Author Topic: Bullying suicide rates on the rise  (Read 10455 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Bullying suicide rates on the rise
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:33:06 AM »
http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/02/anti-gay-bullying/

The reason I put this in the TTI forum is that it's exactly what programs that use LGATs do.  They bully kids who are gay, or goth, or different from what programs consider to be 'normal'.   That's what the "break them down, build them up" crap is.  They think they have to 'break' the kid of their abnormal thoughts and feelings, so they humiliate them.  It's the same things as the religious groups that think they can "cure" homosexuality.  Programs exist in order to mold kids into what their parents want them to be, not to help the kids grow into what they want to be.  God forbid a kid doesn't conform to the 'norm'.  It's almost like an exorcism.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: Bullying suicide rates on the rise
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »
Yeah, this is a disturbingly prevalent trend in our culture, and plenty of creeps who enjoy cashing in on this sort of bullying...

In the [ad-libbed] words of Caligula: If only all [programmies] had one neck...

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:17:50 PM by DannyB II »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline reformed12stepper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »
There has always been a higher rate of bullying amongst queer kids and a higher suicide rate. I am surprised that this is only an issue now. I once met an ex mormon guy when I was in NYC who had gone to one of those de gayification camps for like 6 months poor guy. He said that there were no kids there as you had to be an adult technically making the choice yourself. But by the same token he said most guys were still pretty young and really sincere in their religious faith mostly evangelical christian or mormon with the occasional token catholic. Mostly they did not want to dissapoint their families. He was 18 when he went. Some of the shit he described was pretty bizarre including being forced to rub up against each other and the older guy who ran it in  pretty erotic fashion. A lot of it sounded like being bullied. There was to be no music or popular culture and they were banned from wearing a long list of clothes. YThere was also heavy restriction on communication with the outside world.
When I got back here I discovered a couple of the evangelical churches here have "ex gay" ministries but they are a little more low key. Basically they meet up once or twice a week like a support group. Or some do a weekend retreat. Mainly just four or five lonely guys eating stale biscuits and being told by a kind but crazy middle aged lady who is usually called glenda or colleen to play more footy and listen to less techno. Apparently calling each other mate or dude also helps :eek: Id say it is equally useless and probably not any good for the self esteem of these guys but a little less humiliating and crushing. It is a strange world

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »
reformed12stepper wrote:
"It is a strange world"

It is indeed.
?©?€~¥@

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »
Quote from: "reformed12stepper"
There has always been a higher rate of bullying amongst queer kids and a higher suicide rate. I am surprised that this is only an issue now. I once met an ex mormon guy when I was in NYC who had gone to one of those de gayification camps for like 6 months poor guy. He said that there were no kids there as you had to be an adult technically making the choice yourself. But by the same token he said most guys were still pretty young and really sincere in their religious faith mostly evangelical christian or mormon with the occasional token catholic. Mostly they did not want to dissapoint their families. He was 18 when he went. Some of the shit he described was pretty bizarre including being forced to rub up against each other and the older guy who ran it in  pretty erotic fashion. A lot of it sounded like being bullied. There was to be no music or popular culture and they were banned from wearing a long list of clothes. YThere was also heavy restriction on communication with the outside world.
When I got back here I discovered a couple of the evangelical churches here have "ex gay" ministries but they are a little more low key. Basically they meet up once or twice a week like a support group. Or some do a weekend retreat. Mainly just four or five lonely guys eating stale biscuits and being told by a kind but crazy middle aged lady who is usually called glenda or colleen to play more footy and listen to less techno. Apparently calling each other mate or dude also helps :eek: Id say it is equally useless and probably not any good for the self esteem of these guys but a little less humiliating and crushing. It is a strange world

One more generation and gay will not even be an issue.  They are gaining acceptance (and equal footing) by leaps and bounds, even in the military.  For some reason sexual orientation doesn't seem to bother people as much as color or religious affiliation differences.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

One more generation and gay will not even be an issue.

I sure hope that's true.

They are gaining acceptance (and equal footing) by leaps and bounds, even in the military.

Except for that stupid DADT policy that could've been shut down recently, but congresscritters are cowards.

For some reason sexual orientation doesn't seem to bother people as much as color or religious affiliation differences.

I don't care about anyone's religious affiliation until they try and legislate according to it.  And of course the Jehovah Nitwits that wake me up on the weekends.  Sorry for the slur to any real JWs out there, but the door knocking really does piss me off.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Sorry for the slur to any real JWs out there, but the door knocking really does piss me off.

Crazy Mac used to keep a pair of long leather welding gloves by the door. When an evangelist or salesman would knock, he'd grab up those gloves and invite them along to feed the dogs.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 11:45:46 AM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
Sorry for the slur to any real JWs out there, but the door knocking really does piss me off.

Crazy Mac used to keep a pair of long leather welding gloves by the door. When an evangelist or salesman would knock, he'd grab up those gloves and invite them along to feed the dogs.

I've actually thought about inviting them in and debating them.  When I was a kid, a friend's mom did that and they walked out of the house two hours later absolutely stunned.  This lady knew her scripture well and the more she studied it, the more atheistic she got.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
And now, back to "Bullying suicide rates on the rise"

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"

I think LGATs rely on bullying to "help" people realize their "need to change".  The break them down, build them up crap.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
....but all of a sudden it seemed like we were talking about JHVH's witnesses or something?

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 01:32:53 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"

:rofl:
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline reformed12stepper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
One more generation and gay will not even be an issue.  They are gaining acceptance (and equal footing) by leaps and bounds, even in the military.  For some reason sexual orientation doesn't seem to bother people as much as color or religious affiliation differences.

On the whole I would agree with that. However in some communities, particularly religiously conservative ones, this is definitely not the case. For young people it is often difficult to remember that there is a much wider world than the one in front of you. And for many that world is pretty shit. It is also difficult for some gay people who are religious to deal with the continuous personal rejection because of feelings that do not go away.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"

I've actually thought about inviting them in and debating them.  When I was a kid, a friend's mom did that and they walked out of the house two hours later absolutely stunned.  This lady knew her scripture well and the more she studied it, the more atheistic she got.

Perhaps your friend's mum should have done what this guy did
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58wgn-9Y3c
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen