Author Topic: The Right to Privacy  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Samara

• View Profile
The Right to Privacy
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:57:40 AM »
IM/Internet/Facebook/Twitter/Phone cams/24/7 Media/Spycams/Key Trace/Cookies/Online Data collection/TMI and what have you.

Is Privacy a thing of the past? Do I have no right to expect it any more? Do I have no Rights to Privacy? How do I protect it online?

I am a very private person. I lead a pretty boring life. I'm not on drugs, evading taxes, or "Craig's Listing" for World Series tickets. I've never committed a felony, beat someone up, or screwed someone else's husband.

But I want privacy. And its all an illusion now. It's an overmediated life. Any moment could get caught on Candid Cameras everywhere.

WTF?

I had to warn a co-worker not to "friend" students. She is 12 years younger than I am. A different generation. She thinks I am being paranoid (I know other teachers would not appreciate the students knowing certain info from bitching about the job to their recent bachelorette photos.)

I feel like everyone has access and I don't want it.

Are there things I can do to protect myself?

Should I just get over it and know that the Right to Privacy has ceased to exist?

I am so disgusted by this TMI overly accessible culture, I dream of dropping out, off the grid. (Like I would last long with my tender footed ways. :heartbreak: )
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
Re: The Right to Privacy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:11:39 AM »
I totally understand where your coming from. I also believe too many people purposely try to obtain information just to be nosey bastards. The only solution is actually to read a book instead of coming on the internet. However, our lives do now fully need some form of access. I have heard there are many programs available to add extra provacy protection. I would suggest actually going into a computer store and finding the best programs that will allow you to remain having your private life. Unfotunately, half the morons on fornits do know a lot about computers and tend to act immature and purposely try to gain information to make others feel crappy in some form or another. Especially the daily rollers. I wish you luck on your journey of private living.
"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle."
Kahlil Gibran

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:33:37 AM »
I may have to consult a computing expert.... but also, I am just tired of being filmed having some fries with that shake.  There is just no zone where one can expect privacy. God, even today's kids have to deal with cyber bullying - its not enough to just terrorize someone at school.  

I'm thinking grass hut in Fiji.

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
If someone is filming you eating that is actually pretty scary. That is more stalking. I would urge you to take steps immediately to protect yourself. That means someone is very obsessed with your life. I know completely how this feels. You need to never respond to this person or give them a way into your life. You got to heed my warning and block them away from you so fast. I learned the hard way so please trust me. I know it is hard not to say or do anything but if you dont they will crawl back into the hole they deserve to be in. Please heed my warning. Protect yourself first before anything else, keep copies of everything they try to do to you.
"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle."
Kahlil Gibran

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »
Quote from: "SharonMcCarthy"
If someone is filming you eating that is actually pretty scary. That is more stalking. I would urge you to take steps immediately to protect yourself. That means someone is very obsessed with your life. I know completely how this feels. You need to never respond to this person or give them a way into your life. You got to heed my warning and block them away from you so fast. I learned the hard way so please trust me. I know it is hard not to say or do anything but if you dont they will crawl back into the hole they deserve to be in. Please heed my warning. Protect yourself first before anything else, keep copies of everything they try to do to you.

Quote from: "Samara"
I am just tired of being filmed having some fries with that shake.

I could be wrong, but I think she was just talking in general.  Ya know how the CCTVs are everywhere now.....drive thrus, ATMs etc.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
Yeah your probably right..I did not see that originally.
Kahlil Gibran

Offline liarsexposed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »
I totally understand where your coming from. I also believe too many people purposely try to obtain information just to be nosey bastards. The only solution is actually to read a book instead of coming on the internet. However, our lives do now fully need some form of access. I have heard there are many programs available to add extra provacy protection. I would suggest actually going into a computer store and finding the best programs that will allow you to remain having your private life. Unfotunately, half the morons on fornits do know a lot about computers and tend to act immature and purposely try to gain information to make others feel crappy in some form or another. Especially the daily rollers. I wish you luck on your journey of private living.
3rd post today that you have lied on. Who are you trying to impress girl ?
So privacy means something but only as it applies to you?
Your deciet, in stealing my personal info, and posting it on every web/hate site (including this one) doesnt count ?
Wow you are ill
If only you could get paid for being a liar,you would be famously wealthy
This has been an educational day
Lies exposed.. No waiting !
 :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  ::fullofshit::  ::fullofshit::

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:09 PM »
:karma:
Kahlil Gibran

Offline liarsexposed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
:karma:
OMG Sharon. I think we have had a freakin breakthrough
I almost PISSED myself when I saw that
God Bless ya I needed that
good night :notworthy:

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 02:41:23 AM »
Anyways Samara I truly think society has allowed way to much of the crapola due to so many people out there creating harm to so many. I cannot understand how the world got this far in the sense of literally needing so many damn cameras around. But like on fornits and like in real life one bad stinking ignorant apple tend to spoil everyones peace and serenity.
Kahlil Gibran

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
But are there so many more bad people?  Or does it just seem that way because of 24/7 continuous loop media?  

There is a decrease in civility. With advents in media/technology/reality programming, society rewards outrageous behavior.  Everything is fabricated, thus increasing cynicism.

Also - our culture has become increasingly fear driven and it affects our freedom - both our perception of it and the reality.

I think all the time we spend on the Internet makes us more distrustful and lazy in building connections.

I recently spent a week in a hut on an undeveloped Mexican beach, not some fancy resort -no stores, no crap, no news,no TV, no Internet. Got the local produce and the fish from local farmers and fisherman and cooked it myself. There were other ex-pats, living simply and everyone walked everywhere and intermingled, locals and non locals... people helped each other when needed. People made an effort to communicate and learn.  God it was nice.  And the beer was cheap. I'm not much of a drinker, but nothing like a Dos Equis every now and again. Everyone would just congregate at under a thatched roof and watch futbol at the only TV in town.  It was hard to come back to the Concrete Jungle.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »
I experienced a similar stay in Costa Rica a few years back and went a couple weeks without any luxuries, electricity etc.  It is a great feeling just talking to the locals and getting world news by word of mouth, practicing your Spanish.
In contrast I was in a drug store with my nephew and he was trying to get some disposable razors out of this container which held them somewhat secure and within seconds we heard an announcement “Assistance needed for men’s razors”.  Then a guy showed up with a key to help us.  If you look up you can see the smoke colored hemispheres on the ceiling where they have the cameras.  So they pretty much follow you around the store.

Offline justonemore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 08:31:30 AM »
Samara you are correct, (and mistaken) Privacy IS disapearing, america is descending into barbarism.
Here are my thoughts. It's near impossible to go totally "off grid". So Do the next best thing.. BECOME IRRELEVANT. People who are concerned about being spied on by the government assume, that the government employs competence. It doesn't. Where the government finds competence, competence will be punished.
Same is true to a lesser degree in Corporate culture.
Yes, the 'walls have ears' and 'the sky has eyes'... However, it's expensive to listen to all the crap, evaluate it, type it up etc. Get my point?
Long time gone I was actually monitored. ( criminal case, i was only peripherally involved in, it was a big deal, came to nothin') So, knowing that, I began every phone call or e-mail with key word or phrase that would trigger the monitors. Let em type up every call, every contact, go investigate every one of my legally dull friends and associates, see how much paper that generates. Reams and Reams of paper. generate false you's If you knew me, you's be amazed at how many of the electronic and paper me's are just echo. and it costs a fortune to separate echo from sound.
you are mistaken in the belief that there is a constitutional 'right to privacy' That whole thing is simply judicial fiat.see Roe v. Wade. ::unhappy::  ::unhappy::  Privacy is a human need however, just not one within governmental purvue. Once you're irrelevant, form community, through the local markets,through church, Horse track, any damned thing. ( a lot of people pray at Horse tracks )
Hope this helps. J.O.M. ::unhappy::  Aww, now.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:04 AM »
I am pretty irrelevant. LOL. Except to my sons and closest friends.

I just hate the idea that everything is exposed all the time. Some people even court it.  I hate that people don't respect privacy anymore and that picking your nose in the supermarket or your child's meltdown could end up on YouTube.

I guess I think of "the right to privacy" as a natural right.  Maybe I'm too attached to Lockean philosophy.

Maybe there are no rights. Rights are an illusion.

And thanks for reverting back to normal speak - even with the guns.  My brain is weary today and Google doesn't translate Redneck yet. :) Although I have to admit, your other language has gifted me with many laughs! Must be nice to be bilingual!

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
But are there so many more bad people?  Or does it just seem that way because of 24/7 continuous loop media?  

There is a decrease in civility. With advents in media/technology/reality programming, society rewards outrageous behavior.  Everything is fabricated, thus increasing cynicism.

Also - our culture has become increasingly fear driven and it affects our freedom - both our perception of it and the reality.

I think all the time we spend on the Internet makes us more distrustful and lazy in building connections.

I recently spent a week in a hut on an undeveloped Mexican beach, not some fancy resort -no stores, no crap, no news,no TV, no Internet. Got the local produce and the fish from local farmers and fisherman and cooked it myself. There were other ex-pats, living simply and everyone walked everywhere and intermingled, locals and non locals... people helped each other when needed. People made an effort to communicate and learn.  God it was nice.  And the beer was cheap. I'm not much of a drinker, but nothing like a Dos Equis every now and again. Everyone would just congregate at under a thatched roof and watch futbol at the only TV in town.  It was hard to come back to the Concrete Jungle.

I think this place is called Tulum (spelling is not correct) I am thinking also another place is the yuccatan (misspelled again) peninsula to the very southern tip very rural. Many Norwegians come there. Life is great there, you do have a hut, you fish, shop a little, one convenience is I had a young man who came by maybe 3 times a day to my hut to see if I needed anything. He would get it of course for a fee but the fee was small. I also rode horses which was interesting.
Not sure if we are talking the same place or places but never the less I can identify. Try Costa Rica on the Atlantic side, many rural spots where it is just you and the natives, actually if your not afraid Honduras is a great place for having fun with the natives, just be careful the current gov. doesn't like America.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.