Author Topic: Ridge Creek "School" - Serious Safety Issues/ORS Violation  (Read 57768 times)

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Re: Ridge Creek School - Serious Safety Issues/ORS Violation
« Reply #435 on: December 31, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »
So why do you think the staff at RC held off on doing that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 31, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
Quote from: "RobertBruce"
So why do you think the staff at RC held off on doing that?

I was not aware that they did hold off.
 Do you have a link?  Maybe they held off because they did not have the info, we would have to look at the report where it says that they held off in calling.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 31, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »
The following is taken from the ORS report:
1) Review on 11/23/2010 at 8:00 am of intake report, submitted on 11/8/2010, revealed that on
11/4/2010 at 10:00am, Resident #1 reported to staff that on 10/29/10 Resident #2 got into his/her
bed and performed a sexual act on him/her. This report stated that Resident #1 said Resident #2
threatened him/her if he/she told anyone.
2) During interview with Staff A on 11/23/2010 at 3:15 pm, he/she stated that this incident was
reported outside the 24 hours requirement because he/she didn't think the incident was
reportable until after the police were involved.

What I am reading is that the incident occurred on 10/29/2010.
Resident #1 reported it to staff on  11/4/2010 (10:00am) and RCS submitted the report on 11/8/2010.
Staff “A” indicated that she/he didn’t believe they were required to submit the report until after the police were involved, which means RCS probably called the police after they were notified on 11/4/2010 at 10:00 am and they submitted the report after that.

So I don’t see where it says they delayed in calling the police.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 01, 2011, 04:14:29 AM »
I disagree. The report says the 'counselor' didn't know it was reportable until 'after the police were involved'. Reportable to whom?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 01, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »
I disagree. The report says the 'counselor' didn't know it was reportable until 'after the police were involved'. Reportable to whom?

Reportable to DHS.  Whenever there is an incident at the school, RCS is required to fill out an IIIF (incident intake information form) within 24 hours and send it to their office of Regulatory services.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 01, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree. Given their already proven track record of not reporting incidents as required my thinking is they didn't tell the police or ORS and just attempted to sweep it under the rug. It only came out afterwards at which point they then played catch up. So then at this point neither one of us can prove our case we'll have to move forward with the understanding that RC didn't report safety issues and criminal acts as they are required.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 01, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree. Given their already proven track record of not reporting incidents as required my thinking is they didn't tell the police or ORS and just attempted to sweep it under the rug. It only came out afterwards at which point they then played catch up. So then at this point neither one of us can prove our case we'll have to move forward with the understanding that RC didn't report safety issues and criminal acts as they are required.

That was very nicely put, for you, Robert.  I am going to have to stick with the ORS's report with the staff and students' interviews which showed that the police were called after the students notified the staff and RCS failed to then report the incident to the ORS within the 24 hour window, which is why RCS was written up.

Thank you for being civil in this discussion.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 02, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
No problem. Again, we'll have to agree to disagree, but that isn't the end of the world.

Moving forward though I think the next question is why does this sort of thing keep happening over there? Why is there no screening process for dangerous kids, and where is night security?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 02, 2011, 02:35:40 PM »
No problem. Again, we'll have to agree to disagree, but that isn't the end of the world.

Moving forward though I think the next question is why does this sort of thing keep happening over there? Why is there no screening process for dangerous kids, and where is night security?

I think that RCS is well aware of the types of kids they are accepting into their program.  Many of these kids have emotional problems based on the ORS reports and should be receiving more support in the evening hours.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
For the insane amount of money parents are already paying, shouldn't that level of security already exists?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 04, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
For the insane amount of money parents are already paying, shouldn't that level of security already exists?

I dont know what the schools costs and expenses are, so I could not answer that.  The schools charge about $150/day.  A hospital non critical stay is $1,000 to 2,000 per day.  So relatively speaking these schools are fairly inexpensive.  Hazeldon (rehab) in Minnesota can cost upwards of $1,000 a day.

But I do agree that they need to figure out how to keep these kids safe and get some night staff in even if it means passing off the cost to the parents.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 05, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »
I dont know what the schools costs and expenses are, so I could not answer that. The schools charge about $150/day. A hospital non critical stay is $1,000 to 2,000 per day. So relatively speaking these schools are fairly inexpensive. Hazeldon (rehab) in Minnesota can cost upwards of $1,000 a day.

The school actually charges $170 a day with a $5,300.00 per month tuition. If you consider that inexpensive then I would question your understanding of basic financies. A year tuition at RC would come to $63,600.00 not including incidentals. Incidentally a year at Harvard would run you about half of that, and you'd benefit far more and not be abused.

I'd be interested in seeing some source citing your claim of of $1,000-$2,000 per day for a non critical stay at a hospital. Keep in mind even if that is true, factor how much a person is paying out of pocket expensive once their medical insurance kicks in.

Hazeldon is very expensive, however it's much more effective, much less abusive, isn't coerced, and doesn't last nearly as long and therefore doesn't cost as much as RC.

But I do agree that they need to figure out how to keep these kids safe and get some night staff in even if it means passing off the cost to the parents.

What if instead of passing it off to parents, Buchi took a slightly smaller cut? I can tell you first hand from the year I spent locked up in HLA, that very little is actually spent on the kids. The place is a dump and every corner that can be cut is.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 05, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »
The school actually charges $170 a day with a $5,300.00 per month tuition. If you consider that inexpensive then I would question your understanding of basic financies. A year tuition at RC would come to $63,600.00 not including incidentals. Incidentally a year at Harvard would run you about half of that, and you'd benefit far more and not be abused.

It is relatively inexpensive compared to what a hospital charges per day.

Harvard will run you about $50,000 which works out to be $5,500 a month (considering a child goes for about 9 months a year.) Link

I'd be interested in seeing some source citing your claim of of $1,000-$2,000 per day for a non critical stay at a hospital. Keep in mind even if that is true, factor how much a person is paying out of pocket expensive once their medical insurance kicks in.

Businesses need to rely on a set income per person whether or not it is out of pocket or if insurance pays them.  They really dont care where the money comes from.

Here are the results of some random searches for average costs of hospital stays per day:  I didnt differentiate between critical and non-critical

$3,500 Link

$1,000 Link
$4,300 Link

Hazeldon is very expensive, however it's much more effective, much less abusive, isn't coerced, and doesn't last nearly as long and therefore doesn't cost as much as RC.

I had a relative in Hazeldon for over a year.  The first month or so was close to a $1,000 a day and then after stabilization it drops down to maybe half that. (out of pocket)

What if instead of passing it off to parents, Buchi took a slightly smaller cut? I can tell you first hand from the year I spent locked up in HLA, that very little is actually spent on the kids. The place is a dump and every corner that can be cut is.

I think we would have to know what the guys expenses are and how much the school can afford to absorb.  I am sure it would be a combination of both, but we both know that added costs are usually passed off to the consumer.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:32 PM »
It is relatively inexpensive compared to what a hospital charges per day.

Harvard will run you about $50,000 which works out to be $5,500 a month (considering a child goes for about 9 months a year.) Link

The tuition at Harvard is 38 thousand and change. The room and board puts the total up to 50. The incidentals aren't being counted at RC, so for this we shouldn't count them at Harvard. Either way however the total is less than Ridge Creek, and by far much less abusive.

Here are the results of some random searches for average costs of hospital stays per day: I didnt differentiate between critical and non-critical

You did earlier. Obviously there's a huge difference between critical and non critical and the cost associated between them.

I had a relative in Hazeldon for over a year. The first month or so was close to a $1,000 a day and then after stabilization it drops down to maybe half that. (out of pocket)

Rehab is far more effective, and isn't coerced. If a person stays for long enough then eventually the cost will exceed RC, but they're still going to get more for their money.

I think we would have to know what the guys expenses are and how much the school can afford to absorb. I am sure it would be a combination of both, but we both know that added costs are usually passed off to the consumer.

After paying almost six grand a month? Why shouldn't he take a cut? I mean what are these parents paying for right now anyway?

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »
Quote from: "The gatekeeper"
$175 per day is inexpensive.  

CALO (Change Academy Lake of the Ozarks)

$250 - $400 per day.

No, just one is more expensive than the other. Would either one of you stay in a Motel 6 for $175.00 a night?