Author Topic: anybody remember Sunday?  (Read 5013 times)

Offline shaneunc

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« on: May 01, 2002, 07:45:00 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:43:40 PM by shaneunc »

Offline jpearce75

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 08:41:00 PM »
I dont know about anywhere else, but in Orlando every other weekend we went to long distance host homes, like for instance I lived in Jacksonville until my mother moved down to orlando.  Anyways so every other weekend we stayed in other cities and mostly just ate a bunch of junk food, played games, talked about feelings, etc.  Couldn't do much besides that though unless you were on a higher phase and didnt have to many 1st phasers, then you could go outside, whoopie.

On the other weekends I know we had sundays off, and I cant remember if we had to come in on saturdays for like 6 hours or so, but I believe so.  Pretty much there wasn't much to do.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, its kinda hard to remember.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 02:08:00 AM »
Nintendo???? Are you serious?????? When and where were you? I have never been into video games but I would have played with a piece of string in that place. I am not even sure if Nintendo was around when I was in. Was Nintendo around in 89? I had an apple 2C remember them? :grin:
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 11:45:00 AM »
We werent allowed ANY TV, no nintendo, no nothing....we couldnt even hear the TV until 3rd phase.  

On Sundays, I hated it because unless I woke up at 6 in the morning, and got "un-keyed" from the room early....I never got a moment to myself as an oldcomer.  I was on third phase but my host sister was a fifth phaser, so she was always gone on days off.  I was left with 4-5 newcomers all by myself, sometimes 2-3 of them were non-compliant so they gave me hell all day long.  I almost preferred being at the building where I wasnt in charge of so many people all at once.  My host sister was a spiteful bitch, so even when she came home she wouldnt help me do anything.  She threatened me continually with her superior standing.  Towards the end of my program I was physically exhausted just from worrying about other people.  Refreshers were a God-send.  I almost wished I would get ripped for something during Open Meeting Rap on Friday so that I could spend the weekend on a Set-Back.  That meant better food and no shitty host sister and newcomers for 2-3 days.

I was so busy adhereing to the damn rules of daily straight life that I couldnt even begin to think about "therapy".

I ran twice from Straight...both times were on the first day of school after reaching third phase.  I was caught and started over the first time, so I worked my way back up and then ran again.  What was funny was I had no intention of running until the very moment that I did it.  I fully intended to try and graduate the second time around.  I took one step out of my first period class room and never looked back.  I lived on the streets in an unfamiliar town for a whole month before calling my parents.  It was said that Straight made the parents pay all the fees over from the beginning if the client was out for more than 31 days.  So I waited.....

Straight said I would die if I left....well I left, and because of the circumstances of leaving I came closer to death from being in Straight than probably any situation I had or would ever encounter that involved using drugs or alcohol.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 03:29:00 PM »
Yeah....one day right before I was going to ask for 4th phase, we had a 3rd and 4th phase rap and boy howdy was it ever a rip rap.  I was actually on the Positive Credit list, and a "favorite" to make 4th phase.  They passed around paper and pencils for us all to come out with all our FOS stuff.  Of course I wracked my brain for something, just to make sure I was 100% "honest".....well, I had accepted clean-up responsibilities that morning and later on remebered that I wasnt allowed to do it because I had already done them that week....well, how easy is it to walk up to staff and say, oh yeah...I forgot, I cant do it!  Yeah, right....

So, I wrote on my FOS paper that I had lied to staff about cleanup...which in reality, was no lie...just a mistake.  Aw man.... by the end of that rap I was put on a three to 4 day refresher, admitted to talking to boys at school, being unaware, they named it...I had done it.  I admitted to everything they accused me of.  And when I copped attitude while admitting it...I caught even more hell...needless to say, I never made 4th phase.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline jpearce75

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2002, 03:37:00 PM »
Yeah those long ass rides out of town sucked.  By the way I am not Jennifer, my name is Jeremy.  When I was on fifth phase I would let people go to the bathroom before we all left, unless you had the same person ask every 30 minutes, which usually were the misbehaviors.  Our counselors would threaten to punish us with writing these essays anywhere from 500 words to 10,000 words just because we weren't quiet enough. If you didn't get them done by the time you came back in then they would double the amount each day.  That was one of the worst punishments because you couldn't sleep all night sometimes just to get them done.  Did they do that at the other straights to you guys?

