Author Topic: Ridge Creek "School" - Serious Safety Issues/ORS Violation  (Read 58420 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Ridge Creek School - Serious Safety Issues/ORS Violation
« Reply #405 on: December 29, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
Robert, I have not been able to locate any documented "sexual assault" at RCS.  If you have an ORS report on this incident this would be a good place to post it.  There was a staffing issue revolving around a sexual activity between students:

A problem with "sexual activity" was documented as a "Staffing Issue" according to the ORS Reports.  Lets take a look at it:

Staffing. The institution shall have sufficient numbers of qualified and trained staff as required by these rules to provide for the needs, care, protection, and supervision of children. All staff and volunteers shall be supervised to ensure that assigne

This Requirement is not met as evidenced by:
Based on record review, resident and staff interviews, the agency failed to provide for the needs,
care, protection, and supervision of the children in care;

Findings Include:
(1) During an interviews conducted on September 1, 2010 from 1:00 pm-3:30 pm with Residents
101, 102, 108, 109, 110, and 112 in which all residents acknowledged that they are aware of
residents engaging in sexually inappropriate behavior. It was reported that the residents would
sneak off in designated areas unbeknownst to staff.
(2) Record review on September 1, 2010 of Incident Report dated 06-06-10 for Resident #11
revealed Resident #11 along with 6 other females disclosed to staff an incident involving sexual
activity between Resident #11 and an older male resident.
It was documented that Resident #11
appeared upset and stated that what occurred between herself (R11) and the male resident was  an unwelcome encounter. Furthermore, it was documented that Resident #11 initially lied about
the incident
because she/he did not want the peer to get in trouble. In addition, review of Incident
Report dated 04-25-10 for Resident #11 revealed that Resident #11 was found around 8:15 am
asleep in the bed with Resident #15.
Furthermore, review of Incident Report dated 05-08-10 for
Resident #15 revealed that a room search was conducted in which several notes were found
referencing several sexual encounters with male students.  During an interview on September 9, 2010 at about 12:43 pm with Staff AA, Staff AA indicated that to his/her knowledge there has been no current sexual activity reported and/or observed amongst the students however Staff AA acknowledged that previously there was an issue inwhich Resident #11 made allegations against a male student. After a week of the incident
Resident #11. Resident #11 child reported the story in which the story changed when she spoke
with another counselor and her mother.
In regards to the incidents with Resident #15 it was
found that Resident #15 had engaged in sexual acting out on 3 separate occasions in some sort
of consensual encounter with another male student in which Resident #15 reported that she/he
engaged in sexual inappropriate activities with the male peer in which the incident incident
occurred in the music room at student activity center and the other two incidents occurred in the
movie room in student activity center and the bathroom in academic building. The agency
conducted an investigation which revealed that the incidents occurred and all parents of the
residents were notified.
(4) During an interview on September 9, 2010 at about 5:00 pm with Staff DD, Staff DD indicated
that the clinical director followed up with the counselor regarding the allegations in which
Resident #11 re-canted the allegation.
As a result of the incident she/he re-wrote the abuse
reporting policy and procedure effective April 2010 which addressed the reporting of allegations
as a means to address reporting of incidents and it addressed specific procedures in which the
counselors to follow in reporting of incidents.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 29, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Let me ask you a question, Heretik.  We hear stories of programs serving rotten food and locking kids in isolation boxes for weeks at a time.  We read about kids being isolated from their families without contact for months at a time and brainwashed.  We have read about kids not getting hardly any education at all, etc.  These were issues which defined these programs in many people minds.  I have shown (and kids who wrote here on fornits) that these conditions have changed.  Kids are receiving great meals, Vegetarian, Vegan etc., competing in sports against other highschools going white water rafting, going on dates into town, attending dances.  There are programs where kids are not locked in boxes or cages today and can write to their families and have unmonitored phone calls.  Kids are excelling at their academics and moving onto college after they graduate.

If it was okay to talk about how bad these conditions were then why are not the improvements recognized and applauded?  Why do people like yourself see this information as a threat or non issue?  If you are all about the kids( like you claim you are) why not be happy about these improvements and increases in quality of life for them?  From my perspective the amount of effort many here put in to discrediting and ignoring the facts shows that you really are not interested in anything except your own stories and the way programs were in the past.    Why does every discussion have to be about the negative aspects of the industry?  Why not a more healthy honest discussion about the facts (good and bad)?

No programs have not changed that much at all, abusive practices are still pouring out of web sites and blogs almost monthly concerning children. Right here we have DHS commenting on serious safety issues. Whooter this game (whatever you want to call it) is up, the gig is up. In 1975 Elan was preparing good food and in 2009 I am hearing this is not the case anymore. Marathon House was serving us food that had to be shipped in from churches, food banks and where ever else they could get it. I found this to be incredible considering what the State of Rhode Island was paying for me being there and that my father was also contributing. The Director always had his brand new Eldorado washed by us residents, every Saturday.
Why do you think everybody here is devoted to helping put a end to this debacle.
"If it was okay to talk about how bad these conditions were then why are not the improvements recognized and applauded?  Why do people like yourself see this information as a threat or non issue?"
 You have been making this ridiculous comment for years. It is old and shows your lack of maturation on this site. I thought you said you had learned a lot since coming here to this site. Well maybe now would be the time for you to show it. No one here is threatened, intimidated or confused by improvements and or positive actions taken by programs. We just have one problem, you or them (programs) can not tie together a conscious linear progression of improvements this indusrty has done over the years singularly or collectively.
This is why your inadequacies are so transparent concerning the TTI. You don't do your homework because you really don't care. This is all one big game for you.
Sad because with all your energy and intellect you could be saving children right now.  
There should be no violations at RCS, no forgetting to report incidents and the program RCS should be way out in front of this speaking about how they are going to correct this for the sake of the children. There should not be this huge debate concerning violations at RCS. RCS is not Aetna, GMC, or any other large Corp. They are a small entity, with a relatively small staff (which is good and bad) so taking care of their responsibilities should not be hard and the follow up should not be difficult. Yet, lo and behold it is and has been for most of Len's tenure.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 29, 2010, 09:37:52 PM »
Quote from: "RobertBruce"
No one can dismiss the reports, Robert, they are well documented.

Yet here you are still attempting to claim numerous instances of sexual assault are simply paper work issues, and not safety ones.

This is the game we are talking about and documenting. Everyone here knows what you are talking about Robert yet Whooter wants to play. He must find this amusing. Sexual assault is something to belittle with minimal statements that have nothing to do with the actual assault. Lets drag in something from left field an discuss this. Lets see if I can aggravate and irritate my fellow posters with nonsense.
Whooter has shown and probably will continue to show his lack of empathy for children in these programs. This will be documented for sure.
I sure hope all this is worth it, Whooter because children are not safe in many programs today.
This is not about how you can one up Robert, Whooter, this is about the children.
These sexual assaults have been well documented here on fornits.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:55:57 PM by heretik »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 29, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
As a goal, Hospitals, residential treatment centers and programs alike should strive to have zero violations and continue to raise their standards and improve.  If RCS (or any institution) continues to be written up on the same issues and shows no improvement or willingness to improve then the DHS should turn up the pain level in my opinion.  I am not sure what power they have at their disposal but these places should be hit where it hurts, in the form of fines maybe, to remind them that they need to continue to make progress towards these goals.  I would be willing to guess that very few institutions have zero violations after their yearly audits and/or reported incidences.

The visibility that these ORS reports lend us will be evidence of RCS's willingness to improve and met the standards set down by the State of Georgia.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 29, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »
Quote from: "heretik"

So far you have fallen short in providing any evidence to back up your claims.  If you do have ORS reports on RCS this is the thread to post them in and your contribution will add to the discussion, Heretik.  The programs house sexually active teenagers so the programs have their work cut out for them in providing oversight to keep these kids safe from themselves and each other.  We have a recent ORS report (provided by Jill Ryan) which details a problem of "under staffing" resulting in many kids having sex on the school grounds.  I have not seen any sexual assaults documented via ORS.  If you have them please post them.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »

So far you have fallen short in providing any evidence to back up your claims.  If you do have ORS reports on RCS this is the thread to post them in and your contribution will add to the discussion, Heretik.  The programs house sexually active teenagers so the programs have their work cut out for them in providing oversight to keep these kids safe from themselves and each other.  We have a recent ORS report (provided by Jill Ryan) which details a problem of "under staffing" resulting in many kids having sex on the school grounds.  I have not seen any sexual assaults documented via ORS.  If you have them please post them.

No, I don't play your games. If you feel the need to argue that children have not been assaulted and we have not properly documented this. Well fine!! Stand by yourself and look as foolish as you are. I am concerned for the children if you want to stand their and argue about paperwork while children are being hurt, go ahead. See this is your game and I choose not to play.
The children Whooter. It is all about the children.
I also understand that you get so engrossed in winning the battle almost always the war is lost on you. Open your mind, Whooter.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 29, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »

No, I don't play your games. If you feel the need to argue that children have not been assaulted and we have not properly documented this. Well fine!! Stand by yourself and look as foolish as you are. I am concerned for the children if you want to stand their and argue about paperwork while children are being hurt, go ahead. See this is your game and I choose not to play.
The children Whooter. It is all about the children.
I also understand that you get so engrossed in winning the battle almost always the war is lost on you. Open your mind, Whooter.

This is what the DHS does, Heretik, they document the events.  If we are to say kids are being hurt then how can we help them if we dont know how they are being hurt?  The ORS reports provides a vehicle for discussion and validates each of these arguments against them.  If a child is having sex in the program and the ORS documents it this way then how does it help the children to lie and say the kids are being sexually assaulted or raped.  How is this helping the children?  This would only result in discrediting yourself with no documentation to support what you are saying.

