi · 07/19/2011 02:57 PM in reply to Stephanie Severs
                      Excellent rebuttal.
                    [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
                      Joe_Friday · 07/18/2011 05:43 PM in reply to reedpelosi
                        A conservative troll with the name of "reedpelosi" wants to whine about partisan politics?
                        reedpelosi · 07/18/2011 09:57 PM in reply to Joe_Friday
                          Who's whining? Learn to read you clown.
                          U2J · 07/19/2011 11:52 AM in reply to reedpelosi
                            reedpelosi=jitbag
                          [/list][/list][/list][/list]
                            AndrewM · 07/19/2011 03:02 PM in reply to reedpelosi
                              Of course it's political, you fool. It is politicians and government bureaucrats who design and implement state-operated systems, and it is up to voters to decide who is going to be in charge of appointing individuals and overseeing plans and operations. If voters decide to elect individuals who have zero respect for our system of justice and basic human rights and have zero interest in adequately funding jail and prison systems, then this is what you get.
                            [/list][/list]
                              jokyla · 07/19/2011 12:24 AM in reply to TheMiddlePath
                                The middle moron.
                                There are more resources devoted to incarceration than any part of the state budget. If it's not the costliest already it is very near the top. What's needed is a simple overhaul of some of the morons running around calling themselves employees.
                              Stephanie Severs · 07/19/2011 11:22 AM in reply to TheMiddlePath
                                Same here in R.I. They cut funding and closed children group homes and programs. The prisons are stuffed with mentally disabled and the hospital they do have for the troubled is understaffed and they just lost a crazy that dived out a unmanned window that was supposed to be locked.They filled positions that you needed an education for with family members with pull because they accept lower wages..its all an accident waiting to happen..they let a guy out because of the prison last month because of overcrowding and he walked straight over his unprotected ex and killer her the same day..it is political..why cut funding on this stuff???...they need to send our boys home..stop giving Pakistan billions in bribe money and take care of our people. our high schools have not had sports for years..Its sad but the government counts on ignorance. people that can see the big picture. Kudos for voicing it and also dealing with said ignorance without insults :) Children like Nubia Doctor and Ju'tyra Allen and Jermaine Niel and also Erik Perez are just few of the examples..
                              [/list]
                              ChazThePhoenix · 07/18/2011 03:54 PM
                                ah yes...we will pay for the firing

why not just give out millions of dollars...thats what you are doing by firing him.
                              mung · 07/18/2011 03:54 PM
                                So many heads are gonna roll out of that place they'll have to redirect traffic.
                              fdgsr · 07/18/2011 04:20 PM
                                This is par for the course. I was in the military for 20 years. The same mentality develops in the Army. It develops anywhere there is a hierarchy of authority. Those who rise in the system wallow in the feeling of superiority of authority. The boss is always right. In cases of uncertainty, the boss is always right. It is true that command takes responsibility, but it is lower ranks that suffer accountability. Find a fall guy and get it on record. Government and military are bad, but police departments and other uniformed evidence of rank are subject to the mentality. Even in hospitals, where there is a pecking order of rank among professionals and non-professionals, there is the same mentality. Post offices, court houses, and utility departments have it. So do code enforcement personnel. Whistle blowing is the only way to bring this to the surface. In the Army we had the Inspector General. I used it only once, as an enlisted man in 1950. I never used it after I became an officer, but I served on the Inspector General team for annual inspections at Fort Leavenworth in the 60s. I resisted that temptation in myself and was able to go over the heads of my superiors on occasions. I suffered delayed promotions because of that, but it was worth it to me. It is more important to correct what is wrong than to find out who is to blame, but if you don't find out who is to blame, they will do it again, and again, and yet again. Self policing is rare and has a price.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Comments: "West Palm Beach jail staff failed to call 911..."
                              « Reply #47 on: July 30, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »
                              Comments left for the above article, "West Palm Beach jail staff failed to call 911 before teen died" (by Carol Marbin Miller, 07.18.11, The Miami Herald), #s 21-38:

