Author Topic: The Mormons are Coming ... to a theater near you!  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Mormons are Coming ... to a theater near you!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2003, 11:13:00 PM »

::soapbox:: "

Too Funny!!!!!   :nworthy:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline anon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2003, 11:30:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: imo on 2004-01-06 08:21 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2003, 11:35:00 PM »
Karen - remember "two wrongs don't make a right"

Sounds like you're having a "DEVIL" of a good time bashing whoever, or whatever, fits your rollercoaster mood swings.   :eek:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2003, 11:41:00 PM »
KarenZ wrote: "So - there my Mormon friend - I just bashed some Baptist for you."

Friend??  You bashed a Baptist for YOU and nobody else.  

Your son was "being indoctrinated into Mormonism" at Dundee?  I suppose if you heard it from your troubled son and other's it must be true? NOT!  :wstupid:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 12:55:00 AM »
KarenZ, it's me again the curious Mormon. What is WWASP?? I also wanted to answer your question about being forbidden to read things and will I and do I really want to know. Sure I do. I actually grew up Catholic and my whole family is Catholic. When I became an adult I decided I wanted to learn about all religions and see for myself what I beleived. I studied religion in school and attended different religious churches with some of my friends. I went to the Jewish temple and to several nondenominational churches, the Baptist church, the Lutheran Church, the Methodist church and some charasmatic church. I finally went to the Mormon church. It was weird, as soon as some of the people at the other churches I was going to found out I visited the Mormon church they gave me every pamphlet imaginable against the Mormon Church. It freaked me out. I read everything. I didn't understand why they didn't freak out about any other church. The Christians never said a thing about me going to the Jewish temple. Anyways, I obviously studied up prayed hard and the rest is history. I have always been kind of shocked when people say some other religion is evil and try to explain why and sound mad about it. That is why I asked if you had a bad experience with someone who was Mormon. I was just trying to understand why you wrote what you did. I guess I am lucky that I grew up in a family that has religious tolerance. My parents come to church with my family when my daughter sings and we go to their church when my Dad speaks. They are very Catholic and we are very Mormon.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2003, 01:21:00 AM »
On 2003-10-02 21:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"KarenZ, it's me again the curious Mormon. What is WWASP?? I also wanted to answer your question about being forbidden to read things and will I and do I really want to know. Sure I do. I actually grew up Catholic and my whole family is Catholic. When I became an adult I decided I wanted to learn about all religions and see for myself what I beleived. I studied religion in school and attended different religious churches with some of my friends. I went to the Jewish temple and to several nondenominational churches, the Baptist church, the Lutheran Church, the Methodist church and some charasmatic church. I finally went to the Mormon church. It was weird, as soon as some of the people at the other churches I was going to found out I visited the Mormon church they gave me every pamphlet imaginable against the Mormon Church. It freaked me out. I read everything. I didn't understand why they didn't freak out about any other church. The Christians never said a thing about me going to the Jewish temple. Anyways, I obviously studied up prayed hard and the rest is history. I have always been kind of shocked when people say some other religion is evil and try to explain why and sound mad about it. That is why I asked if you had a bad experience with someone who was Mormon. I was just trying to understand why you wrote what you did. I guess I am lucky that I grew up in a family that has religious tolerance. My parents come to church with my family when my daughter sings and we go to their church when my Dad speaks. They are very Catholic and we are very Mormon."

There was an article in People magazine last week about this renegade Mormon group in Arizona still practicing plural marriages.  What kind of lunacy is this, little girls marrying men old enough to be their father?  Thank God the governor and attorney general in Utah is actively trying to stop this by prosecuting the perps in their own state (and Arizona) but let's face it, this is the kind of victimization and exploitation that
can rightfully be considered as the work of the DEVIL, himself.

:flame:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2003, 01:34:00 AM »
Those people might call themselves Mormons but they are not. They are not recognized by the church as Mormon's either. They can call themselves whatever they want but clearly anyone who does anything like that is evil. I agree. It is hard for me to think of anything worse than hurting an innocent child like that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2003, 01:55:00 AM »
Here's an excerpt from the article in PEOPLE magazine.  Be sure and click on the link if you are interested in learning more or would like to help in some way.  As I recall, Colorado City is on the border of Arizona and Southern Utah.

Issue dated October 6, 2003

? In God's Name
After years of neglect, the law takes a hard look at Colorado City, Ariz., a sect-run town where old men marry teenage girls, TV is banned, and polygamy runs rampant. To find out more about Colorado City, and the plight of the women who live there, go to the site for the organization, Help the Child Brides.

http://www.helpthechildbrides.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2003, 02:09:00 AM »
Let the law and government take care of the abusers. Or find where those that got away are, and help them build a new life as "real" Mormons.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2003, 02:16:00 AM »
Anybody that is interested in the Mormon religion, and specifically the plight of the CHILD BRIDES, should read this just-published book called UNDER THE BANNER OF HEAVEN: A STORY OF VIOLENT FAITH by Jon Krakauer. Here is a review from Amazon that more or less captures the essence of the book.  

Reviewer: colts_19 (see more about me) from Roseville, CA United States  
I have always enjoyed Krakauer's work, especially Into the Wild, which is the tragic story about a young man who loses himself in trying to become another Thoreau, another Tolstoy. Krakauer takes on a much more vast subject area: Religious fanaticism in general, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints specifically. Krakauer brings his usual writing prowess to the story to make it an engrossing study of America's homegrown religion with disturbing parallels between the religion's past and present and ultimately makes it plainly obvious that the Fundamentalist offshoots of Mormonism are closer to Joseph Smith's own dream for the religion. This granted, where does that leave the current Mormon church?

Some Mormons might flinch at the parallels that are drawn here. But Krakauer repeatedly states that he is not a Christian with a vendetta, but an agnostic who studied historical documents and drew parallels in a journalistic manner. His book is evenhanded in the sense that he seems to think that Mormons are good people, the 'salt of the earth', but he has uncovered some very unsettling information that must be heard. I can understand why a Mormon would cringe after reading some of the book, but nevertheless Krakauer is supported by plenty of documentation.

Basically, the narrative is told in three intersecting stories. The first has to to with the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the lives they lead inside large cities dominated by patriarchs who usually have in excess of seventy wives. Next is the story of the violent formation of the Mormon Church in the mid-nineteenth century, where we are introduced to such Mormon immortals as Joseph Smith and his first wife, Emma, Brigham Young, John Taylor, and others who formed the church. This part is meticulously researched and has a few facts that throw doubt onto some church doctrines, notably the infamous prophecy that authorized polygamy by noting that Smith was a womanizer that had been accused of having illicit affairs with pubescent girls. This is also the tale of a scorned group of misfits who were attacked at nearly every place they settled, people who come across as very sympathetic. Finally, the third is about two brothers, Ron and Dan Lafferty, who embraced the Fundamentalist values preached by Joseph Smith but deprecated by the modern LDS church. Especially haunting are the interviews with Dan Lafferty, a very rational man who has no remorse for what he has done. When Ron thinks that God tells him to kill his sister-in-law and Dan goes along with it, they end up showing the depths that such fanaticism can go. In a world that seems to be filling up with these kinds of people, it is important to note how this sort or mind works.

In short, this is a multilayered, complex look at the country's fastest-growing religion. It is also a harrowing journey into the darkest depths of the human soul. Regardless of your religion, this is a cautionary tale of what happens when ideas like Fundamentalism can take over someone's mind.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2003, 02:30:00 AM »
Yes, one man's opinion. His interpretation of things. Just because he wrote it, that doesn't mean it's the truth. It is better to study things yourself than to go on someone elses intrepretation. Hey, why not go visit the church yourself. Visitors are welcome anytime!!! :wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2003, 02:35:00 AM »
Another book just released:

KEYSTONE OF MORMONISM

To read excerpts, click here:

http://www.keystonebooks.com/?source=adwords

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2003, 02:38:00 AM »
On 2003-10-02 23:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Another book just released:

KEYSTONE OF MORMONISM

To read excerpts, click here:

http://www.keystonebooks.com/?source=adwords"

Here is a brief summary of what the book is about.

"The Keystone of Mormonism is a definitive analysis of The Book of Mormon. It is scholarly and yet surprisingly readable. More than 600 references present convincing evidence that The Book of Mormon is not ancient American history but nineteenth century fiction. The Keystone of Mormonism also contains a personal account of the author's struggle to overcome his childhood indoctrination and to resist powerful social pressures for him to remain loyal to Mormonism".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2003, 02:49:00 AM »
Hi Mormon Anon - You had asked who WWASPS is.  Acronym for the Worldwide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools.  They oversee privately owned results based behavior modification programs.  Nice to see you haven't been poisoned by the press or this board, at least not yet!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2003, 03:25:00 AM »
On 2003-10-02 23:49:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hi Mormon Anon - You had asked who WWASPS is.  Acronym for the Worldwide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools.  They oversee privately owned results based behavior modification programs.  Nice to see you haven't been poisoned by the press or this board, at least not yet!  "

To the anon Mormons:

Personally, I think it is important to understand the influence of Mormonism upon the owners and operators of these programs for troubled teens, so many of which are based in Utah.  Hopefully, this thread will evolve into an honest, open discussion that helps to broaden awareness while at the same time encouraging tolerance for different opinions and points-of-view.