Author Topic: The Parents Side of the Story  (Read 8504 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: The Parents Side of the Story
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
Quote from: "Troll Control"
Aspen Education's Mount Bachelor Academy was shut down just a few months ago for LGATs, child abuse, child neglect and ritualized sexual abuse.  That's pretty much how Straight operated.  Aspen Education programs still operate on those premeses today (the ones not shut down yet by authorities, that is).

Did this not all come to a head a couple of years ago with MBA. They closed down last year I thought.
Anyway I was under the believe LGAT's were a thing of the past, especially the intense ones.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

Anne, why are you talking like this is still going on in programs, today. Were both reading the same articles coming out today and reading the posts here, I have not seen the comparison of what Straight subjected you to as what current children are going through today.
Am I wrong????

IMO, yes......you are.

I am not trying to convince you that the current programs should meet your expectations but I had thought they had steered away from LGAT's and so forth over the last 4-5 years. I base this on reading posts here and on other sites.

They've been saying that since the days of Seed and Straight.  "The next one will be better!  The next one won't use XXX as treatment!  The next one will be kinder and gentler!"  Most of what I read, currently, about programs tells me that they're still using LGAT-type, attack/confrontational methods. They're just doing what they've always done and switching names, places etc.  

Why anyone thinks that using that (LGAT-type, attack/confrontational methods) on someone who is "troubled" or is having self esteem issues, or really "issues" of any kind is beyond me.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
Programs, schmo-grams. Most of them are nothing but a fat load o'bullshit. (Sure I guess there are a few exceptions.) The system is set up to profit from people's misery, and they get you coming and going. Who the hell has time in their life for programs, anyway? Fools and people with money to burn.

Sure, you gotta have some way for the hardcore heroin, crack and meth addicts to detox, but no forcing anyone into anything.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
Programs, schmo-grams. Most of them are nothing but a fat load o'bullshit. (Sure I guess there are a few exceptions.) The system is set up to profit from people's misery, and they get you coming and going. Who the hell has time in their life for programs, anyway? Fools and people with money to burn.

Sure, you gotta have some way for the hardcore heroin, crack and meth addicts to detox, but no forcing anyone into anything.

Frodie I'm with you, I was a heroin addict and boozer (plus a criminal) I went to drug rehabs that used LGAT's to change your image, it was all about image in the 70's, remember. Your attitude had better change, Bennison. "Change your Image Change your Life". We used shaved heads, signs, outfits, screaming and hollering, then Elan brought in the violent aspect. Fuck I hated that, scared the shit out of everyone. Literally had peoples pissing their pants at the tables wondering what was coming next.
Got to take care of the addicts though, short term treatment, then place them in a structured 3/4 house so they can begin their life again.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:44 PM »
And you buy into that garbage?

Offline Bandit73

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2010, 12:35:47 PM »
I'm 37, but I'm through giving a shit what the parents' side of the story is. Unless they're anti-program.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
Exactly,Bandit.

I do get the desperation though, when you have a challenging kid.

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Quote from: "Froderik"

Frodie I'm with you, I was a heroin addict and boozer (plus a criminal) I went to drug rehabs that used LGAT's to change your image, it was all about image in the 70's, remember. Your attitude had better change, Bennison. "Change your Image Change your Life". We used shaved heads, signs, outfits, screaming and hollering, then Elan brought in the violent aspect. Fuck I hated that, scared the shit out of everyone. Literally had peoples pissing their pants at the tables wondering what was coming next.
Got to take care of the addicts though, short term treatment, then place them in a structured 3/4 house so they can begin their life again.
Danny I am having a hard time invisioning you like that. You just seem like the kind of cheerful sweet guy. Idk but visioning you like that just is hard for me
"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle."
Kahlil Gibran