Gossamer · 07/18/2011 04:34 PM
                                Who the duck are these supervisors??? Criminal charges now!
                              constructionqueen · 07/18/2011 04:34 PM
                                Who are these supervisors? The one who said "No, you are not to do that" in regard calling 911 should be FIRED and charged with manslaughter for not helping or allowing anyone else to help this young person. This is definitely one case in which I agree to whatever court proceedings the family takes. Disgusting!
                              HarleyRider · 07/19/2011 12:26 AM
                                what the heck  was it so bad to call 911  the cop should have called anyway  and maybe would have saved another child.  the cop that ordered not to call 911  should be FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YOU CAUSED HIS DEATH....  GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL.  YOU SHOULD NOT WEAR A BADGE.....
                              HarleyRider · 07/19/2011 12:31 AM
                                ALL THESE POLITIANS SHOULD BE FIRED.  WE AS THE PEOPLE CAN RUN THE CITYS.  ALL THEY DO IS TAKE MONIES AND MONIES AND TALK SH**T.  THEY WILL DO THIS AND THAT.  b.S.  LET TAKE OVER AND RUN THEM OUT OF THERE JOBS.  THEN FLORIDA COULD GET BACK ON FINANCIAL TRACK.   ALSO, CUT BACK ON COMPANY CARS, COMPANY SPENDING( EXPENSIVE DINNERS, VACATIONS. MORE PAYS THAN THEY SHOULD  THEY SHOULD TAKE A 50 % PAY CUT.  HOW ABOUT THAT....
                              lydiawowsw · 07/19/2011 02:12 AM
                                There are more resources devoted to incarceration than any part of the
                                state budget. If it's not the costliest already it is very near the top.
                                What's needed is a simple overhaul of some of the morons running around
                                calling themselves employees. I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on--s'e'ek'c'ou'ga'r.c óm--.it is the first and best club for y'ounger women and old'er men, or older women and y'ounger men,to int'eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch'eck 'it out or tell your friends!
                              aaava · 07/19/2011 05:05 AM
                                Seriously, you can't be that stupid.  What's all this about 'lack of staff' as an excuse for this evil act??

You folks are kidding, right?  It states very clearly that Powell begged to be able to call 911, but his supervisors all nixed it.  And calls to the nurse (who clearly WAS supposed to be working, and didn't get 'reduced') were not replied to.

What this is, is a criminal act by the supervisors, including the idiot who runs the place.  And to foist this crap off on 'staff cuts' is just people with an agenda that has zippo to do with the facts.

Whomever fired Powell needs to be put in front of a jury.  This nurse?  Ditto, for criminal negligence.  If you can't see this, then shame on you.  Stop calling about cuts in situations like this.  There are LOTS OF US LOOKING FOR WORK!  That doesn't mean it's some republican or democrart fault.  That's ridiculous.  It's the supervisor and the nurse's fault!  And all the coworkers who didn't scream at the super until s/he gave in are culpable too.

It's ironic, but the ONLY hero in this whole thing just got fired.  Sigh.  Welcome to America in the 21st century.
                              h8tm3 · 07/19/2011 07:10 AM
                                Worst part is he died suffering... Sad way to go man.
                              Jakezman · 07/19/2011 08:00 AM
                                They need to be brought up on murder charges. They watched him die and did nothing.
                              Esauhound · 07/19/2011 08:44 AM
                                I can't imagine the pain you have to be in to die like that.  I closed my eyes and tried to vision being in pain for 3 days crying for medical attention until my appendix ruptures.  This is sad, and no human being should have to endure that kind of torture.  The guards denied them medical treatment, and I'm curious to know what slander and ill words the guards used toward the kids while in pain.
                              odalys2004 · 07/19/2011 09:59 AM
                                May Eric rest in peace, and may Floyd Powell (guard) get his position back. It looks to me that he wanted to help this child but because of a stupidvisor he was not able to get the help this child needed. Mr. powell if you happend to read this please don't stop continue to fight for your position we need people like you in this world.
                              commonsenseless101 · 07/19/2011 11:18 AM
                                Unfortunately, all of those jobs will eventually be replaced thanks to the deals that Rick Scott is creating for privatization of correctional institutions. Pretty soon most of those jobs will not exist unless you are willing to deal with criminals and earn minimum wage. RIP kid.
                              Stephanie Severs · 07/19/2011 11:28 AM
                                only 2 people were fired and one was trying to get the boy help??? hmmmmmm
                              th3realtruth · 07/19/2011 11:36 AM
                                She should sue Rick Scott and the entire Florida Legislature for failing to uphold the Florida Constutution to adequetaly fund basic government services.  I hope those wealthy corporations that got tax breaks understand that their profits come at the expense of basic function of government.

One can only imagine what a $1.2 billion cut in education will do to the quality of our schools.

Let's all thank the Tea Party, Rick Scott, and all the Republican dominated Legislature for our decreasing quality of life.  But hey, as long as rich CEO's and corporations get richer, that will solve everything right?
                              prophetctl · 07/19/2011 11:47 AM
                                Sometimes it's "ironic" how things end up..... we must understand we reap what we sow,,some call it karma, but did not he rob somebody. i don't advocate what happened to this kid, but if we can get society to understand that there are consequences for our actions(that operates outside of our control at times) we would be a little more thoughtful of our actions
                              InsuranceBabe · 07/19/2011 12:27 PM
                                Horrible, poor kid, what's wrong with these people - when someone is screaming with pain, HELLO there is something obviously wrong!  Manslaughter charges for all employees/supervisors involved!!....
                              reedpelosi · 07/19/2011 03:29 PM
                                Andrew, let me guess; public school? What I said is that it's not a PARTISAN issue. Of course it's political. Read the whole thread, if you can stay focused for the 2 minutes it should take. In your case it may take an hour.
                              america941 · 07/19/2011 11:20 PM
                                QUE SALVAJADA NO LLAMAR AL 911.
                              Kiernan Moran · 07/20/2011 10:49 PM
                                From a person who was recently in the department of juvinile justice in the B2 Mod in a single man cell like where this boy was. 1. THERE ARE MULTIPLE PHONES THE GUARD COULD HAVE USED TO CALL 911    2. There is an intercom system in the entire place to call for help or to call for someone to call 911   3. GUARD BRING THEIR PHONES TO WORK ALL THE TIME AND HAVE THEM ON THEM!  4. THERE ARE ALWAYS 2 GUARDS ON DUTY ASSIGNED TO EACH MOD  WEATHER OR NOT BOTH GUARDS ARE IN THE MOD AT THE SAME TIME IS UP TO THEM!!!!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Detention center staff slow to respond to distraught teen
                              « Reply #48 on: July 30, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
                              Okay, one more about the tremendous reticence on the part of West Palm Beach detention center staff to call 911... This one gives a pretty chilling blow by blow account of Eric Perez's last moments.

Considering that the call was not made 'till they "barely felt a pulse" (according to the person who checked on him), and the paramedic response team took less than 15 minutes to get there, at which point Eric Perez was already dead, one has to wonder... Did they wait until Eric had died, before they made that call?

The Palm Beach Post

Detention center staff slow to respond to distraught teen

BY MICHAEL LAFORGIA
                              Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Updated: 8:50 a.m. Wednesday, July 20, 2011
                              Posted: 10:49 p.m. Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Eric Perez The Palm Beach Post

WEST PALM BEACH — Eric Perez was awake in the night and crying out, struggling with someone - real or imagined - inside his cell at the state's jail for children on the city's north side.

"Get him off of me!" the 18-year-old screamed. "Get him off of me!"

These details appeared in a confidential incident report obtained Tuesday by The Palm Beach Post, the fullest narrative yet of the events that preceded Perez's death July 10.

It was the 13th time since 1998 that a child has died in the custody of Florida's Department of Juvenile Justice. The death has spurred separate, still-ongoing investigations by DJJ and West Palm Beach police.

Perez's death also resulted in the firing of two jail employees and the suspension of four others, including Superintendent Anthony Flowers, pending the outcome of the in-house probe.

Before he died, Perez's cries for help didn't draw an immediate, coordinated response from the jailers on duty outside his cell. There was only one guard stationed there, according to a source familiar with the jail's inner workings, and the rest of the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center on 45th Street was woefully understaffed in the last hours of Perez's life.

It wasn't the first time the state had failed to fully staff the jail, records show. A DJJ inspection report completed in February noted that, of the detention center's 27 positions, 14 were vacant. It was the lowest staffing level at the jail in at least 2 ½ years.

On the night Perez died, fewer than 40 of the center's 93 beds were occupied, the source said.

Alone with the kids in the lockup's B-2 Module, weary from a schedule that regularly included 16-hour shifts, officer Floyd Powell did the only thing he could, Powell's attorney, Cathy Purvis Lively, said Monday. He called his supervisor, Terence D. Davis, and waited anxiously for Davis to make a judgment call.

At about 1:25 a.m., Davis opened the door to Room 11 and found a dazed and frantic Perez inside. Davis asked him what was wrong.

