Author Topic: Trial for a Paradise Cove survivor starts.  (Read 21656 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Trial for a Paradise Cove survivor starts.
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:36:06 PM »
Son's trial begins in `hit' on parents, by David Ovalle and Mara Rudolph BY DAVID OVALLE AND MARA RUDOLPH,  Miami Herald, July 8, 2010
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Son's trial begins in 'hit' on parents
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 04:46:09 PM »
The Miami Herald
Posted on Thursday, 07.08.10

Son's trial begins in 'hit' on parents

Christopher Sutton is accused of dispatching a hit man to kill his parents in their luxury Coral Gables home in 2004. His mother died and his father was blinded.

BY DAVID OVALLE AND MARA RUDOLPH
[email protected]

It began as a murder mystery: In the black of night, a mysterious assassin slipped into a luxurious Coral Gables house, pumping a volley of bullets into wealthy lawyer John Sutton and his wife Susan.

The investigation ended, a Miami-Dade prosecutor told jurors Wednesday, with the unraveling of a murder plot fueled by greed, hate and revenge -- planned by the Suttons' own son.

Accused of a twisted tale worthy of a Greek tragedy, Christopher Sutton finally went to trial Wednesday, six years after he was charged with masterminding the plan that left his mother dead and his father blind.

Enraged that his parents shipped him off to an abusive boarding school in Western Samoa -- and standing to inherit his father's wealth -- Sutton seethed for years, complaining often to his girlfriend, prosecutor Carin Kahgan told jurors.

"How his parents had taken two years of his life. How his parents deserved to pay. How he could find someone to kill his parents,'' Kahgan said. "Like a broken record, on and on and over and over.''

Sutton, 31, is charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder. Seated in the audience for the next few weeks will be his father, John Sutton -- no stranger to courtrooms, he is still a practicing civil attorney even though blind.

During the trial, prosecutors will paint the picture of a black-sheep son bent on vengeance and money who dispatched his friend, Garrett Kopp, to kill his parents.

The defense will portray Kopp as the sole culprit, shifting blame to Sutton to avoid a harsh sentence.

Defense attorney Bruce Fleisher, in his opening statement, said Kopp broke into the Sutton house while in a drug-influenced stupor, looking for cash and narcotics.

"He was doing a lot of drugs. He needed drugs to use, needed drugs to sell, and he needed money,'' Fleisher said of Kopp. "He knew where to get them because Chris kept things at his parents' house.''

Kopp knew the layout of the house because, as Sutton's pal, he had visited the home before. Surprised by Susan and John Sutton, Kopp shot the couple and escaped, Fleisher said.

Sutton is facing life in prison.

The shooting was initially a whodunit.

In dramatic prose, Kahgan laid out the shooting that took place about 10:30 p.m. Aug. 22, 2004, at the house on the 4700 block of Orduna Drive.

"Shrouded in black, the gunman left his car and headed out in the stillness of a Sunday night down the tree-lined streets of Coral Gables, in the shadow of the country club where he parked his car,'' Kahgan said.

Sutton, Kahgan explained, had earlier taken Kopp on a walk-through of the house.

The dog rarely barked. The back sliding door was never locked.

Kopp wielded a 9mm Glock pistol.

"He was on a mission, a mission to murder John and Susan Sutton,'' Kahgan said.

Shots rang out, cutting down Susan Sutton as she talked on the phone in the master bedroom. Kopp shot John Sutton in the torso and face. Gravely wounded, Sutton called 911.

"I need police and an ambulance,'' he groaned in agony during the emergency call played in court Wednesday.

Kopp escaped. Police swarmed the normally quiet neighborhood.

Suspicion soon fell on Sutton, who when first approached by a Miami--Dade detective, immediately offered up an alibi -- he was at the movies with his girlfriend -- without being asked for one, Kahgan said.

Phone records showed a call from Kopp to Sutton immediately after the shooting.

