Author Topic: Where did "the game" come from ?  (Read 12004 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Where did "the game" come from ?
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »
I am trying to piece it all together...(as always)...and am currently wondering how Chuck Dederich came up with the game.  Was it something he came up with on his own or was he somehow influenced by what the North Koreans were doing to captured U.N. prisoners during the Korean war ?  What is the connection ??  Was Dederich a vet or did he know any returning vets who told him of their experience ??  How did this idea travel from N. Korea to southern CA ??

Thankyou.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Where did "the game" come from ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
Personally, I think Synanon's "The Game" was based in part on the TC-oriented confrontative group therapy practiced in an increasing number of U.S. prisons since shortly after World War II. Dedereich was an ex-con, was he not?

One has to wonder at the convenience of placing blame of such coercive excess on the Communist North Koreans, in the 1950s, when the North Koreans were certainly not the first to practice such diabolical methodology. This was something the U.S. government was quite aware of.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »
Hm.  Yes I think he was in jail but I don't know the details. I'll look into that.  Thankyou Ursus.

And yes, one does wonder...

...many things...what the roots of "the game" are, among them.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
Here is some info, a few sites that helped me out. Synanon. I believe the origins came from his relations with Dr. Dan Casriel and his own genius. Chuck was a extremely intelligent man. He just managed to never get the help he needed to tame his demons.
Now, where did Dr. Casriel get his opinions and methods is explained better in the wiki site below. Inculcated and Setko are educated more so on Dr.Casriel.

http://www.directionjournal.org/article/?1272
The Rise and Fall of Synanon: A California Utopia
Reviewed by Richard Kyle
Rod Janzen
(Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001), 300 pp

(excerpt from the article)

As indicated by the book’s title, Synanon was not a static movement. Rather, it experienced many changes, which the author recounts. Started as a self-help organization for alcoholics and drug abusers by Chuck Dederich, an alcoholic with a charismatic personality, the movement began under inauspicious circumstances and through the years gained and lost 25,000 members. Central to Synanon’s program—and close to achieving a sacramental status—were encounter sessions known as “the Game.” The Game consisted of confrontational techniques designed to strip down a person’s defense mechanisms and uncover the real person. According to Janzen, Dederich based his game on Emerson’s essay, “Self-Reliance.” Participants were encouraged to be brutally honest, spouting “indictments” to attack hypocrisy and fraud as their fellow members “ran their stories.”

Emerson's essay translated: http://www.youmeworks.com/self_reliance_translated.html

http://www.rickross.com/reference/synanon/synanon9.html
The History of Synanon and Charles Dederich
August 2, 2008
By Paul Morantz

(excerpt from article)

Dederich became an AA favorite speaker and went to an AA meeting every day. He read Emerson’s "Self Reliance" and using it as a bible he quit his job to devout full time to cleaning up other Alcoholics. He existed on a $35 unemployment check and charity from others. He volunteered for a Dr. Keith Ditman LSD experiment and felt he had a cathartic break through and now understood the world and that good and bad were the same. He studied on his own in a library and his AA speeches changed from typical religious overtones to a psychological/philosophy slant. He gathered his own following in AA and after a time of meetings at apartments, they rented a small store in seedy Venice. The original name was The Tender Loving Care Club. They played the "game" in which anyone was allowed to say anything, true or not, to someone to cause an effect. Only the threat of violence was prohibited. It was a game because one being gamed could turn the game on another. They survived by begging stale food from catering trucks, hookers doing tricks and donations. For a shower, a hose ran through a window (Casriel, So Fair a House, Yablonski, The Tunnel Back: Guy Endore, Synanon; Charles Dederich tapes on history of Synanon).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Harold_Casriel
Dr. Dan Casriel, So Fair a House, Yablonski, The Tunnel Back: Guy Endore, Synanon; Charles Dederich tapes on history of Synanon.

(excerpt from Casriel wiki)

In the winter of 1953 Casriel began private practice as a psychiatrist in New York City. Shortly thereafter he was appointed as a psychiatric consultant to the Metropolitan Hospital in East Harlem and the Court of Special Sessions in Manhattan where he became active in the treatment drug addicts.
In July 1962 Casriel visited the famous Synanon therapeutic community on the US East coast. So impressed with what he saw there, he moved into the community for a “closer look” and wrote a book about the experience ( "So Fair A House: The story of Synanon"). In February 1963, Casriel gave $2000 to seven members of Synanon to start a community on the West Coast. The result was a house on Greens Farm Road, Westport, Connecticut directed by Jack Hurst, former president of Synanon in Santa Monica [4]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:01:48 PM by heretik »

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »
...O...well what about AA ??  What was an AA meeting like before WW2 ??  Because Chuck had been in AA.  I've been to a few meetings in my day so I know it as a watered down, heavily diluted game.  Straight was a much harder game but it was nowhere near as bad as the Chinese brainwash prisons of the 50s and yet when I red the accounts of people who were actually kept captive and brainwashed by the Chinese many visions of $tr8 were on me and I felt close to what I was reading, that it was almost mine. But the Chinese were even far more brutal than $tr8.  Of course we were much younger.  

I have the book about Synanon, the Tunnel Back, right here too.  I guess I'll have to read that as well. I guess there's a lot to read.  :suicide:  :tup: ... :rofl: ... :poison:  :peace:    . :clown: ...  :-

The Game.

The Seed.

How fundamental.

I wonder about the evolution of these social patterns.  

I wonder when the U.S. government co-opted "the game".  I wonder if Mao Tse Tung was a recovering alcoholic ??  :roflmao:  Maybe he was.  I don't know. I wonder how all these separate attempts at mind control coalesced into $tr8 Inc.

By the way to govern is to control.  Mental is of the mind.  Government means mind control.

Your intuition is righteous.   O0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
In that History of Synanon and Charles Dederiech link it says Dederiech acknowledged that his program was brainwashing as described by Lifton, but doesn't say that it came from there.  Maybe Dederiech was just a real hardcore AA member who took it to the next level the same way the Matrix House came out of the Lighthouse at the Narco Farm, and because he was concerned with narcotics addicts and not so much alcoholics, he modified his AA experience into a more hard core version and it became known as Synanon, completely independently from anything going on in China.

Strangely enough Dederiech also indicated that "the game" is based on Emersons "Self-Reliance" essay(which I'll have to re-read now too)  Yeah, I wonder...in what sense ??  

Emerson's ideals might have been the aim.

Dedereich was heavily influenced by an LSD experience and was determined to achieve the same level of insight without the assistance of the chemical.  He would reach the same level of conscious awareness that he had experienced on LSD through environmental manipulation.

I wonder how much self awareness Dedereich really had and what part of his intentions were good, if any, and what part was a self aware pre-meditated criminal act an that kind a thing.

Synanon is a radical splinter off a AA.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
Quote from: "starry-eyed pirate"
In that History of Synanon and Charles Dederiech link it says Dederiech acknowledged that his program was brainwashing as described by Lifton, but doesn't say that it came from there.  Maybe Dederiech was just a real hardcore AA member who took it to the next level the same way the Matrix House came out of the Lighthouse at the Narco Farm, and because he was concerned with narcotics addicts and not so much alcoholics, he modified his AA experience into a more hard core version and it became known as Synanon, completely independently from anything going on in China.  Yeah, I wonder...

I wonder how much self awareness Dedereich really had and what part of his intentions were good, if any, and what part was a self aware pre-meditated criminal act an that kind a thing.

Synanon is a splinter off a AA.

I wonder how much influence AA, Casriel and LSD had on Chucky boy.  :rofl:
Chuck was looking for adulation and power. This is what I am getting out of it.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
Paul Morantz, the lawyer who sued Synanon and was nearly killed when members of Synanon put a de-rattled-rattle snake in his mailbox indicates that Dedereich was already a committed member of AA when he volunteered for a controlled LSD experiment with a one Dr. Keith Ditman, whose interest was in the mystical qualities of LSD.  Dedereich's vision of Synanon came to him during the LSD experiment. The vision came to him under the primary influence of AA and the secondary influence of LSD.  So Synanon is AA on Acid...for narcotics addicts...originally.

And that is where the game came from.

Hm.

thanks for the interesting links heretik.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:57:53 AM »
If awareness is a gift, where can I return it? I dont want it ,cant use it and would rather have the cash. Am I gonna need the reciept? :roflmao:
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 01:12:01 AM »
Quote from: "seamus"
If awareness is a gift, where can I return it? I dont want it ,cant use it and would rather have the cash. Am I gonna need the reciept? :roflmao:

You can't return it, but you can repackage it and regift it.
Spread the love.
?©?€~¥@

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 02:35:03 AM »
Paul Morantz, the lawyer who sued Synanon and was nearly killed when members of Synanon put a de-rattled-rattle snake in his mailbox indicates that Dedereich was already a committed member of AA when he volunteered for a controlled LSD experiment with a one Dr. Keith Ditman, whose interest was in the mystical qualities of LSD.  Dedereich's vision of Synanon came to him during the LSD experiment. The vision came to him under the primary influence of AA and the secondary influence of LSD.  So Synanon is AA on Acid...for narcotics addicts...originally.

And that is where the game came from.

Hm.

thanks for the interesting links heretik.

:roflmao: You can't make this shit up.
I am always at your service pirate.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 11:04:52 AM »
Jazz great Joe Pass credits synanon for saving his life. He recorded this tune for them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ttER_M1QdY
?©?€~¥@

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Sipping booze with Chairman Mao
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »
. I wonder if Mao Tse Tung was a recovering alcoholic ??  :roflmao:  

:dose:  :rofl:

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
CEDU = Charles E. Dederich University.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 04:19:01 PM »
startin to figure something out here,about where the biggest damage got done to me. the other night i watched the entire cedu documentary, and it dawned on me....even though I was in straight not cedu.

The whole IDEA that we ARE our behavior, like when somebody tells you what a piece of shit you are ,for doing something they disliked. Is seriously damaging, and has really led me down a fucked up path.Ah yes the root of self loathing . Its funny,the worst thing men do to themselves,imho is when so much of our identity,self esteem and self opinion is based mostly on what we do. Like how we say bob the plumber, or because i failed at something, im a failure. Theres gotta be some other less damaging way of looking at it. But THE GAME, raps, profeets....or what ever the nom du jour is...It got ingrained in me that I am my behaviour. Now im stuck with the daunting task of figuring out a way past it.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad