Author Topic: Provo Canyon -- Educated Commentary  (Read 5152 times)

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
Provo Canyon -- Educated Commentary
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »
This was taken from http://www.beyondbusiness.net

I was incarcerated at PCS from 5/1995 - 1/1996. I have a Haldol story to share. It was a typical day of volleyball in the gym with my unit when I got into a verbal argument with another girl. It never escalated beyond a little smack talking. That however, is enough to warrant a dreaded "Dial 9" and the ensuing trip to observation followed by weeks on investment. Anyway, as soon as I heard (can't remember now b/c I got so many Dial 9's but I think this particular one was Barb or Julie) her radio out for backup I got panicky b/c Dial 9's ALWAYS result in physical pain. So the giant Samoans from Unit 1 and I think Kevin when he still worked there come charging in and I admit I ran to a corner and cowered covering my head. They dragged me around the carpet (carpeted gymnasiums are strange) giving me lovely rug burns, smashed my head into the floor tearing out an earring, gave me leg tingles from digging their knees into my back, and all the other good stuff that goes along with it. I was promptly locked in Observation where I was prepared to stay for a good long while as that is protocol. Of course there's no clock but I estimate I sat in there freezing for about 20 minutes or more. Mind you I'm sitting there calmly freezing in my tiny yellow shorts and tshirt on the concrete rubbing my wounds and trying to find a happy place in my mind. The big, wooden door flings open and all my Dial 9'ers come in followed by the nurse. They pinned me against the wall two on each side while the nurse gave me an injection. No one said a word or answered any of my questions about what they were putting into my body and why. Another 20 minutes or so goes by and Mo's at the door telling me to get to class. Now like I said before I was a pro at Observation having spent much of my time in there so I was very shocked that they only made me sit in there for less than an hour. A more normal time would be anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. So I go back to class, I believe it was Beth's class, and I started feeling really funny. My head flopped over and it was like I couldn't even hold it up. My arms weren't working correctly and I felt like I was paralyzed. I asked Mo what was going on and she took one look at me and told me to go lay down on my bed on my unit. That got me to wondering b/c it's unheard of to lay on your bed during the day hours. That was actually considered "run plans" (even though that makes no sense) and was a major no-no. Afterall, don't want to mess up those hospital corners. Anyway, I'm laying there and this creeping feeling that soon I will not be able to swallow or breathe well is setting in. Mo comes back with the nurse and thank God for shift change b/c it was the nurse who was one of the few decent human beings employed by PCS. Her name was either Betsy or Nancy I think. Funny how the other nurse never bothered to check on me and instead clocked out business as usual. Getting to my point, the nice nurse takes one look at me and calls 911. The ambulance comes and they've got me on a gurney and I'm in the parking lot (the first time I'd been outside in weeks I might add) and all the staff are bargaining to keep me from going to the hospital (guess they'd have to tell my mom then). So the EMT's give me some Cogentin I think it was while I'm laying strapped to the gurney in the parking lot. The shot works wonders and I'm able to control my extremities again so of course there's no need to see if they've damamged me in anyway and it's back inside to start working off some investment points. Weeks later mom comes for a visit and they have conveniently forgotten to notify her of my allergic reaction to their unwarranted chemical restraints. Long story short, they were completely reckless with the medications they doled out during my day and if they'd been any more negligent they could have killed or seriously damaged me physically and not just mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Thanks for reading this is not usually a story I like to tell and everytime I've listed an allergy to Haldol during a doctor visit I get strange looks.
 marjory

Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto.
--Thomas Jefferson

[ This Message was edited by: nite owl on 2004-08-24 20:31 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 11:49:00 PM »
Provo Canyon School has been abusing children since 1974. It was shut down once as a result. Many lives have been shattered. Interestingly one of the leaders of the WWASPS programs got his start at Provo Canyon School. He was director of residential living. Former students who have attended this school have reported forced drugging, punishment with isolation and seclusion, human take downs, human restraints, human restraint in the prone position (with people laying on top of them), kicking, hitting, denial of food, water and use of bathroom, censoring of mail and reading materials, verbal abuse, psychological abuse, brainwashing, emotional abuse. Some describe it as the worst experience of their lives. Injuries that have been reported by survivors include back injuries, broken noses and colar bones, broken arms, knee injuries, bruising and other contusions. This is abuse in the extreme. This place terrorizes kids. Sure there may be a few who go along with the re-programing of their brains. They tend to be proud of their advancement in the PCS levels - that are so similar to the levels at the most abusive WWASPS programs. I've never been in a problem-teen center. I've just been doing some research and I know someone who went to this school. I've read many comments that have been made on several web-sites. It is so unbelievable that this abuse continues.  Josh

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »
Hope to add a bit to the mix - I was employed at PCS some yrs ago - as a therapist.  I think I can add some to both sides this - but in a helpful way.  i am not a proponent of PCS but didn't see it in a black and white.

However - I do agree with some much most, a part .... na much/most of what's being posted.  My experience was and feedback has been that the 'structure' was bad news yet there were some things learned through the clouds.   and some that I have kept in touch with over the years felt it helped.  (baby/bathwater) anyway - I just stumbled upon this site - and think I might shed some 'light' - at least from my end.  I'll be back when I've got a bit more time.

also - its been ~20yrs so I don't know if there's been any morphing - I'm sure I will find out here.  back in a breather.  Seems to me the hard part will be to know where to begin.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »
Welcome! If you choose to be anonymous, would you consider picking a name to sign your post with so we know when you're posting.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »
On 2004-09-07 17:24:00, Deborah wrote:

"

Welcome! If you choose to be anonymous, would you consider picking a name to sign your post with so we know when you're posting.

"

Indeed. I like to keep anon posting open so that people don't have to do a lot of research before deciding to jump in. But, in practical terms, there's only one difference as regards your privacy between anon posting and non anon posting. If you post anon, no one but me (maybe, depending on how you access the net) can seperate your posts from other anon posts. Either way, I don't give up that information.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
-- William James

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
On 2004-08-16 20:26:00, Anonymous wrote:

I heard dial nine in my sleep for years after leaving there

What's dial nine?

...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..

--Samuel Adams

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline no one

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2004, 12:34:00 AM »
well - this be 'former therapist' at PCS - but still in the psychology business - but in another part of the "woods'.  I am actually very curious on the one hand and and willing to contribute on the other  - I must say though (as I alluded to earlier post) I don't see all of this in black and white.

I will be as 'candid' as possible - as I think that is needed - always did.  I'm not on any witch hunt, nor am I prone to cover up the various 'elements' of PCS.  I also don't claim any inside track on this whole deal - as I mentioned the PCS I worked at may ... 'may' ...  be different than after I left.

What I can offer is some of my experiences, some of my perceptions and some of - whatever else - in the hope that any of that might help. Help - multidefinitional I think, but ...

Probably some validation of, and some digression  from some opinions/statements I've read so far.  ... So lets start with that and see where this leads.

Hope I can contribute somehow

Offline no one

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
hadn't taken time to view very many posts here - but - as an 'insider'  - I'm really not sure where to start.  I may have jumped into a deal that is a no win thing for me.  I will give it a go - and hope that what I might add will be worth everyone's time and consideration.  I've long wondered if there was an internet forum addressing this - but ... we'll see.  Gotta say tho - I don't agree with everything I've read here, but do concur with -- I'm not sure how much yet - ...  Hope it will be a 'reasonable exchange'

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »
My daughter suffered greatly at the hands of staff as a patient suffering from severe depression.  Against our written request she was restrained, isolated and medicated by force with an injection of Haldol. Many others have had similar experiences.  According to her a "dial 9" is considered an emergency.  When this is called all available staff in the area respond to humanly restrain a child and place them in observation until they "cool down."  Unfortunately this "cool down" time often exceeds the limit set by Utah Core Rules which is no longer than 4 hours - and not during normal sleeping hours.  PCS staff frequently circumvent and openly defy state law.  I have a document where isolation was recorded - on this single document there were four violations of State law.  
The methods used at PCS are not approved by professional organizations. Yet they continue in open defiance of State and Federal law.  Why?  To find this answere one must untangle a web of scandal that involves the courts that place some children at PCS, the local police, the District Attorney, CPS and the Utah State Legislature.  There is so much political coruption involved in this industry - it just reaks - it truly does.....

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys

--P.J. O'Rourke

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline no one

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »
don't think I can help here ...

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »
Is Robert Linchfield at all linked to Provo, if so please explain here, I need to know for a report thing.
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
On 2004-09-07 19:07:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2004-08-16 20:26:00, Anonymous wrote:

I heard dial nine in my sleep for years after leaving there

What's dial nine?

...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..

--Samuel Adams

"

Diall 9 is a radio code that staff use, it is a call for all available staff to come to the area taht they need assistance because the student is out of control, hurting themselves or others. Most times though, a dial 9 is called because a student is yelling back at a staff, refuses to take another chair, or refuses to sit chair structure, I was dial 9'd once because I refused to eat teh peas in my salad cause they make me barf and the staff was power trippin'
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »
Robert Linchfield, as well as other WWASPies, used to work at Provo back in the 70's. It was shut down because of its abusive practices, and has re-opened in the 1990's (I think). I think the ISAC website has a little more info about the Linchfield-Provo connection.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2004, 04:02:00 AM »
You may find this information at http://www.isaccorp.org or contact them at [email protected].

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2004, 04:11:00 AM »