Author Topic: Program nosalgia  (Read 4380 times)

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
Program nosalgia
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
I was in a adolescent treatment program, one that has its own dedicated forum on this website. According to fornits lore and mythology I should have been beaten, raped, "mindfucked", brainwashed, and finally murdered. Well, since I'm typing this they obviously failed at the murder part. But they also failed to do the other actions listed, I guess I must of slipped through the system and not been part of the experience fornits touts as typical. Or perhaps the mythology here is bullshit, I'll leave that for you to decide.

One of the funny aspects of the fornits mythology is that supposedly teens who just recently left programs are brainwashed, and so it takes a few years, or decades for this intense brainwashing to wear off, then finally you can begin to realize how you were victimized by a treatment program. Well this wasn't the case for me. I resisted treatment and actually disliked it at the time, and if asked right after getting out if it helped me I would of said hell no, it sucked! But as much as I disliked it, you wouldn't of heard me comparing it to nazi concentration camps, or claiming to be "mindfucked", abused or raped. So my timeline is kind of backwards compared to some others. As I matured over the years I realized how self centered I was and am now able to look at my experience from the perspective of others, like my family and the people who worked at the treatment center. I realized they were trying to help me, and ultimately they did help me, and probably saved my life.

Going from being a teen without boundaries doing whatever you please to being put in a strict treatment program is going to be a sour pill to swallow for any kid. I was no different, and I hated my parents at the time for "doing it to me". Now I realize I did it to myself. I pushed, and pushed. Finally my family and society had to push back, and by doing so showed me a path I would have never found on my own. A path to sobriety, responsibility and sane living. I am thankful now for all their hard work, and I did not make it easy for anyone I questioned it every chance I got, and fought to remain in my own insulated and self absorbed world of self destruction. But sometimes a jolt is needed to get somebody out of this self destructive pattern and that is exactly what happened to me.

The world I experienced while in treatment bears little to no resemblance of what is described on this forum. What this forum does it pretty simple, and effective. When there are thousands of kids at any time in treatment, and they live there 24/7 for long periods of time ultimately sometimes negative things will happen, just like bad things happen in a family home or school, or wherever. Fornits poster seize on these brief moments of negativity and use them to generalize about all treatment programs, and claim all kids are abused, maimed, mindfucked, raped and murdered. Well their extreme view is nothing like what I experienced, and supposedly, as it is described the place I went was supposed to be that way.

What I remember is staff who generally cared deeply for the kids they were in charge of monitoring. I remember kids from all over who had various issues and family problems and were working to better themselves the best they could. I remember close friendships with both staff and other kids. Yes there are growing pains when you are attempting to shift your entire lifestyle and worldview. When I was asked why I was there, I would respond" i don't know, as my parents" and thought of myself as a victim. Now I know this view is totally incorrect, but it is a comfortable position to be in because you never have to address your own responsibility for your own poor choices. It's easy to blame other people, but the truth is my actions is what caused me to be put in treatment and nothing else. I have nobody to blame but myself for finding myself in treatment, and I realize this now. And although I fought against change for most of the time, the lessons I learned have served me throughout my life so far and I am very grateful my parents decided to send me to treatment.

When I am having difficulties I look back on my program memories fondly now, and even though at the time this was a difficult time it was a very important time. When you become an adult and still have the same issues and problems as when you were a troubled teen, then there is a chance that when society finally pushes back that you will not find yourself in a treatment center but more likely prison or worse. That's where I was headed and if my parents had been able to google and find a forum like this, and were gullible enough to believe what they would have been told, the outcome for myself in the long run would of been very sad. I look back on my program time with nostalgia now because I know how incredibly important that time was, and how finally my negative self destructive ideas were challenged to a degree I had no choice but to address is. I was willing to lie , cheat, steal or whatever to get out of the program at the time. I claimed i was being abused and luckily my parents were smart enough to know it wasn't true. I felt very bad to the people I accused of this, because they later found out I lied and tried to get taken home using this strategy. Eventually I asked for their forgiveness and they were kind enough to offer it to me.

