Author Topic: Do the Goose Creek Goose Step  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Do the Goose Creek Goose Step
« on: November 21, 2003, 03:23:00 PM »
Check out this video:

Pot TV News anchor Loretta Nall travels to Goose Creek, South Carolina to investigate the armed police raid on Stratford High School.
This is the first encounter with the students. she met up with them after school. Watch as they express their opinions on the raid, marijuana and the drug war in general.
A special treat at the end as one student plays an acoustic version of "Gin and Juice"
You won't want to miss this.

http://www.pot-tv.net/archive/shows/pot ... -2313.html

The last struggles of a great superstition are very frequently the worst.
--Andrew Dickson White (1832-1918)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 10:23:00 PM »
This just in from my buddy Dan Goldman who is still on the ground in South Carolina

Now I promised you a good story and here it is...

On Thursday when I went back to Stratford High School, I had a rather  unexpected encounter. I started the day out as usual, passing out DPA's  information, SSDP's stickers and a few of the SSDP t-shirts that I had  left. At one point, a pair of teachers walked passed and I offered both of  them the pamphlet and booklet. One of them asked "What is it?" and one of  the students around him answered, "It has to do with keeping our school  drug-free." A heavy-set man whose name I later learned was Mr. Green, took  both the pamphlet and the booklet. The man next to him, a younger, smaller  teacher whose name I later learned was Mr. McCombs refused my offer. In my  youthful exhuberance, I said some snide remark to the effect of, "Way to  set an example for your students by remaining ignorant." I know I shouldn't  have said something like that and I didn't even think he heard me, but I  was mistaken. Read on...

Now, after most of the students dispersed, I did what I did the day before  and walked through a muddy foot path, about 30 feet over to the school  grounds to pass out a few more flyers. As I was walking back through the  foot path to my car, I saw both of the teachers again and I kindly offered  my last pamphlet to Mr. McCombs, who had neglected to take it before. This  time he was very upset. He wanted to know why I would say what I said to  him about staying ignorant. He said, "I've been to college and I've been  teaching for 4 years, don't you think I may know a little something about  keeping kids drug-free?" I said, "You may know a little something, but you  probably haven't been exposed to what's in this pamphlet, so why don't you  take one and find out?" He told me he didn't have time to read one and I  suggested he do what most people do and put it in his pocket to read when  he does have time.

Mr. McCombs continued to wonder aloud why I thought it was necessary to  undermine him in front of students and I continued to wonder to myself how  one snide comment can undermine the authority of a teacher who has their  attention every day for an hour? Now at this point, the two teachers began  threatening me with this whole issue of tresspassing on school  grounds. Since I was in fact on school grounds momentarily without  permission, I really didn't want to get into it with them. I was about to  leave with the excuse of another appointment (which was true, Ian Mance was  arriving around 4:30pm and I wanted to see him as I've been staying at his  parents' house for the last week) but then they made me an offer I couldn't  refuse....

They offered to take me to see Principal McCrackin. Now, last week Mr.  McCrackin had sent home a letter to parents offering to meet with any of  them that still had concerns about the drug raid. However, according to  the parents I've spoken with who've tried to meet with him, he's always  busy. So I didn't think I would have the chance to meet the man behind the  myth, and when the chance just presented itself like that, I thought it was  too good to be true.

Well, like everything too good to be true... It was! As I walked through  the school, continuing my witty banter with the two teachers, we entered  the principal's office and to my surprise, there were two officers of the  law instead of one Principal. Immediately, one of them, a very big man  named Cpl. Aucoin demanded my identification. Now having just seen BUSTED,  I wasn't immediately inclined to give it to him. However I did tell him my  name and I showed him the materials I was distributing. I asked Cpl.  Aucoin if I was free to go and he said, "No," that he was detaining  me. The two teachers insisted they caught me tressassing and I corrected  them and explained they encountered me in between the back of strip mall  and the school grounds on that muddy foot path. Then, in came McCrackin...

I'm not sure how many of you have seen a picture of George McCrackin, but  he's in his mid to late 50's, I would guess, dark hair that's greying but  looks like he colors it. He's about 5 ft. 7in tall and maybe 170  lbs. He's a short, stout man, the kind with a Napolean complex of  sorts. He looks tired beyond his years, like a man who has been at his job  for too long. He's been principal of Stratford High School since it opened  20 years ago and before that he was assistant Superintendent of Schools in  North Charleston and a principal and teacher for years before that, so the  man has been in education for quite some time -- his entire adult life, in  fact.

That he cares for children was evident from speaking to many people in the  community, but that he pre-judges people and labels them "good" or "bad"  and then acts towards them accordingly, was also quite evident from  speaking to his students, especially those who were at one time "good", but  then did something to get themselves labeled "bad". They speak quite  insightfully about how he treats his students.

Upon speaking to Mr. McCrackin and being threatened with an arrest for  tresspass, I decided to give up my ID. Cpl. Aucoin ran my ID as Mr.  McCrackin disappeared with his two teachers to persumably view the  videotape from one of the school's 70 surveillance cameras. He came back  and said he had evidence I was "on his campus." I admitted to passing out a  few materials to 6 students, said as much to him and apologized for not  knowing I needed his permission to pass out flyers. (It wasn't as  sarcastic as it sounds when you read this, honest.) He then asked me where  I was parked, I think because he wanted to nail me for parking in "his lot"  as well, but unfortunately as I told him, I was parked in the strip mall  parking lot, which is off school grounds. Cpl. Aucoin asked if I saw the  sign that said "For Customers Only" and I explained that I had purchased my  lunch at the Subway in the strip mall, so I was indeed, a customer.

Now at this point things got really weird. See earlier that afternoon, as  school let out, a bunch of kids were speeding around the parking lot and  burning the rubber on their tires. Then the police came and chased one of  them. I believe Mr. McCrackin was rightly concerned with this incident,  but seemed to place the blame in a strange place. (Does this sound  framiliar?) When I told them I bought my lunch at Subway, he went on about  how he was going to have that place closed down and what a dangerous  situation it was causing. I couldn't understand how a sandwhich shop could  be responsible for high school kids doing stupid things in their cars, but  I guess it makes sense somewhere in McCrackin World.

After he ended his subway tirade, I got to explaining about the "Safety  First" philosophy and from what he said to me in response, I can say with  100% certainty that this man has lost his grip on reality. He told me he  knew "Just Say No" wasn't working because they have Red Ribbon Week at  school and although it's a school of 2700 people, there were 20-30 who were  just going to do what they wanted to do anyways. I was honestly shocked  that this man who has been an educator all his life, believes that there  are only 20-30 students using drugs at his school. I spoke to at least  20-30 kids every day after school and I know I'm not hitting the lion's  share of the drug using population at that school (most of whom are  overwhelmingly marijuana smokers only), just the ones who happen to walk  home that way or hang out in that area after school. So with what must  have been a look of stupified incredulity on my face, the unexpected  happened...

George McCrackin told me to turn around and put my hands on my head with my  fingers crossed. He said he was going to search me, as he had the right to  search anyone in his school. He asked me if I had anything in my pockets I  shouldn't have. The whole time I'm in utter disbelief that I'm being  detained and searched by the principal of Stratford High School, Mr. George  McCrackin. The irony was too much.

After emptying my pockets and picking my pants back up for me (my belt  wasn't tight enough) and not finding anything of interest in my pockets  other than cash, keys and scraps of paper, I was told to sit down. He was  still looking through my stuff when he asked me, "Who's Steve Silverman?"

(I had Steve's name on a list of voicemail messages to return.) I told him  "Mr. Silverman works for an organization called "Flex Your Rights" out of  Washington, DC. It teaches young people to assert their constitutional  rights during police encounters." Neither the cops nor the principal looked  too thrilled to hear about that.

There was another cop in the room this whole time, but he never said  much. His name was Detective Brooder, and he used to work for the NYPD's  bomb squad. He took much more interest in my ID than anyone else and kept  bending it, I suspect to see if it was fake. (Earlier, when I was pulling  out my ID, Cpl. Aucoin thought my expired International Student ID card was  another license and he wanted to see that as well.) These folks in Goose  Creek law enforcement just aren't too bright. At least on these two most  recent searches, they're 0 for 2!

Before I left, Mr. McCrackin took two copies of DPA's pamphlet and an SSDP  sticker. He told me he would read the pamphlet even if I didn't believe  him (which I assured him I did) and I apologized for not having anymore  copies of the "Safety First" booklet on me to give to him. I then realized  he took the copy of the pamphlet that had the names of the teachers and  staff I had just encountered written on the back and when I asked for it  back, in exchange for a different pamphlet, I was told, "I didn't need to  have the names of his teachers." As if it was going to be so difficult to  remember all four names.

A tresspass warning was filled out with my name on it and my picture was  taken by Cpl. Aucoin. ("No smiling!" he told me.) After he snapped my mug,  I was given the warning which I was told to sign and I was reminded that it  didn't have to be this way, they could have had me arrested, if they  wanted. Now, having not lined up local counsel in advance, I wasn't too  eager to spend an evening in the Berkeley County jail and frankly, I'm glad  it didn't have to come to that. Before I left, I was also told to stay  away from the strip mall behind the school and that I would be "run out" if  I tried to come back there again. I guess tomorrow we'll see about that! I  left the principal's office, walked off campus towards my car and on my way  I ran into a few more students back in the strip mall parking lot. I told  them what happened and we had a nice laugh  

Dan Goldman
McCrackin Victim #108

Preacher man don't tell me heaven is under the earth; you don't know what life is worth;.......If you know what life is worth, you will look for your's on earth.

--Bob Marley

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 12:06:00 PM »
Clarification:
The above was written by Loretta Nall, not by me. I just realized that I copied and pasted too quick and forgot to make sure that was clear.

Onto other signs of Program influence in law enforcement, especially where drugs are concerned. i.e., a mere accusation by a known liar and convicted felon is as good as an indictment or intake "interview". The authorities can lie, cheat and steal till their heart's content, put people in prison for years, or have them deported, abuse prisoners in custody with total impunity and hardly anyone bats an eye.

Newshawk: Suzy Wills
Pubdate: 11-26-03
Source:  Dallas Morning News
Webpage:
http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews/st ... 1c308.html
Verdict in Delapaz case spurs relief, rage, surprise

Police associations see vindication; mayor to meet Hispanic leaders

07:03 AM CST on Wednesday, November 26, 2003  

By MICHAEL GRABELL / The Dallas Morning News

Family and friends of a former Dallas narcotics detective sighed loudly with relief. A juror said she had a clear conscience. And a mechanic falsely arrested during the city's fake-drug scandal muttered " el bruto" ? the savage ? as defendant Mark Delapaz left the federal courthouse.

Minutes earlier, Mr. Delapaz was found not guilty on all six charges that he lied in police reports and to the FBI in connection with the wrongful arrests of innocent people linked to drugs that were later determined to be billiards chalk.

As word of the verdict spread, immigrants' rights groups said they felt wronged, police associations said they felt the Police Department was vindicated, and city officials said they were still seeking answers.

Patricia Belmar, a consul for the Mexican Consulate General in Dallas, said that her government disagreed with the verdict and that Mexican officials would approach the FBI for an explanation. The consulate has followed the case closely because most of those wrongly jailed with fake-drug evidence are Mexican citizens.

"This really happened. We really lived through this. We were really innocent," said Jaime Siguenza, who spent 51/2 months in jail. "It's not fair. It's not right."

An agitated Erubiel Cruz said he came to the United States believing that the police were not corrupt.

He spent 31/2 months in jail after police confiscated 191/2 pounds of fake methamphetamines from a car that the mechanic had been asked to repair.

"They violated not only my civil rights but my family's," he said, adding that the 12 jurors share in the blame. "If this isn't racism, what is?"

Another immigrant, Jacinto Jesus Mejia, spent seven months in jail for a crime he didn't commit. "For Mexicans, there is no justice in this country," he said. "We don't have any value ? everything that happened to us, everything that happened to our families."

District Attorney Bill Hill agreed that justice had not been served.

"I'm both surprised and disappointed," he said. "I certainly feel that ... [Mr. Delapaz] lied to the prosecutors and also to the magistrate."

But the heads of three police associations in Dallas said the verdicts should clear the department of allegations and boost morale.

"Although both parties affected are of Latino descent, we must weigh the options of what is fair and what is just, and it was shown in court with the evidence provided that the court made the right decision," said Senior Cpl. George Aranda, president of the Latino Peace Officers Association.

The Dallas Police Department and "the narcotics division received a huge shot of morale that was very much needed," he added.

Cpl. Aranda's association, along with the Dallas Police Association and the Fraternal Order of Police, pressed Tuesday for Mr. Delapaz's reinstatement. They also pushed for his partner, Officer Eddie Herrera, to be returned to active duty.

Other organizations pressed equally hard for an outside investigation into the fake-drug scandal. The League of United Latin American Citizens said many questions remain unanswered.

"The citizens and taxpayers of the city of Dallas deserve better," Jesse Diaz, president of the Dallas chapter, said in a statement. "The public's confidence level towards the DPD's ability to handle present and future drug arrests is at an all-time low and needs to be addressed immediately."

Two dozen narcotics arrests in 2001 involved fake drugs or had only traces of real drugs. Prosecutors dismissed more than 80 narcotics cases tainted by the involvement of Mr. Delapaz and the corrupt informants.

Officials differed as to how much responsibility Mr. Delapaz should carry for the false arrests.

"The officers did nothing wrong and they were basically scammed by some dope dealers," said Senior Cpl. Glenn White, president of the Dallas Police Association.

Michael Walton of the Dallas Fraternal Order of Police said the district attorney's office bears some responsibility because prosecutors did not retest the drugs before the immigrants were convicted.

Mr. Hill, the district attorney, disputed those claims, saying police were at fault because the drugs tested positive for cocaine during field tests.

Mayor Laura Miller will meet with LULAC and Hispanic leaders on Dec. 9 to discuss a number of issues, including Tuesday's verdict. The City Council is expected to hear from the city attorney in January about options so Dallas won't conflict with the FBI investigation.

Jose Vega, who spent three months in jail on drug charges after police confiscated about 50 pounds of what turned out to be fake cocaine from an abandoned car at the repair shop where he worked, denounced Tuesday's verdict.

He said Mr. Delapaz would still have to answer to charges in lawsuits filed on behalf of many of the victims.

"He won the first battle, but he's not going to win the other," Mr. Vega said.

Staff writer Robert Tharp and Al Día reporter Isabel Rojas contributed to this report.

E-mail [email protected]

If you believe that people cannot be trusted to govern themselves,
then can they be trusted to govern others?

--Thomas Jefferson