"I can't hear you," was the prisoner's reply, according to the report. Then the teenager stopped answering questions. He started repeating "Get him off of me!" over and over.

The supervisor led Perez out of the two-person cell, the report said. He left a roommate behind. "He kind of stumbled out of his cell to the dayroom and sat on the floor," the report said.

Davis sent another officer to check Perez's medical files. They showed no history of problems. Instead of calling the jail's superintendent, or contacting the doctor hired to care for kids in state custody, Davis arranged for Perez to sleep outside his cell, "so staff could monitor him," the incident report said. He left Perez on the dayroom floor.

That decision accounted for one reason that Davis was fired on Thursday, according to his DJJ dismissal letter. It also cited his failure to call 911.

Perez slept about 20 minutes before he stirred and vomited a "liquid-like substance," the report said. Davis returned to find the prisoner sick on the floor. He had staffers call a nurse, Diana Heras, but Heras never returned the call, records show.

Instead of dialing 911, the jailers offered Perez a soft drink. "Staff checked his breathing and gave him some Sprite to help settle his stomach," the report said, "and he went back to sleep."

Davis ordered Perez moved to a confinement cell and posted a guard out front to watch over him. "Mr. Davis stated that throughout the rest of the night he would go back to the (cell) periodically to check on the youth," the report said. "He appeared to be okay and slept peacefully for the rest of the night.

"At the end of the shift Officer Davis went back to the youth's cell to check on him," it continued. "He did not hear the youth snoring as he had been before."

Davis flung open the door and felt for the prisoner's neck and wrist. He barely felt a pulse, the report said.

By that point - 7:55 a.m., 6 ½ hours after Perez first got sick - Davis radioed the control room to call 911. The jailers tried to revive Perez with CPR until paramedics rushed in. The paramedics pronounced him dead at 8:10, a minute after they arrived.

The youth's mother, Maritza Perez, said that DJJ officials told her that Eric had an enlarged heart and bleeding in his brain.

DJJ spokeswoman Samadhi Jones declined to comment Tuesday. Davis could not be reached.

Like his supervisor, Powell was fired on Thursday. He said he plans to sue the state, alleging wrongful termination, his attorney said.

Discuss this story on Facebook

User comments are not being accepted on this article.

Copyright © 2011 The Palm Beach Post.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Comments: "Detention center staff slow to respond..."
                              « Reply #49 on: July 30, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
                              Below comments are from the link at the end of the above article re. discussion on Facebook:

Comments left for the above article, "Detention center staff slow to respond to distraught teen" (by Michael LaForgia; July 19, 2011; Palm Beach Post):