Shortly after the murder, Kopp was arrested for an unrelated assault case in Homestead, and his gun was confiscated by police. Ballistics tests showed the weapon was the same one used in the Sutton shooting.

Kopp told authorities that Sutton and he planned the crime for months -- Sutton even gave him $50 to buy at Walmart black clothes to wear during the crime, Kahgan said.

In February 2008, Kopp pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and agreed to a prison term of 30 years in exchange for testimony against Sutton.

Witnesses also told police Sutton hated his parents for shipping him off to the Paradise Cove program in Western Samoa, a boot camp style program with a history of abuse complaints from participants.

His parents even obtained a court order to ensure he stayed there after he turned 18.

Fleisher downplayed Sutton's anger toward his parents, and disputed the idea that he had any plans to cash in on his father's demise.

"The state says there is a financial motive in this case -- I disagree,'' Fleisher said. "John Sutton and Susan Sutton were very good parents to Chris.''

Copyright 2010 Miami Herald Media Co.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Trial for a Paradise Cove survivor starts.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:52:17 PM »
Link to Comments

HenrikKnudsen wrote on 07/08/2010 04:31:26 PM:
The camp was shot down by the authorities in Samoa based on work by the US Consulate. The firm behind the camp did also get camps and school shut down in the Czech republic, Mexico and Costa Rica. When she was a senator, Clinton aided the Jewish community in New York to save a kid from a camp in Jamaica. I have found photo of kids hogtied in dog cages down in Mexico at another camp.

There is no question that such a treatment would create a very sick mind and because I do find the hit on the parents wrong despite their choice of treatment solution, I hope that a guilty verdict will put him in a real hospital for a very long time so he can recover and understand his actions.

miamigal427 wrote on 07/08/2010 04:02:50 PM:
I grew up with the Sutton's younger daughter. Her parents were like my parents throughout my childhood. It breaks my heart over and over again to hear about the case. Mr. Sutton and his daughter are 2 very strong people who deserve the best in life. Chris was always troubled child/teen.I remember his terrible anger fits and abuse His parents loved him very much though. I hope he is given the punishment he deserves.

rosafadul wrote on 07/08/2010 03:41:28 PM:
I haved the pleasure of knowing Mr. Sutton and I can tell you honestly this man is not only the kindest human being but a wonderful and honest lawyer. What he has encountered over the last couple of years, his son should pay. He took the life of his mother and left his father blind. Justice must always prevail even thou it will never bring back Mr. Sutton his sight, his wife and his son. May god bless Mr. Sutton and his family.

•   
rbquinn wrote on 07/08/2010 03:38:45 PM:
Christopher is an ungrateful adopted child!

Littlemiss wrote on 07/08/2010 01:48:39 PM:
Wow if his parents obtained a court order to leave him in Samoa till he was 18,the guy must have been really bad to the bone. Poor Damien.

•   
jacksonprivatei wrote on 07/08/2010 01:04:52 PM:
Replying to HenrikKnudsen (07/08/2010 07:34:26 AM):
"Everyone who search for "Paradise Cove" on the Internet will learn about a torment to a degree which you never would be something any parent would impose on their child.

Even 10-15 years later the survivors of this place is tormented by nightmares and they will have to live with it the rest...":
Oh really ? You have no idea what this SON put them through. I wouldn't judge unless you knew the whole story.
•   
dee65 wrote on 07/08/2010 11:15:44 AM:
Having children is the luck of the draw some are good, some are bad and some in between. The parents may have made a bad choice in sending their "troubled" child to paradise cove but that is NO excuse for murdering them. He was born a bad seed and probably thought that because he was an only child that his parents "owed" him he could get away with it. Parents don't "owe" anything to their children especially an inheritance, make your money I'll spend mine how I please. Rich or poor kids who kill their parents don't make a distinction between right and wrong, they want to place blame on the parents or society but never themselves. I say give him life, I'm sure right now he's tormented by the fact his friend didn't finish the job and he's father is still living. I hope his father realizes its not anything he may have done some are just bad from the get go.

•   

Kopp would testify Mother Teressa hired him to kill the Suttons for 30 years instead of the "needle"!

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »
THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS, have a training school.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. It's really sad. The kid suffers, the parents suffer and the program is not held accountable at all.

I guess this program didn't deliver.... can the father sue the program for failing to help his son or has the name and location of the program changed a few times since?
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
Quote from: "wdtony"
I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. It's really sad. The kid suffers, the parents suffer and the program is not held accountable at all.

I guess this program didn't deliver.... can the father sue the program for failing to help his son or has the name and location of the program changed a few times since?
It was Paradise Cove in Western Samoa (run by WWASPs). So... while the program no longer exists, the father could still get in on the Turley lawsuit if he so wished...

Somehow, I kinda doubt that John Sutton sees his son's experience in Samoa as a contributing factor to this tragic event.

"Witnesses also told police Sutton hated his parents for shipping him off to the Paradise Cove program in Western Samoa, a boot camp style program with a history of abuse complaints from participants."[/list]

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
    Mom dead, dad blinded?

PWNED HARD!

I was going to give Chris 150 out of a possible 200 points. But then I realized just how utterly pwned this guy is; wife dead, son in prison for life, never to see again. Extra credit! 225/200 for Chris Sutton. Excellent work and a gold star!

But he fucked up, obviously. If he wanted to stay out of prison, he shoulda just made *sure* they were dead, burned the bodies and fed the skeletons through a rock crusher, and feigned some surprise and asked to help find the real killer. (Worked for OJ, didn't it?) Oh well, I'm sure this tale will be a lesson for others.

Anyone want the name "Pile of Dead Parents"?
    ...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »
    Quote from: "Pile of Dead Kids"
    Mom dead, dad blinded?

PWNED HARD!

I was going to give Chris 150 out of a possible 200 points. But then I realized just how utterly pwned this guy is; wife dead, son in prison for life, never to see again. Extra credit! 225/200 for Chris Sutton. Excellent work and a gold star!

But he fucked up, obviously. If he wanted to stay out of prison, he shoulda just made *sure* they were dead, burned the bodies and fed the skeletons through a rock crusher, and feigned some surprise and asked to help find the real killer. (Worked for OJ, didn't it?) Oh well, I'm sure this tale will be a lesson for others.

Anyone want the name "Pile of Dead Parents"?

Definitely a lesson, I agree.  I dont think anyone would want to follow in the footsteps of this kid or OJ.    All the program could do was to buy his parents a few more years together, the kid was an evil seed from day one and the whole thing was just unfortunate.  Everyone loses.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments for "Son's trial begins in 'hit' on parents"
    « Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »
    I see that Whooter posted some of the comments above. Seems a shame not to post them all, given that there are not that many... So here they are:

Comments left for the above article, "Son's trial begins in 'hit' on parents" (by David Ovalle and Mara Rudolph, 07.08.10, The Miami Herald):

HenrikKnudsen wrote on 07/08/2010 07:34:26 AM:
      Everyone who search for "Paradise Cove" on the Internet will learn about a torment to a degree which you never would be something any parent would impose on their child.

Even 10-15 years later the survivors of this place is tormented by nightmares and they will have to live with it the rest of their lives. It doesn't justify murder, but a parent who did choose "Paradise Cove" for their child is a disgrace of a parent.
    BHarrison wrote on 07/08/2010 08:17:54 AM:
      Having children can be a blessing or a curse ... and one never knows how it might turn out, huh? This article should have been ran adjacent to the article yesterday about 20% of women deciding not to have children.

Of course parent CAN have a major impact on how their kids turn out; but sometimes, even the best of parents can wind up with an exremely difficult child. The article did not say why the parents sent Christopher to the Paradise Cove "private school" though. It appears that the wealthy parents might not have been very "loving" towards this problem kid.
    miamiisgettingscummier wrote on 07/08/2010 08:20:37 AM:
      Burn 'em
    holmesrip2 wrote on 07/08/2010 10:47:32 AM:
      Dear Mr. Ovalle, and Miami Herald Readers:

I had the privilege of briefly knowing Teddy Montoto, attorney John Sutton's law partner -- the firm was Sutton and Montoto.