Offline Diane B

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2002, 10:26:00 PM »
In Va when I was in there was no says off on sunday we were allowed to go in at 2 and leave at 9.  That bit Saturdays were the worst because even though we did not leave the building til at least midnight on fridays we had to be in group at 9 on sat. till 9 that night. Saturdays also sucked because there were alot more oldcomers in the building because there was no school.  I heard that at least one straight had a teacher and first phasers were allowed a couple hours of school, not when I was in but I did hear that was part of the reason for shutting down because it is a l aw for children to be taught.  

P.S no nintendo games at all when I was in hell, we probably would have got set back for looking at a tv that was off!!

Diane

Offline bettypills

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2002, 12:30:00 AM »
wow, my head is spinning! Days off? NINTENDO? huh? were you people in some kind of hippie commune or something? haha. HA.
here in Cinci. I think Sundays were "short" days, yeah, short, you went in at noon, I think.

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2002, 04:21:00 PM »
When I was in Straight we were in 7 days a week.  12+ hours/day except on Sundays when we were allowed to be in at 12pm.  Even one hour /day in straight sucked.

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2002, 12:15:00 AM »
We never had to write any reports Thank God and we had Sundays off. We got to watch a PG movie and I almost always I had to sit with my back to the TV because I was a misb. So I would sit there and listen to the movie so my oldcomer could be aware of me but I could not see the movie. I really could not have gave a shit at that point. The worst was eating, I would be soooo hungry and they would try and make me ask 50 times to pick up a fork, I would not do it fuck them! So I was starving half the time and still managed to gain weight (go figure) As for admiting up to shit I did not do I made up the longest list of bullshit when I finally decided I was not getting out unless I played the game. My list was so full of stuff complete with girl girl relationships and the whole nine. I made it to third phase though eventually. Remeber how we had to talk about something in the past and express emotions ect.. I deserve an Emmy for writing and starring in some of the weirdest stories about my life that never happened. I would keep my eyes wide open to burn the tears out of them. Still sometimes my shit didn't fly and they would confront me for not being real. I wish I had the balls to tell them I had made it all up. I was 14 I had like no stories to tell the group. What did they want from me? Now I could go back and cry my ass off about Straight that brings emotion. Oh by the way I was in Boston Straight 89-91 I guess we were the Virginia split off or something. They can all kiss my ass! take care all, kady
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2002, 04:45:00 PM »
Sundays at Plymouth wern't too bad.
We would have their version of "church" and we got to be in the building at 9 a.m. (but it sucked for us newcomers and oldcomers who had a 3 or 4 hour drive back to the building after being off on Saturdays).
Anyway, we would start with prayer and passages from the bible.. 12 step rap, oldcomer/newcomer rap, girls/guys rap, afternoon rap.. sometimes excersizing, but not usually.
Then we would go into night rap and get out by 8 p.m. or so.
I was only allowed outside twice for 15 minutes for a fire drill and another 1/2 an hour for rap .. I actually got sunburned only being out there for 1/2 an hour! But it was great to have rap out in the parking lot for those brief few minutes because I didn't get fresh air for a long assed time
usan Minns

Offline Diane B

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2002, 11:24:00 PM »
Fire drills...never had them, In Springfield
in 85-86 there had to be at least 450 kids there could you imagine if the place really would of caught on fire? (which I am surprised that it didn't seeing that some of these staff memebers came straight from hell!!} There would have been newcomers running everywhere, I sure would of.

Diane

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2002, 02:22:00 PM »
We only had 2 fire drills during the 7 months I was there.. I guess it was because of the fact that the fire marshall showed up a few times and said that they need to abide by state law.
I guess this might be the only state law they abided by ??
usan Minns

Offline jpearce75

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2002, 03:08:00 PM »
I was reading about having fire drills and it got me thinking about how everyones wishes almost came true one weekend.  It was one of thoses out of town weekends when you stay with a host home for those parents that lived a few hours away.  Anyway a misbehavior copped out previous to this.  Well he was gone for a couple of weeks and while he was away and we were out of town he got on the roof of the warehouse and dropped oily rags in the ceiling on one side and lit them on fire.  Some of the industrial ceiling tiles caught on fire and dropped onto the carpet.  When we get back there was some fire damage, but not enough to keep Straight closed.  I remember him getting caught a little while later by the cops and brought back to Straight, thats when we found out for sure that it was him.  That guy had guts, I just wished that his plan would have worked out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anybody remember Sunday?
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2002, 04:39:00 AM »
Sundays off?!? Nitendo vid games?!? Movies below 3rd phase?!? You buncha damned country clubbers!