Janice Marie Herndon · July 20 at 6:02am
                                This is so sad...obviously this young boy lost his way in life and ended up in WPB detention center and now this.
                              Tiffany Tip McKay · July 20 at 6:05am
                                My heart breaks for all the youth that die in Palm Beach County everyday.. Since moving to this county in 2003, there have been countless teen deaths.. My condolences to his family in their time of grief.
                              Yale Brown · July 20 at 6:09am
                                I am very doubtful that the actual truth about this will come out, since they fired the guard who tried to get him help. Once again always good to see how are corrections system is flawed like are courts. Prayers go out to the family, cause this didn't need to happen.
                              Catherine Moaba Hall · July 20 at 6:12am
                                Their teenagers,NOT men in a prison! The gaurds there are probably prison gaurd wannabes and didnt have what it took,so they work in the teenage jails and abuse and take it out on them! When a teenager is screaming u rush to there assistance! F*ucking unexceptable!!!
                              Eloise Thomas · July 20 at 6:15am
                                WHAT A TRUELY SAD STORY!!! DJJ SHOULD B ASHAMED OF THEIR POOR ACTIONS TAKEN!!!! WHAT WAS SOOOOO HARD ABOUT CALL 911????!!! NOW A MEGA LAWSUIT! GOOD!!! SMH! RIP ERIC....!
                              Mils Rastfari · July 20 at 6:28am
                                dont know what he did to get in there but, Obedience is Better Than Sacrifice!
                              Bonnie Bruner · July 20 at 6:28am
                                No one will know what really know happened until the autopsy report.Was there an attempt at a cover up? It seems so. The question I have is,What do they have in place to deal with detainees that have a drug dependancy problem? Severe reactions such as seizures,cardiac problems and hallucinations are common with sudden withdrawal.
                              Shay Malca · July 20 at 7:20am
                                Terrible fuckin story!!! And it all comes down to ppl that r getting fired bcuz of stupid " budget cuts". And young beautiful man could have been saved!!! So sad!!! We all know in our hearts tha government have lots money. And they need to stop. Laying off employees or this story wouldve never happend
                              Paul William Scott · July 20 at 9:03am
                                Bonnie, it would break your heart to know what key things are not in place. One of our team members spent 6 months doing research in 20+ FL facilities and it was tragic and horrifying and most assuredly in no way worth of the title "Corrections." But then again what should you expect from a state with the highest # of exonerees from Death Row? 25+ innocent neighbors, brothers and fathers who were almost premeditatedly murdered by a corrupt/inept state. Get informed Floridians, you have no clue how the disastrous prosecutions and judicial horrors affect you.
                              Yale Brown · July 20 at 9:22am
                                The sad fact of it truly is the kid screamed he needed help, yet these people refuse to help cause there ego's and the one who actually spoke up got canned. Something terribly wrong with that. This Kid made a mistake, hell we all have someway or how but I know when I did my family handled it and then my friends parents tore into me. That does not happen now a days. The whole story sucks, and you can not change anything about it which hurts worse, but as a community we can change for the children.
                              Catherine Moaba Hall · July 20 at 9:33am
                                @ Paul Scott~ and Casy Anthony walked!! Its a fuckin shame! Made her into a celebrity,she'll write a book,since she didnt have to take stand in trial,and make a quick million! I luv the florida atmospere,but hate the system here!
                              Yale Brown · July 20 at 9:46am
                                Cath she will do all of that, but have to remember is she is down 2+ million already, so not sure the money will be there like everyone thinks. And she will never be a celebrity, cause people do not like child killers, does not matter where you are on this planet, she never will be treated with respect and always have to sleep with one eye open. Wish she died in jain instead of this young man.
                              Paul William Scott · July 20 at 10:12am
                                Catherine, many have now come to accept the fact that jurors did their job and were victims too. The prosecution screwed up majorly, it's evident now. She's no celebrity unless you make her one. Meanwhile, truly innocent Paul W. Scott remains on FL Death Row for 31 years while real killer, Rick Kondian, fully confessed and was released in 1993. Because we KNOW the worst of it, it all makes sense to us. Catherine, do you know you live in the state with the highest number of exonerees from Death Row? 25+ neighbors, brothers who were about to be killed by this corrupt or inept state. It used to be that every American agreed the most horrific thing is to have one innocent in jail rather than a guilty go free. But apparently that's changed. Plus we have Gov. Rick Scott who said "I prayed about it" when asked how and who he decided to premeditatedly murder this August 2nd.
                              Catherine Moaba Hall · July 20 at 10:21am
                                I say "celebrity" bc the world knows her~ shes not a respected celebrity @ all! So,Paul, ur saying ur an inmate on death row? I dont know anything about what ur saying~ im sry,not tryin to b rude,truely dont understand anything about death sentences~ plz maybe inform me more? And if theres anything I can do to help...
                              Yale Brown · July 20 at 11:07am
                                Lol Paul Rick Scott "Let's get to work" doing what? cutting jobs? killing people? Greed is evil and has become the head guy in are state.
                              Paul William Scott · July 20 at 11:28am
                                We could say we'll pray for him... but Yale, you know with the lethal hotline to heaven he has what that might mean...
                              Yale Brown · July 20 at 12:53pm
                                Yeah. "Let's get broke" should have been his slogan.
                              Catherine Moaba Hall · July 21 at 12:50am
                                Paul, is there some kind of petition out? If it reaches a certain #, they will stop death sentences?

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Jail guard fired after teen's death, suing for wrongful...
                              « Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
                              West Palm Beach juvenile detention center guard Floyd Powell, who had wanted to, and tried to, but was unable to, call 911... was one of the two employees sacked for... not calling 911. He is now suing for wrongful termination.

Video news footage at the link:

WPEC - CBS 12 News

Jail guard fired after teen's death, suing for wrongful termination

July 18, 2011 9:34 PM

PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. -- We are learning more about the 18-year-old who died in a juvenile detention center in West Palm Beach. Monday we heard from the mother of Eric Perez and her lawyers. They say they have spoken with one of two Palm Beach Regional Detention center employees who lost their jobs.

The guard, Floyd Powell, says Perez complained of a severe headache and was vomiting for hours. Officer Powell says he wanted to call 9-1-1 but claims his supervisors would not let him make the call.

A statement from Officer Powell's attorney says, "Officer Powell was on duty the night of the tragic death of Eric Perez. Officer Powell attempted to call 9-1-1 and was given a direct order by a supervisor to not call 9-1-1. Officer Powell had been recently promoted and then suddenly terminated. Officer Powell was terminated from his position after disclosing to state investigators that he was ordered not to call 9-1-1. Mr. Powell and his counsel are seeking damages for his wrongful termination."

During a press conference on Monday Maritza Perez told CBS12 if you met her son you would like him.

"Every time I wake up, I just wake up thinking that he's right there, when I know he's not going to be there. If I'm down, he will bring me back up. He was my baby, you know. He was a good kid," Maritza Perez.

"There was a flagrant violation of the rules and standards that should have been employed in this juvenile detention facility. When you're screaming in pain from your head, and vomiting-- that's a pretty hard thing to fake. This is a situation when help was required to be called, and it wasn't done," said Richard Schuler, Perez family attorney.

The Department of Juvenile Justice declined comment because of the ongoing investigations into Eric's death.

Copyright © 2011 Freedom Communications · CBS 12 News

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Comments: "Jail guard fired after teen's death, suing for...
                              « Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »
                              Comment left for the above article, "Jail guard fired after teen's death, suing for wrongful termination" (July 18, 2011; WPEC - CBS 12 News):

Debbie Abdelnour · July 19 at 7:11am
                                This is so sad...My heart goes out to this Childs Family.........I would raise hell too!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Former guard plans to sue the state
                              « Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »
                              Video news footage at the title link:

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Former guard plans to sue the state

Posted: 07/18/2011
                              By: Mike Trim

Photographer: WPTV
                              Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc.

Fired in the wake of a teenager's death at a West Palm Beach juvenile detention center, a former guard plans to sue the state.

Former Palm Beach Regional Detention center officer Flloyd Powell plans to sue under Florida’s Whistleblower Act.

He has retained Lake Worth attorney Cathy Lively as his lawyer.

"I was given a directive order from my supervisor not to call 911 and that's it," said Powell.

Powell said he was on guard duty in an area with several juvenile detention rooms with a common area in the middle.

That's where Powell says he saw Perez violently vomiting at about 2:15 a.m., roughly 5 hours before he died.

Powell says he wanted to call 911, but his boss ordered him to not call.

Powell added detention officers aren’t allowed to carry cell phones.

He says another officer left two voicemails with an on-call nurse and then called the center's superintendent who allegedly said not to call 911 as well, but instead watch Perez closely.

Perez fell asleep, according to Powell, and then, more than 3 hours later, he was allegedly taken to a medical confinement room.

At some point after that, Perez died.

When asked about his termination, Powell said, "I feel upset and sad at the same time."

Powell said after Perez died, investigators asked him questions.

He says he told them about being instructed not to call 911.

A few days later, Powell was fired.

Powell said was told he hadn't completed his probationary period for his new promotion properly. He said was promoted 6 months prior to Perez's death.

He also said he was an employee at the detention center for 5 years.

In all, six detention center staffers were placed on leave after Perez's death.

Two, including Powell, were fired..

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Comments: "Former guard plans to sue the state"
                              « Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 12:01:21 PM »
                              Comments left for the above article, "Former guard plans to sue the state" (by Mike Trim, 07/18/2011, News Channel 5 - WPTV):

Jodi Shortle-Colberg · Last Week
                                As a former nurse for DOC I can believe the officer when he was ordered not to call 911. We were not allowed to call 911 without the DOC doctors orders. I found this to be outrageous then and now but so true
                              Erich Werner · Last Week
                                This whole episode is outrageous. A young man died while in custody and SOMEONE MUST BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS NEGLECT.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Former detention center guard says he was prevented from...
                              « Reply #54 on: July 31, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »

WPEC - CBS 12 News

Former detention center guard says he was prevented from calling 9-1-1

July 19, 2011 5:46 PM

WEST PALM BEACH , Fla. -- The state released documents about the employees who were fired or placed on leave because of the death of 17-year-old Eric Perez while in custody at the West Palm Beach Detention Center. A lawyer for the fired guard disputes contentions by the Department of Juvenile Justice.