You correctly describe this mind-blowing, apocalyptic, situation as comparable to a Greek Tragedy.

I thank all of you, very much, for your interest in the well-being of survivor, and excellent practicing attorney, Mr. Sutton.

Sincerely,

Jackson Rip Holmes
    mht103 wrote on 07/08/2010 11:12:17 AM:
      Kopp would testify Mother Teressa hired him to kill the Suttons for 30 years instead of the "needle"!
    dee65 wrote on 07/08/2010 11:15:44 AM:
      Having children is the luck of the draw some are good, some are bad and some in between. The parents may have made a bad choice in sending their "troubled" child to paradise cove but that is NO excuse for murdering them. He was born a bad seed and probably thought that because he was an only child that his parents "owed" him he could get away with it. Parents don't "owe" anything to their children especially an inheritance, make your money I'll spend mine how I please. Rich or poor kids who kill their parents don't make a distinction between right and wrong, they want to place blame on the parents or society but never themselves. I say give him life, I'm sure right now he's tormented by the fact his friend didn't finish the job and he's father is still living. I hope his father realizes its not anything he may have done some are just bad from the get go.
    jacksonprivatei wrote on 07/08/2010 01:04:52 PM:
      Replying to HenrikKnudsen (07/08/2010 07:34:26 AM):
      "Everyone who search for "Paradise Cove" on the Internet will learn about a torment to a degree which you never would be something any parent would impose on their child.

Even 10-15 years later the survivors of this place is tormented by nightmares and they will have to live with it the rest...":
      Oh really ? You have no idea what this SON put them through. I wouldn't judge unless you knew the whole story.[/list]
      Littlemiss wrote on 07/08/2010 01:48:39 PM:
        Wow if his parents obtained a court order to leave him in Samoa till he was 18,the guy must have been really bad to the bone. Poor Damien.
      rbquinn wrote on 07/08/2010 03:38:45 PM:
        Christopher is an ungrateful adopted child!
      rosafadul wrote on 07/08/2010 03:41:28 PM:
        I haved the pleasure of knowing Mr. Sutton and I can tell you honestly this man is not only the kindest human being but a wonderful and honest lawyer. What he has encountered over the last couple of years, his son should pay. He took the life of his mother and left his father blind. Justice must always prevail even thou it will never bring back Mr. Sutton his sight, his wife and his son. May god bless Mr. Sutton and his family.
      miamigal427 wrote on 07/08/2010 04:02:50 PM:
        I grew up with the Sutton's younger daughter. Her parents were like my parents throughout my childhood. It breaks my heart over and over again to hear about the case. Mr. Sutton and his daughter are 2 very strong people who deserve the best in life. Chris was always troubled child/teen. I remember his terrible anger fits and abuse His parents loved him very much though. I hope he is given the punishment he deserves.
      HenrikKnudsen wrote on 07/08/2010 04:31:26 PM:
        The camp was shot down by the authorities in Samoa based on work by the US Consulate. The firm behind the camp did also get camps and school shut down in the Czech republic, Mexico and Costa Rica. When she was a senator, Clinton aided the Jewish community in New York to save a kid from a camp in Jamaica. I have found photo of kids hogtied in dog cages down in Mexico at another camp.

There is no question that such a treatment would create a very sick mind and because I do find the hit on the parents wrong despite their choice of treatment solution, I hope that a guilty verdict will put him in a real hospital for a very long time so he can recover and understand his actions.

Offline mandelduke

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »
      I just had some one e-mail me from prison in California, he is in there for murder.  His friend found a post of mine about Green River, she said when he read it he was touched to say the least. He was at Woods Bend in Kentucky in the med 70ts I was at Green River Bays Camp.  They were the to worst  in Kentucky .  He wants to correspond with me, but still to this day its hard to talk about.  Believe me when you live through a place like that, you are capable of anything.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:02:41 PM »
      I'm in Kentucky and would like to know what you can tell me about these places you've mentioned.  What was their stated propose and where are they at, as in near what city or in which county; who was the "warden"; Do you know if they are still in operation; and if you are up to it, what day to day life was like there.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »
      Quote from: "BuzzKill"
      I'm in Kentucky and would like to know what you can tell me about these places you've mentioned.  What was their stated propose and where are they at, as in near what city or in which county; who was the "warden"; Do you know if they are still in operation; and if you are up to it, what day to day life was like there.
        Green River Boys Camp KENTUCKY
        viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14610[/list]

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
        « Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 01:37:30 AM »
        I googled green river boys camp and there is still an address and phone number yet no website.
        Green River Boys Camp in Cromwell, Kentucky (ky)
        Name: Green River Boys Camp
        Street: 354 Boys Camp Road
        Cromwell, ky 42333-9607
        Phone: (270) 526-3826

Cases like this always make me feel conflicted and depressed. On one hand this guy committed a pretty brutal and callous act and it seems money was at least part of the motivation. So i don't think it is so easily excused. Particularly since it was quite some time after he got out and it was not a spur of the moment crime of passion. On the other hand I dont know why his parents sent him to paradise cove but it clearly it had a tragic effect for everyone. maybe the ends justifying the means mentality reinforced some kind of sociopathy that he was already capeable of or maybe the place created a monster. I note a lot of kids coming out of places like this claim that they became capeable of anything when they hear of cases like this, but then most don't actually cross that line and commit murder. At any rate i feel for all involved in this case including the father. At the end of the day the blood of this family is in part on wwasps hands
        n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Trial Begins For Man Accused In Attack On Parents
        « Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »
        Back to the subject of the OP... A short piece of video news coverage can be seen at the link to this earlier article:

CBS4.com
        Jun 28, 2010 8:56 am US/Eastern

Trial Begins For Man Accused In Attack On Parents

MIAMI (CBS4) ? Jury selection is scheduled to get underway Monday in Miami-Dade for the trial of a man accused of arranging for the murder of his parents.

Christopher Sutton is accused of convincing his former roommate Garrett Kopp to break into his parents' home and kill them.

In August 2004, John and Susan Sutton, both 57, were ambushed inside their home at 4725 Orduna Dr., east of the Riviera Country Club. John was left blind after being shot six times with a 9mm gun in his face and torso. His wife Susan was killed in the couple's master bedroom.

The crime went unsolved for months until detectives eventually picked up Kopp through forensic evidence linked to the crime. During questioning Kopp 'implicated' Sutton in the shootings. The two men once lived in the same South Miami apartment complex. Police picked up Sutton and charged both men with first degree murder.

In 2008, Kopp pled guilty to the murder and in exchange for a 30-year prison sentence agreed to testify against Sutton.

© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Coral Gables murder trial to begin Wednesday
        « Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
        Here's another one, with a fairly brief synopsis of the situation:

The Miami Herald
        Posted on Wednesday, 07.07.10

Coral Gables murder trial to begin Wednesday
        BY DAVID OVALLE · [email protected]

Opening statements are set to begin Wednesday in the murder trial of Christopher Sutton, who is accused of hatching a plot to murder his father and mother in their luxury Coral Gables home.

Miami-Dade prosecutors say Sutton, 31, dispatched a gunman to kill John and Susan Sutton inside their home in August 2004.

The gunman fatally shot Susan Sutton, while John Sutton -- a prominent Miami-Dade civil lawyer -- was wounded and left blinded.

The attacker, Garrett Kopp, 26, has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 30 years in prison. Kopp is expected to testify against Sutton.

Sutton, charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder, is facing life in prison. Trial will begin in front of Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Stanford Blake.

Copyright 2010 Miami Herald Media Co.