Heroin
5 (7.9%)
Oxycontin
5 (7.9%)
NONE THEY SHOULD REMAIN ILLEGAL
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 14, 2010, 01:46:56 PM

Author Topic: What illegal drugs would you legalize?  (Read 14575 times)

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
What illegal drugs would you legalize?
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:46:56 PM »
Do you agree with current US government policy that makes certain substances illegal? Why or why not?

If you were allowed to decide for the entire country, which drugs would be legal to market and sell, and which would remain prohibited and punishable, which drugs would you choose? You can vote for as many of the options as you want in this poll.

Feel free to provide an explanation if you wish. Would you have regulations or just allow them to be sold at the local grocery store? Would you allow people to buy prescription medications without consulting a doctor, like you can buy herbal and dietary supplements?

Thanks for taking the time to vote.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: What illegal drugs would you legalize?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
Is it just me, or do all these threads by Max...

What illegal drugs would you legalize?

Do you believe in God?

How do you feel towards your parents?

Is Jail better than a program?

The Parents Side of the Story

seem like some desperate attempt to explain why so many of "us" aren't grateful for what was done "for" us?  Kinda like the 'disgruntled druggie' thing we've all dealt with?  We're either heathens, drug abusers, parent haters, deadbeats or just ungrateful little brats.  Amirite?

It's probably just me.  

:feedtrolls:   (yeah, yeah...I know...I do it all the time.  I'm looking for a 12 step group to help me out with it  :seg: )

But, to stay on the thread topic - I'll let Law Enforcement Against Prohibition speak for me.  They say it better than I ever could and they have lots of fancy statistics and sources that would take too much time to copy/paste here.

http://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
I bet people will be pleased they no longer have to decide what is worthy of discussion, for themselves. The great Anne Bonney has made that decision for them.

You're reading too much into things, I start discussions because I don't want to talk about Whooter and Muslims all the time. But don't let me stand in the way of your conspiracies, I know people really enjoy them here.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"
I bet people will be pleased they no longer have to decide what is worthy of discussion, for themselves. The great Anne Bonney has made that decision for them.

No, I posed a question.

You're reading too much into things, I start discussions because I don't want to talk about Whooter and Muslims all the time. But don't let me stand in the way of your conspiracies, I know people really enjoy them here.

Ok, thanks.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 02:36:07 PM »
You're welcome, and thanks for posting, and hopefully voting.

Just a reminder to people, you can vote for as many options as you wish.

I voted for Marijuana and Magic Mushrooms. I think by legalizing those a lot of wasted time by law enforcement could be avoided, and I think these are both generally safer than alcohol, as far as physical effects and addiction is concerned. I also believe magic mushrooms can be used for spiritual journeys, which I think can help people. I am also tempted to vote for Ecstacy since it seems to be able to help people, I've read articles about how it helps people in therapy, or when they are dying to accept it. So that should probably be legal too.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »
Weed.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Weed.

I didn't realize you favored legalization of pot.  Huh.  Learn something new every day.

Personally I favor the legalization of all substances.

Reason 1: It's not the government's business what you put in your body.  You own your own body.

Reason 2: Legal drugs would eliminate the violent and bloody black market trade.

Reason 3: For the children! Legal drugs would be harder for kids to get.  Right now, according to surveys of high schoolers, it's easier to get illegal substances than it is to get alcohol.

Reason 4: Legal drugs would be safer.  If manufacturers were liable for their products, they would make sure that their heroin, for example, was pure and uncut.  Most Heroin "overdoses" are actually poisonings or allergic reactions (to quinine, for example).  Before Heroin was illegal, overdoses were almost unheard of, despite it's potency being approximately 40 times what it is today.

Reason 5: Legal drugs would be cheaper. It would be less likely for people to turn to crime to support their bad habits if the price was not so high.

Reason 6: Many drugs that are prohibited now, such as Marijuana or Ibogaine, can actually be used to treat addictions to harder substances.

Reason 7: The money saved on drug war could reduce taxes or be spent on things which actually help the people.

I can go on and on.  There is very little positive benefit to the drug war.  Where is demand there will be supply, period.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 05:30:33 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Weed.

I didn't realize you favored legalization of pot.  Huh.  Learn something new every day.

Personally I favor the legalization of all substances.

Reason 1: It's not the government's business what you put in your body.  You own your own body.

Reason 2: Legal drugs would eliminate the violent and bloody black market trade.

Reason 3: For the children! Legal drugs would be harder for kids to get.  Right now, according to surveys of high schoolers, it's easier to get illegal substances than it is to get alcohol.

Reason 4: Legal drugs would be safer.  If manufacturers were liable for their products, they would make sure that their heroin, for example, was pure and uncut.  Most Heroin "overdoses" are actually poisonings or allergic reactions (to quinine, for example).  Before Heroin was illegal, overdoses were almost unheard of, despite it's potency being approximately 40 times what it is today.

