Author Topic: Many Many Programs Abuse Kids  (Read 10445 times)

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
Many Many Programs Abuse Kids
« on: October 01, 2010, 06:55:08 PM »
I saw many terrible abuses while incarcerated at Straight inc in the 80's. It is my understanding that many of these same practices still exist in one form or another in programs that are currently operating. I want to invite victims of abuse to post something about abuse they personally endured or abuse they saw perpetrated on another inmate. Apparently there are people who don't believe abuse happens in these places. Feel free to tell them about it here.

Me first. While incarcerated at Straight inc I saw children denied the privlege of sleeping. Newcomers would be kept awake for days on end sometimes to break them down mentally and physically. Just one of many many abuses I witnessed firsthand while I was there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
Re: Many Many Programs Abuse Kids
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »
The 1980's was a long time ago. The program you said you were at has been closed a long time. A relic in an industry that has grown and changed, improved and matured. I would share my experience of abuse, or me witnessing it, but I never experienced or witnessed abuse in any way, shape, or form. I was in the program in the decade of the 2000's, so perhaps this is evidence that in the prior two decades programs had changed, and improved. Also when I discuss being at the program with people, nobody uses the term incarcerate, or ever refers to abuse. It is my understanding that most programs today are safe, and that is a great example of why most of the posters here claiming they were abused are from programs in the 1970's and 1980's.

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:29:11 PM »
I saw many kids denied proper food which lead to symptoms of malnutrition. It is my understanding that food deprivation is still a tactic used by abusive programs today. Seems things haven't really changed that much.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:48:24 PM »
1980:
Its a long time ago, no internet, no air bags, Ronald Reagan was still a Governor, Madonna was 22 years old.  Imagine someone talking to you in 1980 and telling you how things were 30 years ago in 1950.  You would say “Man you are old”  STFU, The world has changed, Dude.  Black people could not even vote then.

No offense Shaggys, its good that we all share our experiences but we should really be looking at the way programs are operating today.  Not 30 or 60 years ago.  Anne Boney was talking about kids having to eat rotten food.  Today they provide several menus depending on if you are Vegan, Vegetarian, Wheat allergies etc.  the food is good.  The staff is better trained, etc.

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:53:37 PM »
If what you say is true Whooter, then how do you explain situations like the Aaron Bacon tragedy?

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Today they provide several menus depending on if you are Vegan, Vegetarian, Wheat allergies etc.  the food is good.  

This is true, we were given the option of having a vegetarian meal. We got large portions and good food, the only complain I ever heard was from girls who were concerned they were gaining weight with all the good, and plentiful food that was served.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"
The 1980's was a long time ago. The program you said you were at has been closed a long time. A relic in an industry that has grown and changed, improved and matured.

I keep seeing you and Whooter saying that, but I'm astounded at the similarities to Straight of the kids who are posting about fairly recent incarceration in one program or another.

The basics haven't changed from what I keep hearing.  They've just changed their advertising, possibly using a PR firm or marketer to make it seem like it's not like it used to be.  That's what all those glossy brochures are about.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
Quote from: "shaggys"
If what you say is true Whooter, then how do you explain situations like the Aaron Bacon tragedy?

Its an event, Shaggys.  How do you explain the Columbine incident?  Does that represent all of public schools?

If there were alot of kids dying in wilderness each year then I would agree with you.  But there are not and we cannot take one event and hold it up as a standard or as something we should expect.

The industry has come a long way.

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
I was in a program in the 2000s, I didn't see any rotten food, or abuse going on. I didn't see anything that is described here by the old time straight survivors going on in the program I went to. Even though it has earned its own forum here, I saw nothing that could be called abuse by anyone's definition.  We were fed well, treated well and most kids there were grateful they had the opportunity to change and win back their family's trust. Instead of trying to portray your experience 30 years ago as comparable to today, you should listen to people like me who have been in the program relatively recently. Or Whooter who is the parent of a child in the program a lot more recently than you have been, you might learn something.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
The 1980's was a long time ago. The program you said you were at has been closed a long time. A relic in an industry that has grown and changed, improved and matured.

I keep seeing you and Whooter saying that, but I'm astounded at the similarities to Straight of the kids who are posting about fairly recent incarceration in one program or another.

The basics haven't changed from what I keep hearing.  They've just changed their advertising, possibly using a PR firm or marketer to make it seem like it's not like it used to be.  That's what all those glossy brochures are about.

But give credit where it is due, Anne.  You dont read about kids being forced to eat food which is rotting in todays programs.  I have mentioned the dietary menus they have today.  Why not recognize the advances.  Did kids get unmonitored phone calls in straight?  Go white water rafting?

I am sure there are similarities, but we need to recognize the differences also.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »
Quote from: "Joel"

Back on topic, there are still many problems with abusive restraints.  This is commonplace in wilderness camps like Eckerd and Three Springs.

But the programs are improving.  Maybe not fast enough for most people, but they are moving in the right direction.  Listen to the stories of the people from 1980 with the rotting food, cult like recruiting of entire families and neighbors.  Being driven around to sleep in other peoples homes.  Flapping their arms all day, wrapped up in duct tape and locked in cages at night and the lack of education.

The programs today are dramatically different.  Yes they are similar, like todays cars are similar to the model "T".  But we should look at how far they have come and recognize they are heading in the right direction.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »
Quote from: "Joel"
The topic is about programs abusing children, nothing else.  Your sarcasm will not be tolerated in this thread by anyone.  You can start your own thread about improvements in programs.  If you fail to comply with the laws you'll face the consequences.

Joel, easy does it, One day at a time, pal.  Programs have abused and helped. There are pieces to every pie.
Thanks
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 11:32:06 PM »

But give credit where it is due, Anne.  You dont read about kids being forced to eat food which is rotting in todays programs.

Yes I do.

I have mentioned the dietary menus they have today.  Why not recognize the advances.  Did kids get unmonitored phone calls in straight?  Go white water rafting?

No, there were no unmonitored phone calls in Straight......just as I've read here and other websites, recently.

I am sure there are similarities, but we need to recognize the differences also.

I'm seeing quite a few similarities.  Yes, there are some differences, but they're superficial.  The few important differences are basically the same, i.e. LGATs and tough 'love'.  Edited to add: That's what bothers me when I'm reading stories from other programs that could be written by me about Straight.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 07:18:15 AM »
If anything I tend to believe there are more kids abused by programs today than there were back in the 80s.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 07:28:11 AM »

But give credit where it is due, Anne.  You dont read about kids being forced to eat food which is rotting in todays programs.

Yes I do.

Which program?  I can tell you first hand several programs which do not.  Academy at Swift River, Aspen Ranch, SUWS  etc.  These place serve healthy food.  So we know for sure that improvements have occurred in the industry.

No, there were no unmonitored phone calls in Straight......just as I've read here and other websites, recently.
At ASR there are unmonitored phone calls, so we know that some programs have improved since straight, but maybe others still need to grow in that area.

I'm seeing quite a few similarities.  Yes, there are some differences, but they're superficial.  The few important differences are basically the same, i.e. LGATs and tough 'love'.  Edited to add: That's what bothers me when I'm reading stories from other programs that could be written by me about Straight.

So you consider unmonitored phone calls and healthy food superficial?  Then why do you keep saying you were given rotten food and denied phone access if you feel they are not important?