Author Topic: R.I. Dem: Obama can 'shove it'  (Read 879 times)

Offline heretik

• View Profile
R.I. Dem: Obama can 'shove it'
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39830360/ns ... ?GT1=43001

R.I. Dem: Obama can 'shove it' for not endorsing him. Boo Hoo!!!

Rival independent candidate gave Obama major endorsement in 2008 Advertisement | ad info
. Stew Milne  /  AP

The Associated Press  
updated 10/25/2010 9:24:14 AM ET 2010-10-25T13:24:14
Share Print Font: +-PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The Democratic candidate for Rhode Island governor is telling President Barack Obama to "shove it" after learning Obama would not endorse him.

Frank Caprio's campaign last week said he would welcome Obama's endorsement. But on Monday, the same day Obama was set to make his first visit to Rhode Island as president and a day after the White House said Obama would not endorse anyone, Caprio angrily told WPRO-AM that Obama can "take his endorsement and really shove it."

Caprio's independent opponent, Lincoln Chafee, a former Republican senator who served with Obama for two years, gave a high-profile endorsement to Obama ahead of the Democratic primary in 2008.

Obama is scheduled to visit a factory in Woonsocket and then attend two fundraisers in Providence for congressional candidates. Caprio had been invited to the tour and one of the fundraisers, but he indicated he would not attend after learning Sunday night that the White House publicly announced it would not endorse him.

"It's an agenda that they're driving," he said.

..The White House wouldn't comment on Caprio's remarks. Mike Trainor, Chafee's acting campaign manager, called the remarks unfortunate.

"The senator was shocked at how intemperate the remark was, especially with the president due to arrive in Rhode Island later today," Trainor said. "Perhaps the strain of the campaign is wearing on Treasurer Caprio."

Caprio and Chafee are locked in a four-way race to succeed term-limited Republican Gov. Don Carcieri, along with Republican John Robitaille and Moderate Party candidate Ken Block. There have been no reliable polls in the race.

Caprio also accused the president of "treating us like an ATM machine," and ignoring Rhode Island during springtime flooding that swept through the state. Though Obama did not visit himself, he sent cabinet secretaries, including Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

Caprio called Obama's decision "Washington insider politics at its worst" and accused Obama of plotting behind-the-scenes with Chafee to endorse the independent. Caprio spokesman Nick Hemond said he did not know what evidence Caprio had to back up his claim. Chafee has said he did not ask for Obama's endorsement.

Spokespeople for members of the Democratic congressional delegation did not immediately comment or did not immediately return requests for comment on Caprio's remarks. The head of the state Democratic Party also did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

But Giovanni Cicione, head of the state Republican Party, called Caprio's comments disrespectful and said Caprio's campaign was in "meltdown mode."

"To take that kind of an attitude in a public statement, I think was very disrespectful and I think it's a shame," he said. "It shows that he's not the sort of calm collected person he tried to present himself as."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »