Author Topic: More Zero Tolerance Fun  (Read 6836 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: More Zero Tolerance Fun
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Oh Ursus....you and your silly facts. :deal:
Sorry, Madam... I just can't help me self!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Well then, stop yaking and post it. I don't care.

There ya go Shaggs.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »
Ursus wrote:
She cried foul because the punishment did not fit the crime. This was a kid that was in kindergarten, with possibly no prior experience in dealing with the bureaucratic rigamarole of a school system, 'bout a mere month after school started.

The school has a certain amount of discretion at its disposal, in choosing how they're gonna handle each case. The article even mentioned the Colorado state law which "gives school districts discretion over which incidents to administer punishment instead of mandatory expulsion or suspension."

This school clearly chose not to exercise any such discretion when it came to Anthony Saenz and his nerf gun.

Ursus, this is going to have to be one of those time I agree to disagree with you. There is no way schools are going to budge on this and I would hope they don't.
I will say this, I do feel for Anthony. Like I said he probably was just bringing the toy gun to school to show off, I hope so.
His mother will have to step up and explain to him what is going on. It is not the end of the world, his teacher can also help the situation by explaining also. If they can work in tandem with him his transition back into school will be less stigmatic.

There was a article I posted a few months back about (4) second graders who were arrested at school (handcuffed and taken away in a patty wagon) for threatening their teacher with toy guns and foul language. I understand this is different and a little older but not by much, 2 years.
Guns of any kind can not be tolerated in schools.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
She cried foul because the punishment did not fit the crime. This was a kid that was in kindergarten, with possibly no prior experience in dealing with the bureaucratic rigamarole of a school system, 'bout a mere month after school started.

The school has a certain amount of discretion at its disposal, in choosing how they're gonna handle each case. The article even mentioned the Colorado state law which "gives school districts discretion over which incidents to administer punishment instead of mandatory expulsion or suspension."

This school clearly chose not to exercise any such discretion when it came to Anthony Saenz and his nerf gun.

But we really dont have the full story.  The school can use discretion but they chose not to.  There may be a reason why?  Maybe these parents just dump their child into the school system everyday in disregard of the rules.  She shows up late to pick her child up, never bothers to send in a snack or change of clothes as requested.  maybe she doesn't respond to the many notes they sent home reminding her that her child needs to wear sneakers on Thursday for Gym.  Maybe the child uses four letter words in class and the parents have been asked to address the issue and they refuse.  Maybe the parents respond back to the school that she pays her taxes and therefore the school system needs to take her child everyday until June.  Maybe the parents are not engaged in this child life and the school decided to send a message to her to pay attention to her child and not use the discretion at their disposal.

There could be many reasons.  I dont particularly like the public school system but I recognize that they have a difficult job to do dealing with these parents.  We dont have the whole story.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
Like I said he probably was just bringing the toy gun to school to show off, I hope so.

What the hell else do you think he was gonna do with it?  Kill someone?  My god, we're talking about a six year old with a friggin' Nerf gun.  It's not a bazooka.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
Ursus wrote:

Anne wrote:
Oh Ursus....you and your silly facts.   :deal:

Oh, so because the school did not make a discretionary decision you both liked, you scream foul. What silly facts does he have that nobody else has.
Thank God neither of you are in charge of children at a school.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 05:47:51 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Like I said he probably was just bringing the toy gun to school to show off, I hope so.

What the hell else do you think he was gonna do with it?  Kill someone?  My god, we're talking about a six year old with a friggin' Nerf gun.  It's not a bazooka.

Maybe what has not come out is, Anthony was threatening kids with the gun, shooting nerf balls at kids who did not want to be hit by nerf balls. Maybe Anthony was bullying other kids with his nerf gun. We don't know because the whole story is not available.
Ursus and Anne, relax and once again before you two run off at the computer, get all your facts.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:48:32 PM by DannyB II »