Author Topic: deleted September 8, 2011  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Judge Joe Brown

• View Profile
deleted September 8, 2011
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »
deleted September 8, 2011
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:42:50 AM by Judge Joe Brown »

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: Boundaries / Smooshing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »
Elan did not encourage this type of interaction, they actually frowned upon it. But there was a situation where I was involved in a Primal Scream group with this gal from my hometown in R.I. I knew her family (extremely dysfunctional) and what went on in that family. She was focusing her repetitive screams on why her father hurt her so deeply and Joe Ricci (who was running the group) wanted me to get up and hug her, I did not want to. With his eyes and gestures he made me.
At this time in my life I had a hard time identifying and being with my pain (never mind someones else) and the fact this girl I knew so well and the pain she had gone through in combination with my own abuse at the hands of my father. Shit it just crippled me (paralyzed) I couldn't move, she scared the crap out of me. I remember Joe telling me how insensitive I was and I lacked compassion. This was so far from the truth, I just did not know how to process her and my pain at that time. I regressed further that day.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »
No, Daytop had none of that going on. I remember being pulled up for not having a pillow cushion worth of space between me and a boy who was seated next to me on the couch at the Day facility. In the residential I remember that for movies especially and some other gatherings which were not in circles and rows considerations were made for boys being seated away from girls.

The closest we had to that was a hug it out. This would be called for without plan (as far as I know) by staff, typically following something confrontational like a haircut that got particularly harsh, but which also then in their minds came to a conclusion which called for us hugging the crying person who had just thanked us for tearing them to shreds. I also saw this hug it out (which to be clear was unlike Smooshing in any way) in various group settings, though not routinely. We did occasionally have weird huddles in some of the more tearful groups, but in my scant memories of these (maybe as few as two instances that I remember)  everyone is on their knees with their arms slung over the next person's shoulders surrounding a person (like a prayer circle or football guys or something) as the person in the middle was going through it (sobbing after some prolonged screaming at an empty chair sort of role play IIRC).

I have considered (from what I’ve read and been told of this) smooshing to be one of the most fascinatingly weird rituals to come out of CEDU. While I don’t think (though I have not actually researched this possibility) that there is any connection between this and some of the extremists proponents of the spurious *attachment therapies* methods which also were/are boundary breaking bonding with forced holding, I do agree with your assessment that this phenomenon is an exemplar of what cultic experts have called love bombing. From what I’ve read this milieu was often exploited by various staff members. And isn’t CEDU where that psychiatrist (Forgey, I think) who was later indicted on child rape charges (while sharing his patients at another location—with his child killer roommate) came from?

There are grownups who participate in a similar (though not creepily coerced) activity of what are called cuddle or snuggle parties. This link was interesting considering their emphasis. http://www.cuddleparty.com/. This Link had a funny video http://www.babelgum.com/clips/4021782

It’s certainly not the same as what was done at CEDU and I for damn sure won’t be attending one.

Everyone could benefit from a hug now and again, but not from a pile of strangers and not in the environment that was fostered at CEDU.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
Ya know... although the descriptions of directed human interaction noted above would appear to be superficially quite different, I kinda see them as variations of the same theme.

That theme would be the program dictating how and when you could interact with another human being in an emotionally "meaningful" fashion, those moments of affection and sharing, that kind of connection that ordinarily comes about through true empathy.

The program needed to control and orchestrate even that, something which in the real world is more spontaneous, and the range and degree of expression of which are a hell of a lot more variable, depending on the people involved and where they're at ... at any given time.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Ya know... although the descriptions of directed human interaction noted above would appear to be superficially quite different, I kinda see them as variations of the same theme.

That theme would be the program dictating how and when you could interact with another human being in an emotionally "meaningful" fashion, those moments of affection and sharing, that kind of connection that ordinarily comes about through true empathy.

The program needed to control and orchestrate even that, something which in the real world is more spontaneous, and the range and degree of expression of which are a hell of a lot more variable depending on the person and where they're at at any given time.

Exactly!!!
Stand and fight, till there is no more.