Author Topic: Public School Abuse  (Read 23849 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: availability of spec ed services varies
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Quote from: "Ursus"
Ursus if I remember correctly you were advocating back on the JRC thread for children with Aspergers, High Functioning Autism and other disabilities, for their parents to place them back in the public school system. Now mind you I am not advocating JRC but just say'in that public schools are not the answer either.
The idea is "least restrictive" environment.

So just so I understand you call "the idea" of public schools a less restrictive enviroment. Are you talking a special program within the public school or just throwing them in there with the population.
Obviously, it depends on the kid. Some need very little accommodation, some need a special program within the public  school for at least part of the time.

The ultimate goal is self-sufficiency, or as close to it as possible. Since the feasibility of realizing that goal is quite high and quite probable when it comes to Aspies and high-functioning Autistics, it makes little sense to take a kid out of the mainstream when it isn't necessary.

Ursus I am not the sharpest pencil around here but even I know your reaching for the stars thinking that these children can make it in the mainstream. Their motor skills at ages 6-12 are well below other children let alone their cognitive and social skills, they have to be adjusted before they can function in society without being inculcated (never used that word before). Ursus you know this too. Public school whether in Harlem or West Hartford Ct is not going to prevent the inevitable.
LOL. I really have to BITE my lip here! Do you even know what Asperger's syndrome and high functioning autism entail? Just read up a little on Temple Grandin with regard to what a high functioning Autistic can aspire to... Geeezzz Louise! And here's a little more on her:

Video and story on Grandin from CNN.com: Why autism is a gift[/list]

If anything, it presents yet another problematic transition and social environment that the kid needs to learn and adjust to, one that will, in all likelihood, have little or nothing to do with his or her life in the real world
    Not if they are started out in a specialized (Non-TC Methodology) program specifically centered on their disabilities.
    They may not need it. Actually, high school is usually considered to be the worst time. That's when being able to "fit in with your peers" generally becomes so all-important, and feels like so painfully obvious a short-coming to some. But most will survive just fine with but a little tweaking of the basic paradigm.

Moreover, since these programs all pretty much rely on TC-derived "positive peer culture" environments to do their inculcating, this can be, depending on the personality of the kid, potentially lethal. You put an introspective, socially-inhibited Aspie into an environment like that, you're asking for a bully fest.
    First off I don't believe anybody in their right mind had a concept like what your explaining here in mind. A bully fest you don't even need the other kids the teachers will do it to them. Nobody within the public school environment has the capability of dealing with this type of student and you know this. So they end up being separated from the population and put in special classes down the hall and that is when the bully fest will start. Ya know the "short bus".

No, my opinion is have them in a totally separate site and work with them, gradually integrate them into society maybe into public school for the very high end of functionality. Don't start them there.
    It really depends on the kid. Again, do you even know what comprises Asperger's syndrome and high functioning autism?

As far as public schools go, it really depends mostly on the neighborhood and/or town, doesn't it? If you think that what's going on in a PS in Grosse Point, Michigan or Manhasset, Long Island can possibly compare with what's going on in a PS in the South Bronx, you are seriously delusional.
    I would watch what you are saying here you almost sound like you are separating and maybe some folk would not like your reference, ya know what I mean. Just say'in.

Danny
    Just what are you trying to say here? Are you trying to dissuade me from pointing out the obvious, namely, that not all public schools are equivalent when it comes to the quality of the education one receives, that local poverty does affect the quality of services one does or does not receive at school, and that some schools have significant problems with bullying and others do not?
    « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
    Re: Public School Abuse
    « Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 01:24:03 AM »
    Danny wrote:
    Ursus if I remember correctly you were advocating back on the JRC thread for children with Aspergers, High Functioning Autism and other disabilities, for their parents to place them back in the public school system. Now mind you I am not advocating JRC but just say'in that public schools are not the answer either.

Ursus wrote:
    The idea is "least restrictive" environment.

Danny wrote:
    So just so I understand you call "the idea" of public schools a less restrictive enviroment. Are you talking a special program within the public school or just throwing them in there with the population.
    Obviously, it depends on the kid. Some need very little accommodation, some need a special program within the public  school for at least part of the time.

Ursus wrote:
    The ultimate goal is self-sufficiency, or as close to it as possible. Since the feasibility of realizing that goal is quite high and quite probable when it comes to Aspies and high-functioning Autistics, it makes little sense to take a kid out of the mainstream when it isn't necessary.

Danny wrote:  
    Ursus I am not the sharpest pencil around here but even I know your reaching for the stars thinking that these children can make it in the mainstream. Their motor skills at ages 6-12 are well below other children let alone their cognitive and social skills, they have to be adjusted before they can function in society without being inculcated (never used that word before). Ursus you know this too. Public school whether in Harlem or West Hartford Ct is not going to prevent the inevitable.

Ursus wrote:
     LOL. I really have to BITE my lip here! Do you even know what Asperger's syndrome and high functioning autism entail? Just read up a little on Temple Grandin with regard to what a high functioning Autistic can aspire to... Geeezzz Louise! And here's a little more on her:
      Video and story on Grandin from CNN.com: Why autism is a gift[/list]

Danny wrote:
      OK I'll bite here myself, before I go any futher do explain to me please what are your credentials in this field, do you have a degree in something related to these disabilities, do you have a doctorate in this field, are you a consultant to the professionals in this field.
      Ursus I am not going to read a post or web site then come on here and because I intellectually understood what they said then plagiarize what they said. If I don't experience it personally I usually don't have much to say. See it is not important to me to sound intelligent, obviously...lol. What I do want to convey through my limited dyslexic vocabulary is a sense of truth. That even though I may not be a wordsmith I am talking my truth. My truth here is this.
      From my early years of life, 7 yrs old to be exact. My aunt brought into her family a Asperger child by the name of Dorothy and a Autistic child by the name of Joey. Dorothy survives to this day she is married had children and now has grandchildren. Joey died much to early from complications due to his Autism. Now Dorothy does not mind me mentioning her name because she follows conversations at times that concern her. The JRC thread was a very interesting conversation.
      So Ursus as you can see If I want to know something about autism or aspergers I can either ask Dorothy or her mother my aunt. Now also I can bring my moms experience in here to this conversation because this was her sister who raised these children. I think my mom also brings something else to this conversation she was a teacher for 42 years in the Rhode Island and Connecticut Schools System. Her last 22 years was with Connecticut schools with a program called CREC, Capitol Region Education Council. In her capacity with Crec she worked in the vocational educatinal, Food Service. Now the children she worked with came from troubled backgrounds and had various learning disabilities. Her opinions on having children in the school system with disabilities that could cause harm to them if put in the general population was very clear, no. She had seen enough incompetence with the school administration to know they would fall through the cracks.
      Last here Dorothy keeps me up to date on what is happening concerning Aspergers, high functioning autism and autism if that isn't good enough my aunt is still alive and her personal experience is good enough.
      Ursus I am not a gifted writer because I suffer from dyslexia: A partial definition is below.
      Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurological in origin.
      It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition, and by poor spelling and decoding abilities.
      These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction.
      Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.

and this is only the half of it....yet I still managed to succeed in life. So please everyone continue to laugh and snicker at my grammar and vocabulary, I also do it when I read what I have wrote sometimes. It is like whaaaaaaat is it....lol. You could only imagine what I went through in the mid 60's and early 70's with this disadvantage in school, peer pressure was very degrading. I was laughed at by other students, teachers were frustrated due to lack of education themselves so they took it out on me. I am not complaining here I am just pointing out a reality I faced everyday at school. I could only imagine if I had the disabilities were talking about here, regardless of where I went to school. You really think schools in different economic geographics will make a difference. Definitely did not help that girl from Ireland from being bullied to the point of suicide and she grew up in a wealthy district in Weymouth Mass.  
      Ursus I say you are mistaken in your assessment because Dorothy was not put in that situation she was home schooled but my aunt always said that if she could have found a program that dealt specifically with these disability she would have considered placing her there, not a TC Ursus. But she would never had placed her a the mercy of the public school system and my mother echoed that sentiment.
      I also have a sister working in the school system in Hartford Ct. she also has her opinions but I think her passionate nature could be worse then mine, only kidding. But once again she would not trust the public school system.
      I really do my homework before I speak Ursus, as we spoke about before about JRC this is a personal.

Ursus wrote
      If anything, it presents yet another problematic transition and social environment that the kid needs to learn and adjust to, one that will, in all likelihood, have little or nothing to do with his or her life in the real world

Danny wrote:
      Not if they are started out in a specialized (Non-TC Methodology) program specifically centered on their disabilities.

Ursus wrote:
      They may not need it. Actually, high school is usually considered to be the worst time. That's when being able to "fit in with your peers" generally becomes so all-important, and feels like so painfully obvious a short-coming to some. But most will survive just fine with but a little tweaking of the basic paradigm.

Danny wrote:
      Your confident of that just a little tweaking, your talking like you are in this field as a profession. Is this true, I am not fishing I am asking a legitimate question, because if you are then I have more questions. I don't profess to know everything about this subject but I do think I have a bit.

Ursus wrote:
      Moreover, since these programs all pretty much rely on TC-derived "positive peer culture" environments to do their inculcating, this can be, depending on the personality of the kid, potentially lethal. You put an introspective, socially-inhibited Aspie into an environment like that, you're asking for a bully fest.

Danny wrote:
      First off I don't believe anybody in their right mind had a concept like what your explaining here in mind. A bully fest you don't even need the other kids the teachers will do it to them. Nobody within the public school environment has the capability of dealing with this type of student and you know this. So they end up being separated from the population and put in special classes down the hall and that is when the bully fest will start. Ya know the "short bus".
      No,my opinion is have them in a totally separate site and work with them, gradually integrate them into society maybe into public school for the very high end of functionality. Don't start them there.

Ursus wrote:
      It really depends on the kid. Again, do you even know what comprises Asperger's syndrome and high functioning autism?

Danny wrote:
      Well you have asked me this question again and I will say I don't believe I understand your definition. So please explain.

Ursus wrote:
      As far as public schools go, it really depends mostly on the neighborhood and/or town, doesn't it? If you think that what's going on in a PS in Grosse Point, Michigan or Manhasset, Long Island can possibly compare with what's going on in a PS in the South Bronx, you are seriously delusional.

Danny wrote:  
      I would watch what you are saying here you almost sound like you are separating and maybe some folk would not like your reference, ya know what I mean. Just say'in.

Ursus wrote:
      Just what are you trying to say here? Are you trying to dissuade me from pointing out the obvious, namely, that not all public schools are equivalent when it comes to the quality of the education one receives, that local poverty does effect the quality of services one does or does not receive at school, and that some schools have significant problems with bullying and others do not ?

Danny wrote:
      No obviously I can't do that.....lol. I just thought for our various readers you could be a tad more delicate. Seems ironic coming from me eh....lol. I will not argue your point though.

danny
      Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
        • View Profile
      « Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »
      I have a good friend who has 4 kids on the Autism Spectrum.
      Honor role student to Headbanging and non-verbal.
      All of them with a very High I.Q.
      She does not need a clinical trial or numbers to show what works and what does not.
      No drugs, No JRC.
      Unreal amount of personal sacrifice, patience and fierce advocacy.
      We shape the disability rights around here for the voiceless and dead.
      Her School age kids go to Public School.
      No Restraints, No Cruelty.
      She had to Educate the Educators for 20 years though.............
      There before the grace of G-d go I.
      WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
      « Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »
      I was thinking this morning of the movie, " Mozart and the Whale" two folks who have Aspergers.
      I particularly like the scene at the end of the movie where Josh Hartnett and Radha Mitchell get back together and sit with the group Donald (Josh) is affiliated with. There it is Ursus your spectrum of Aspergers and HFA.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
        • View Profile
      « Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »
      Quote from: "BuzzKill"
      Quote from: "Pile of Dead Kids"
      (and believe me, when FOX FUCKING 'NEWS' sees the obvious flaws..) in some dumb bitch's gross misuse of statistics, which was seized upon by Newsmax to protect the Catholic Church, because she was dumb enough to mis-cite a report from feminists and ended up conflating teachers' harassment with teenage boys'.

You might recall it was Fox that did the three part series on WWASP. They did a good job too. Other than Montana's PBS - what other American media or news organization has done as much?

ALEX JONES
      http://http://www.infowars.com
      WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
      « Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 10:42:50 AM »
      Quote from: "Eliscu2"
      She does not need a clinical trial or numbers to show what works and what does not.
      No drugs, No JRC.

Felice why now??????? Why not bring this example up back when you initiated this topic. May I ask a question please......please. Why in gods name would you force your kids (round peg) into a public school arena (square hole) when you know their emotional social skills are disabled dramatically. I agree with not sending a child with this disability to JRC. Banging heads and self-mutilation something different now. I fully agree that god has blessed some mothers with the ability and finances to deal with this. The little I do know about the educational system I do know they should not be involved at all. They don't do what they say and they always lose the funding. So no I'll stay with the ideas of others I've heard from, get special programs to deal with this. Why are we trying to force this on public schools anyways, so parents can entertain the fantasy that their child is normal or is it because they cannot afford the special care elsewhere.
      Felice if in fact her kids are going to public school then they are exceptionally high functioning autistic or border line asperger (if in fact you can be).
      Anyway how much can I really know I am sure there are folks with these disabilities doing things that would surprise the normal.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
      « Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »
      Obama is a fan of Public school girls too!

I like the expression on the French guy.  He knows Obama is checking her out.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
      « Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
      Quote from: "Whooter"
      Obama is a fan of Public school girls too!

I like the expression on the French guy.  He knows Obama is checking her out.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :P  :P

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
        • View Profile
      « Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »
      I like this...I think I saw something on an Album cover like this....Digging through Ministry Collection now.
      Nothing like some good ol Humiliation Therapy
      [attachment=0:29rykv2q]duncecap.jpg[/attachment:29rykv2q]
      WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
      « Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »
      I like this...I think I saw something on an Album cover like this....Digging through Ministry Collection now.
      [attachment=0:296w3oqb]duncecap.jpg[/attachment:296w3oqb]

Great find, Eliscu2, and appropriate to the topic.  In all fairness to the teachers back then I dont think they knew much about self esteem.  Believe it or not this still occurred in the 1960's.  It was effective in bringing order to the classroom but didnt promote healthy growth in the child.  It did more to label them and convince them that they were no good than anything else.
      It wasnt until the 1970's that this practice was abolished and the child self esteem was better protected.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »
      Quote from: "Whooter"
      Great find, Eliscu2, and appropriate to the topic.  In all fairness to the teachers back then I dont think they knew much about self esteem.  Believe it or not this still occurred in the 1960's.  It was effective in bringing order to the classroom but didnt promote healthy growth in the child.  It did more to label them and convince them that they were no good than anything else.
      It wasnt until the 1970's that this practice was abolished and the child self esteem was better protected.
      :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:
      I seem to remember a kid having to stand near the entrance to the dining area at Hyde from time to time in the early 1970s; he wore a big sign around his neck requesting inquiry as to his sins. Who knows, maybe he even had a dunce cap on!

As you well know, public humiliation is par for the course at programs, Whooter. Dunce cap or not, the fear of being ridiculed by your peers and held up to public disdain is a powerful behavior modifier. Of course, the reasons for being held in such low regard may have little to do with reality or a healthy perspective on adolescence. Or a healthy perspective on human beings, for that matter.
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
        • View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 07:30:49 PM »
      No drugs, No JRC.

Felice why now??????? Why not bring this example up back when you initiated this topic. May I ask a question please......please. Why in gods name would you force your kids (round peg) into a public school arena (square hole) when you know their emotional social skills are disabled dramatically. I agree with not sending a child with this disability to JRC. Banging heads and self-mutilation something different now. I fully agree that god has blessed some mothers with the ability and finances to deal with this. The little I do know about the educational system I do know they should not be involved at all. They don't do what they say and they always lose the funding. So no I'll stay with the ideas of others I've heard from, get special programs to deal with this. Why are we trying to force this on public schools anyways, so parents can entertain the fantasy that their child is normal or is it because they cannot afford the special care elsewhere.
      Felice if in fact her kids are going to public school then they are exceptionally high functioning autistic or border line asperger (if in fact you can be).
      Anyway how much can I really know I am sure there are folks with these disabilities doing things that would surprise the normal.
      Danny I am so sure I care what you think. :timeout:
      After the other night with the CARTOON CROTCH Cronicles....
      Go morally police an Avatar and leave the human rights to those who are not sexually repressed.
      In fact I suggest you call up an Escort...maybe learn something.
      Make sure you let them know you will be needing a tweezers and electron microscope to find your penis with.
      Danny Bennison- "Digging for cartoon vagina's in Avatars" says.... :sue:
      http://http://www.fornits.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30611&p=365349&hilit=Cartoon+Croch#p365333
      « Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:51:05 PM by Eliscu2 »
      WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
      « Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »
      :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:
      I seem to remember a kid having to stand near the entrance to the dining area at Hyde from time to time in the early 1970s; he wore a big sign around his neck requesting inquiry as to his sins. Who knows, maybe he even had a dunce cap on!

As you well know, public humiliation is par for the course at programs, Whooter. Dunce cap or not, the fear of being ridiculed by your peers and held up to public disdain is a powerful behavior modifier. Of course, the reasons for being held in such low regard may have little to do with reality or a healthy perspective on adolescence. Or a healthy perspective on human beings, for that matter.

Ursus, That’s awful to humiliate kids like that.  I don’t know what they were thinking.  I had a kid in my class who kept leaving the room to go to the bathroom because the teacher would not recognize his 1 or 2 finger signal.  She finally forced the boy to sit next to her facing the class and would physically hold the boy from leaving the room.  He would eventually pee in his seat.  This went on for a week or more.

I find it hard to believe that these school teachers were just sadistic and I don’t know if they viewed it as cruelty or not but us kids , I remember, thought it was wrong.  Later we found out that the boy had a bowel disorder of some type and that is why he needed to go so often.

As far as thinking that programs are like this now, Ursus, you are way off the mark just like schools don’t do this anymore either. I don’t hear stories like this coming from our schools systems lately. If there are still programs who would do this then they are dinosaurs and will close soon like CEDU etal.
      The programs I am familiar with protect the Childs self esteem.

This is another strong reason why parents should speak to other parents prior to placing their child in a program.  They should also get a third party sign off.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
      « Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »
      Whooter: PARENTS DON'T KNOW. No amtter whatr survivors I talk to, tehy all say the same. Part of program methodology is dividing the family to keep the lines of communication monitored. That is why they lock phones and read and censor letters. We all learned quickly that if we complained, things were made worse for us. Staff would cast aspersions on us.  And yes, staff lied. Kids in "troubled teens" program have no voice and no rights.  If we tell, we are subjected to more trenchant emotional abuse. It didn't matter that much because we neded up being brainwashed anyway and rationalized the BS. I have spoken with countless survivors on both sides who say the same thing!

If I came home from public school and said a tecaher abused me, my parents would believe it. If I complained about the attack therapy and humilation based treatment at TBS, I'd run into two issues. One, I could not put it in a letter or discuss it over the phone as these outlets were monitored in a locked room. Two, I was away from home in a place run by "experts." The isolation and distance worked in the staff's favor to manipulate familial relationships. It wasn't isolated because survivors all recognize the stock phrases and fear tactics. Even though I was not a drug addict, a criminal, or a runaway  - one way to keep parents invested in the program is "it's worse than you thought. She will be deadinsaneorinjail if you pull her out." Parents trust "the experts" - nevermind their BS Coastal college degree.

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
      « Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »
      I remember in daytop, if you complained to your parents about anything, you were pretty much dead meat, and you could be sure that the person would never do it again.

You could have spoken word for word truth.. even downplayed events.. even mentioned something only in passing.

You were labeled by the counselors, a spoiled dope fiene.  You would be brought up in front of the family, and given the third degree by other residents, and should you ever make any good points, the counselors would step in and lay the law down.( This shit was just an insult to anyoen with a brain in their head.  the questions and comments from the residents, could have been written by Danny.  These kids who now acted like authorities, had no clue what the fuck they were talking about.  the counselors didn t care though.  they were against the retractor, and that is all that mattered)   You were expected to be loyal to "the family", loyal to Daytop, way above friends and family, because you needed your sobriety, or you would end up dead or in jail.

But when you would really get it would be in the encounter groups.  The other kids would rip you apart, and you would break, and that would be it.  
      I ll tell you so many kids just never seen this shit coming.  They would be crushed, which is exactly what the counselors counted on.  You had to be crushed.  It couldn t  happen  again.

Paul