Author Topic: This must be the I failed at Elan site....  (Read 14190 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
This must be the I failed at Elan site....
« on: November 15, 2003, 08:43:00 AM »
Hey everyone, this site is ridiculous. I really doubt that the staff at Elan enjoyed running GM's and making our lives difficult. When you think about it, 40,000 bucks a year is cheap when you consider that it is year round care. I don't think that any of the staff called and requested your presence there. Yeah, I hated being at that place as much as anyone, but the things that you are all accusing them of is just your warped view of the world taking over. You probably don't like anyone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »
On 2003-11-15 05:57:00, normaljordan wrote:
I really doubt that the staff at Elan enjoyed running GM's and making our lives difficult.

There is a woman who posts here, who as a GM, had ketchup-filled tampons taped to her.  No, I am sure that staff hated doing that to her, but just knew that it is the optimum solution. Okay.. :roll:

I think they enjoyed.. That's just too creative of punishment.

Also, if you read through some of my past posts, you will see that I have a well-founded theory that they not only enjoyyed it, but chose a lifestyle, where they required, and fed off it.

Paul St. John

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »
When you think about it, 40,000 bucks a year is cheap when you consider that it is year round care.

What's the going rate for year-round abuse these days?

Paul

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 12:39:00 PM »
Why should I tell you who I am? You don't even have a ligit name to identify yourself with. Besides, people on this site go by the name "Nazi" which is so f@*$&ed up. Why do you people believe you are rightfully allowed to know anything? Why don't you just be thankful that someone tried to correct your awful behavior at Elan and recognize that they were only trying to help you?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 12:47:00 PM »
Oh, you must be staff that failed at Elan. Or, you had kids that failed at Elan.

Offline Nazi

• View Profile
    • http://forum.sparklit.com/forum.spark?forumID=3963
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 01:38:00 PM »
There isnt anything about elan were one can be branded as a failure.Elan is nothing but a sick twisted game invented by Joe Ricci and that Gerald Daividson mother fucker.Many of us did not agree with elan's concept, so that makes us failures?I would love to invite the staff to my world, lets see if they come out on top.The Elan staff coul,t make it in the real world so they hide in an old hunting lodge deep in the woods of Maine.Take a look at Joe Ricci, he fled from the city becasue he couldnt hack it, same as Jeffery Gottlieb, Maty, Marc ECT.THese people couldn't hack it in the real world.
Look at us now, some of us own business, make decent money "More then what Elan staff currently make" and live amongst society, we are not isloated deep in the woods unless some of us have the luxury of owning a cabin we get away to form time to time.We can function in the real world and dont have to be scared like the elan staff.
Elan staff are jealous of the students that didnt graduate their program because they are afraid to find out that those students have becaome more successfull then them and make more money.
Lets take Syn for an example, here is a kid that split from elan and now owns wine stores and drives a BMW, not bad for a failed splitee?I myself own business and also did not graduate the elan program.
Imagine yourself placed in an enviroment and being told this is what you have to do in order to graduate, now keep in mind, this enviroment makes no sense and is the stupiest thing you ever heard of?Well that expalins the defination of elan.
lan is slowly being torn apart, thanks to me and all the other former Elanites out there that beleive in the destruction of tearing Elan apart. \"Keep up the great work\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 01:56:00 PM »
On 2003-11-15 09:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Why don't you just be thankful that someone tried to correct your awful behavior at Elan and recognize that they were only trying to help you?"

Because, in most cases, there wasn't any awful behavior to begin with. Just an inability to deal in an effective way with unreasonable, emotionally neglectful and/or abusive control freak adults in our lives. The Program has never been about helping young people better deal with life's challenges. The Program is all about breaking people's will and self esteem and making them willing to suck it up and believe it's all their fault.

The method is extremely effective, too! Not the least bit therapeutic, but very effective. I'll give you an example.