It really takes a selfless person to work with troubled teens, because to put it mildly we challenge and make their life difficult when going through the emotional growing pains that occur while in treatment.  It's sort of interesting how something I felt was difficult at the time and would have done anything to get out, I now look fondly and with reverence as a life saving experience. This is because I can look at my experience now and realize it was completely of my own making. It's easy to view this as a victim vs. victimizer role, innocent child vs. evil program. But that is not accurate nor even close to the reality of what goes on in treatment. Fornits can be so ridiculously off base regarding the reality of programs, I am beginning to wonder what is it's purpose? Truth is not something that is highly prized here on this forum, only anecdotes or other evidence that happens to corroborate the strongly held beliefs here that all programs are inherently evil.

I wish I could go back in time and really use the time in treatment to its fullest, as I wasted a lot of time fighting it and being arrogant and wanting to remain in my old ways. I was such an asshole to everybody then I also wish I could go back and apologize for the things I did and the things I said. It actually would be a lot easier for me to pretend to be a victim, and blame everything on the program and staff as others here do, but in my heart I know that it's not true. They tried their best to help me and I tried my best to prevent that, but ultimately the message seeped through and I am so thankful for that. I know nobody would know exactly who I am that is reading this, but I'm going to go ahead and offer an apology to the program staff for being to objectionable during the process and being so rude and difficult. I have a respect for the people who are willing to work with troubled teens. They didn't get paid very much and I know they weren't in it for the money, or any other reason than they really wanted to make a difference, this is something that good people do with themselves and I respect that and thank them for that.

As I look back on my time in treatment, overall it was a challenging experience. For a time I wished it never happened, and I could of just gone on being self destructive and deluding myself into thinking its a fine way to live. But I have matured to a point where I know that would have only ended in tragedy. Eventually you have to wake up and realize the only person you are hurting is yourself. Instead of wandering into adulthood with these same safe destructive beliefs my parents were smart enough to get me the jolt I needed to wake up while still in adolescence. When I got back I had to make all new friends and start a new life, I was in a different place than my old friends. Some of them continued with the same behavior and continued to be addicts well into their 20's with no end in sight. I hope they will have a jolt of some kind that will help them realize they would be better off ending that self destructive behavior, but unfortunately now their families cannot get them help unless they ask for it. I would have never asked for help, but I desperately needed it, and now I am so very thankful to the people involved with helping me, even if at the time I did not feel that way.

Some behaviors are just a slow form of suicide. According to posters here on fornits, we should just allow teens to kill themselves with self destructive behaviors because there is a very slim chance of a negative experience while in treatment. I'm sorry but this argument doesn't add up. There is a reason you can force a suicidal person into treatment, and self destructive behaviors are just as suicidal as going and standing on the ledge of a building or putting a gun up to your head. An experience that was one of the most challenging in my life, being in treatment, saved my life. Today I look back on this experience with nostalgia and wish I could have made better use of the time back then. So thank you to all those who dedicate their lives to helping troubled teens, you really were/ are our guardian angels.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
one day at a time

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: Program nosalgia
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:44:27 AM »
The word you're looking for is "nostalgia," I believe.  While you're waxing nostalgic, why not share the name of the program you were in that made you into such a wonderful, respectful human being, "SUCK IT"?  

I think most peole here would agree that the posters who simply offer program platitudes and no program specifics usually can't offer specifics because they're fictional characters.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
Quote from: "SUCK IT"
I was in a adolescent treatment program, one that has its own dedicated forum on this website. According to fornits lore and mythology I should have been beaten, raped, "mindfucked", brainwashed, and finally murdered. Well, since I'm typing this they obviously failed at the murder part. But they also failed to do the other actions listed, I guess I must of slipped through the system and not been part of the experience fornits touts as typical. Or perhaps the mythology here is bullshit, I'll leave that for you to decide.

One of the funny aspects of the fornits mythology is that supposedly teens who just recently left programs are brainwashed, and so it takes a few years, or decades for this intense brainwashing to wear off, then finally you can begin to realize how you were victimized by a treatment program. Well this wasn't the case for me. I resisted treatment and actually disliked it at the time, and if asked right after getting out if it helped me I would of said hell no, it sucked! But as much as I disliked it, you wouldn't of heard me comparing it to nazi concentration camps, or claiming to be "mindfucked", abused or raped. So my timeline is kind of backwards compared to some others. As I matured over the years I realized how self centered I was and am now able to look at my experience from the perspective of others, like my family and the people who worked at the treatment center. I realized they were trying to help me, and ultimately they did help me, and probably saved my life.

Going from being a teen without boundaries doing whatever you please to being put in a strict treatment program is going to be a sour pill to swallow for any kid. I was no different, and I hated my parents at the time for "doing it to me". Now I realize I did it to myself. I pushed, and pushed. Finally my family and society had to push back, and by doing so showed me a path I would have never found on my own. A path to sobriety, responsibility and sane living. I am thankful now for all their hard work, and I did not make it easy for anyone I questioned it every chance I got, and fought to remain in my own insulated and self absorbed world of self destruction. But sometimes a jolt is needed to get somebody out of this self destructive pattern and that is exactly what happened to me.

The world I experienced while in treatment bears little to no resemblance of what is described on this forum. What this forum does it pretty simple, and effective. When there are thousands of kids at any time in treatment, and they live there 24/7 for long periods of time ultimately sometimes negative things will happen, just like bad things happen in a family home or school, or wherever. Fornits poster seize on these brief moments of negativity and use them to generalize about all treatment programs, and claim all kids are abused, maimed, mindfucked, raped and murdered. Well their extreme view is nothing like what I experienced, and supposedly, as it is described the place I went was supposed to be that way.

What I remember is staff who generally cared deeply for the kids they were in charge of monitoring. I remember kids from all over who had various issues and family problems and were working to better themselves the best they could. I remember close friendships with both staff and other kids. Yes there are growing pains when you are attempting to shift your entire lifestyle and worldview. When I was asked why I was there, I would respond" i don't know, as my parents" and thought of myself as a victim. Now I know this view is totally incorrect, but it is a comfortable position to be in because you never have to address your own responsibility for your own poor choices. It's easy to blame other people, but the truth is my actions is what caused me to be put in treatment and nothing else. I have nobody to blame but myself for finding myself in treatment, and I realize this now. And although I fought against change for most of the time, the lessons I learned have served me throughout my life so far and I am very grateful my parents decided to send me to treatment.

When I am having difficulties I look back on my program memories fondly now, and even though at the time this was a difficult time it was a very important time. When you become an adult and still have the same issues and problems as when you were a troubled teen, then there is a chance that when society finally pushes back that you will not find yourself in a treatment center but more likely prison or worse. That's where I was headed and if my parents had been able to google and find a forum like this, and were gullible enough to believe what they would have been told, the outcome for myself in the long run would of been very sad. I look back on my program time with nostalgia now because I know how incredibly important that time was, and how finally my negative self destructive ideas were challenged to a degree I had no choice but to address is. I was willing to lie , cheat, steal or whatever to get out of the program at the time. I claimed i was being abused and luckily my parents were smart enough to know it wasn't true. I felt very bad to the people I accused of this, because they later found out I lied and tried to get taken home using this strategy. Eventually I asked for their forgiveness and they were kind enough to offer it to me.

It really takes a selfless person to work with troubled teens, because to put it mildly we challenge and make their life difficult when going through the emotional growing pains that occur while in treatment.  It's sort of interesting how something I felt was difficult at the time and would have done anything to get out, I now look fondly and with reverence as a life saving experience. This is because I can look at my experience now and realize it was completely of my own making. It's easy to view this as a victim vs. victimizer role, innocent child vs. evil program. But that is not accurate nor even close to the reality of what goes on in treatment. Fornits can be so ridiculously off base regarding the reality of programs, I am beginning to wonder what is it's purpose? Truth is not something that is highly prized here on this forum, only anecdotes or other evidence that happens to corroborate the strongly held beliefs here that all programs are inherently evil.

I wish I could go back in time and really use the time in treatment to its fullest, as I wasted a lot of time fighting it and being arrogant and wanting to remain in my old ways. I was such an asshole to everybody then I also wish I could go back and apologize for the things I did and the things I said. It actually would be a lot easier for me to pretend to be a victim, and blame everything on the program and staff as others here do, but in my heart I know that it's not true. They tried their best to help me and I tried my best to prevent that, but ultimately the message seeped through and I am so thankful for that. I know nobody would know exactly who I am that is reading this, but I'm going to go ahead and offer an apology to the program staff for being to objectionable during the process and being so rude and difficult. I have a respect for the people who are willing to work with troubled teens. They didn't get paid very much and I know they weren't in it for the money, or any other reason than they really wanted to make a difference, this is something that good people do with themselves and I respect that and thank them for that.

As I look back on my time in treatment, overall it was a challenging experience. For a time I wished it never happened, and I could of just gone on being self destructive and deluding myself into thinking its a fine way to live. But I have matured to a point where I know that would have only ended in tragedy. Eventually you have to wake up and realize the only person you are hurting is yourself. Instead of wandering into adulthood with these same safe destructive beliefs my parents were smart enough to get me the jolt I needed to wake up while still in adolescence. When I got back I had to make all new friends and start a new life, I was in a different place than my old friends. Some of them continued with the same behavior and continued to be addicts well into their 20's with no end in sight. I hope they will have a jolt of some kind that will help them realize they would be better off ending that self destructive behavior, but unfortunately now their families cannot get them help unless they ask for it. I would have never asked for help, but I desperately needed it, and now I am so very thankful to the people involved with helping me, even if at the time I did not feel that way.

Some behaviors are just a slow form of suicide. According to posters here on fornits, we should just allow teens to kill themselves with self destructive behaviors because there is a very slim chance of a negative experience while in treatment. I'm sorry but this argument doesn't add up. There is a reason you can force a suicidal person into treatment, and self destructive behaviors are just as suicidal as going and standing on the ledge of a building or putting a gun up to your head. An experience that was one of the most challenging in my life, being in treatment, saved my life. Today I look back on this experience with nostalgia and wish I could have made better use of the time back then. So thank you to all those who dedicate their lives to helping troubled teens, you really were/ are our guardian angels.
The thing *I* really wanna know is ... what is "nosalgia?" Some kinda algae affecting the nose?   :o
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:07:23 PM »
I spelled it right within the body of text several times, oh no i didn't spell it right in the title, who cares? I'm sure you'll both get over it eventually.
one day at a time

Offline Pile of shit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:17:34 PM »
SUCK IT  are you sexually attracted to Whooter?   :twofinger:
WOW!!!

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
The word you're looking for is "nostalgia," I believe.  While you're waxing nostalgic, why not share the name of the program you were in that made you into such a wonderful, respectful human being, "SUCK IT"?  

I think most peole here would agree that the posters who simply offer program platitudes and no program specifics usually can't offer specifics because they're fictional characters.

I see you'll respond to spelling errors, but not germane items like this.  Says a lot about your veracity, SUCK IT.  Methinks we have a fictional character on our hands here, folks.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
Harping on spelling errors is kind of annoying, despite the humor.

I appreciate "SUCK IT"'s honesty (despite how much I disagree), if he/she is in fact for real...but I've been thinking what DJ is thinking about him for a while now, too..

The thing is, if SUCK IT is in fact really a phony, that is a hell of a lot of effort to make as a program apologist.. almost too hard to believe someone would actually do that with their time..

