Author Topic: FDA warning on SSRIs  (Read 42574 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2003, 10:42:00 PM »
If you just want to look at information on the web:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/e/x/exc147/diag1.html

There appear to be several different specific disorders that cause "depression"---which probably reflects several different mutations.  There's substantial reason to think that a predisposition to a given mental illness is a multiple allele trait---just like hair color or skin color.

Here's a journal article on the web where you can read it.

http://www.afsp.org/research/articles/mann.html

And here's another one:

http://www.forensic-serotonin.com/

And here's a good site with links to a *bunch* of articles:

http://www.mcmanweb.com/article-236.htm

Or, you could do what I did and find it in two seconds googling: "spinal tap" serotonin depression
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2003, 11:10:00 PM »
Ginger, how you find this kind of research is you go to a major university.  Almost every state has at least two.  Georgia, for example, has reasonably decent libraries at University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, and Emory University---possibly others.  But a community college probably won't be good enough, and the garden-variety county Public Library probably won't be good enough.

You go in, you tell them, "I need to talk to a research librarian or someone who can help me do a literature search of experiments published in peer-reviewed psychology journals."

You get the research librarian to help you with the probably computerized search.  Try searching on combinations of: "depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, biology of, neurobiology of"

Write down the full citation information for the articles of the most likely studies, or print out your search results and circle or highlight the likelies.

Get the research librarian/reference librarian's help in deciphering what the cites mean, go to where they've shelved the volumes of the journals (they put each year's journals in a bound book, the volumes will be sorted by year).

Get the research librarian's help finding the photocopy center in the library.

Look up your studies that are likely to talk about what you're looking for in the appropriate journal volumes.  Read the abstract.  If it still looks like a study you want, go xerox it.  Go to the next one.  Leave with half a ream of studies to read.  Read them.

Actually, you'd save yourself all manner of time if you'd hire a psychology undergrad honors student, who's training to be a research psychologist and not a clinician, hand *her* the half a ream of studies, pay her by the hour to go through and sort the studies into two piles: Study is well done and proves what it says it does; and Study is crap.  Then have her go through the first group and summarize the results for you in plain English and staple the summary to the front of each study.  Then you can have her go over with you and explain any of the studies in either category, why they are in that category, and why they mean what they mean.

If you have more time than money, what you'd need to do is read and learn *well* the following college level texts:  Introductory Statistics, Psychological Statistics, Psychological Testing, and the areas of an Introduction to Psychology text that describes the how-tos and common mistakes in research.

I'm presuming that the reason you're saying "nobody's seen it" is because you didn't know how to find the research.  Now you do.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2003, 11:35:00 PM »
On 2003-11-23 19:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

That's how we did our literature searches in college for our research projects. If you haven't had a course in psychological statistics, psychologial testing, and the college freshman introductory series of psychology courses, it's likely to be Greek to you, so expect it to be hard going wading through it.

Ah yes! The sacred science. The seer stones of the loaded language. You must approach the inner sanctum of knowledge and understaning either through an enlightened cleric or by way of years of sacrifice and dedication. You may not simply think and understand for yourself.

Please!  :roll:

Where's the causual effect? We know, for example, that people who are grieving the loss of a loved one or some other tragedy completely outside of the influence of either genetics or biological disease or injury will also test out low on serotonin (unless, of course, it's a traditional Rastafarian or Arcadian wake). And PET scans on avid football fans at touchdown will show the same rapid pattern differences as in a clinically manic or depressed patient.  

Where's the evidence to support a causative effect?

In laymen's terms:

A wet sidewalk
Don't really bring the rain
And the rooster's crow
Won't bring out the Sun again

Do you see how you might be falling for Program style slight of mind? Whenever I see a policy or sales advocate with a PET scan, I'm reminded of a Partnership for a Drug Free America ad that got pulled from circulation not long after NORML forced a peer review and subsiquent suit against the government agency that provided funding for it.