I'm trying to remember the Elan lingo for this. I think it was just "image". In straight, any aspect of our personalities that Staff decided was bad and needed to be washed out of us was called a "druggie image" or a "druggie tie". This could be anything from clothing to your hair to books to a certain very expensive Les Paul guitar that one friend of mine lost to the black hole of "druggie ties".

Not long after I got there, a staffer stood me up and informed me that my name was a tie to my druggie image. So they were going to call me by my given name, instead. Now, no one but strangers had ever called me by my given name. As far back as I can remember, I've always been Ginger to my family, friends, teachers, doctors... that was my name. But I went along with that and just kept my mouth shut on the gut instinct to not ask for any favors or take candy from strangers. It was my little secret and a constant reminder to me in the privacy of my own mind of just how full of shit the whole Program was.

Around 10 years later, though, I took over a house for my dad when he wanted to get out into the country for his retirement. He left a few things laying around, some old books and some papers and nick-nacks that he'd just missed while packing up. One of those little items that I found was a piece of construction paper art that I'd done in Kindergarten. I remembered making it, too. It had been one of my best pieces and I was deeply touched to find that my dad had held onto it for all those years. He never struck me as the sentimental type, ya' know? More of a hard assed WWII vet.

I actually cried tears of joy when I flipped it over and saw, in my own early handwriting, "GINGER". Not "VIRGINIA". See, intellectually, I knew all along that I was right, that I wasn't lying to myself, that they had just been trying to fuck with my mind and that they'd guessed wrong on that one. But emotionally, I still needed PROOF.

Even though it was years later and even though I'd never fully bought into the Program beyond trying my best to avoid an ass kicking till I could either split sucessfully, graduate or come of age, I still needed to see hard evidence that my memory was correct and they had been wrong.

Kid, if/when you discover that remaining in good standing with Elan requires you to choose between something true and valuable about yourself and rejecting it as an image, per Elan, don't lose your grip.

History gives us a kind of chart, and we dare not surrender even a small rushlight in the darkness. The hasty reformer who does not remember the past will find himself condemned to repeat it.
--John Buchan

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline SyN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 04:06:00 PM »
Why do you people believe you are rightfully allowed to know anything? Why don't you just be thankful that someone tried to correct your awful behavior at Elan and recognize that they were only trying to help you?

Looks like staff to me fellow adventure seekers.

What the fuk u think is worth being thankfull about?? Help, no try ABUSING, fuk you helping.  Help us right now and suk on a tail pipe.
A word to the wise is infuriating.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 06:22:00 AM »
Ok, as far as the Ginger vs Virginia story goes, I think that the valuable question to ask yourself is, who really cares? I happen to have two names also- my birth name and my nickname. Now, hardly anyone calls me by my birth name, but if they did, I wouldn't really care, because it's my name! If you're going to base your negative feelings about Elan on a situation as stupid as that, well then you win the argument because I don't have time to discuss such irrelevent bs.

I guess my comments have sparked some controversey- that's fine. I guess we're all entitled to our opinions. I know, deep down, that Elan saved my life. If I had not decided to stop acting like an out of control psych ward escapee, determined to destroy everything in my path, school, family, friends.... then I would have a terrible life. Without school, I'd be flipping burgers, without family and friends, I'd be alone.

I don't think that those who agree with this site are bad people, or stupid people, or anything. Elan was not the enemy, if anything, society is the enemy and Elan just tried to show you a better way to deal with it. Who can blame us for acting out and being angry? This world can suck (at times) and what better way to react than throwing a fit? But when you grow up, you can't throw fits anymore. It's better just to play along and try and come out a winner.....

PS- When it comes to your "image," they have a point too. Although, sometimes they took it a little far. I think in the end, they were only trying to seperate you from what had brought you to the point that you needed to be placed in a therapudic learning facility.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 07:27:00 AM »
Am I not the only one that gets a sick feeling deep in the pit of their stomach when somone says one of these mind fuck programs saved their lives?

To me it just shows how weak people are. Take one person, lock him up, fuck with his mind, strip his/her identity, and forever and ever it impacts the way they look at the world and calls them to action to prevent others from suffering the same fate.

Take the next specimen, and they forever thank their abuser and buy into the "it saved my life" shtick, the only weak excuse these idiots can come up with for institutionaly brainwashing and abusing children.

Fuck, the world is weird.

If you want a voluntary urine sample from me it'll have to be a taste test.
--Bumper Sticker

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 12:16:00 PM »
On 2003-11-17 03:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

PS- When it comes to your "image," they have a point too. Although, sometimes they took it a little far. I think in the end, they were only trying to seperate you from what had brought you to the point that you needed to be placed in a therapudic learning facility.  
"

Well yes, that was the intent. But it wasn't the only result. By insisting that the only name I'd ever used was a "druggie tie", they were effectively trying to seperate me from that part of myself that knew the whole thing was full of shit.

There was nothing about me that brought me to the Program except the shitty luck to have a neurotic mother who needed for all 6 of her children to be broken and helpless.

What about all the kids placed by state services for no reason, other than the promise of room, board, clothing and education? What part of themselves was Elan bent on seperating them from, except the part that remembers that they didn't need behavior mod to begin with?

Time is running out. The Indians' botanical knowledge is disappearing even faster than the plants themselves.

--Richard Schultes, Harvard University educator, authority on medicinal plants

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 09:49:00 PM »

If you want to say that Elan worked for you, fine. But don't try to tell me that there is one damn thing "therapuetic" about abusing kids. How long have you been out of the program?

[ This Message was edited by: Froderik13 on 2003-11-17 18:50 ]

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2003, 12:22:00 AM »
On 2003-11-17 18:49:00, Froderik13 wrote:

"

If you want to say that Elan worked for you,

That's were they were trying.. hmmm.. I odn't know.  What is it they use to say in Daytop, " Trying is the opposite doing"

I see a kid, like the age, of 5.. Let's say he has a teddy bear, and in your opinion, he's just to close to it, ya know.. it.. umm.. gets in the way of his being "normal".

What do you do?

Do you kill the teddy bear?  Do you beat it into a mound of stuffing right before the kid's eyes?

If you did what type of effect do you think it would have on the kid?

He ptrobably wouldn t be very trusting to say the least.

I oculd go on for years.  There is a million ways to tell the story.  It just is what it is.

False-Science being practiced at the expense of the well-being of others.

In Daytop, I let my sanity die to protect my image.  

.. becuase it was MINE!

Offline peacelover420

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 02:38:00 AM »
Totally agree with you.  I am in my late 30s now and I cannot think of a more traumatic time in my life.  I spent time in Juvenille facilities and would much rather spend the day in a cage or a hole than at elan.  At elan we were humiliated and my spirit was crushed.  Thank God I am okay now and a Nurse Practitioner.  I would never recommend a facility like that for anybody.  It is not a place to chane, but a place to feel like garbage 24 hours a day.  Thank God the real world is so much better than that little hell hole in Maine
rue Bushater

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »
I spent a lot of time at elan thinking the same exact thing. I would rather be floating on a defating raft in the middle of the ocean starving and hallucinating that sit through one more gm or vr.  I couldn't stand the amount of screaming and yelling, the smoking VR's, man that shit permanently fucks up your head, Ive been out for 9 years and I still have effects from the rings, and If I am ever in a place where people start shouting I have to leave immediately.  I Mute the tv if people are yelling.  I hope perspective parents read this stuff too, so that they know how fucking terrible that place is.  Oh yeah and to any staff that might read this, Pete Rowe basically forced me into having sex with him When I was overseeing the house as COD durring outside time. I wouldn't call it rape, but I knew I had to and I feared for what would happen to my grad dates and postion if I didn't. I hate that man, and I hate anyman who talks, looks, or acts like him.  I wish I could let his family know he fucks girls there.  I know of at least 2 others and a staff member Tracey who he had sex with.