Author Topic: FDA warning on SSRIs  (Read 42740 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #300 on: October 27, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
On 2005-10-27 10:41:00, cleveland wrote:

But oddly enough, I have had much less of an issue with depression or anxiety since. I think there was an internal emotional 'thermastat' that needed to be reset ant that did it for me.

Shrooms can be good for that too. Maybe that's how ibogain works?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #301 on: October 27, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »
***Music sounded incredible! Food was awesome! Everything flet so good! Who needs sleep? Why is going to work so important? Why worry about spending money? And by the way, I love everyone!

Sure you weren't taking ecstacy??

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #302 on: November 02, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/11/01/ne ... ampage.ap/
Report: Teen left suicidal messages on Web site before rampage
19-year-old vowed 'to hurt those that have hurt me'
Tuesday, November 1, 2005 Posted: 1723 GMT (0123 HKT)

ALISO VIEJO, California (AP) -- A 19-year-old man who authorities say killed two neighbors then himself posted suicidal messages on a Web site
before the rampage, according to a report published Tuesday.
William Freund posted an Internet message October 16 that threatened a "Terror Campaign to hurt those that have hurt me," the Los Angeles Times
reported. In the same message, he said, "My future ended some time ago."

The messages were posted on wrongplanet.net, a site used by people with Asperger's syndrome, an autism-like neurological disorder marked by poor
social skills and communication problems. He wrote on the site that he was diagnosed at age 16, but the Times reported that details of his medical treatment were unavailable.

The founder of the Web site, George Mason University student Alexander Plank, said volunteer monitors were concerned about the messages and tried unsuccessfully to find Freund's parents. After seeing news accounts of the shootings, Plank contacted police.

"We're looking into his mental health at the time of the shooting," said Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.

On Saturday, Freund, who lived with his parents in the upscale community of Aliso Viejo, donned a dark cape and a paintball mask. Armed with a shotgun, he drove to a nearby neighbor's house and shot to death Christina Smith, 22, and her father, Vernon Smith, 45. (Full story)

After the gun apparently jammed when trying to shoot another neighbor, he walked home and killed himself.

On the Web site, Freund wrote that he had purchased a 12-gauge shotgun for defense, and that his health was deteriorating because of a new medication. "I feel like I need to kill myself," he wrote.

On October 19, he asked for references to a mental hospital and said he needed counseling and training in social skills. He also wrote that he
wished he had some friends -- emphasizing it with 75 exclamation points.

Some of the messages remained on the site Tuesday morning.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #303 on: November 02, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »
Maybe I'm ignorant, but it just seems to me that if they are going to treat teens who have mental illnesses with medication, they really can't do it with adult drugs. The teenage brain is wired SO differently than an adult brain. For one thing, the frontal lobe isn't even "online", i.e. synapse (I think that's the right word) connections haven't been established between that part of the brain and the rest. (Which explains why teenagers are more prone to doing stupid things and feeling invincible, because the frontal lobe deals with one's understandings of consequences.) It also explains why teenagers would be more willing to commit suicide.

It would seem to me that it would be more prudent to research creating medications that deal specifically with the physiology of the teenage brain, instead of trying to force a medication regimen onto them that don't take these differences into account. Even then, there is no guarantee this would be successful, as psych meds are hit-and miss a lot of the times. I remember being put on tricyclics after a rather nasty suicide attempt at 13, and those made me absolutely major psycho nuts. It certainly didn't help. In fact, no adult medication really helped. I just had to muddle through my teens with bipolar symptoms until I reached adulthood and was able to make my own decisions as to whether I wanted to try medication or not.

Which brings up another point that I think is important. I think that a lot of these teens are simply being put on these medications without informed consent. (This is outside of the behavior mod system that I am talking about.) A lot of times, that can cause more problems than it solves. All I knew, at least for me, was that there was something wrong with me, and that I had to take some weird pills that I didn't really want to, that made me feel miserable. I had no autonomy in the matter, and very little information about what was going on. That can add to depression and anxiety, as well as influence self-esteem and self-image issues.

