Author Topic: De Sisto's Controversial Leader Dies  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
De Sisto's Controversial Leader Dies
« on: November 03, 2003, 09:17:00 PM »
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/307/o ... h%2B.shtml

A. Michael DeSisto, founder of school for troubled youth
By Emma Stickgold, Globe Correspondent, 11/3/2003

About 25 years ago, A. Michael DeSisto created a place where some of the nation's most troubled youth would be turned into success stories.

Now located on 275 rural acres in Stockbridge, the DeSisto School offers rigorous therapy programs to work with troubled students, some of whom begin attending just after their release from jail.

On Saturday, the school's controversial founder died from a cerebral hemorrhage after undergoing a kidney transplant at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. He was 64 and lived on the campus with his wife, Margie Bullock.

Mr. DeSisto, a Boston native, ''was not philosophizing about education and then sending people to go do his work,'' said Adam Mastoon, a teacher at the school. ''He was in the trenches working with kids, teaching them, opening their eyes to new things, and helping them revision their lives into new and better ways.''

The boarding school, which vows that no student will be expelled, was both loved and reviled for its methods of handling difficult students. The school does not punish students who step out of line, Mr. DeSisto told the Globe in a 1981 interview. Instead, they face ''hours,'' which often means manual labor on the school's farm.

''We tell them they'll never be expelled,'' he said. ''We say they can't do anything horrible enough to make us abandon them. Of course, they are going to test us.''

In addition to twice-daily dorm meetings to discuss student behavior and emotions, weekly group therapy, as well as regularly scheduled parent-to-student therapy, are required in addition to regular classes.

''We try to `scare them nice,' to let them know that they can stretch to do things that they've never done before, to live nicely, to take care of themselves and accentuate the positive things they do,'' Mr. DeSisto said in 1986.

One of the more controversial elements of the school's methodology was the practice of forcing some students who break the rules to face a wall until they confess to their wrongdoing. Until recently, the transgressors were not permitted to eat until they admitted to their misdeeds. Refusal to face the wall often resulted in physical restraint.

''These are acting-out kids,'' Mr. DeSisto said. ''What we do is very, very benign. You're not going to `corner' someone unless they've really been a pain in the neck.''

Envisioning a national chain, he also started a DeSisto School in Howey in the Hills, Fla., that includes a two-year college.

Although some have called the DeSisto School a ''therapeutic boot camp,'' Mr. DeSisto insisted the description was too harsh.

''You're not supposed to want to be there,'' he said in a 1983 Globe story. However, he added, ''The more they're here, the more they want to be. They begin to experience feelings they never had in their lives. It's scary.''

Mr. DeSisto was always on call, Mastoon said.

''He worked 168 hours a week,'' Mastoon said, adding that Mr. DeSisto's cellphone rang ''literally 100 times a day,'' with calls from students, parents, and staff.

Mastoon said Mr. DeSisto was considered by many at the school to be an effective leader because he showed students how he had dealt with his own problems to demonstrate what they themselves could do. After joining Overeaters Anonymous, Mr. DeSisto would often talk to students about the discipline it took to lose 200 pounds.

He admitted that not everyone admired him.

''It depends on where the kids are at a particular time,'' he said. ''Some like me, some hate me. Hating is also a form of liking. It doesn't matter to me. I don't want to sound callous, but if a kid needs to be angry at me, it's part of my responsibility.''

The school's unusual methods occasionally brought lawsuits, and it was investigated by the state Department of Social Services, which upheld a neglect complaint in 1996 against the school. Last year a Suffolk Superior Court judge ordered the school to obtain licensing from the state, in addition to the license it held from the local school didstrict.

In the early 1990s, Mr. DeSisto published the book ''Decoding Your Teenager: How to Understand Each Other During the Turbulent Years.'' In it, he wrote, ''A real talking relationship with a teenager always begins with caring.''

Mr. DeSisto grew up in West Roxbury and earned a bachelor's degree from Stonehill College in 1962. He was director of the Lake Grove School on Long Island for 11 years before he was dismissed and created his own school.

In addition to his wife, Mr. DeSisto leaves a sister, Jacque; and many nieces and nephews.

A memorial service is being planned.

© Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 10:08:00 PM »
"Envisioning a national chain, he also started a DeSisto School in Howey in the Hills, Fla., that includes a two-year college. "

Not that explains a lot, at least to me! I think my sister in law was the first in the neighborhood to go into The Seed. I knew she'd been at a boarding school and thought it was called Howey in the Hills. Never put it together till just not that this had been anything but a posh resort for spoiled rich kids.

Given the choice between dancing pigs and security, people will choose dancing pigs every time.
-- Ed Felton (quoted in www-security about Active-X)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Jeff_Berryman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 06:45:00 PM »
When I was going to the University of Florida I used to drive past their Florida location all the time.  I believe it's out of business now.  The locals were terrified of the place.  I talked to people who were under the impression that every kid there had committed at least one murder and all would be adjudged insane and packed off to state hospitals when they turned 21.  I presume that this was a way to assure that runnaways would not be offered assistence.  From what I've heard about DeSisto's other location, I sincerely hope that this program does not long survive its founder.
hen I mount my horse, ALL THE WINDMILLS IN SPAIN TREMBLE!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
A. Michael DeSisto, 64, Head Of School for Troubled Students
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »
Came across another Desisto obituary whilst doing other research; thought it might well belong here...

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

The New York Times
A. Michael DeSisto, 64, Head Of School for Troubled Students
By ANITA GATES
Published: November 13, 2003

A. Michael DeSisto, founder and headmaster of the innovative DeSisto School in Stockbridge, Mass., which specializes in helping troubled adolescents through unusual programs that include the culinary and performing arts, died on Nov. 1 in Boston. He was 64 and lived on the school's campus.

The cause was a cerebral hemorrhage following kidney transplant surgery, school officials said.

Mr. DeSisto was a psychotherapist as well as an educator. For 11 years he was director of the Lake Grove School on Long Island. Then, in 1978, with financing from students' parents, he went out on his own, founding the DeSisto School in the Berkshires.

Officially described as a therapeutic boarding school, it combines a general academic college-preparatory program with individual, group and family psychotherapy. Many students enter the school straight from drug rehabilitation or brushes with the law.

A stage musical, ''Inappropriate,'' written by Mr. DeSisto, Lonnie McNeil and Michael Sottile and performed by the school's student theater company, had an Off Broadway run in 1999 and 2000. The show, based partly on teenagers' journals, included songs about sexual abuse, drug use, relationships with parents and other concerns of adolescents.

His book for parents, ''Decoding Your Teenager: How to Understand Each Other During the Turbulent Years,'' was published in 1991.

Mr. DeSisto's methods were praised by some and criticized by others. The system did not allow for the possibility of giving up on a student. ''We tell them they'll never be expelled,'' Mr. DeSisto told The Boston Globe in 1981. ''We say they can't do anything horrible enough to make us abandon them. Of course they are going to test us.''

Born and reared in Boston, Mr. DeSisto attended St. John's Seminary there and received a bachelor's degree from Stonehill College in North Easton, Mass.

He is survived by his wife, Margie Charles Bullock, and by a sister, Jacqueline DeSisto of Stockbridge.

A version of this obituary; biography appeared in print on November 13, 2003, on page B8 of the New York edition.

© Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company
-------------- • -------------- • --------------