They held up two brain scans; one all bright and cheery yellows, oranges and reds and the other a dark hole with a little blue and grey. The healthy brain, they said, was drug free while the dead looking one was that of a pot smoker. Technically, it was. However, they neglected to mention that the pot smoker had been in a coma at the time of the test, having been hit by a truck.

I wish I could have your faith that most professionals are trustworthy and above deceptive marketing and politicing. But I'd have to discard out of hand a whole lot of my own experiences and observations about how human beings operate in order to accept that basic premis.

Is there such a thing as inherited and/or biological brain disease? I'm positive of it. Not so sure modern science has any concept of where to draw the line between individuality and dysfunction. But I'm sure there are people with poorly functioning brains due to heredity and injury.

But is most, or even quite a lot, of what we now call mental illness organic in origin? I doubt it very seriously. If it is, it's got the most peculiar means of propagation ever. It seems to selectively afflict the socially weaker in any human relationship, regardless of any other factors.

It's a common thread. Is the kid defficient in his ability to pay attention? Or are the teacher and curriculum just mind numbingly boring? Is the kid afflicted because she's sad? Or is she living in a sad world? Is the kid learning disabled? Or has he just got better things to do with his mind than what somebody else has in mind for him?

I think the vast majority of what we call mental illness is nothing but scapegoating the victim. Cause that's just how people tend to behave, given the power over others to do so.

What kind of humanism expresses its reluctance to sacrifice military casualties by devastating the civilian economy of its adversary for decades to come?  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684855674/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Henry Kissinger

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2003, 07:45:00 AM »
No, you definately do not understand psychoanalysis.  People on antidepressants do have to keep increasing the doses, its a fact. Someday you will too. I advise you to really read about psychoanalysis before you make your mainstream opinions.  It is used as a way to learn about how the mind works.  I will never have to be hospitalized again.  Can you say that with conviction?  cognitive and behavioral therapy are small parts of psychoanalysis.  Telling someone their thoughts are wrong is not the same as figuring it out yourself and changing.   Yes, a behavior can be changed but what caused the behavior in the first place? Long standing psychological problems take years to really be understood by the person.  It is an investment in their life.  A life that is not just survived but thrived.  Knowing who you are and why you think and live the way you do is a phenomenal gift of psychoanalysis.  Freud, by the way did not just analyze women.  
You sound like you would do well as a counselor in one of these programs.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »
It's a common thread. Is the kid defficient in his ability to pay attention? Or are the teacher and curriculum just mind numbingly boring? Is the kid afflicted because she's sad? Or is she living in a sad world? Is the kid learning disabled? Or has he just got better things to do with his mind than what somebody else has in mind for him?

I think the vast majority of what we call mental illness is nothing but scapegoating the victim. Cause that's just how people tend to behave, given the power over others to do so.

Very well said, Ginger.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2003, 11:20:00 AM »
Ginger, of course people mourning would show lowered serotonin-- death is a traumatic event and everyone who mourns experiences at least a taste of depression.

The problem is that for some people, they stay stuck in that state.

And as someone who has mourned while on antidepressants, trust me, they don't take away the pain.  Those of my siblings who were on meds at funeral were indistinguishable by med status from those who were off.

Also, there's a real difference between "sacred science" and actual science.  The scientific method is the best way we know to root out ineffective and harmful treatments.  Controlled studies, though they may not be perfect, are as close as we get in this world.  They certainly distinguish between those things that seem to make people better and those which do nothing at all or do harm.  And they are way fucking better than anecdotes!

Re: Freud fan.  I've read the original and am not impressed.  There's no evidence to support that psychoanalysis helps people-- head to head comparisons with these other therapies finds that psychoanalysis doesn't help depression.  CBT, drugs and interpersonal therapy do.

And yeah, so he treated *mostly* women-- if you read how he did it, you will read numerous passages where he talks of strenously having to convince people of his explanations.

Finally, his methods are unfalsifiable and therefore inherently unscientific.  In other words, if you deny wanting to have sex with your mother, you are in denial but if you say you do, you are telling the truth.  There's no way to win with that system because no matter what you say, you are confirming his theory.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2003, 11:31:00 AM »
Now that you've acquired reams of research to wade through, the difficult research begins- ascertaining if the research is as objective as humanly possible.

Note the researchers and those who funded their work. Do any have a vested interest in the findings being slanted a particular way? Do any own stock in a company that will benefit financially? Do either have a vested interest in disproving existing research?

Not sure why we don't consider this unethical, we certainly do in other areas of society.
Would you want a politician designing public policy and laws that would benefit a particular company that they or their cronnies were invested in, and which may not be in the best interest of "the people" or environment?

Would you want an accountant cooking the books for the corp you've slaved in for 25 years- being compensated on the side to cleverly funnel your retirement funds into the CEO/board members pockets?

Both happen inspite of laws designed to prevent it, but there appears to be no safeguards in the field of scientific research. Let's face it- most research is designed to be slanted, which will have an impact on public opinion and policy and consequently certain people's bank accounts.

Remember when scientist assured us that once we killed our limited number of brain cells we would not generate new ones, I guess one would just became a vegetable. Not sure who stood to gain from that, possible the drug war folks, but a subsequent study apparently disproved those findings because the notion was retracted.

Remember when researchers "proved" that blacks were "intellectually inferior"? That notion still exists and the study still cited, long after it was disproven by subsequent research. Rational people knew the truth without the benefit of either study.

We shouldn't have to research the researchers to ferret out any possible agendas. At the very least, they should be required to disclose personal information, as should those who fund the research.

Research can in fact do as much harm as good. Take it with a grain of salt.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »
Anon mom, look, we're all guessing, even the scientists. That's why they so often turn out to be wrong.

You seem to be taking the position that all or most of what we call mental illness, specifically depression, is organic in origin. But you present as evidence low serotonin levels. And you acknowledge that inorganic depression also causes low serotonin levels. How do you determine which is the cause and which is the effect?

If the drugs are working for you, great! But that doesn't necessarily mean the cause of low serotonin levels is always genetic or organic.

Look, I woke up this morning after some unpleasant dreams. It's rainy, cloudy and chilly out. The kid lost a day of work due to slow business. Then a friend sends me this link:
http://www.kypost.com/2003/11/19/bill111903.html

My serotonin levels are probably very low right now. I blame my father and his kin. They were poor coal minders and bootleggers who made it through the depression and all landed up owning homes and cars and a little cache of trinkets to leave to their young relatives when they died. They taught me that we live in a free country where, if you work hard and are honest, you'll be rewarded. Now I'm raising my kids in a world where, if they act like children or like teenagers, they'll likely land up in prison or under the same kind of forced treatment I endured. And their prospects for future prosperity and security are pretty slim.

If you want to call it organic mental illness and blame my father, fine. But I don't look at it that way. We're living in a very depressing, frightening world these days. Is my inability to unsee it a dysfunction? Should I drug myself so that I'll feel better about it?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use

--Galileo Galilei

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »
Psychoanalysts have a saying:  Let them continue their research with psychology,  it keeps them out of our hair so we can really help someone.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2003, 12:04:00 PM »
In a desperate mind
Little gardens grow
They grow very wide
They grow very tall

Why am I alive
Urban Wonderland
By the fence I stand
In and out of hand

There are many paths
Dripping dark so dense
Do not enter here
Enter over there

People closing in
Barking at my mind
Shoving me to wine
I want all alone

I want my own home
I want my own girl
Help me hate the world
Own and love my life

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2003, 12:07:00 PM »
Deborah
We shouldn't have to research the researchers to ferret out any possible agendas. At the very least, they should be required to disclose personal information, as should those who fund the research.

Research can in fact do as much harm as good. Take it with a grain of salt.

You've said essentially this a couple of times; we shouldn't have to check the researchers' homework or we shouldn't have to rely on the net for hidden informatin.

I disagree. I think a lot of the problems we're facing now are the direct result of having too much faith in the experts and authorities. We will always have to check, be skeptical, let the buyer beware.

The primary difference between the net and broadcast media is that broadcast goes from one central point of origin to many passive recipients while the net is a many to many medium. Before electronic communications, people read flyers and newspapers and listened to a guy on a soap box, but those broadcast style communications only garnered so much attention. People made up their minds about everything after discussion, argument and careful consideration.

That's how we came about our vaunted Constitution. I think it was a pretty good process, don't you? This is similar. Those of us who are pathologically curious can seek out more and better information than what filters through the professions and mainstream media. That's not a bad thing. That people have to be skeptical and question the presumed authorities is not a sign of some disfunction. That's the way human culture has always been.

A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace.
http://memory.loc.gov/const/fed/fed_46.html' target='_new'>James Madison, The Federalist No. 46

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »
On 2003-11-24 04:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"No, you definately do not understand psychoanalysis.  People on antidepressants do have to keep increasing the doses, its a fact. Someday you will too. I advise you to really read about psychoanalysis before you make your mainstream opinions.  It is used as a way to learn about how the mind works.  I will never have to be hospitalized again.  Can you say that with conviction?  cognitive and behavioral therapy are small parts of psychoanalysis.  Telling someone their thoughts are wrong is not the same as figuring it out yourself and changing.   Yes, a behavior can be changed but what caused the behavior in the first place? Long standing psychological problems take years to really be understood by the person.  It is an investment in their life.  A life that is not just survived but thrived.  Knowing who you are and why you think and live the way you do is a phenomenal gift of psychoanalysis.  Freud, by the way did not just analyze women.  

You sound like you would do well as a counselor in one of these programs.  "

Nice insult.  Do you often get people to do what you want by insulting them?  If so, you muat be used to dealing with really gullible people.

Your predictive statement about antidepressants and increasing dose are interesting in that they are not falisifiable---if someone hasn't had to increase dose over a long period of time, you don't take that as evidence you just might be wrong, you just say that that doesn't matter because they *will*---so nothing ever counts as evidence against your hypothesis.

Which pretty much describes psychoanalysis in a nutshell, come to think of it.

I don't do, and wouldn't do, "program" counseling because I don't think unlicensed counselors have any business mucking up with the brain of someone who allegedly is so seriously fucked up that it justified institutionalizing them.  If they're *genuinely* fucked up enough to be involuntarily institutionalized, then they're fucked up enough to merit having their therapy and treatment done by *licensed professionals*.

(Also, even if I was qualified to treat institutionalized patients, I kind of have better things to do with my life.)

That the programs say, on one hand, "Your teen is fucked up enough that he's gonna die if you don't institutionalize him," and on the other hand say the mutually contradictory, "Oh, but his problem is mild enough that our counselors with only a bachelors in this or that can handle it just fine!"

Those are clear signs of a scam.  Those positions are mutually contradictory, and what they both have in common is they get the program more money.

Clinical studies of psychoanalysis have demonstrated pretty conclusively that it is no more effective than a placebo.  Stay a true believer if you want, it's crap, and that's all I have to say about it---but you're welcome to have the last word.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2003, 01:11:00 PM »
On 2003-11-24 09:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"
I don't do, and wouldn't do, "program" counseling because I don't think unlicensed counselors have any business mucking up with the brain of someone who allegedly is so seriously fucked up that it justified institutionalizing them.  If they're *genuinely* fucked up enough to be involuntarily institutionalized, then they're fucked up enough to merit having their therapy and treatment done by *licensed professionals*.

http://thestraights.com/ Somewhere in the layout, there's a link to Wes' book, A Clockwork Straight In his chapter on Miller Newton (The Clinicians, I think it's called) Wes details how the Rev., Dr., Dr., Fr. Virgil Cassian Newton went about generating his impressive string of titles. He even managed to secure for himself priviledges like a real doctor at a local hospital!

Most of the time, PhD stands for Pile higher and Deeper.

Those are clear signs of a scam.  Those positions are mutually contradictory, and what they both have in common is they get the program more money.

Clinical studies of psychoanalysis have demonstrated pretty conclusively that it is no more effective than a placebo.  Stay a true believer if you want, it's crap, and that's all I have to say about it---but you're welcome to have the last word."

What can I say? Modern science is just not all it's cracked up to be. I sincerely think we're headed for another dark age. May you find yourself in the company of folk who are kind, poetic, competent and well able to defend themselves from the buggering masses of hungry and out of work ties and clip boards.

Being a street cop, witnessing the tragedy firsthand, I've become
convinced that drug prohibition -- not drugs themselves -- are driving the HIV epidemic and the systemic crime that has swamped our criminal justice systems.
--Vancouver Police Const. Gil Puder

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »
On 2003-11-23 20:35:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2003-11-23 19:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

That's how we did our literature searches in college for our research projects. If you haven't had a course in psychological statistics, psychologial testing, and the college freshman introductory series of psychology courses, it's likely to be Greek to you, so expect it to be hard going wading through it.

Ah yes! The sacred science. The seer stones of the loaded language. You must approach the inner sanctum of knowledge and understaning either through an enlightened cleric or by way of years of sacrifice and dedication. You may not simply think and understand for yourself.

Please!  :roll:

Where's the causual effect? We know, for example, that people who are grieving the loss of a loved one or some other tragedy completely outside of the influence of either genetics or biological disease or injury will also test out low on serotonin (unless, of course, it's a traditional Rastafarian or Arcadian wake). And PET scans on avid football fans at touchdown will show the same rapid pattern differences as in a clinically manic or depressed patient.  

Where's the evidence to support a causative effect?

In laymen's terms:

A wet sidewalk

Don't really bring the rain

And the rooster's crow

Won't bring out the Sun again

Do you see how you might be falling for Program style slight of mind? Whenever I see a policy or sales advocate with a PET scan, I'm reminded of a Partnership for a Drug Free America ad that got pulled from circulation not long after NORML forced a peer review and subsiquent suit against the government agency that provided funding for it.

They held up two brain scans; one all bright and cheery yellows, oranges and reds and the other a dark hole with a little blue and grey. The healthy brain, they said, was drug free while the dead looking one was that of a pot smoker. Technically, it was. However, they neglected to mention that the pot smoker had been in a coma at the time of the test, having been hit by a truck.

I wish I could have your faith that most professionals are trustworthy and above deceptive marketing and politicing. But I'd have to discard out of hand a whole lot of my own experiences and observations about how human beings operate in order to accept that basic premis.

Is there such a thing as inherited and/or biological brain disease? I'm positive of it. Not so sure modern science has any concept of where to draw the line between individuality and dysfunction. But I'm sure there are people with poorly functioning brains due to heredity and injury.

But is most, or even quite a lot, of what we now call mental illness organic in origin? I doubt it very seriously. If it is, it's got the most peculiar means of propagation ever. It seems to selectively afflict the socially weaker in any human relationship, regardless of any other factors.

What kind of humanism expresses its reluctance to sacrifice military casualties by devastating the civilian economy of its adversary for decades to come?  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684855674/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Henry Kissinger

"

Ginger, evaluating the research to see if it is well or poorly done, and whether, if well done, it actually does prove what the researcher *says* it proves IS thinking for yourself.

You just have to develop the competence to understand what the hell you're looking at before you can do that.

And, of course, causality is part of the whole question---and to understand if it's proven, you have to understand what kind of research and data provides support to the theory that A causes B, and what kind of research and data is not capable of providing information about causality.

And a literature search is how you get the information about which to think for yourself.  Because if you don't have data, then you're just building a priori castles in the air like Des Cartes.  Anti-empiricism ultimately boils down to solipsism.  It's a philosophical dead end.

It sounds like you're accusing me of making an argument from authority.  If so, then you don't understand my argument.  I'm arguing that the scientific method, applied correctly, *works*----and that you have no right to make broad sweeping claims about what "nobody" has seen when you haven't even bothered to apply that "thinking for yourself" to the body of collected data by going out and doing a literature search.

What you appear to mean by "thinking for yourself" is that reasoning from anecdotes in the wilfull absence of actual data (and no, the plural of anecdote is not "data") and conclusions arrived at therefrom is the equal or superior of reasoning from a careful evaluation of actual data from the body of experimental evidence from the body of experiments where sound scientific methods were actually correctly followed.

Garbage.

Reasoning from anecdotes leads people to all kinds of incorrect conclusions, systematically, when and where the anecdotes differ systematically from the real underlying phenomena---as they frequently do.

Reasoning from anecdotes is fine in a pinch when you don't have the actual data and you've got to make a decision *now*.  But an opinion formed from reasoning from anecdotes is *substantially* inferior to one formed from correct reasoning based on soundly-gathered data from well-designed experiments and studies.

Look, if you don't want to *bother* doing a literature search or learning how to evaluate that information FINE.  

NOBODY has time to go do a literature search on everything, and unless you really have a jones for understanding some particular thing, bothering to do so can seriously get in the way of having a life.

The only thing I'm bitching about is the arrogance of saying "nobody" has seen the research when you *haven't* bothered to go do a literature search and look at it.

I generally like you, but that is colossally arrogant.

I don't have a problem with "I'm not convinced, and I really don't care enough to take the time to pursue it."

I have a *real* problem with saying "nobody's seen it" about some body of research (ANY body of research on ANY topic) when the REASON some particular person "hasn't seen it," IF they haven't, is that they're too intellectually lazy to GO LOOK.

"I'm not convinced"---FINE

"It doesn't jibe with my life experience"---FINE

"Nobody's seen it"---NOT FINE.  How DARE you say "nobody's seen it" when you HAVEN'T LOOKED!!!!

Sorry, that just floors me.

And what floors me about it has nothing to do with the particular topic under discussion---we could be discussing ANY area of knowledge science has explored and I'd be having the same reaction, and don't you dare accuse me of "not thinking for myself" because I look at science----Because on the issues I care about enough to do a literature search I am NOT arguing from the "authority" of guys in white lab coats, I'm arguing from knowing damned well how to decide for myself if a particular piece of research is well done or a pile of crap and whether it proves what the researcher says it proves----and I've rejected the conclusions of *plenty* of published studies from "scientists" with pretty credentials because the research methodology or analysis methods were a load of crap or because the experimental results did NOT in fact prove what the researcher with the pretty credentials said they proved.  And not all the research I've rejected as flawed crap has been drawing conclusions I disagreed with (although I disagreed that that piece of research supported those conclusions), and not all the research I've accepted as sound has been drawing conclusions I agreed with.

What I'm upset about here has nothing to do with who's right on their view of a particular issue---it's the whole arrogance of "nobody's seen it" when you HAVEN'T LOOKED.

Program thinking my eye.

I like you, but you're better than this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2003, 01:33:00 PM »
Oh, and if you'd *done* a literature search even close to right in a good research library and then were saying, "I looked.  I didn't see it and as far as I can tell nobody else has, either." I would be 100% cool with that----it's the combination of the big sweeping "nobody" statement and not having looked that.....well, obviously hits a hot button.

"I haven't seen it.  I haven't talked to anyone who has.  But I haven't looked and don't necessarily know how well or badly they've done at looking." would also be reasonable.

Big sweeping exclusionary statement combined with not having looked is not a Good Thing.