Reason 5: Legal drugs would be cheaper. It would be less likely for people to turn to crime to support their bad habits if the price was not so high.

Reason 6: Many drugs that are prohibited now, such as Marijuana or Ibogaine, can actually be used to treat addictions to harder substances.

Reason 7: The money saved on drug war could reduce taxes or be spent on things which actually help the people.

I can go on and on.  There is very little positive benefit to the drug war.  Where is demand there will be supply, period.

I think part of the lure and fun when I was a teenager was that it was taboo and it separated me from my parents.  I would like to see some data before I would vote for just opening up the flood gates and legalizing “everything”.  But at least pot could be legalized right now.  But I agree with your points.  I would like to see it legalized if for any other reason so I could have access to some better stuff.  Contacts are very limited when you hit my age.

A believe a couple of glasses of red wine and a little weed every night will add ten years to your life over the long haul.

I definitely agree with the whole supply and demand.  The war on drugs has proven that economic theory.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »
I think part of the lure and fun when I was a teenager was that it was taboo and it separated me from my parents.  I would like to see some data before I would vote for just opening up the flood gates and legalizing “everything”.

Ok.  Here is a survey showing drug availability to teens.

Another thing...

Reason 8: Legal drugs would not cause an increase in hard drug usage.

But at least pot could be legalized right now.  But I agree with your points.  I would like to see it legalized if for any other reason so I could have access to some better stuff.  Contacts are very limited when you hit my age.  A believe a couple of glasses of red wine and a little weed every night will add ten years to your life over the long haul.
:eek:

I'm adding this to my list of "100 things I never expected Whooter to say".  So far i'm at two.  This, and the earlier comment that Lichfield should be hung.

I definitely agree with the whole supply and demand.  The war on drugs has proven that economic theory.

Well that's really the key issue.  If a war cannot be won, there is really no point to continuing, especially since so much can potentially be gained by compromise.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »
I thought you would have known I smoked by my earlier life protesting and going to concerts in the early 70’s.  I spent so much time sleeping in the streets around the spectrum in Philadelphia waiting for the ticket offices to open up that the homeless and I started to recognize and nod to each other.  Ticket-tron was just getting started and they were only given a limited number of tickets to sell, so the only guarantee was the ticket office.  Besides many other things I was a concert junkie.

A funny story is I saved about $200 working all summer in highschool (for one of my dads companies) and then a friend and I went in halves on some Brown organic Mescaline.  I put in $100, spent one night breaking it down into hits, put the word out and made $700 in 2 weeks and we barely cut it down.  That was a lot of money then.

I didn’t have the stomach for it though, it would have devastated my parents if I had gotten busted and had my name put in the paper for dealing drugs.

I would never do that stuff (mescaline) now nor would I sell.

Thanks for the links.  My gut feel was that legalizing everything would not be successful because things didn’t seem to be going so well in Amsterdam.  But I never really investigated the details as to why.  But I do believe that if it were all legalized tomorrow there would not be a surge in demand but the quality would increase due to competition and rating requirements.  Maybe even get a slot in Consumer reports! Lol.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:36:04 PM by Whooter »

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I vote legalize for many reasons, but I think Big Pharma would take over, market the benefits of previously illegal drugs and it would end up a corporate racket.  

I say, grow your own.  

Tweakers drive me insane, and I wouldn't mind if they all found their own private Idaho somewhere. I would rather deal with anyone under any influence almost, than meth.  Yes, I know that it is a Queen Bitch thing to say. There is possibly nothing more disturbing than a meth addict in the drug realm.

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »
Canada is planning to decriminalize marijuana.....Senate says marijuana is not a gateway drug.

http://canadaonline.about.com/library/issues/blimj.htm

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
I vote legalize for many reasons, but I think Big Pharma would take over, market the benefits of previously illegal drugs and it would end up a corporate racket.  

I say, grow your own.  

Tweakers drive me insane, and I wouldn't mind if they all found their own private Idaho somewhere. I would rather deal with anyone under any influence almost, than meth.  Yes, I know that it is a Queen Bitch thing to say. There is possibly nothing more disturbing than a meth addict in the drug realm.

I believe Big Pharm would take over the synthetic stuff but the organics would be like little local micro breweries.  We would all be exposed to the best pot available.  Whole Foods would open up a new section which is humidity controlled along with a employee trained in cultivation, "potency scales" and curing to protect it package it and answer questions.

JOB, Chills Alien, smoking green and Americana would once again regain their proper place at the register.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 08:54:34 AM »
Weed and Mushrooms are all natural and should not even be classified as drugs any more than Brocolli or Cabbage.
I do not think it is a crime to "pick yer poison" either.
I can honestly say that the drugs forced on me by Psychiatry are far worse than any street drug I have ever done.
I also like the whole freedom of choice concept.
A lot of Doctors will say "do our drugs not yours"....it's all ::fullofshit::
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
:eek:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:22:37 PM by Eliscu2 »
WELCOME TO HELL!