I think that part of what helps with people who have mental illnesses is that they have the power to decide whether or not they want to be on medication. Obviously, this is not realistic in all scenarios (such as the criminally insane), but for most of us who suffer and deal and have some level of functionality, the idea of being forced to take a certain med seems ludicrous as an adult. However, this is what teens have to go through, at least to some extent. This, in my opinion, is totally counterproductive to mental health.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #304 on: November 08, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 103105.php
[email protected]
(850) 294-0875

Jonathan Leo
www.plosmedicine.org)AS THE SOURCE FOR THIS ARTICLE AND PROVIDE A LINK TO THE FREELY-AVAILABLE TEXT. THANK YOU.

About PLoS Medicine
PLoS Medicine is an open access, freely available international medical journal. It publishes original research that enhances our understanding of human health and disease, together with commentary and analysis of important global health issues. For more information, visit
http://www.plosmedicine.org

About the Public Library of Science
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) is a non-profit organization of scientists and physicians committed to making the world's scientific and
medical literature a freely available public resource. For more information, visit http://www.plos.org

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #305 on: November 11, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
http://www.staugustine.com/stories/1111 ... 8971.shtml
Demeniuk trial to be conducted Nov. 28
Woman's sons killed in 2001
By RICHARD PRIOR
[email protected]

Concluding more than 4 1/2 years of hearings and motions, the prosecution and defense are ready to go to trial Nov. 28 in the capital murder case of a mother charged with shooting her twin sons to death.

St. Johns Circuit Judge John M. Alexander, presiding over a "case management session" yesterday, heard several "housekeeping matters" that had to be resolved before the trial can begin for Leslie Ormandy Demeniuk.

The 36-year-old Ponte Vedra Beach woman has been held in custody since she was arrested in the first-degree murder of her sons, James and John, on March 17, 2001.

Her attorneys, Bill Sheppard and Gray Thomas of Jacksonville, have argued that a mix of anti-depressants and alcohol created a "substance-induced mood disorder" that drove their client to kill her children.

Demeniuk's parents attend all of her hearings, and she flashed them a quick smile as she entered the courtroom Thursday. She sat at the defense table in a blue jump suit, occasionally speaking to her attorneys in a low voice.

As both sides move closer to trial, the judge said Thursday, he wants to see a list of all potential witnesses to avoid last-minute surprises.

Sheppard and Assistant State Attorney Noah McKinnon agreed to submit a complete list by next week.

"There has been good dialogue" between the two sides, McKinnon told the judge. "We will continue to do that. There won't be any surprises."

The prosecutor said he also will show the defense all photos, diagrams and charts he intends to use at trial.

"I don't believe I intend to offer autopsy photos," he said.

That decision, he said, may hinge on whether the defense stipulates to the identity of the children -- in other words, that the children who died were Demeniuk's.

Alexander noted that Sheppard and Thomas had submitted a questionnaire for potential jurors to fill out. McKinnon urged that individuals fill out the forms in the courthouse, to protect against possible juror "contamination." Sheppard and the judge agreed.

Not allowing the questionnaires to be filled out ahead of time "will slow you down in getting to the action," but it will probably save time in the
long run, Sheppard said.

Alexander approved the defense's request for a PET scan of their client's brain but did not specify who would do the procedure. He said the defense and prosecution could work that out.

Since the defense is relying on an insanity defense, the judge asked to have both sides submit recommended jury instructions before the trial gets under way.

He also asked McKinnon to submit the list of aggravating factors the prosecution expects to argue before the jury.

"It might clear up some issues if you are not going to use some aggravators," Alexander said.

"Some of them are obvious," McKinnon replied. "Cold, calculated and premeditated atrocious and cruel."

If he gets a guilty verdict, the prosecutor will also cite the age of Demeniuk's children as he asks for a sentence of death.

The defendant changed her plea from not guilty to guilty by reason of insanity in February 2003, following months of extensive medical
examinations.

She had been prescribed Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug, for her depression as well as Zoloft, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Her Zoloft prescription was changed to Paxil, another SSRI, two days before the killings, according to court records.

According to testimony at a series of hearings, Demeniuk began drinking heavily to relieve akathisia, a side effect of SSRIs. Many patients, experts testified, drink alcohol to calm akathisia's "inner restlessness."

Demeniuk was drinking Early Times bourbon and Rolling Rock beer the day of the murders, according to court records.

Alexander ruled Oct. 21 that the defense could argue Demeniuk drank to relieve akathisia, but not that the combination drove her to kill.

The only potential delay in starting Demeniuk's trial in 17 days is a "very large box" of documents and "internal drug company studies" that the defense received Wednesday from Pfizer, the manufacturer of Zoloft.

Packed inside the box is the company's own information about "adverse incidents" and the "side effects the causality we have previously
discussed," Thomas said.

"These are documents that support our position," he added.

The defense has not yet received similar information from GlaxoSmithKline, which manufactures Paxil, Thomas said.

Copies are being made of the Pfizer documents and will be brought to court Monday, said Thomas.

The "important documents" may even persuade Alexander to change his mind about his Oct. 21 ruling, Thomas suggested.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28349
From The Onion
Pfizer Launches 'Zoloft For Everything' Ad Campaign

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #307 on: November 18, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »
Academy for the Study of the Psychoanalytic Arts
---------------------------------------------

Prescription For Scandal: Biological Psychiatry's Faustian Pact
by Antony Black

The last few decades have witnessed an explosion in the use of psychiatric medication. Indeed, the omnipresence of legal brain altering drugs in our society is such that, nowadays, it is rare for us not to know someone else who is on them - if we not already taking them ourselves.

Prescription for Scandal

Moreover, and contrary to popular perception, a marked increase in the practice of electro-shock therapy is accompanying this legal drug explosion.

Prior to 1960 this biological psychiatric arsenal was confined mostly within the walls of the major psychiatric institutions. Since then, the biological genie has escaped the confines of the mental institution and taken up residence amidst the population at large.

One of the reasons for this psychiatric colonization of the normal, stems from the increasingly intimate association between the multi-billion dollar a year psycho-pharmaceutical industry and institutional psychiatry. Thus, the latter's psychiatric journals, conventions and professional associations are all substantially underwritten by the former.

Another reason is the rapid growth in Western society of an overarching philosophy of what is known as biological reductionism. This notion posits that, in studying any higher organizational entity, the whole can be explained by the parts, the complex by the simple, the higher by the lower. If you are 'depressed', it is because you have a biochemical imbalance, rather than, perhaps, that your life has no meaning. If one goes to war it is because of individual 'aggressive genes', rather than your being the pawn of complex socio-political forces over which you have no control.

The idea that fundamentally new physical properties and laws emerge at higher levels of an organization, each level of which demands its own language and theory for its description and analysis, is given short shrift in the reductionist paradigm.

A third and perhaps more ominous reason for the dramatic rise in the fortunes of biological psychiatry, is that its proponents have waged a propaganda war on its behalf that is riven with pseudo-scientific claims and evidential suppression.

Shock/Drug Therapy and Brain Damage

They continue to claim, for instance, against substantial research to the contrary, that shock therapy is harmless. Needless to say, no psychiatrists have ever volunteered to test this hypothesis themselves. In this they are probably wise, since the original animal research (of the 1940' and 50's) demonstrating undeniable brain damage was damning in this regard, as has been much of the subsequent human clinical data.

Particularly disturbing are the demographic trends for this controversial procedure. In Canada and the United States, well over 100,000 people are subjected to the electroshock every year. Over two thirds of these patients are women, and almost half are the elderly.

Still, while ECT is one of the heavy weapons of the modern bio-psych arsenal, the more usual work-a-day armament is drug therapy. The first is targeted on a population of thousands. The second on millions.

Here again, proponents make a number of bold claims. Perhaps the most scandalous of these is that drug therapy is safe. In 1980, twenty-five years after the introduction of neuroleptic (antipsychotic) medication, an American Psychiatric Association task force report finally, grudgingly confirmed what a number of previously neglected studies had attempted to call attention to, namely, that roughly 40 percent of chronic users of these drugs went on to develop tardive dyskinesia, a Parkinsonian-like movement disorder indicative of permanent brain damage. Subsequent studies only amplified these fears by pointing the finger at other permanent brain disorders caused by the neuroleptics. These included tardive akithisia, a highly debilitating anxiety and hyperactive movement disorder. All told, the evidence now in supports rates of neuroleptic induced brain damage exceeding an astounding 5 percent per year of usage.

For clearly psychotic patients there may be a cost-benefit tradeoff to consider. except that few if any of the patients so prescribed are, or ever have been, told of the potential cost. Moreover, these drugs are routinely employed in institutional settings on clients that are patently not psychotic.

Given this sobering tale, it might have been expected that biological psychiatry would exercise the cautionary principle in its future endeavours. This was not the case. Instead, the next round in psychiatry's legal drug trafficking campaign was launched on an unsuspecting public with all the same hubris, euphoria and woefully inadequate, experimental investigation as the first.

So Began the Anti-depressant Revolution

Actually, the word 'revolution' is slightly misleading here, for some of the anti-depressants, like the tricyclics and the monoamine oxidase inhibitors, have been around for quite a while. Long enough, in fact, to garner a shadowy reputation. Thus, the tricyclics, like Tofranil and Elavil, are known to have numerous side effects, induce severe withdrawal symptoms and be extremely lethal in overdose. The MAO inhibitors are so dangerous that the maintenance of a special diet is necessary to avoid life-threatening cardiovascular reactions.

The minor tranquilizers, like Valium, have also been around for decades and are probably the most widely prescribed psychiatric medication. Technically, they are considered apart from the anti-depressants by virtue of their central nervous system action. Nevertheless, they too are associated with a host of side effects in addition to being both highly addictive and lethal in combination with other drugs.

The word 'revolution', then, should rightly be reserved for the latest generation of anti-depressants, the so-called 'selective serotonin reuptake inihibitors' (SSRI's) and their hybrid kin. These include such brand names as Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft. What is revolutionary about them is less their mode of action, than the extraordinary media fanfare and scientific claims accompanying them. Though this is not the first time that a class of drugs has been alleged to specifically target the presumed biological cause of a complex psychological function (i.e. depression), they are the first to benefit from the notion that they might enhance the normal human condition as well.

The credibility of both these claims rests on the theory, widely embraced by the general public, that depression involves a well defined point source, or sources, in the brain upon which anti-depressant drugs act like magic bullets surgically targeting the offending region(s). Such a theory, however, seems never to have been burdened with the facts, for the overwhelming weight of clinical and physical evidence suggests that the drugs act, not by targeting any hypothetical 'depression center', but by simply blunting affect and emotion generally. They act, in other words, non-specifically to block emotional (limbic system) and higher cognitive (frontal lobe) connection. They don't 'target' anything other than a generalized splitting of psychic functioning.

Indeed, there is a clear line of reasoning that the sine qua non of their action is precisely their toxicity. In this they are related to alcohol, the pleasantly delirious effects of which derive largely from its toxicity and that, likewise, doesn't 'cure' or 'target' any mental dysfunction at all. In fact, a more telling analogy is to be seen in the comparison with cocaine and amphetamine, both of whose effects rely, in part, on their inhibition of the reuptake of serotonin. Ironically, it was cocaine that was first hailed as a miracle drug and panacea for psychic ills by Sigmund Freud at the turn of the century. That was until he personally discovered its physically destructive and addictive qualities.

The analogy can be carried further. Both cocaine and amphetamine impact additionally on the dopamine and adrenergic neurotransmitter systems. So do the SSRI's. Moreover, the claim that these drugs work functionally and specifically is further belied by the fact that the serotonin system itself ramifies throughout the brain and spinal cord.

Curiously, in light of the widespread concern about biochemical imbalances in the brain, the only known such imbalances (apart from a few hormonal conditions like Cushing's syndrome and Graves' disease) are those caused by the drugs themselves. Lack of appreciation of this fact leads routinely to travesties in assigning cause and effect. Thus, the inevitable rebound reactions which ensue upon cessation of medication, are often interpreted in circular fashion, by doctor and patient alike, as confirming evidence of the previously hypothesized biological abnormality.

It must be stated at this point, that none of the foregoing is meant to suggest that genes and biochemistry have nothing at all to do with moods and behaviour. Nor is it meant to espouse a belief in some sort of metaphysical mind/body dualism. I take it that the psyche is obviously based in a physical substrate, and that constitutional factors clearly influence everything from temperament to potential intellectual limits. But to see biological parameters as framing human potential is a far cry from believing that we have uncovered - or that there even exist - localized chemical origins of complex emotional and psychological states. It is, furthermore, naive to suppose that these drugs could ever act in a functionally specific (i.e. fine tuned) way given what we know of the complexity of even the most 'primitive' of brain processes (like temperature and water regulation, for instance).

Even more naive, however, is to suppose that tampering, on a daily basis for perhaps years, even decades, on end with an organ as delicate and complex as the human brain, is not inherently dangerous. Certainly our experience with the neuroleptics suggests otherwise.

Equally worrying is that basic biological principles clearly argue for the potential for permanent changes in physiology when the brain's dynamic homeostasis is chronically altered or upset. A number of animal studies involving amplification of the serotonin system have already demonstrated a resulting permanent loss of serotonin receptors.

Also worrying is a recent report in the British medical journal the Lancet, describing how a group of scientists in the United States had scanned human brains and found damage to serotonin neurons, caused, they believe, by the street drug Ecstasy. Studies with monkeys have reinforced these results. Ecstasy is thought to work, at least in part, by boosting the serotonin system.

Statistical Shenanigans

Still, biological psychiatrists will argue, and most people believe, that the SSRI's have undergone a rigorous battery of independent tests, trials and experimental protocols under the auspices of the American FDA to insure their efficacy and safety. Nothing could be further from the truth.

First of all, the experimental studies for these drugs are constructed, financed, and supervised entirely by the drug companies themselves. Their vaunted independence is a complete myth.

Second, the time line of the trials are so ludicrously short as to fly in the face of the most elementary scientific reasoning. Prozac, for instance, was released onto the market with only six weeks of clinical trials. In essence, anyone now taking the drug for more than six weeks is involved in their own study into its long-term effects.

Third, the experimental protocol and statistical design of many of these studies are a complete scandal in their own right. In the case of Prozac, among other statistical shenanigans: data were pooled from different sources, then manipulated into shape; relevant clinical groups were eliminated from participation; additional confounding medications were administered simultaneous to the test drug; the dropout rate of roughly 50 percent - and the reasons for - were never factored into the final results; and, finally, the total number of subjects that actually finished a placebo-controlled study was a mere 286. It is natural to ask at this point, why, given their potential danger, we haven't witnessed an epidemic of adverse reactions and brain damage related to these new generation drugs.

As far as the latter effect is concerned, 'witnessed' is the operative term. The serotonin neurotransmitter system, unlike the dopamine system upon which the neuroleptics principally act, is not linked directly to the body's motor system, therefore any damage that may occur is likely to be much less visible over the short and intermediate run. Moreover, any emotional scarring or loss that does take place is likely, again, to be interpreted as part of the original hypothesized 'biological' disorder. That said, it must be noted that the SSRI's do, in fact, also effect the dopamine and adrenergic systems, and, like the neuroleptics, they can be expected to exert a malign, if peripheral, influence on these structures as well. Evidence to this effect has already been documented.

Prozac Horror Stories

In terms of bad reactions, the case against the SSRI's is on much firmer clinical ground. Following its release in 1988, for instance, a flood of Prozac horror stories hit the media. A deluge of lawsuits quickly followed, whilst Eli Lilly, its manufacturer, embarked on a massive lobbying and propaganda campaign to protect its $1 billion a year (1993) Prozac market.

Among the many pathological effects that Prozac appeared to induce or exacerbate were: paranoia, compulsion, depression, suicidal ideation and violence. Numerous bizarre and gratuitous murders and suicides were credited to its influence, and a number of august journals including the Lancet and the British National Formulary came out with confirming warnings about 'suicidal ideation' and 'violent behaviour'. Interestingly, this symptom cluster is typical of amphetamine psychosis, a, by now, well known result of protracted stimulant overdose. Like amphetamine, Prozac is functionally a stimulant.

Apart from safety, yet another claim routinely made by proponents of the biological psychiatric paradigm is that the long term effectiveness of medication for neurotic disorders is superior to that of traditional psychotherapy. Once again, a claim with little or no clinical evidence to back it up.

Indeed, a number of comprehensive reviews over the past decade have come out decisively in favour of psychotherapy. Commonsense would hardly dictate otherwise, for by suggesting to people that they are merely biologically defective mechanisms capable of handling their emotional / psychospiritual crises only with the aid of a technological crutch, many of the fundaments and principles of psychological healing are completely undermined. Encouraging patients to give up on personal growth and understanding in favour of pills, is, apart from being a philosophy of despair, a recipe for emotional disaster. Thus, helplessness is substituted for mastery, dependency for autonomy, and an unexamined life takes the place of self-discovery.

Moreover, at precisely the time of greatest need, the patient-cum-pscyhic adventurer is delivered up to a zombie-like state devoid of both mental acuity, and the capacity for deep feeling, self-awareness and self-empathy.

That biological psychiatry could so blithely trample underfoot such granite pillars of therapeutic commonsense is chilling. Even more chilling is the fact that the biological paradigm has expanded well beyond the confines of the adult population. For though most medicated adult patients can be said to be nominally voluntary, medicated children can in no way be so considered. It is curious that, in an era deluged with an avalanche of new statistics detailing the pervasiveness of childhood poverty, neglect, and abuse, the psychiatric profession has chosen to ignore the obvious psychsocial causes of most childhood behavioural disorders and has opted, instead, to crusade for the wholesale drugging of this involuntary population on the basis of totally unsubstantiated theories of biological causation.

Thus, there is hardly a shred of experimental evidence to buttress such trendy childhood 'disease' entities as Minimal Brain Dysfunction, Learning Disorder, or Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. No underlying local organic malformation, physiological malfunction or chemical basis has ever been clearly demonstrated for these syndromes and no well controlled clinical studies have ever unequivocally supported them either. This has not stopped the escalating prescription of such stimulants as Ritalin and Dexedrine despite a host of negative side effects including, tics, spasms. growth suppression, and chronically elevated heart rates and blood pressure.

Naturally, the same dangers, the same potential for permanent damage, apply with respect to these medications as they do to all the others, with the added complication that, here, the potential for harm is compounded by virtue of the drugs' interaction with the developing brain.

Increasingly, Prozac is also being given to children despite their never having been part of the original experimental protocol. The license for such practice derives from the fact that, once the FDA has approved a drug, there are few restrictions on how or to whom a doctor can prescribe it. In line with this practice, the anti-depressants in general have become a jack-of-all-trades medication prescribed for everything from insomnia to migraine headache.

In stark contrast to this massive, state sanctioned drug laundering operation is the harshly punitive 'war' the state wages against illegal drugs. Though beyond the scope of the present discussion, this fascinating paradox points up the concluding need to briefly confront some of the broader social implications of the biological psychiatric paradigm.

A Biased Conception Of What It Means To Be Human

As part of its general philosophical stance this paradigm is a conceptual formation with an implicit, highly ideological portrayal of the nature of 'human nature'. In this sense it is aimed at us all, for at the heart of any political philosophy will be found a biased conception of what it means to be human and it is just this conception that the reductionist psychiatric model seeks to address in a manner which is neither progressive nor in any way new. Indeed, it is politically and culturally reactionary.

Politically, the notion that the laws of human behaviour and mental functioning should be phrased predominantly in terms of biological parameters ineluctably invokes the specter of Social Darwinism. For if our behaviour is thought to be strictly biologically determined then it is immutable, our fates inevitable, and the status quo merely reflects the 'laws of nature'. It is then but a short step to the rationalization of the manifest inequalities of societal wealth and privilege. A sort of updated version of the Divine Right of Kings in pseudo-scientific jargon.

Culturally, the notion that we should conceive ourselves primarily as biochemical mechanisms is not only dangerously dehumanizing and spiritually stunting, it leads inevitably to both a dismissive and escapist attitude towards many genuinely psychological and social problems.

In having suborned, in other words, a substantial proportion of the population into believing their behaviours are dictated principally by their genes and their biochemistry, biological psychiatry has not only set back the psychological paradigm a hundred years, it has also fanned the flames of a simplistic, reductionist view of human nature and of human society.

Psychiatry may have festooned itself with self-congratulatory laurels vis-à-vis its increasingly 'scientific' and 'objective' orientation, but ironically, it has moved ever further away from the true meaning of those terms. Having jettisoned the language and level of analysis necessary for an appropriate dialogue with its clientele, it is no longer capable of seeing itself in any remotely objective way.

Possessed by the reductionist daemon, psychiatry today, remains blind to its own historical contingency, to its own social, cultural, economic and political conditioning. Unable to see that it too has a case history, it remains insensible to its own, quite advanced pathology.

----------------------------------------------

(Previously published at http://www.swans.com and in the Canadian Dimension, 2001.)

Antony Black is a freelance writer concentrating, for the most part, on international issues from a 'radical' left perspective.  Having incubated first in an intellectual context of psychology and psychiatric theory, then veered into the sciences, thence to writing and teaching, he has yet retained an abiding interest in his first 'career'.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »
"...But low serotonin levels are no more the cause of depression than low aspirin levels are the cause of headaches, argue Jonathan Leo at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Bradenton, Florida, and Jeffrey Lacasse at Florida State University in Tallahassee..."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2005, 09:49:00 PM »
On 2005-11-21 16:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

" "...But low serotonin levels are no more the cause of depression than low aspirin levels are the cause of headaches, argue Jonathan Leo at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Bradenton, Florida, and Jeffrey Lacasse at Florida State University in Tallahassee..."

"

Furthermore, it is a coincidence that 25 million people in this country alone feel better with a
serotonin medication!

25 million people are wrong, thank you Jonathan Leo, for pointing that out.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »
And how many millions of people with rotten teeth feel better with an aspirin or 10? Hell, give em some coke instead, they'll feel better. Does that prove the existance of a coke deficiency?

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
The graduate with a Liberal Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
--Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #311 on: November 22, 2005, 09:51:00 AM »
On 2005-11-21 19:49:00, Antigen wrote:

"And how many millions of people with rotten teeth feel better with an aspirin or 10? Hell, give em some coke instead, they'll feel better. Does that prove the existance of a coke deficiency?

"

Fantastic meaningless comparison.

Perhaps you will chip in the 1st dollar for a billboard campaign that states:

Anti-depressant users:
You do not feel better
because of your anti-depressants!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #312 on: November 22, 2005, 10:13:00 AM »
On 2005-11-22 06:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

Anti-depressant users:

You do not feel better

because of your anti-depressants!"

Are you thick? I didn't say aspirin would not make a tooth ache feel better. I said it often does. But it neither cures the invection nor proves an aspirin deficiency.

Same w/ cocaine and depression. Give a depressed person a little cocain and, in all liklihood, they will feel substantially better. Give them something to tweak up their seratonin levels and, in some cases (not as reliable as coke) they will feel better. But that does not mean that they had a seratonin or cocaine deficiency. And it doesn't address the causes of the depression.

All kinds of things can cause people to feel badly. I've never said that no one should use psyche drugs. But, in the interest of consistancy, I also have never said that no one should use those other, more natural, unpatentable drugs either. To each his own.

25 million people? What's that, the total number in America who are on SSRIs? That's pretty close to 1 out of 100 of us. Do you truely and honestly believe, given the state of psyche medicine today, that every last one of them is helped more than hurt by those drugs and that none of them could find relief through less invasive methods? Do you deny that overprescibing is a legitimate issue in the industry?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Redemption: Deliverance of sinners from the penalty of their sins through the murder of their deity against whom they sinned.
--Ambrose Bierce

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #313 on: November 22, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
On 2005-11-22 07:13:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2005-11-22 06:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

Anti-depressant users:

You do not feel better

because of your anti-depressants!"

Are you thick? I didn't say aspirin would not make a tooth ache feel better. I said it often does. But it neither cures the invection nor proves an aspirin deficiency.

Same w/ cocaine and depression. Give a depressed person a little cocain and, in all liklihood, they will feel substantially better. Give them something to tweak up their seratonin levels and, in some cases (not as reliable as coke) they will feel better. But that does not mean that they had a seratonin or cocaine deficiency. And it doesn't address the causes of the depression.

All kinds of things can cause people to feel badly. I've never said that no one should use psyche drugs. But, in the interest of consistancy, I also have never said that no one should use those other, more natural, unpatentable drugs either. To each his own.

25 million people? What's that, the total number in America who are on SSRIs? That's pretty close to 1 out of 100 of us. Do you truely and honestly believe, given the state of psyche medicine today, that every last one of them is helped more than hurt by those drugs and that none of them could find relief through less invasive methods? Do you deny that overprescibing is a legitimate issue in the industry?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Redemption: Deliverance of sinners from the penalty of their sins through the murder of their deity against whom they sinned.
--Ambrose Bierce

"

I'm with you on this one. My ex is a board certified psychiatrist and she believes that people run to the pills too quickly and too often. She is a strong critic of ADHD diagnosis and calls it an excuse for bad parenting. She informed me that the drugs used for ADHD cause permanent changes in the brain that are very similar to the changes caused by crystal-meth which is actually in the same family of stimutants (amphetamines). We are giving the kids speed to calm them down. She says psychiatry does not know why it works. She says psychiatry does not know why anti-depressents work either, but they do, and so they are used.

My ex has often had run-ins with her supervisors at various jobs because she follows a course of minimal medication and only when really needed instead of making a living by writing scripts on demand. She has informed me that a psychiatrist makes between $50 and $150 every time they write a perscription. The range reflects how much the practice gets vs how much they pay the individual doctor.

Many psychiatrists live off of referrals. A psychologist will refer patients to a psychiatrist solely because the psychiatrist can prescribe the medication the psychologist thinks is needed. Some psychiatrist will insist on seeng and assessing the patient for themselves. Others just phone in the script. Nice huh? Make a phone call and get a hundred bucks.

I have attended drug company dinners with her. They give participants a great meal at a great restaurant and then give a presentation outlining their newest medication. They describe all of the indications, side effects, and studies that are done. These presentations are professionally done and quite convincing. They are also often the ONLY information a doctor ever gets about the medication. The doctors are given lots of free samples to try on their patients. The rest is left to the doctors' own experience and judgement.

My ex is anti-program. She feels the only kids that need residential treatment are those with severe problems like severe autism, downs sydnrome, or other dramatic illness; or in cases where the parents suffer from something that prevents them from parenting (like any of the above and/or addiction.). She says these teen programs are for lazy parents who have messed up their kids and want to pass the mess to someone else to fix. She says it doesn't work because the kids are not the problem, the parents are. Fix the parents and the kids will just follow along nicely.

She worked in an adolescent drug and alcholol rehab unit in an NYC hospital for some years. She has experience with the worst of troubled teens. She has worked for prison systems and homeless outreach programs as well. She has pretty much seen it all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #314 on: November 22, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »
1% of the population has schizoprenia

3% of the population has Bipolar Disorder

? I don't know how many have an active clinical depression?

---

There was a time when no one was on any psychotropic medications. During that period of time the solution was insane asylums and then state run residential psychiatric hospitals.

About 45 years ago, or so, there was a major closure of these psychiatric hospitals, it is
commonly referred to as de-institutionalization.

If there is any other reason besides the advances
in medication that allowed for these hell whole
hospitals to close than please post.

---

I prefer a different take.

To each is own. However they want to live their
lives and function, do it.

It is none of my business what someone else wants
to do. It is not my preference to criticize anyones choices and their preferred methodologies.