Monday Eric's mother and her attorney told CBS 12 before his death Eric complained of a severe headache and was vomiting for hours.

So far the Juvenile Detention Center has fired two employees, supervisor Terence Davis and Officer Floyd Powell, and suspended four others. The Department of Juvenile Justice says the firings were for failing to call 9-1-1.

In a statement issued Monday night the Department of Juvenile Justice says "Floyd Powell and Terence D. Davis have been terminated for failing to call 9-1-1, in accordance with their training and clearly posted DJJ policies."

Reached by phone, Cathy Lively the attorney representing fired Officer Floyd Powell, said her client wanted to call 9-1-1 to get Eric help but was prevented from calling.

"Floyd Powell had no access to a telephone at that time. There was no land phone in the mod area. And he was prohibited from carrying a mobile phone.," said attorney Cathy Lively.

Lively says when Powell tried to go to central command to call 9-1-1 the supervisor told him not to go. Lively says the superintendent backed up the supervisor's order.

"Mr. Powell wanted to call 9-1-1, but was directed not to do so by supervisory personnel. So he was terminated for following a direct order," said Lively.

Lively says she plans legal action on behalf of her client.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Death at Palm Beach Juvie Jail Came During "Severe Overcrowd
                              « Reply #55 on: July 31, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »
                              Here's another piece from the Broward-Palm Beach New Times blog, The Daily Pulp:

The Daily Pulp

CRIME
                              Death at Palm Beach Juvie Jail Came During "Severe Overcrowding" at State Lockups

By Lisa Rab · Tue., Jul. 19 2011 at 11:48 AM
                              Categories: Crime, Law & Order

Overcrowding has become a problem in some lockups.

Eric Perez's mother has been given many reasons why her 18-year-old son died ten days ago at a juvenile jail in West Palm Beach. He woke up one morning hallucinating, complaining of a headache, and vomiting. He may have had breathing problems, an enlarged heart, or a stroke, according to the Miami Herald. But staffers at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Center did not call 911 for help. One staffer alleges his supervisor told him not to call.

As authorities continue to investigate Perez's death, one thing is certain: Perez died at a time when some state-run juvenile lockups are overcrowded and less safe than usual, according to an official at a Broward jail.

On June 13, a month before Perez died, Broward Regional Juvenile Detention Center supervisor Daryl Wolf wrote an email to Gordon Weekes Jr., chief assistant public defender in Broward, outlining the problem. Wolf said an unknown number of teenagers were being transferred from Broward to Palm Beach and Miami lockups "due to severe overcrowding, creating a safety and security concern."

In early June, Weekes learned that girls at the Broward detention center were being forced to sleep on the floor of a multipurpose room so their dorm beds could be used for an influx of new male residents. "This is unacceptable and should never have been allowed to occur," Weekes wrote in a letter to state Department of Juvenile Justice Secretary Wansley Walters.

Wolf fixed the sleeping situation but then told Weekes that teenagers would be transferred to other lockups -- such as the one where Perez died -- to ease overcrowding.

Thanks to state-mandated budget cuts, five juvenile jails in Florida were slated to be shut down this summer. While advocates for troubled teens heralded the closing of residential facilities in favor of more community-based programs, the transition has clearly been bumpy, with teenagers being shifted among crowded lockups.

"This is how they [officials at the state Department of Juvenile Justice] manage things. They don't plan; they just act without considering how the children within their care are impacted," Weekes says.

Tags: death, Eric Perez, juvenile detention center, overcrowding, West Palm Beach

©2011 New Times BPB, LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Others come forward after teen's death at a detention center
                              « Reply #56 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Others come forward after teen's death at a detention center

Posted: 07/19/2011
                              By: Rochelle Ritchie

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A teen who died in juvenile detention has prompted others to come forward with allegations of negligence and unfair treatment while under the supervision of guards at the Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center.

One teenager stepping forward says he went to school with Eric Perez and also spent time in the same detention center where Perez was found dead in a medical confinement room.

He says he is sad one of his friends is no longer living, but is not surprised at the neglect he suffered at those responsible for his care.

Perez's death at the detention center has prompted a state investigation.

"The tent is real crooked," says the teen who also spent time at the detention center. He does not want his identity revealed.

The tent, he says, is a nickname for the center. He says he suffers from chronic asthma and recalls needing help when he was inside.

"When I've had headaches when I felt sick, I've been told to just sleep it off," he says.

The teenager says he knew Perez as a kid who did what he had to do in order to survive.

"I saw Eric struggle many times so he could eat. He fought for a reason and it was to survive," he says.

Alleged wrongdoing ultimately landed Perez in the detention center, where he would die. He was overcome by a sudden illness and allegedly left without medical care for hours.

"We don't got nobody protecting us," says the teen. "I got my whole eye split open and a guard was looking through the window talking about "f" him up."

The problems were supposed to be fixed years ago.

In 2003, 17-year-old Omar Paisley died from a ruptured appendix at the Miami-Dade Regional Juvenile Detention Center after being denied medical attention.

A grand jury investigation of that Miami-Dade center found incompetence, ambivalence and negligence.

The Perez family attorney, Richard Schuler, says Paisley's death led to changes in how staff were trained and required to respond to sick juveniles. Schuler argues training was forgotten when Perez became severely ill--vomiting and suffering from a severe headache.

"There were rules and regulations put in place at that time and are in effect today and they were ignored," says Schuler.

And the teen who does not want to be identified fears what may happen if he winds up in the detention center again.

"So what, I'm going to die next because they don't want to take care of me?" he says.

A statement from the Department of Juvenile Justice says, "D.J.J. does not tolerate staff compromising the health and safety of youth in our care."

They also say, "the center is to provide youth immediate and unrestricted access to the statewide child abuse hot-line."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Comments: "Others come forward after teen's death..."
                              « Reply #57 on: July 31, 2011, 08:27:02 PM »
                              Comments left for the above article, "Others come forward after teen's death at a detention center" (by Rochelle Ritchie, 07/19/2011, News Channel 5 - WPTV):

Shea Fink · Last Week
                                This is a sad story and an unfortunate scenario but when it comes down to it if one could avoid putting themselves in a place like that to begin with problems like this wouldnt arise.... Things happen though :/
                              Erich Werner · Last Week
                                This is an outrageous case of neglect. I urge everyone to call their congressman like I did and demand a thourough investigation. Someone must pay for this neglect.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Similarities drawn between two juvenile center deaths
                              « Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »

NEWS CHANNEL 5 — WPTV

Similarities drawn between two juvenile center deaths
                              911 call rule changes possibly not used

Posted: 07/19/2011
                              By: Mike Trim

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Similarities are being drawn between a 2003 teenager's death, a Miami-Dade juvenile detention center, and 18 year old Eric Perez's death in Palm Beach County.

Omar Paisley died in 03' from a ruptured appendix that went untreated for days at a Miami-Dade juvenile detention facility.

The aftermath of his death was supposed to change the juvenile detention system.

"It would have been a double tragedy to have made the same mistake yet again," said former Florida state senator David Aronberg.

Aronberg remembers watching fellow lawmakers pushing for sweeping reform in 2003, after Paisley's death.

An investigation revealed that detention center guards said they were told by their supervisors not to call 9-1-1 for Paisley, even though they asked if they could.

A Palm Beach Regional Juvenile Detention Center officer says he was told not to call 9-1-1 as Eric Perez vomited violently on July 10th.

Perez died that morning.

After Paisley's death, however, the Department of Juvenile Justice, or DJJ, gave permission to any detention center worker to call 9-1-1, without supervisor's permission.

The DJJ isn't releasing any information until its internal investigation is complete.

Aronberg said the juvenile system was underfunded in 2003 and is now as well.

He hopes lessons learned will help save lives.

"We need to continue to evaluate what's working and what's not and let's at least, at the very least make sure that the tragedies that occurred in Miami-Dade County aren't replicated here in Palm Beach County," said Aronberg.

The Department of Juvenile Justice placed posters reminding workers of the 9-1-1 call rules after Paisley's death.

The guard in Perez's case said he didn't see any posters in the entire West Palm Beach facility.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              Omar Paisley - R.I.P. (2003)
                              « Reply #59 on: July 31, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
                              From the just above article, "Similarities drawn between two juvenile center deaths":

Similarities are being drawn between a 2003 teenager's death, a Miami-Dade juvenile detention center, and 18 year old Eric Perez's death in Palm Beach County.

Omar Paisley died in 03' from a ruptured appendix that went untreated for days at a Miami-Dade juvenile detention facility.
                                [/list][/size]
                                Here are some links regarding the Omar Paisley case: