Author Topic: FDA warning on SSRIs  (Read 42542 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #285 on: July 22, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
Back to the indians (who are no more from india than caucasians are from the caucuses, but there ya' go)

Obviously, the problem here is not the individuals. I suppose it could be dietary or some environmental toxin. But why grasp at straws when there are so many more obvious and likely causes.

If this many kids are depressed, maybe, just maybe, it's not a dysfuncion in these individuals but, instead, a normal, healthy response to a fucked up situation. Drugging the kids down is not going to make their situation any better. This much seems obvious.

I think most Americans have probably never given it much thought, but we need for the native cultures to heal and regain strength. They're the only people on the continent, except for the Amish/Mennonites and Quakers, who have a clue how to live when the empire falls down. And the empire will collapse. They always do.

Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppression of both mind and body will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day
http://lfb.com/?stocknumber=FF7485&code=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #286 on: July 22, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »
Ditto, before all that wisdom is lost. I feel certain it will be useful, but some won't. Not much you can do about radical weather- heat waves causing edible trees to flower prematurely, resulting in no fruit. One example of many.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #287 on: July 23, 2005, 03:20:00 AM »
Remember that Deborah will have nothing to do with the mentally ill, as she has stated on this thread.

Her motivation would be relevant to reveal, but
I doubt she will.

Why all the angst?

Why all the focus on attacking the mentally ill?

Why not be proud of Timoclea?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #288 on: September 11, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »
Come One Come All - Welcome To The Paxil Protest
by Evelyn Pringle

http://www.opednews.com
Excerpts:
This action ? aimed at pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline ? represents one of the few times in history where a group of concerned citizens will come together in a high profile manner to warn the public about a dangerous and defective drug, and to protest the egregious conduct of its manufacturer and distributors.

It will take place on September 26th through the 28th at the company's home base of 200 North 16th Street in Philadelphia PA.

Furthermore, that Glaxo (formerly SKB) conspired to hide these effects from the FDA in order to win approval for the drug. Why? So the company could seize upon and then dramatically expand into a burgeoning multi-billion dollar "SSRI" anti-depressant market.

The Paxil Protest will also focus the public's attention on additional hidden dangers of Paxil impacting women as a class, as well as the sub-population of women who are pregnant or who have just given birth.

As a result of Glaxo's hiding the truth from the public, approximately 5,000 US citizens have filed suit against GSK for the oftentimes excruciatingly painful, prolonged, sometimes life-threatening withdrawal symptoms experienced when stopping the drug.

Thousands more have sued Glaxo in the UK on the same basis.

Some of these lawsuits are filed on behalf of individuals who started Paxil ? only discover they could not stop taking the drug, even with extraordinary medical intervention. As a consequence these persons have effectively been transformed into lifetime Paxil addicts.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »
I didn't realize this problem existed.

Are there any estimates, or knowledge,
of how many have developed a Paxil
dependency?

I would imagine there is because even
though someone is addicted to a prescripion
drug, they still need a perscription.

The doctor has to write down why?

Heck, even Rush got perscriptions, I think.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »
From 1989 to the present, patients attempting to taper down or abruptly discontinue use of Paxil have suffered withdrawal symptoms as noted in the paragraph above.Physical symptoms occur:"hot flashes," dizziness, ataxia, paraesthesiae, gastrointestinal and flu-like symptoms, and related sensory and sleep disturbances.Psychiatric symptoms occur:anxiety, agitation, lability of mood, nervousness, hypersexuality, crying spells, irritability, sweating, lightheadedness, headache, weakness, and tremor.The result of these terrible symptoms is that many patients continue to take Paxil because they are entrapped by the drug.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #291 on: September 12, 2005, 10:44:00 AM »
I took Paxil for 9 months about 5 years ago. I decided it wasn't really helping the symptoms I was having and quit over a 2 week period by taking a pill every other day instead of every day. I had no side effects whatsoever. Was I in the minority?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »
I took Paxil for about a year, then my doctor
suggested I try a different one.

Nothing was wrong, he just wanted me to do better.
This is how the trial and error way of finding
the right medications works.

He told me to go off Paxil slowly and then start
the new medication slowly.

I always fast forward the process, and have never
had a problem. I have always cut my dose by a 1/3
and then started taking the new one. No problem.

I don't recommend that for others, but it works
for me ... I am not sensitive to these meds.

I haven't heard anyone else personally talk
about having problems with Paxil ...

It is just weird, to never have encountered
anyone talk about how they had trouble with it?

---

Didn't Stevie Nicks say she had trouble with
some sort of anti-depressant, and complained.
Although she is a heroin addict, she I don't
recall any dissatisfaction with smack.

Perhaps some people just hate feeling better.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #293 on: September 13, 2005, 03:48:00 AM »
There have been many people who have successfully tapered off of Paxil with no problems, I being one of them. I have also known of people who started off with tapering problems, even when they did the tiniest increments of tapering, but eventually were able to get off paxil entirely as well. (Normally by doing a "step-tapering" process, where you would taper down, then taper-up a tiny bit, then taper down more, then taper up a tinier bit, then taper down again, like everest climbers do with their base camps.)

The biggest injustice concerning the Paxil issue was that the drug company who made Paxil downplayed the side effects when the drug was released, and just plain witheld information. Of course, they stated, like any SSRI, that you should taper down when you stop taking the drug, but they NEVER talked about all of the negative effects that had been attributed to the tapering down process with Paxil, and only finally released it after being pressured to do so.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #294 on: September 13, 2005, 08:37:00 AM »
Prozac no life-saver for girl, 14
Young Alison Millar 'couldn't see past tomorrow,' her mother, Elaine, tells Mark Bonokoski

By MARK BONOKOSKI
Excerpts:
SUICIDE NOTES written -- two to girlfriends, another to her mother and one in which she says "I hate myself" exactly 20 times -- 14-year-old Alison Millar went down to the basement, wrapped an old drapery around her neck, pulled it through the rafters and then stepped off the couch.

A few months earlier, while watching the CBC evening news, Elaine Millar had listened to a report that the British Medical Journal (BMJ) had given U.S. regulators confidential drug company documents linking a heightened risk of suicide attempts to the antidepressant drug, Prozac.

"Her daughter had recently been prescribed Prozac and so, next morning, a frantic Elaine Millar called her daughter's psychiatrist to relay her
concerns."

"'I remember his words as if he had said them yesterday,' she said. 'He told me the benefits far outweighed the risks, and for me not to worry.'"

http://torontosun.com/News/Columnists/B ... 12116.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #295 on: September 13, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »
>Prozac no life-saver for girl, 14
>Young Alison Millar 'couldn't see past tomorrow,' >her mother, Elaine,

This is a sad story for sure.

If you click and read the whole story she was a suicidal patient, with one major attempt with pills
that failed because her mom found her vomiting.

She was hospitalized for a week.

She tried many medications, the last was Prozac.

It is easy to say Prozac did it, but reasonable
to state that her eventual suicide could not
be prevented. If she was going to have these
thoughts all the time, and do it eventually
then sadly there is nothing much to be done,
other than standard mental health treatment.

Kurt Cobain and others have successfully carried
out their suicides without psychiatric medications.

Perhaps going to the doctors and therapists extended her life for that year and a half,
not ended her life.

Without her mom finding her she would have
already been dead the first time.

---

She may have drank a glass of milk, but no one
associates milk with suicides, do they?

---

Oh well, a tragedy but with or without Prozac
she was a troubled girl. Very sad.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #296 on: September 13, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »
Yup, it is too bad the example was not of
someone who was never mentally ill, or
suicidal that took Prozac and then killed
themselves.

In this case it looks like Prozac, nor the
other medications did not work well enough.

Doing nothing would not have worked either,
since she tried to off herself even before
seeing a shrink.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »
US panel against new depression drug data test
Tue Oct 25, 4:05 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Drug makers seeking U.S. approval of drugs to treat major depression should not be required to first provide data on how well they work long-term, a Food and Drug Administration advisory panel said unanimously on Tuesday.

The FDA is considering changing the requirements for companies who seek to market drugs for depression and other psychiatric conditions. The agency usually follows the advice of its advisory panels.

Industry representatives and some patient groups told the panelists that requiring long-term data before approval would be a burden and could slow development of new antidepressants.

Panelists agreed long-term data could help doctors treat patients, but voted 12-0 that getting new products on the market was more important.

"We do need more data on long-term efficacy ... I just don't think (a long-term requirement) is the right approach. I think this is going to hurt consumers rather than help them," said panel chairman Dr. Wayne Goodman, head of psychiatry at the University of Florida's College of Medicine.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #298 on: October 27, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »

snip

"and some patient groups told the panelists that requiring long-term data before approval would be a burden and could slow development of new antidepressants"

snip

Listening to the patients!

That will teach em ...  :scared:

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #299 on: October 27, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »
After 20 years of depression, mixed with general anxiety, social phobia and panic attacks, I took a prescription for an MOI inhibitor called Nardil. I seem to recall that it has the same effect as an SSRI but the mechanism is different. Anyway, I started to feel much better that I had felt in a long time. A month later, I felt great. Two months later, I felt REALLY great, to the extent that I was in a manic state. Music sounded incredible! Food was awesome! Everything flet so good! Who needs sleep? Why is going to work so important? Why worry about spending money? And by the way, I love everyone!

Oh my god. I started to wear crazy outfits to work, I kissed all of my friends and some strangers, I broke into tears, I stayed up all night writing poetry, I smoked about a billion cigarettes.

Finally, I crashed, and reluctantly put away the meds. But oddly enough, I have had much less of an issue with depression or anxiety since. I think there was an internal emotional 'thermastat' that needed to be reset ant that did it for me.
ally Gator