Do you see what I mean?  It is much more important to be honest with the readers and back up your allegation with facts like ORS reports or DHS findings.  If you are truly interested and sincere about helping these kids then lets present the facts.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 29, 2010, 11:40:09 PM »

Here you go Whooter:

http://http://167.193.144.170:7001/ORSINV/PDFS_CCI/CCI001710PQD711.pdf

During interview with Staff A on 11/23/10 at 3:15 pm he/she stated that this incident (read the paragraph above for details ) was reported outside of the 24 hours requirement because he/she didn't think the incident was reportable until after the police were involved

There you have it Whooter. A sexual assualt that the police needed to become involved in, apparently not at the schools instigation. Anything else?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 30, 2010, 12:09:22 AM »
Thank you Robert.  I will add these two items in.  From reading the report it appears that RCS called the police but failed to notify DHS within the window of 24 hours.

They were cited for Reporting Issues (not reporting within 24 hours) and Staffing ( not having proper supervision).  I believe there was a girl who was cutting herself also.

As more and more of these reports come to light correcting these problems are going to include:

Training of their personnel.

Providing more oversight of these kids especially during the evening hours.

Manpower and training are typically two areas that places always get nailed on.  If these problems keep repeating themselves then RCS will have to implement a very formal internal training program with the right checks and balances and hire more personnel for the night shift.  I am not sure of DHS's policies on how long a program can continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Formal training programs with a tracking system is expensive for a small business to take on but becomes mandatory if the present system proves not to be effective.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 30, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »
Here is a summary of the first few DHS findings from page 1:

1)Failure to Allow Access
Computer system was down

2)Insufficient Staffing:
Fight broke out and there were not enough staff available in the area to help out.

3) Reporting
Failed to provide summary reports within 24 hours.

4) Residents shall not be permitted to participate in the behavior management of other residents or to discipline others.
Residents were attacking each other over a racial slur.

5) Provisions for the documentation of each use of an emergency safety intervention including.....

A safety intervention was not documented.

6) Behavior management shall be limited to the least restrictive appropriate method, as described in the child's service plan pursuant to Rule..

Child sent back to wilderness for fighting

7) Each child shall be provided his or her own personal bed and mattress that is no shorter than the child's height and at least thirty inches wide. Clean sheets, pillows and pillow cases, blankets or bed covering shall be provided and sheets and pillow case.

Child in wilderness said they did not have a mattress.

8.) 12/9/2010Reporting. Detailed written summary reports shall be made to the Department of Human Resources, Office of
Regulatory Services, Residential Child Care Unit via email or fax on the required incident intake information form
(IIIF) within 24 hours.

Two children attacked each other sexually, one child was found cutting him/herself.

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 30, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »
Quote from: "Jill Ryan"
Does anyone happen to know where the other threads went under RCS?

Someone threw them into the drama box.

The threads are not there either.  The last posting under RCS is on December 23rd and it was not 'the active' thread nor the largest.    Major violation threads have disappeared.  The thread created by the "gatekeeper" has disappeared ...viewtopic.php?f=41&t=32533

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 30, 2010, 12:15:39 PM »
Does anyone happen to know where the other threads went under RCS?

Someone threw them into the drama box.

The threads are not there either.  The last posting under RCS is on December 23rd and it was not 'the active' thread nor the largest.    Major violation threads have disappeared.  The thread created by the "gatekeeper" has disappeared ...viewtopic.php?f=41&t=32533

Sorry Jill. I thought yesterday all the posts were brought back here from the drama box. I guess I am not aware of what you are referring to. Maybe Ursus, Psy or The Gatekeeper can help.

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 30, 2010, 12:29:44 PM »
Thanks:).  Drama Box?  Oh, well.  I did hear from the moderator who gave me a link to find the major thread that was not listed under RCS for some reason.viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32547

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 30, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
Thank you Robert. I will add these two items in. From reading the report it appears that RCS called the police but failed to notify DHS within the window of 24 hours.

Whooter would you mind clarifying for everyone what the police were called for?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 30, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
Quote from: "RobertBruce"
Thank you Robert. I will add these two items in. From reading the report it appears that RCS called the police but failed to notify DHS within the window of 24 hours.

Whooter would you mind clarifying for everyone what the police were called for?

Hi, Robert, I hope you are having a nice holiday season.  I dont have the details except for what the ORS report states.  I would not be surprised if the police were not called once a week with the way these kids act out.  As far as this specific incident it seems that Resident #1 sat on Resident #2's face and then resident #2 retaliated and attacked resident #1 sexually in his/her bed.  Then the police were called.  It doesnt say if any of the kids were arrested or not so we dont know why they were called.  Maybe the police need to be called every time there is any sexual contact (which is probably every day with this group of kids!!  lol).  I am not familiar with the local requirements.

I think it is good that RCS does not hesitate to notify outside agencies like the police when these incidents occur although they violated a 24 hour requirement to notify DHS of the incidences.