Author Topic: Name One Good Program  (Read 8630 times)

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Name One Good Program
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »
Now let's get back to the question I posed as we really need to make a list

Quote from: "shaggys"
Quote from: "Botched Programming"
Hey guys we keep running round and round and getting nowhere with the battle of programs are bad, let's give Who, Max, and Danny the opportunity to tell us which programs are good since they are stuck on the one track.

I think this is a reasonable request from Botched. I would like to see the list of specific programs which come so highly reccomended here. Names, address and phone # would be helpful. We can start with the program which maximillian/suck it attended. thanks.   :rocker:

I agree with what Shaggy's said.. I made a reasonable request and "Who" you danced around the question... Name the good programs...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Dead, insane, or in jail
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »

I agree with what Shaggy's said.. I made a reasonable request and "Who" you danced around the question... Name the good programs...

We have tried this in the past with mixed results.  I think for starters "Academy at Swift River" would be considered a good program.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Re: Name One Good Program
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
I once met a young man who introduced himself as Swift River Dan. He wanted to talk to me about my perspective as a program parent. I don't like speaking for others for risk of putting words in their mouth they may not have intended; but I will say I got the strong impression he was very angry with his parents for the experience.  He did not consider it "good". In his clearly stated opinion, based on his experience, It was abusive and traumatizing. In other words, depressingly typical.

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »
There are at least hundreds of various types of treatment programs out there, fornits tends to focus on about a dozen or so. Fornits seems to ignores the rest of them, and tries to generalize an entire industry based on the worst case examples. So coming up with a list of good programs would be a very long list, indeed. I've been to good treatment programs, I was not abused or mistreated. But the real question is how the posters here can prove that all programs are abusive, just because an individual person had a negative experience doesn't mean everybody else did. Fornits only has a relatively small amount of posters compared to the number who attended programs. Most kids go through it and do fine, the one's who don't end up here complaining about it, which isn't very many.

So the real question isn't about naming good programs, that is easy, because it's almost all of them. But I'll wait here for the people claiming all programs are abusive to come up with some kind of proof of that statement. There are a lot of programs open right now with kids in them and nobody here on fornits ever heard of, and I'm not going to start naming names of these programs so the extremists here can start stalking the staff at them, or hacking their websites and all the things fornits extremists like to do. Programs work and parents continue to use them, despite fornits posters complaining about them on this forum. Arguing with me or anyone else here isn't going to stop a parent from using a program. If you want to do something about it you probably should do something other than demanding proof that programs are good, and start coming up with your own proof why programs are bad. Otherwise you're just wasting your time, because a sob story about how you couldn't make it through a program isn't really that convincing to most parents.

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »
So Whooter highly recomends the Academy at Swift River huh? Well it took a 10 second google search to uncover the troubling history of this place. Allegations of abuse from students, parents and ex-employees are plentiful. State investigations of this place prompted by concerns of brainwashing and abuse. Yeah this is where you want to send your child. How disturbing that Whooter would choose this place to give his "thumbs up" to.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »
Quote from: "BuzzKill"
I once met a young man who introduced himself as Swift River Dan. He wanted to talk to me about my perspective as a program parent. I don't like speaking for others for risk of putting words in their mouth they may not have intended; but I will say I got the strong impression he was very angry with his parents for the experience.  He did not consider it "good". In his clearly stated opinion, based on his experience, It was abusive and traumatizing. In other words, depressingly typical.

I think you will see this in most schools of learning.  There will always be kids who did well and liked it and those who dreaded their experience.  Unfortunately sometimes kids get paired off with a counselor who they dont get along with or one who is on a power trip and this can negatively impact their experience.

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"
There are at least hundreds of various types of treatment programs out there, fornits tends to focus on about a dozen or so. Fornits seems to ignores the rest of them, and tries to generalize an entire industry based on the worst case examples. So coming up with a list of good programs would be a very long list, indeed. I've been to good treatment programs, I was not abused or mistreated. But the real question is how the posters here can prove that all programs are abusive, just because an individual person had a negative experience doesn't mean everybody else did. Fornits only has a relatively small amount of posters compared to the number who attended programs. Most kids go through it and do fine, the one's who don't end up here complaining about it, which isn't very many.

"I didn't find fornits until 25 years after I got out of the program.  It sometimes takes years, or even decades, to get on your feet after going through that.  There might be a WHOLE LOT more of us soon."

So the real question isn't about naming good programs, that is easy, because it's almost all of them. But I'll wait here for the people claiming all programs are abusive to come up with some kind of proof of that statement. There are a lot of programs open right now with kids in them and nobody here on fornits ever heard of, and I'm not going to start naming names of these programs so the extremists here can start stalking the staff at them, or hacking their websites and all the things fornits extremists like to do. Programs work and parents continue to use them, despite fornits posters complaining about them on this forum. Arguing with me or anyone else here isn't going to stop a parent from using a program. If you want to do something about it you probably should do something other than demanding proof that programs are good, and start coming up with your own proof why programs are bad. Otherwise you're just wasting your time, because a sob story about how you couldn't make it through a program isn't really that convincing to most parents.

Saying that we couldn't make it through a program implies that we WANTED to make it through a program.  I never did.  Not once in the whole five months I was there.  I did not want or need what they were selling.  Them forcing it on me anyway caused me profound emotional trauma at a very sensitive age and almost certainly hindered my ability to develop into a healthy adult.

• View Profile
Re: Dead, insane, or in jail
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

We have tried this in the past with mixed results.  I think for starters "Academy at Swift River" would be considered a good program.

OK... We have one program... Come on people let's make the list of good programs. Can you think if any others ???

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
So the real question isn't about naming good programs, that is easy, because it's almost all of them.

No...that was my question, to name the good ones

There are a lot of programs open right now with kids in them and nobody here on fornits ever heard of, and I'm not going to start naming names of these programs so the extremists here can start stalking the staff at them, or hacking their websites and all the things fornits extremists like to do.

And here we have a conspiracy theory..... LOL

If you want to do something about it you probably should do something other than demanding proof that programs are good, and start coming up with your own proof why programs are bad.

We have proven there are bad prgrams, now the burdon of proof is on you to show us the good ones.

Otherwise you're just wasting your time, because a sob story about how you couldn't make it through a program isn't really that convincing to most parents.

Here is a personal attack on me not even on the topic of discussion...

P.S. I am sorry if it makes you uncomfortable to name the good programs, maybe because you can't, there's not any !!!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »
We have shown that there are good and bad programs.

The key is to match a childs needs to a program in which he or she will be successful.  Even in the best program if the child digs in his/her heels and doesnt apply themselves then they will be unsuccessful and end up here on forints blaming the program and his/her parents for their lifes outcome and lost opportunities.

There are occasions where the child is mismatched and the program is not effective but this is typically noticed early on and the program recommends that the child leave the program and try a new approach.  The last thing a program wants is to have an unsuccessful child pass through their system.  Public school systems dont mind but programs depend on word of mouth to keep them growing.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 03:00:16 PM »

The key is to match a childs needs to a program in which he or she will be successful.  Even in the best program if the child digs in his/her heels and doesnt apply themselves then they will be unsuccessful and end up here on forints blaming the program and his/her parents for their lifes outcome and lost opportunities.

There are occasions where the child is mismatched and the program is not effective but this is typically noticed early on and the program recommends that the child leave the program and try a new approach.  The last thing a program wants is to have an unsuccessful child pass through their system.  Public school systems dont mind but programs depend on word of mouth to keep them growing.

This is still dodging the questions... Names of good programs is what we want !!!

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
I must request that the topic of this thread be honored. Who/Max?Suckit need to name the excellent programs which they endorse. The first one named has already had numerous abuse problems so please name another. This time try to pick one that hasn't already chalked up an abuse record. We are waiting.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »

This is still dodging the questions... Names of good programs is what we want !!!

I dont think you will get much of a response here on fornits, Botched, and I dont think anyone wants to take the time to type out the 500 to 700 programs you are looking for.  An easier way is to name the handful that are mentioned here on fornits that have been shown to be ineffective.

Its like saying name all the high schools which did not experience mass murder (or multiple) killings.  Its easier to list Columbine high school and the few others then type out the thousands of schools which did not have a problem.  Do you see what I mean?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:42:06 PM by Whooter »

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »
Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:36:40 PM by Joel »

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »

I dont think you will get much of a response here on fornits, Botched, and I dont think anyone wants to take the time to type out the 500 to 700 programs you are looking for.  An easier way is to name the handful that are mentioned here on fornits that have been shown to be ineffective.

Its like saying name all the high schools which did not experience mass murder (or multiple) killings.  Its easier to list Columbine high school and the few others then type out the thousands of schools which did not have a problem.  Do you see what I mean?

Just admit you cant list any good ones and be done !!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:31:04 PM by Botched Programming »