Author Topic: RTC teen dies: 8-13-10  (Read 4522 times)

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
RTC teen dies: 8-13-10
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:02:24 AM »
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 59350.html

Teen who collapsed at residential treatment facility dies

By TERRI LANGFORD
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 18, 2010, 10:49PM

The state's foster care agency revealed Wednesday that a 17-year-old girl who collapsed about a month ago at a residential treatment facility has died.

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services is investigating the death of Shanice Nibbs, who collapsed July 16 while on a nature walk at the Five Oaks Achievement Center in New Ulm, about 72 miles west of Houston. On Wednesday, agency spokesman Patrick Crimmins issued a news release notifying the media that the teen died Friday.

Reporters for the Houston Chronicle and Texas Tribune first contacted DFPS officials two weeks ago about the girl's collapse. At the time, the girl was alive in the intensive care unit at Texas Children's Hospital, and the agency offered no other details, citing the investigation.

An official with the governor's office confirmed that the agency notified it immediately of the incident and that it was aware that the agency had suspended all placements at the facility until an investigation was completed.

An official with the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, which conducted an autopsy, said the girl died of complications of hypothermia. It is not known how long the girl had been at the facility, how long she had been in foster care, or if she had a pre-existing health condition.

Two months ago, the Chronicle and Tribune detailed how more than 250 confirmed incidents of abuse or neglect had occurred since 2008 at residential treatment facilities, where the state's most troubled foster care children are placed.

[email protected]

I am assuming that she died of hyperthermia and not hypothermia. -wdtony
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:17:13 AM by wdtony »
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
Re: RTC teen dies: 8-18-10
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »
It took her a month to die of complications of hyperthermia? (And yes, it was hyper-, not hypo-. Simple Google search confirms.)

Oh well, onto the Pile she goes! Who wants to be the next place to kill a kid?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments for "Teen who collapsed ... dies," #s 1-25
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Teen who collapsed at residential treatment facility dies" (by Terri Langford; Aug. 18, 2010; Houston Chronicle), #s 1-25:

The-Texan wrote: 8/18/2010 11:06:40 PM
    Complications of hypothermia.. What were the complications.. Obviously, it was serious. Hypothermia is a low body temperature. And of course a person would die if it dropped to low or at the very least go in a comma that I bet is what happened. . She had to be feeling bad prior to this. I’m curious if she told anyone that she was sick. I also would like to know if she had any drugs in her system. Drugs that makes you sedated will lower the body temperature… I would suspect they give some of those kids tranquilizers under the supervision of a doctor I'm sure.
myRomeow wrote: 8/18/2010 11:33:41 PM
    Hypothermia? Here in texas in August? Where was she? In a freezer?
grthac wrote: 8/18/2010 11:37:38 PM
    It's always disheartening to hear stories of these. People that had been in foster care for whatever reason...a tough start in the road of life. I hope there is no negligence in the part of the State.
VetMom wrote: 8/18/2010 11:42:56 PM
    An official with the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, which conducted an autopsy, said the girl died of complications of hypothermia.
    =====================
    How can anybody become hypothermic in Houston in July?
wdtony wrote: 8/18/2010 11:51:03 PM
    I am assuming this was a typing error and she probably died of complications of HYPERthermia.
BeckARoo wrote: 8/19/2010 12:35:34 AM
    To The-Texan: Yes, the majority of kids I work with in Residential Treatment facilities are not only heavily medicated, they all seem to have a very similar prescription regimin. It's so sad the way many of these kids are treated and how quickly they learn how to work the system. The biggest issue seems to be that the homes are frequently in it for the money rather than to help a child. It just breaks my heart.
FloLake wrote: 8/19/2010 1:04:58 AM
    Rest in peace and may justice be swift.
ChicanoNation wrote: 8/19/2010 1:59:21 AM
    Apparently another news source contradicts the Chron's version of the cause of death. The Chron attributes excessive cold as the cause of death and the other news source blames excessive heat.
    by khou.com staff
    khou.com
    Posted on August 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM
    Updated today at 12:47 AM
    HOUSTON – An investigation is under way after the medical examiner said a 17-year-old girl died of hyperthermia last week. Shanice Nibbs first showed symptoms of heat exhaustion during a nature walk at the Five Oaks Achievement Center where she lived.
ChicanoNation wrote: 8/19/2010 2:04:28 AM
    Does the Chron's journalist need a refresher course on the definition of the prefix HYPER ?? How could she get them reversed ??
    World English Dictionary
    hyper-
    — prefix
    1. above, over, or in excess: hypercritical , hyperactive, hypertension (high blood pressure )
    2. (in medicine) denoting an abnormal excess: hyperacidity
    3. indicating that a chemical compound contains a greater than usual amount of an element: hyperoxide

[from Greek huper over][/list]
john1945 wrote: 8/19/2010 2:17:56 AM
    hello stupids - there are spring fed rivers that are 55F. if you fall and bump your head, go unconicious in cold spring fed river you can get hypothermia.
sped6348 wrote: 8/19/2010 2:27:12 AM
    "where the state's most troubled foster care children are placed."
    =========================
    Maybe you should find a different place for our "most troubled foster care children"!!! Apparently this place is not up to the job!!!
GFBrown2 wrote: 8/19/2010 3:22:30 AM
    Just another example of how little Rick Perry and his minions care about the neediest people of Texas.Rick Perry should be ashamed, if he knew what shame was.But Rick Perry only cares about gaining more wealth for himself and his friends.
    What a terrible choice we have to make in November :
    Rick Perry or Bill White.
    Both should be taken to the center of town and horse-whipped.
prlary wrote: 8/19/2010 6:11:47 AM
    It's HOTTTT out there...stya hydrated !!!
TheGhostofJeffLynne wrote: 8/19/2010 6:38:23 AM
    Um, hyperthemia. Hypothermia is when your body's core temperature DROPS below what is needed for normal function. Hyperthermia is when your body produces more heat than it can shed. If untreated this leads to uncontrollable temperature rise, which leads to death. Any boy scout knows this.
    I'm guessing that the author is unfamiliar with the classical Greek roots of these conditions. HYPO is under. HYPER is above.
Sam0725 wrote: 8/19/2010 7:23:14 AM
    It's always sad to hear about a child dying.
ndependentwoman wrote: 8/19/2010 7:46:00 AM
    I think they meant hyPERthermia -which is the opposite of hyPOthermia. In other words, she died of heat exhaustion. I wonder if the "nature walk" is something they choose to do or if it is mandatory. If it is mandatory, then the folks in charge were not watching her close enough. This is a sad situation. I hope they investigate this fully. I also hope this poor baby did not die alone and had someone who loved her by her side.
KoGosuto wrote: 8/19/2010 7:47:25 AM
    The Ghost ofJeffLynne Wrote:
    I'm guessing that the author is unfamiliar with the classical Greek roots of these conditions. HYPO is under. HYPER is above.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    I'm guessing most of the authors here are unfamiliar with the ENGLISH roots, prefix and suffixes of most words !
ndependentwoman wrote: 8/19/2010 7:47:44 AM
    I posted my comments before reading others. Sorry for saying the same thing a million other people have posted as well.
ssb5306 wrote: 8/19/2010 7:52:21 AM
    Hypothermia Symptoms and Signs
    by George Miller
    A NatureSkills.com exclusive. Article and photo by George Miller.
    During the late 60’s, I was involved in several expeditions to the North and South Poles. One thing I learned while in these polar regions was that cold can kill, often when you least expect it. You need to know the hypothermia symptoms and signs.
    Those scenes in the movies of explorers stumbling around in blizzards have a lot of truth to them. When the weather turns hostile, things go down hill in a hurry.
    During good weather conditions, you tend to ignore the weather. If it’s sunny, you’ll probably feel warm and neglect to carry proper clothing necessary in the event of inclement weather. You may even lack food and rudimentary shelter and equipment necessary for survival in an emergency.
    If the weather changes suddenly, or you or a member of your party is injured, you may find yourself unprepared to face adverse conditions.
    Hypothermia symptoms usually begin slowly. As you develop hypothermia, your ability to think and move often become clouded. In fact, you may even be unaware that you need help. As your thought process is impaired, you fail to realize that you are becoming colder. Once you get cold, it can be very difficult to get warm again.
    Someone with hypothermia is likely to have frostbite as well.
    The key hypothermia symptom is an internal body temperature below 95º F (normal is 98.6º F).
    Usually, everyone thinks about hypothermia occurring in extremely cold temperatures, but that doesn’t have to be the case. It can happen anytime that you are exposed to cool, damp conditions. Older people are more susceptible to hypothermia.
    Two things to remember about hypothermia is that...
    1. you don’t need to be experiencing sub-zero temperatures to encounter hypothermia and ...
    2. your judgment will be impaired making you much more likely to experience an accident.
    If you, or someone in your group, becomes hypothermic, take immediate action before it becomes a severe emergency!
    Hypothermia symptoms include:
    Uncontrollable shivering (although, at extremely low body temperatures, shivering may stop)
    Weakness and loss of coordination
    Confusion
    Pale and cold skin
    Drowsiness – especially in more severe stages
    Slowed breathing or heart rate
Phoenix.Is.Rising wrote: 8/19/2010 8:22:23 AM
    I take it that she was in a coma for a month with this hypothermia (hyperthermia?). And at Texas Childrens? Something is NOT adding up with this story. I hope the Chronicle keeps us updated.
tejanoredd wrote: 8/19/2010 8:31:27 AM
    so about every 3 or 4 days another incident of abuse or neglect occurs.
ronz58 wrote: 8/19/2010 8:38:38 AM
    Just another Chronicle reporter with out time to spell check. How lucky is Houston to have such pro reporters?
tears wrote: 8/19/2010 8:46:46 AM
    sounds like some real shady goings on at shutter five oaks.
    time to clean house or close it down.
armstrmb wrote: 8/19/2010 8:54:22 AM
    In July, both Houston and New Ulm had quite a few days of heavy rain. During those downpours, there were quite a few cool breezes. Maybe she went on a morning walk in shorts and a tank top and, without someone to provide a back-up jacket, caught a cold. The cold then progressed to pneumonia and then caused her death.

This is sad and due more than a few lines and a bit of speculation.
BigTex79 wrote: 8/19/2010 9:00:24 AM
    Come on, people, read- it's HYPERthermia- that means she became too hot!
    Need no explanation in Texas in August!

Copyright © 2010 The Houston Chronicle
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: RTC teen dies: 8-13-10
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:15:16 PM »
Aw man.....another one?   Jeeezus fucking christ......how many dead kids is it gonna take?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Aw man.....another one?   Jeeezus fucking christ......how many dead kids is it gonna take?

For what?  to shut down foster care?  Residential Treatment?  Have you personally determined the cause of death or are you blaming people again without any information, Anne.

I have already demonstrated via links and posts that we can post 10 times more kids dying in a public school setting.  You show your bias by jumping the gun before you even know what happened.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

For what?  to shut down foster care?  Residential Treatment?  Have you personally determined the cause of death or are you blaming people again without any information, Anne.

I have already demonstrated via links and posts that we can post 10 times more kids dying in a public school setting.  You show your bias by jumping the gun before you even know what happened.

My god, with this many deaths related to hypothermia you'd think there would at the very least be a moratorium on this shit until we can find out why so many kids are dying from heatstroke.

And your bullshit comparisons to public schools hold no weight whatsoever.  Apples to oranges.  But you are the expert salesman/marketer so you can spin with the best of them, I'll give you that.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments for "Teen who collapsed ... dies," #s 26-50
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »
I gotta say... an inordinately large percentage of these comments seem to focus on the original hypo- vs. hyperthermia typo...

Comments left for the above article, "Teen who collapsed at residential treatment facility dies" (by Terri Langford; Aug. 18, 2010; Houston Chronicle), #s 26-50:

mawmaw2000 wrote: 8/19/2010 9:01:21 AM
    It was misstated.. she died of heat not cold... read the following article at
http://www.khou.com/news/local/ Teenage-girls-heat-related-death-under-investigation-101052164.html Remove the space before "Teenage-girls"[/list]
jojogogo wrote: 8/19/2010 9:02:22 AM
    wdtony wrote:
    I am assuming this was a typing error and she probably died of complications of HYPERthermia
    Considering the source, your probably right
gem65x2 wrote: 8/19/2010 9:07:02 AM
    I need more info before I make a judgement call.
    Was this young woman (she's 17, not 7) a drug user? If so for how long?
    Was she obese?
    Did she have any underlying health issues that no one knew about?
    I mean, come on...if she was a dopehead, esp a long time one...if she was fat, or had any health problems....then neglect / abuse would have nothing to do with it.
    We also have no idea of her personality...the adult in charge may have been after her to drink water, Gatorade, and she, being a typical rebellious 'troubled' girl, could have refused.
    Her body may have just said, "enough! I quit!"
    It happens all the time, on football fields, tracks, and basketball courts...why else would we have those de-fibrillators in sports arenas these days?
    So, I think I'll wait for more info.
sk134 wrote: 8/19/2010 9:19:40 AM
    Myroemow, it states hyperthermia, not hypOthermia.
sk134 wrote: 8/19/2010 9:20:13 AM
    Whoops, guess they corrected that in this article. Maybe the first one was a typo.
rushhourlee wrote: 8/19/2010 9:24:43 AM
    An official with the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, which conducted an autopsy, said the girl died of complications of hyperthermia. It is not known how long the girl had been at the facility, how long she had been in foster care, or if she had a pre-existing health condition.
    -------
    I have no trust in anyone who works in the residential treatment facility. Who really knows what is going on there???? Something doesn't sound right.
RobininHouston wrote: 8/19/2010 9:25:21 AM
    People please educate yourselves. Hyperthermia is an INCREASE in body temperature, which is common in Houston in July due to the intense heat and humidity. My sincere condolences to the loved ones of this precious child.
sunny2008 wrote: 8/19/2010 9:25:49 AM
    Not sure if this article has been changed but if you read it, it says she died of HYPERthermia. A condition with the opposite cause of HYPOthermia. Hyperthermia is when the body produces or absorbs to much heat and can't dissipate the heat fast enough. Hypothermia is when your body gets to cold and can't function properly because of the drop in temperature. It is so sad to hear of another young person that has died while in the care of a state run facility. I hope this young girl gets justice if it is proved someone did not care for her properly.
honeyalmasri wrote: 8/19/2010 9:26:29 AM
    Hyperthermia is an elevated body temperature due to failed thermoregulation. Hyperthermia occurs when the body produces or absorbs more heat than it can dissipate.
sugar1962 wrote: 8/19/2010 9:27:20 AM
    I see no type in the article- it says:

An official with the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, which conducted an autopsy, said the girl died of complications of hyperthermia. It is not known how long the girl had been at the facility, how long she had been in foster care, or if she had a pre-existing health condition.
kimgalex wrote: 8/19/2010 9:29:00 AM
    Read the article people! It reads HYPERthermia. Heat exhaustion, heat stroke, dehydration, death. This happens when you are in the blistering heat too long. Poor girl, RIP.
zeedykcynthia wrote: 8/19/2010 9:43:43 AM
    With her having been still so young, it would have been either pre-existing or some sort of neglect. It is really a shame to lose someone at that age to something that could have been prevented.
Gigisal wrote: 8/19/2010 9:55:02 AM
    People the article says "An official with the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, which conducted an autopsy, said the girl died of complications of hyperthermia" which means "Hyperthermia is overheating of the body. The word is made up of "hyper" (high) + "thermia" from the Greek word "thermes" (heat). Hyperthermia is literally high heat"
Carat wrote: 8/19/2010 10:22:31 AM
    myRomeow--correction: the article clearly states "HYPERthermia" & not "HYPOthermia"--totally two different things! HYPERTHERMIA-an increase in temperature & yes with this heat!! And who knows if she was properly hydrated, how long had they been out & type of medications she was taking--if any??
TheGhostofJeffLynne wrote: 8/19/2010 10:23:22 AM
    kimgalex wrote:
    Read the article people! It reads HYPERthermia. Heat exhaustion, heat stroke, dehydration, death. This happens when you are in the blistering heat too long. Poor girl, RIP. 8/19/2010 9:29:00 AM
    It does NOW. She obviously edited the article.
htwngrl_is_back wrote: 8/19/2010 10:29:29 AM
    Poor girl was out in the heat too long. So sad.
t.patriot wrote: 8/19/2010 10:37:17 AM
    A few points:
    1. "Hypo" is not a "typo". It's an example of incorrect usage.
    2. Quit flaming the people who early on referred to "hypothermia" in the article. The Chron bloggers often correct their stories after they are published.
    3. zeedykcynthia, I'll agree with "either pre-existing or some sort of neglect" as long as pre-existing at least includes past and/or current drug use, over-/under-weight or rebellion that resulted in denial of potentially-offered fluids.
    4. For those who are surprised by KHOU's article being more factually correct consider:
    --A. The Chron, like many newspapers, is losing circulation
    --B. Circulation controls ad rates
    --C. Sloppy blogger-style articles
[I won't call it journalism] seems to generate more commentary due to mass speculation and argument over same
--D. The number of people closely following the exaggerated commentary means more page views
--E. More page views means more revenue for Chron[/list]
1Deedle wrote: 8/19/2010 10:38:36 AM
    Sounds like Nurse Rachette locked that girl in the freezer!!! May she rest in peace, very tragic!!
txgtrfrk wrote: 8/19/2010 10:41:47 AM
    Wow... HISD education at its best.... How can so many people comment on something they obviously didn't read too well. It does not say Hypothermia... it clearly states hyperthermia...lol
Paristan wrote: 8/19/2010 10:44:34 AM
    Lol, sometimes these comments crack me up..
Blake1969 wrote: 8/19/2010 10:49:48 AM
    myRomeow wrote:
    8/18/2010 11:33:41 PM
    HYPERthermia... Its the oppositie of HYPOthermia... I think you may have read too fast.
Darwin_Awards wrote: 8/19/2010 10:54:20 AM
    Most "troubled" foster children? What's the criteria for that? Does that indicate that they have behavior problems?
timtish wrote: 8/19/2010 10:58:39 AM
    Hyperthermia is an elevated body temperature due to failed thermoregulation.
Darwin_Awards wrote: 8/19/2010 11:05:07 AM
    timtish wrote:
    Hyperthermia is an elevated body temperature due to failed thermoregulation.
    ====
    It's basic Biology 101. Hypo vs. Hyper. Too Little - Too Much.
gem65x2 wrote: 8/19/2010 11:07:26 AM
    GOD YA'LL...she OVERHEATED...it's AUGUST....in TEXAS!!
    QUIT BEING SO NIT-FREAKING-PICKY!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments for "Teen who collapsed ... dies," #s 51-75
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:46:12 AM »
Comments left for the above article, "Teen who collapsed at residential treatment facility dies" (by Terri Langford; Aug. 18, 2010; Houston Chronicle), #s 51-75:

texastransplant wrote: 8/19/2010 11:09:43 AM
    think of it this way..
    hyper = over
    hypo = under
    they should have just stated that her death may have been caused by heat stroke. everyone would get that. Condolences to those she was close to, she's at peace now.
2manykooks wrote: 8/19/2010 11:13:56 AM
    I know this will generate negative comments but if this girl had been adopted by a caring family, this would be a non-issue. There are so many "pro-lifers" out there but why weren't they fighting for this girl's life? Does only unconscious fetus matter? Do only babies matter when it comes to adoption? To all you anti-choice people, I say put your money where your big, fat mouth is and adopt one of these desperately underprivileged children over the age of 2 already born who deserve a chance at life. They need love and a good home as well. It seems our anti-choicers prefer the unborn to the already born. So many children are in foster care to bad families who only take them in because the get a govt stipend. It's another form of welfare to them. These situations should never be happening in America. We're too worried about what's going on in Haiti, Africa and Missions beyond our southern border to be concerned with the welfare of our already ALIVE and severely abused and under privileged and disabled orphans. And yes, to stifle any ?'s, I have adopted an older child. In America, only the unborn and small mold-able babies matter. No one else does. Until All pro-lifers adopt an OLDER underprivileged child, you're nothing but a pompous, pious & sanctimonious poser.
    I'm off my soap box now. My heart goes out to that poor girl.
t.patriot wrote: 8/19/2010 11:23:24 AM
    Seems like half the posts here are flaming over "hypo" vs "hyper" in the article. Those could be eliminated if Chron would either thoroughly proof before they post or track the corrections they've made since original publication. And, as far as being "NIT-FREAKING-PICKY", this is
[theoretically] a newspaper and some of us still hold them to a higher standard than some 12 year old with a Facebook account.[/list]
BeckARoo wrote: 8/19/2010 11:23:30 AM
    Darwin_Awards wrote:
    Most "troubled" foster children? What's the criteria for that? Does that indicate that they have behavior problems?
    Typically these are children that are diagnosed emotionally disturbed, or suffer from PTSD due to the abuse they received, or other medical condition that would make placing them in a 'typical' family home difficult for the family as the level of care needed is greater than that of the average youth.
Darwin_Awards wrote: 8/19/2010 11:25:41 AM
    2manykooks,
    Your Demographics are a bit broad. Some communities take care of their own much better than others and their children are typically not relegated to such pain and sorrow by the "villagers". Some cultures on the other hand don't give a hoot about their kids, nor most anything else decent except handouts.
texaschickeee wrote: 8/19/2010 11:29:04 AM
    I'm guessing that its like that cadet firefighter. She basically should have been given water and wasnt. Now of course the low paid people on the totem pole are going to get the axe when the top high paid persons are the ones that called the shots.typical
Darwin_Awards wrote: 8/19/2010 11:29:40 AM
    BeckARoo wrote:
    Darwin_Awards wrote:
    Typically these are children that are diagnosed emotionally disturbed, or suffer from PTSD due to the abuse they received, or other medical condition that would make placing them in a 'typical' family home difficult for the family as the level of care needed is greater than that of the average youth.
    ====
    Ah, that makes more sense. There are a lot of naysayers, but, I do however know for pretty much fact that a child who is sent to foster care comes from the homes of the "worst of the worst". These Judges don't just take kids and they give the families every opportunity in the World to get them back. CPS is a joke, you've pretty much gotta' be standing in the middle of the street with a needle in your arm beating your kid with a bat to get their attention.
NativeAmerican44 wrote: 8/19/2010 11:45:50 AM
    Yall need to re-read...she died of complications from HYPERthermia...not HYPO
RangeRoverBabe wrote: 8/19/2010 11:50:37 AM
    Was this a black child? Did she have sickle cell anemia? Did she have high blood pressure? At least let us know what was known about her. Poor dear was rejected and neglected. What a sorry state of affairs when there are millions of people who would love to have a child of any age. RIP sweetie.
rufrigginserious wrote: 8/19/2010 12:01:53 PM
    uhh... its HYPERthermia idiots... the exact opposite of HYPOthermia
nadiap wrote: 8/19/2010 12:13:45 PM
    HYPERTHERMIA-heat stroke not related to being cold.duh.
ChicanoNation wrote: 8/19/2010 1:18:17 PM
    The original version of the story stated HYPOthermia ;
    Chron should add a footnote clarifying their mistake.
patience001 wrote: 8/19/2010 1:29:15 PM
    myRomeow wrote:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    She died of hyperthermia, not hypothermia. Hypothermia is freezing to death; hyperthemia means the body temperature is too high. She probably had heat stroke or something like that!
admoretti wrote: 8/19/2010 1:29:30 PM
    Chances are she was on an anti-psyhotic medicine and experienced an unfortunate side effect - neuroleptic malignant syndrome. (hence the hyperthermia)
    Sad - b/c most of kids in these situations are put on all kinds of meds b/c we simply don't or can't deal with them and their real issues. so what's the answer to solve our social issues? Good question, nobody seems to have one.
biogurl09 wrote: 8/19/2010 1:39:21 PM
    You people need reading glasses or just a brain. They never said hypothermia, it clearly says hyperthermia. Try reading it again, this time using either your reading glasses or your brain, whichever applies. Who knows, maybe you need both.
JENNCSC25 wrote: 8/19/2010 2:03:53 PM
    There is a lesson to be learned... YES IT IS POSSIBLE... DON'T SHOW YOUR STUPIDITY ONE DAY AND THEN CRITICIZE THE CHRONICLE THE NEXT DAY FOR THEIR MISPELLINGS OR MISINTERPRETATIONS.... ACT LIKE YOU ARE EDUCATED....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia
vs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthermia[/list]
dbeck wrote: 8/19/2010 2:22:27 PM
    biogurl09 wrote:
    You people need reading glasses or just a brain. They never said hypothermia, it clearly says hyperthermia. Try reading it again, this time using either your reading glasses or your brain, whichever applies. Who knows, maybe you need both.
    ========================
    Gee, you're awfully full of yourself - did it ever occur to you that the Chron corrected the error?? Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last. Next time try using your brain before berating folks who caught the error.
amweaver wrote: 8/19/2010 2:34:46 PM
    The article clearly states HYPERTHERMIA read it look it up if you don't understand.... post after you do
Susan_H. wrote: 8/19/2010 2:55:37 PM
    Re-read that paragraph folks it was not HYPOthermia (meaning low) it was HYPERthermia, also know as heat stroke. In otherwords this young lady was probably on a "forced" nature hike and was not given water or a chance to get out of the sun and cool off. If the core body temperature is not lowered as quickly as possible after the onset of symptoms the end result is death. This young ladies collapse and resulting death was completely preventable. I think that the people that operate this "residential treatment facility" (aka group home) need to be thouroughly investigated. Who in their right mind would take teenagers out on a "nature hike" with the summertime temperatures that we can get? Are these people trained in basic first aide? Was there no trained medical staff on site at this facility? With as many children as these places tend to have ALL onsite staff should be trained in recognizing multiple health conditions. The majority of staff at these types of facilities are usually under the assumption that teenagers don't get sick they are just faking it and more often than not they tend to ignore when kids complain of aches, pains, etc...
ready4twins wrote: 8/19/2010 2:58:36 PM
    Dear Chron.com, next time just say heat stroke. That would eliminate half the comments on this article. Thanks!
maximus1059 wrote: 8/19/2010 3:11:08 PM
    amweaver wrote:
    The article clearly states HYPERTHERMIA read it look it up if you don't understand.... post after you do
    -----------------------
    Hey numb nut, you do realize they go back and make corrections which would mean the initial posts were correct don't you? I guess not...
A_VOICE wrote: 8/19/2010 3:41:06 PM
    R.I.P. Shanice.....so sorry that you died under such cicumstances Sweetie. I hope that wherever you are, is better than here! :'(
Zaniffa wrote: 8/19/2010 4:03:44 PM
    The meaning of hyperthermia-exceptionally high fever.
Zaniffa wrote: 8/19/2010 4:09:32 PM
    Meaning of Hypothermia----subnormal temperature of the body
HeatherB wrote: 8/19/2010 4:38:14 PM
    Some medications given for mental illness mess with the brain's thermostat. It is very easy to become overheated and extremely ill as a result.
    I know, I take 2 medications carrying the warning. I also depend on public transit - waiting out on a Metro bus in this heat, for me, requires extreme caution.
    Sometimes, even outside, I will get cold chills. My brain thinks it is cold, when it's not. However, I am not walking around hallucinating and delusional, either. I think everyone can give THAT a thumbs up.
    It may very well have been her medication. Also, many obese teens these days. Put the two together...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments for "Teen who collapsed ... dies," #s 76-82
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Teen who collapsed at residential treatment facility dies" (by Terri Langford; Aug. 18, 2010; Houston Chronicle), #s 76-82:

Indianpaintbrush75 wrote: 8/19/2010 5:01:15 PM
    So sad, no matter how it happened.
Bruthr wrote: 8/19/2010 5:03:53 PM
    A_VOICE wrote:
    R.I.P. Shanice.....so sorry that you died under such cicumstances Sweetie. I hope that wherever you are, is better than here! :'(
    8/19/2010 3:41:06 PM
    ########################
    That makes two of us!
t.patriot wrote: 8/19/2010 5:13:36 PM
    Amazing how many flamers here don't get it that Chron *CORRECTED* the article *AFTER* the original comments referring to "hypothermia". I've noticed several articles lately that they have done that to. Don't recall seeing a disclaimer on any of the others either. FYI: The Southwest/baby debaucle and the Barney Fife episode in back of the bar are two examples of Chron articles corrected one or more times throughout the day.
wrmsox wrote: 8/19/2010 5:21:55 PM
    Hypothermia, is lowerd core body temperature.... what was said was Hyperthermia, which is just the opposite....an increased core body temperature that the body can not disapate. It can be brought on by several factors, including the obvious ~ exposure to high temps, but can also be from other sorces including drugs.
WWT wrote: 8/19/2010 5:25:04 PM
    What was amazing to me was the total lack of remorse or concern shown by the woman from the facility being interviewed by the news media. Her whole attitude was appalling.
bvckvs wrote: 8/19/2010 6:42:12 PM
    This happened at one of those private, for-profit, faith-based camps - not a state facility.
    Tose faith-based ones are the worst.
traceymarg wrote: 8/19/2010 8:56:49 PM
    If the state mandates a person to be in a certain facility, then it is the state's responsibility to ensure that person's safety. If they were on a nature hike, the person in charge should have made sure everyone was adequately hydrated and should have been educated in basic first aid.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Teenage girl's heat-related death under investigation
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »
Comment #26 from the above article, "Teen who collapsed at residential treatment facility dies":

mawmaw2000 wrote: 8/19/2010 9:01:21 AM
      It was misstated.. she died of heat not cold... read the following article at
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/ Teenage-girls-heat-related-death-under-investigation-101052164.html Remove the space before "Teenage-girls"[/list][/list]

Here's that KHOU article copied out, fwiw:

KHOU.com
    Teenage girl's heat-related death under investigation

by khou.com staff
    Posted on August 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM
    Updated Thursday, Aug 19 at 9:57 AM

HOUSTON – An investigation is under way after the medical examiner said a 17-year-old girl died of hyperthermia last week.

Shanice Nibbs first showed symptoms of heat exhaustion during a nature walk at the Five Oaks Achievement Center, where she lived.

The state-run facility is in New Ulm west of Houston.

Nibbs died at Texas Children's Hospital.

Her death marks the fourth heat-related death in the Houston area.

© 2009-2010 KHOU-TV, Inc., a subsidiary of Belo Corp.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "Teenage girl's heat-related death..."
    « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »
    Comment left for the above article, "Teenage girl's heat-related death under investigation

wildcard777 said on August 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM
      Such a sad, senseless death. Sympathies to family and friends. When the weather is Hot,or You get Hot remember to Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.

© 2009-2010 KHOU-TV, Inc., a subsidiary of Belo Corp.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    250 confirmed incidents of abuse or neglect
    « Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
    ...From the article in the OP:
    Two months ago, the Chronicle and Tribune detailed how more than 250 confirmed incidents of abuse or neglect had occurred since 2008 at residential treatment facilities, where the state's most troubled foster care children are placed.
    The article referred to in the above quote, reported by Emily Ramshaw of the Texas Tribune and Terri Langford of the Houston Chronicle, is the subject of this thread: KIDS CHOKED, STRIPPED, BEATEN AT FACILITIES ... which also contains a breakdown as to the specific facilities at which these confirmed serious incidents occurred, in addition to the respective number thereof.

Five Oaks Achievement Center already appears on that list (compiled prior to the death of Shanice Nibbs).

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Shanice Shamika Nibbs, R.I.P.
    « Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:17 AM »
    In Memory of
    Shanice Shamika Nibbs

Arrangements under the direction of Chapel of Eternal Peace at Forest Park, Houston, TX.

Born: August 10, 1993
      Died: August 13, 2010
      [/list][/size]

August 19, 2010
        My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family. Shanice was truly a joy in my life when she was a student here at Alvin High School. God bless you.
        Cheryl Llenos
          ~ Cheryl Llenos,
      Alvin, Texas[/list][/list]
      August 19, 2010
        My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family. Shanice was truly a joy in my life while she was a student at Alvin High School. God bless you.
          ~ Cheryl Llenos,
      August 19, 2010
        Shanice was at Alvin High School for a brief time and I was her guidance counselor. There was never a dull moment when Shanice was around. I will always remember her smile when she would show me the latest dance she had learned. Trying to teach me how to do the "Superman" dance was a scream. She touched my heart in a special way. Everyone in our office was sad when her placement changed. She is a student I will never forget. She will be in my prayers forever.

Tanyia Conner, MS Counseling
        Alvin High School
        Alvin, Texas
          ~ Tanyia Conner,
      August 19, 2010
        I am so very sorry for your loss, Shanice was a special student here on AHS campus and she will be truly missed.
          ~ Jennifer Watson, Alvin High School,
      August 20, 2010
        My sympathy goes out to Shanice's family. I didn't know her long but in that short time she was a sweet person. I remember when I had a call to Ms. Griffith's office and if Shanice was there, she would light up the office with her high energy by singing or dancing. If you was having a bad day and Shanice knew you, she'd make it better. See you in heaven Shanice. GOD Bless the family. Officer Jackson.
          ~ Julius Jackson,
      Houston, Texas[/list][/list]

° ° °

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Teen who collapsed at residential treatment facility... (#2)
      « Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 11:38:53 AM »
      Here's another piece with the same title as the OP and, not surprisingly, it is, for the most part, a rewrite of the same article. I am posting it anyway, however, for the pertinent (Five Oaks) facility information contained in the last two paragraphs, which was not included in the previous article...

Fwiw, the below article also contains the "hypothermia error."  :beat:

Brenham Banner-Press
      Teen who collapsed at residential treatment facility dies

Published:
      Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:59 AM CDT

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services is continuing its investigation into the death of a 17-year-old girl at a residential treatment facility in Austin County.

The department confirmed Wednesday that Shanice Nibbs, who collapsed about a month ago at Five Oaks Achievement Center in New Ulm, had died.

Nibbs collapsed July 16 while on a nature walk at center. On Wednesday, agency spokesman Patrick Crimmins issued a news release notifying the media that the teen died last Friday.

Reporters for the Houston Chronicle and Texas Tribune first contacted DFPS officials two weeks ago about the girl’s collapse. At the time, the girl was alive in the intensive care unit at Texas Children’s Hospital, and the agency gave no details, saying the incident was being investigated, according to the Chronicle.

An official with the governor's office confirmed that the agency notified it immediately of the incident and that it was aware that the agency had suspended all placements at the facility until an investigation was completed, the newspaper said.

An official with the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, which conducted an autopsy, said the girl died of complications of hypothermia.

Again, no other details were released.

The Brenham school district renewed a one-year contract in July with Five Oaks to educate Brenham students who suffer from severe disabilities, continuing a relationship the district has had with the facility for almost a decade.

The current principal of the roughly three-dozen bed facility is Jim Bruce, the Brenham school district's former assistant superintendent.

Copyright © 2010 Brenham Banner-Press

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      More Trouble at Texas Residential Treatment Center
      « Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »
      This article is also a rehash of the OP, or, rather, a "cross-publish" by the Texas Tribune. However, it points out the aforementioned Houston Chronicle / Texas Tribune reporter partnership and also provides pertinent links...

The Texas Tribune
      More Trouble at Texas Residential Treatment Centers
      By Emily Ramshaw
      August 19, 2010

In today's Houston Chronicle, reporter Terri Langford, my partner in uncovering abuse at Texas foster care facilities, has a story about the death of a teenage girl in a residential treatment center:

The state's foster care agency revealed Wednesday that a 17-year-old girl who collapsed about a month ago at a residential treatment facility has died.

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services is investigating the death of Shanice Nibbs, who collapsed on July 16 while on a nature  walk at the Five Oaks Achievement Center in New Ulm, about 72 miles west of Houston.

On Wednesday, agency spokesman Patrick Crimmins issued a news release notifying the media the teen died on Friday.

Reporters for the Houston Chronicle and Texas Tribune first contacted  DFPS officials two weeks ago about the girl's collapse. At the time, the girl was alive in the intensive care unit at Texas Children's Hospital, and the agency offered no other details, citing the investigation.

An official with the governor's office confirmed that the agency notified them immediately of the incident and that they were aware that the agency had suspended all placements at the facility until an investigation was completed.

An official with the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences, which conducted an autopsy, said the girl died of complications of hyperthermia. It is not known how long Nibbs had been at the facility, how long she has been in foster care, or if she had a pre-existing health condition.

Two months ago, the Chronicle and Tribune detailed how more than 250 serious incidents had occurred since 2008 at residential treatment facilities, where the state's most troubled foster care children are placed.
        [/list]

© 2010 The Texas Tribune