Author Topic: Bullying suicide rates on the rise  (Read 10648 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: Bullying suicide rates on the rise
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
Quote from: "SUCK_IT"
Gosh, everything you don't agree with has to be riduculed here.

Poe's law.  I honestly can't tell if you're serious or parodying pro-program people.  Case in point below.

We learned at the program about how being gay was a disease or sometimes just a choice in an otherwise normal person who had not yet accepted God or who was sinning.  The program was able to treat these problems.  When we had gay kids in our groups we would be told by the counselor to "run our anger" about how the gay kid was ruining his life and destroying his parents and we did.  We would help these gay kids by shouting at them and telling them to change and get honest so they could get away from being homosexual.  I have to admit that sometimes this was uncomfortable like when the kids would start to cry or something but we were told to keep at it until they learned that being gay was wrong and hurtful.  Eventually we would all be able to explain to them and get them to change but a lot of it was how the counselors facilitated this communication that made it so effective.  I think we all learned a lot from it.

And to the original point, it was therapeutic.

No, an entire group screaming at someone because they're gay is abusive.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
Not if they are able to stop being gay it's not.  I could see if you did it to a regular kid but if the kid is gay he knows already that there's something wrong with him and he just has to accept that his peers care so much that they are willing to yell at him to prove it.  It's like tough love kind of.
I\'m baaaack...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »
Not if they are able to stop being gay it's not.  I could see if you did it to a regular kid but if the kid is gay he knows already that there's something wrong with him and he just has to accept that his peers care so much that they are willing to yell at him to prove it.  It's like tough love kind of.

Poe's Law

Poe's Law points out that it is hard to tell parodies of fundamentalism (or, more generally, any crackpot theory) from the real thing, since they both seem equally insane. Conversely, real fundamentalism can easily be mistaken for a parody of fundamentalism. For example, some conservatives consider noted homophobe Fred Phelps to be so over-the-top that they argue he's a "deep cover liberal" trying to discredit more mainstream homophobes.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
This is just the Fornits mob mentality on display.  Fornits is so orthodoxed and rigid that it can't accept other people's opinions or experiences.
I\'m baaaack...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2010/ ... laws-lgbt/

In Need of Climate Change
Homophobia, not just bullying, is to blame for recent suicides

By Ryan M. Rossner
Published: Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Tyler Clementi, an 18-year old student at Rutgers University, apparently committed suicide two weeks ago after his roommate allegedly videotaped and streamed Clementi being romantically involved with another man. Less than a week later, Raymond Chase, aged 19, an openly gay sophomore at Johnson & Wales in Providence, Rhode Island reportedly hanged himself in his residence hall room. Campus Pride marked Chase as the fifth LGBT-related teenage suicide in the past three weeks. Indeed, these deaths are part of a tragic string of LGBT-related “bullycides” that have claimed the lives of several college, high school, and even elementary  school students, over the past year. News reporters, lawmakers, school administrators, and politicians are rightfully alarmed over these recent tragedies. However, their emphasis on “bullying” is mistaking the proximal cause for the true root of the problem. What our nation needs is not stricter bullying laws and enforcement but a cultural climate more tolerant of LGBT youth.

The emphasis that has been placed upon cyberbullying and bullying in the classroom oversimplifies the issues at hand. It is certainly true that harassment is an important issue for our society to grapple with, publically and legally. Whether online, in the workforce, or in the classroom, bullying is an incredibly damaging and harmful phenomenon. However, the response to the recent suicides myopically ignores the true cause of these incidents: intolerance of abnormality.

The truth is, bullies are not born, but created. It is our culture, our politics, and our laws that teach bullies that alternative sexualities and lifestyles are unnatural, immoral, and worthy of stigmatization. A survey in 2009 found that 85 percent of LGBT students report experiencing harassment at school. Another study estimated that almost a quarter of queer teenagers drop out of school because of harassment. Finally, queer teen suicide rates are four times those of their straight classmates. There is a reason why individuals with or perceived as having LGBT lifestyles are more at risk for being bullied—because bullies are taught that these people are inferior.

At this time, America needs to do more than merely tighten bullying laws and move on. Instead, it is time for politicians, reporters, teachers, school administrators, and religious leaders to realize that widespread cultural intolerance of LGBT identities has tangible effects on school climates and students. These teenagers are not merely victims of a few bullies from their school but victims of a political environment polluted by hazardous, hateful, and homophobic rhetoric.

There are some concrete steps toward remedying this problem. As of this June, only 17 states (and Washington D.C) have laws that address LGBT-related bullying and discrimination in elementary, middle, or high school. As of June 2009, at least 14 states still lack any hate-crime laws that protect LGBT identities. Elected officials still refuse to legalize same-sex marriage, “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” has yet to be repealed, and the Defense of Marriage Act continues to exist. Together, these homophobic laws and lack of proper legal protections send a message to the bullies and bullied of America that being gay is still not ok.

Indeed, what is really needed in response to the tragedies of the past week is climate change. We, as Harvard students and as Americans, need to create a more tolerant and welcoming climate for all students.