I don't know, though...there's been this smell of bullshit all along... like someone seeing how far they can stretch devil's advocacy or something..  ::puke::

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »
I've never seen someone who actually went to a program refuse to say which one it was or be unable to answer detailed questions about it.  However...I have seen several posers pretending to be program kids (Whooter, for example) and they always fall flat when it comes to details.   I think SUCK IT is a poser.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »
Some might see it as ironic as to fornits posters of all people demanding "TOTAL HONESTY" from its posters, but that's besides the point. I've seen how people are treated who are honest with their opinions that go against the cult, take for instance what happened just recently to this 15 yr old kid and family, or the many instances of people trying to out Whooter's real identity to harm him in real life. Dysfuncion says they sleep with a shotgun under the bed because of this forum, yet it's shocking to you, that I might want to keep my identity to myself? Get real. I think you are just trying to convince people I'm not real so they dismiss my opinions. It doesn't bother me that dysfunction thinks I am a "fictional character", because he spins all sorts of conspiracy theories, so its not very surprising.  Like any human being you can take my opinion as you wish, you can even believe I'm not real, doesn't bother me in the least. But it doesn't negate the fact I was actually in a treatment program, only in your own mind.
one day at a time

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"

Normally, I agree but DannyBoi is just irresistible to me.  Sorry.  Typos are one thing, but his consistency in the illiteracy is what astounds me.  The lack of the capacity to learn does as well.

I appreciate "SUCK IT"'s honesty (despite how much I disagree), if he/she is in fact for real...but I've been thinking what DJ is thinking about him for a while now, too..

The thing is, if SUCK IT is in fact really a phony, that is a hell of a lot of effort to make as a program apologist.. almost too hard to believe someone would actually do that with their time..

Really?  Have you met Whooter?

I don't know, though...there's been this smell of bullshit all along... like someone seeing how far they can stretch devil's advocacy or something..  ::puke::

:beat:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »
Some might see it as ironic as to fornits posters of all people demanding "TOTAL HONESTY" from its posters, but that's besides the point. I've seen how people are treated who are honest with their opinions that go against the cult, take for instance what happened just recently to this 15 yr old kid and family, or the many instances of people trying to out Whooter's real identity to harm him in real life. Dysfuncion says they sleep with a shotgun under the bed because of this forum, yet it's shocking to you, that I might want to keep my identity to myself? Get real. I think you are just trying to convince people I'm not real so they dismiss my opinions. It doesn't bother me that dysfunction thinks I am a "fictional character", because he spins all sorts of conspiracy theories, so its not very surprising.  Like any human being you can take my opinion as you wish, you can even believe I'm not real, doesn't bother me in the least. But it doesn't negate the fact I was actually in a treatment program, only in your own mind.
:boycott:  :feedtrolls:  :roflmao:
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 01:31:15 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"

Hey how about this DJ, Suck IT does not have to abide by your fornits protocol, as a matter of fact neither does anyone else. You folks seem to think you have set a stake in the ground, claiming a certain protocol for posting here, well guess what like we said in the programs we were in, "fuck you".  
Ursus stated if I wanted to be taken seriously here I would do this... :roflmao:  :roflmao:  Guys I could give a rats ass what you think of my posts, they are not for you first off and second I'm not looking for your validation.
I have said it many times, I have very little respect for your opinions/beliefs and that you don't hold the moral high ground here as you think you do.
What is most hillarious is DJ and Pile were never even in a program (I guess fornits had to hire you two, slim picking here), Ursus went to some Boys Scout pussy party and wants to act like it was similar to Elan, because it was in Maine, Jesus guys your killing us here with your extremism.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »

Keep your identity...that doesn't stop you from naming the program you attended.  Surely it could hold up to scrutiny, right?

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"

I think 'bout the only person who thinks SUCK IT is real is ol' Dannyboy. As to my nose-algae comment, I was just thinking of some excuse to quote-reply the OP ... before SUCK IT pulled another delete the post on us.  :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Jesus guys your killing us here with your extremism.