Author Topic: Ridge Creek "School" - Serious Safety Issues/ORS Violation  (Read 58416 times)

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Re: Ridge Creek School - Serious Safety Issues/ORS Violation
« Reply #420 on: December 30, 2010, 07:29:36 PM »
As far as this specific incident it seems that Resident #1 sat on Resident #2's face and then resident #2 retaliated and attacked resident #1 sexually in his/her bed.

Gosh. That almost sounds like sexual assault. You would think for the amount of money parents paying Buchi, he could run a safer establishment. I mean, where was night security when this was going on? What sort of screening process is in place for the students? Isn't this the second ORS report in a row where we've read about sexual assaults? Why wouldn't RC staff call the police as is required? Why wait for ORS to do it for them? I think we can all agree that it's been firmly established that there are some major safety issues at RC and parents should probably steer clear until some changes can be made.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:05 PM »
Quote from: "RobertBruce"
As far as this specific incident it seems that Resident #1 sat on Resident #2's face and then resident #2 retaliated and attacked resident #1 sexually in his/her bed.

Gosh. That almost sounds like sexual assault. You would think for the amount of money parents paying Buchi, he could run a safer establishment. I mean, where was night security when this was going on? What sort of screening process is in place for the students? Isn't this the second ORS report in a row where we've read about sexual assaults? Why wouldn't RC staff call the police as is required? Why wait for ORS to do it for them? I think we can all agree that it's been firmly established that there are some major safety issues at RC and parents should probably steer clear until some changes can be made.

Robert, I would not be too hard on the kids, they are teenagers with raging hormones.  Many of these kids have emotional issues, plus I think we all know a lot of this stuff goes on outside of programs also.  The report did not state that the ORS or DHS called the police.  Reading though the report the requirement was that RCS needed to notify DHS within a 24 hour window (not the police).  This was not done but the police were notified.

I agree with you that RCS is having their share of issues and citations.  What we dont know is if this is typical within the private sector.  There is nothing to compare these reports to.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 30, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
Robert, I would not be too hard on the kids, they are teenagers with raging hormones. Many of these kids have emotional issues, plus I think we all know a lot of this stuff goes on outside of programs also.

Who's being hard on the kids but you? None of them need to be in there to begin with, as they will receive no help from the program. I lay the fault at the staff of RC. Apparently no one over there is doing there job.

The report did not state that the ORS or DHS called the police. Reading though the report the requirement was that RCS needed to notify DHS within a 24 hour window (not the police). This was not done but the police were notified.

By an unknown third party. The report clearly states the staff member in question did not know he/she was required to notify the police in the instance of sexual assault. Either this person was attempting to sweep the incident under the rug, or is simply a moron. Which do you think it is Whooter?

I agree with you that RCS is having their share of issues and citations. What we dont know is if this is typical within the private sector. There is nothing to compare these reports to.

I'd love to see some state agency reports detailing other programs. Let us know what you find. In the meantime if it's not typical of the industry, RC should be avoided as it is not safe. If it typical the whole industry should be avoided.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 30, 2010, 08:31:17 PM »
The report clearly states the staff member in question did not know he/she was required to notify the police in the instance of sexual assault.

The requirement:
R 0861 290-2-5-.08(7) Staffing.
SS=B
Reporting. Detailed written summary reports shall be made to the Department of Human Resources, Office of
Regulatory Services, Residential Child Care Unit via email or fax on the required incident intake information form
(IIIF) within 24 hours

Here is the details from the ORS report:

2) During interview with Staff A on 11/23/2010 at 3:15 pm, he/she stated that this incident was
reported outside the 24 hours requirement because he/she didn't think the incident was
reportable until after the police were involved.

The interviewer was questioning the staff member A on why the incident was not reported to DHS.  The police were called but RCS was written up because they did not notify the Department of Human Services.  

In summary there was an incident and RCS called the police, but they failed to notify DHS within 24 hours.  

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
2010 Summary of OS Reports
« Reply #424 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
This is a first pass and there may be items that are missing and/or I may not have seen all the ORS Reports.  I will provide links to all the reports but they are presently scattered about the forum.

My notes are in Blue

Summary of ORS Reports for RCS year ending 2010:

Staffing:
A)     The institution shall have sufficient numbers of qualified and trained staff as required by these rules to provide for the needs, care, protection, and supervision of children. All staff and volunteers shall be supervised to ensure that assigne
•   1/26/2010 – 3/30/2010Kids got out of hand over racial slur.
•   6/28/2010 – 7/21/2010 Resident threw computer and attacked another resident.
•   9/1/2010 Sexual activity among residents, fractured head

Reporting:
A) Detailed written summary reports shall be made to the Department of Human Resources, Office of Regulatory Services, Residential Child Care Unit via email or fax on the required incident intake information form (IIIF) within 24 hours.

•   1/26/2010 – 3/30/2010 Based on file review and staff interview , the agency failed to submit a detailed written summary report to the Department of Human Resources, Office of Regulatory Services, Residential Child Care Unit within 24 hours.  Police called and children were arrested.

•   9/1/2010 Not reporting accidents, mis medication administered
•   11/23/2010 – 12/9/2010 -- Based on file review and staff interview , the agency failed to submit a detailed written summary report to the Department of Human Resources, Office of Regulatory Services, Residential Child Care Unit within 24 hours. Kids sexually attacking each other and girl cutting herself.

Behavior Management:
A)   Residents shall not be permitted to participate in the behavior management of other residents or to discipline other residents, except as part of an organized therapeutic self-governing program in accordance with accepted standards of practice that is con

•   1/26/2010 – 3/30/2010 – Based on file review and staff interview, residents were allowed to participate in the behavior management of other residents.  Fight in Movie room over racial slur.

B)   Behavior management shall be limited to the least restrictive appropriate method, as described in the child's service plan pursuant to Rule

•   6/28/2010 – 7/21/2010 --  8 days in wilderness for fighting.

Emergency Safety Interventions:

•   1/26/2010 – 3/30/2010  -  Based on file review and staff interview the agency failed to document provisions for the documentation of each use of an emergency safety intervention. Fight in the Movie Room.
•   9/1/2010 Based on review of resident files and staff interview, the agency failed to ensure when an emergency safety intervention (ESI) is utilized, staff is trained in the proper use of such
interventions in one of one file reviewed;
Based on record review and staff interview, the agency failed to submit to the Department within 24 hours in which three or more instances of emergency safety interventions of a specific child occurred and/or whenever the institution has had a total of 10 emergency safety interventions (ESIs) for all children in care within the 30-day period;

Assessment and Planning:
A)  A service and room, board and watchful oversight plan shall be developed by the child's Human Services Professional in concert with the child's primary Child Care Worker, meaning the worker who has responsibility for supervision of the child in the living.

•   6/28/2010 – 7/21/2010 --Based on record review and staff interview, the agency failed to have completed Service, Room,Board, and Watchful Oversight plans to include activities to be followed by staff in pursuit ofstated goals and objectives for two of four plans reviewed.
•   9/1/2010 -- Based on review of resident files and staff interview, the agency failed to develop a complete service and room, board and watchful oversight (SRBWO) plan in four of five files reviewed;

Physical Plant and Safety:

A) Each child shall be provided his or her own personal bed and mattress that is no shorter than the child's height and at least thirty inches wide. Clean sheets, pillows and pillow cases, blankets or bed covering shall be provided and sheets and pillow case.

•   6/28/2010 – 7/21/2010 no mattress in wilderness    

Administration and Organization:

A) Program Description and Implementation. In accordance with these rules and regulations, a licensed child caringinstitution shall develop, implement and comply with written policies and procedures that describe the range ofservices including room, board

•    9/1/2010 Bases on record review and staff interview, the agency failed to develop and comply with policies and procedures as to how services will be provided by the facility;
Wrong medication was administered.

Recordkeeping. Personnel Records:

A)  Documentation of at least two professional, educational, or personal references that attest to the person's capabilities of performing the duties for which they are employed and to t

•    9/1/2010 Based on a review of personnel files and staff interview, the agency failed to document at least two professional, educational, or personal references that attest to the person's capabilities of performing the duties for which they are employed and to the person's suitability of working with or around children in four of ten files reviewed.
Maintenance of files

B) Satisfactory preliminary criminal history background check determination and a satisfactory fingerprint records check determination as required by law for the director and foster par

•   9/1/2010  Based on a review of resident files and e-mail correspondence with staff, the facility failed to document a satisfactory preliminary criminal history background check on adults aged eighteen
or older who reside at the home;

C) Documentation of orientation and training, including dates of all such training, as required by Rule .08(6)(d) of these rules;

•    9/1/2010  Based on review of personnel files and staff interview, the agency failed to document orientation and training in eight of ten files reviewed;
Staff were trained but not documented.

Health Services:

A)   Such [general physical] examination shall be done by a medical doctor, physician's assistant, or public health department and shall include basic diagnostic laboratory work, including but not limited to a Complete Blood Count (CBC) and basic urinanalysis;

•   9/1/2010  Based on review of resident files and staff interview, the agency failed to document a Complete Blood Count (CBC) in five of fourteen files reviewed. In addition, the agency failed to document that a basic urinanalysis (UA) was included in the physical examination in twelve of fourteen files reviewed;

B)   A general dental examination of the child shall be provided for unless such an examination has been completed within six months prior to admission. Such examinations shall be done by either a dentist or a dental hygienist that is employed by the department

•   9/1/2010 Based on review of resident files and staff interview, the facility failed to document a dental exam dated less than six months prior to admission or within thirty days after admission in four of fourteen files reviewed;

C)   Prescription medications shall only be given to a child as ordered in the child's prescription. An institution shall not permit such medications prescribed for

•   9/1/2010 Based on record review and staff interviews, the agency failed to ensure that prescribed medications for one child shall not be given to another child.

D)   Psychotropic medications. No child shall be given psychotropic medications unless use is in accordance with the goals and objectives of the child's service plan.

•   9/1/2010  Based on record review and interviews with staff, the facility failed to administer residents' psychotropic medications in accordance with the goals and objectives of the child's service plan in one of one incidents reviewed.

E)   Psychotropic medication shall only be given to a child as ordered in the child's prescription. An institution shall not permit such medications prescribed for on

•   9/1/2010  -- Based on record review, review of agency medication policy and staff interviews, the agency failed to ensure medication was given to a child as ordered by the physician in one of one file reviewed;

F)   The prescribing physician shall be notified in cases of dosage errors, drug reactions, or if the psychotropicmedication does not appear to be effective. ...

•   9/1/2010  Based on record review and interviews with staff, the facility failed to notifying a child's attending physician in cases of dosage errors, drug reactions, or if the prescription medication does not appear to be effective to in 255 of 255 incidents reviewed.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 31, 2010, 08:35:34 AM »
Quote from: "The gatekeeper"
Staffing:
A) The institution shall have sufficient numbers of qualified and trained staff as required by these rules to provide for the needs, care, protection, and supervision of children. All staff and volunteers shall be supervised to ensure that assigne
• 1/26/2010 – 3/30/2010 – Kids got out of hand over racial slur.
• 6/28/2010 – 7/21/2010 – Resident threw computer and attacked another resident.
• 9/1/2010 Sexual activity among residents, fractured head

I wonder if insufficient number of staffers can be attributed to Ridge Creek School screening process?  My gut tells me yes based on first hand work experience.  The behaviors above are reminiscent of behaviors exhibited from violent juvenile offenders.

From reading the reports it seems that RCS knowingly accepts these types of kids because there are so many of them.  At ASR, for example, if a child had a violent past or was a chronic runaway then you could not get in.  If you ran away more than once or was violent towards another person then the cops were called and you were out on your ass with no refund to the parents.  In the early 2000's anyway there were so many kids that programs could afford to be choosy on which ones they accept.

I could not imagine any of the kids at ASR writing racial slurs on the wall or throwing computers against the wall.  I would imagine those kids who did that were inner city children or kids from poor neighborhoods.  I wonder if RCS is accepting state placement children?

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 31, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
The requirement:
SS=B
Reporting. Detailed written summary reports shall be made to the Department of Human Resources, Office of
Regulatory Services, Residential Child Care Unit via email or fax on the required incident intake information form
(IIIF) within 24 hours.

Whooter are you attempting to claim that calling the police isn't required in instances of sexual assault? Or at the very least isn't just common sense?

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 31, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »
I wonder if RCS is accepting state placement children?

You mean court ordered kids? They always were. As I've said many times, Buchi's only requisite for addmitiance is that each child arrive with a check pinned to his shirt. No consideration is given to whether or the night the child is appropriate for placement. All this does is create an even more dangerous environment for both the staff and the kids.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 31, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »
The requirement:
SS=B
(IIIF) within 24 hours.

Whooter are you attempting to claim that calling the police isn't required in instances of sexual assault? Or at the very least isn't just common sense?

That comes directly from the ORS Report.  They require written summary reports of all instances regardless of whether or not the police are called.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 31, 2010, 11:44:35 AM »
I wonder if RCS is accepting state placement children?

You mean court ordered kids? They always were. As I've said many times, Buchi's only requisite for addmitiance is that each child arrive with a check pinned to his shirt. No consideration is given to whether or the night the child is appropriate for placement. All this does is create an even more dangerous environment for both the staff and the kids.

Which has been a common practice for 40 years in many programs. So long as the particular State is paying bring them.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 31, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
I wonder how the state determines which kid goes to juvy and which goes to a place like RCS.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 31, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
That comes directly from the ORS Report. They require written summary reports of all instances regardless of whether or not the police are called.

So you don't think the school is required to call the police in instances of sexual assault?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 31, 2010, 12:22:34 PM »
That comes directly from the ORS Report. They require written summary reports of all instances regardless of whether or not the police are called.

So you don't think the school is required to call the police in instances of sexual assault?

I looked back on my postings and I dont see where I stated that.  Do you have a link to refer us to the post in question?

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 31, 2010, 02:28:40 PM »
I looked back on my postings and I dont see where I stated that. Do you have a link to refer us to the post in question?

My question to you was just that, a question, and it remains. Do you not think the school is required to call the police in the event of a sexual assault?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 31, 2010, 02:42:55 PM »
I looked back on my postings and I dont see where I stated that. Do you have a link to refer us to the post in question?

My question to you was just that, a question, and it remains. Do you not think the school is required to call the police in the event of a sexual assault?

I am not that well versed on the laws.  If a kid grabs another kids butt in the locker room in highschool or groaps another kids sexually and the kids complain to the teacher then I think he is required to call the police.  But I dont know if it is an offense or not if they are both under 18.  I am not sure of the laws.  But to error on the side of caution I would notify authorities.