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 11:40:26 AM »
More liberal elitist crap from Harvard.  What LGBT kids need is a serious program designed to treat those issues and teach them how to make the choice to be straight.
I\'m baaaack...

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 12:19:01 PM »
This is just the Fornits mob mentality on display.  Fornits is so orthodoxed and rigid that it can't accept other people's opinions or experiences.

Yeah, Anna Banana wanted to impress us with her reading capability and comprehension.
Seriously, thanks for the work up on Poes Law, that was pretty good.
Gosh, sometimes I wish I had your job. You must come across in a average day some interesting articles.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

Yeah, Anna Banana wanted to impress us with her reading capability and comprehension.

Well, the topic was bullying and suicide, correct?  I ran across an article about bullying that ended with tragic consequences, so I posted it.  Crazy, I know.  ::)

You, OTOH, appear intent on trying to create another pissing match.  

Gosh, sometimes I wish I had your job.

You would first need to learn how to write in English properly.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Well, the topic was bullying and suicide, correct?  I ran across an article about bullying that ended with tragic consequences, so I posted it.  Crazy, I know.  ::)

Gosh, sometimes I wish I had your job.

You would first need to learn how to write in English properly.

Anne, stop acting like the selfish brat you have always been and take responsibility for your part in this pissing match. Your sarcastic big mouth I'm sure has gotten you into more trouble. We here on fornits have always had patience with you for this character flaw but it can be a bit much when you refuse to be held accountable for your actions.
Stop whining please. We (Max &  Danny) just don't agree with most of what you say and find you to be lacking in integrity in some of your posts.
Anne, you are constantly questioning are integrity, you don't hear us screaming.
We can be passionate when writing our posts as you can be at times.

Oh, BTW you don't work for FOX NEWS as a pundit, news anchor or journalists/reporter, so when you want to quote me, please quote my whole post and not excerpts that you can twist anyway you like.
Anne, that kind of quoting of another's post, could incite a pissing match.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
We here on fornits have always had patience with you for this character flaw but it can be a bit much when you refuse to be held accountable for your actions.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:

That one really did make me LOL.

Stop whining please. We (Max &  Danny) just don't agree with most of what you say and find you to be lacking in integrity in some of your posts.

And this matters to me.......why?

Oh, BTW you don't work for FOX NEWS as a pundit, news anchor or journalists/reporter, so when you want to quote me, please quote my whole post and not excerpts that you can twist anyway you like.
Anne, that kind of quoting of another's post, could incite a pissing match.

I'm not twisting it, I'm responding to the pertinent statements.  Occasionally I'll tweak it to make fun, but I make it pretty obvious so that it's apparent that it's a joke.  If you can't take that, then you're not the internet tough guy I thought you were.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 02:59:52 PM »
Anne wrote:
I'm not twisting it, I'm responding to the pertinent statements. Occasionally  I'll tweak it to make fun, but I make it pretty obvious so that it's apparent that it's a joke. If you can't take that, then you're not the internet tough guy I thought you were.

I, need "you" to stop saying this, "Internet Tuff Guy", it really was not me during that period of time. Oh, Yes, I had a few things to say but all in all it wasn't me. Now that does not mean I don't take responsibility for comments made under my username, I do. I am just not that tuff nor want to be, to old sister.
I only get tuff when I talk with Ginger and Ursus and then it is hard to maintain it.
I am just as sensitive as the next guy/gal.
Now, do I love to banter and debate, sure do. Usually like it with a slight sarcasm to it, like you do it. Love it.
I know, I am admitting to being a bit skewed.

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »
Anne wrote:
I'm not twisting it, I'm responding to the pertinent statements. Occasionally  I'll tweak it to make fun, but I make it pretty obvious so that it's apparent that it's a joke. If you can't take that, then you're not the internet tough guy I thought you were.

I, need "you" to stop saying this, "Internet Tuff Guy", it really was not me during that period of time. Oh, Yes, I had a few things to say but all in all it wasn't me. Now that does not mean I don't take responsibility for comments made under my username, I do. I am just not that tuff nor want to be, to old sister.
I only get tuff when I talk with Ginger and Ursus and then it is hard to maintain it.
I am just as sensitive as the next guy/gal.
Now, do I love to banter and debate, sure do. Usually like it with a slight sarcasm to it, like you do it. Love it.
I know, I am admitting to being a bit skewed.

Totally programmed, delusional, fucking whack-job is a far more accurate description
of you Danny B II.   :twofinger:

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »
Make of this as you will. Anybody know of the trevor project?
I'll start googling now. I just wanted to put this up here.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... -own-lives
?©?€~¥@

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:04 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"

Interesting link.  While I can't say that I support kids being gay - I certainly don't want them committing suicide because of it!  Hopefully this new initiative does some good for this particular group of at-risk kids.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »
Quote from: "Son Of Serbia"
Quote from: "none-ya"

Interesting link.  While I can't say that I support kids being gay - I certainly don't want them committing suicide because of it!  Hopefully this new initiative does some good for this particular group of at-risk kids.

What do you mean by support them?  Its not like they have a choice to be gay or not.