Author Topic: Abuse Allegations Re-Surface at California Faith-Based Schoo  (Read 73629 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Abuse Allegations Re-Surface at California Faith-Based Schoo
« on: September 24, 2003, 02:09:00 AM »
God, when will these parents be forced to take "personal responsibility" for placing their child in an abusive program?  Seems to me that would send a strong message to other parents that there are risks in private placement and that blind faith is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!!!!!

7/4/03

Teen-ranch owner faces charges
Teri Figueroa
Staff Writer
An Aguanga man pleaded not guilty Thursday to allegations that he lied to police and twice reopened his Christian ranch for troubled teens after the state shut it down following allegations of sexual misconduct, according to court records.  

Mark Bonacquista, the 40-year-old director of the Gentle Spirit Ranch in Aguanga, faces up to two years in jail if found guilty of the misdemeanor charges, Riverside County Deputy District Attorney Colleen Maas said.

State officials say they have shuttered Gentle Spirit Ranch in Aguanga three times in the last 15 months.

Allegations of sexual abuse led state officials to shut down the ranch in April 2002, according to the state's Department of Social Services.

Seven teenage girls were removed from the ranch by Child Protective Services at that time, state authorities said.

But upon investigating a tip authorities received a year later, deputies found the ranch was still operating, and once again shut it down. At that time, Child Protective Services removed three teens, said Department of Social Services spokesman Rapone Anderson.

Then, two weeks after removing the three girls, authorities once again found the ranch open for business and once again had to remove a child ---- one of whom was one of the same teenage girls they had removed two weeks earlier.

Bonacquista did not respond to requests this week for comment.

Gentle Spirit Ranch sits on 20 acres in Aguanga, about 20 miles east of Temecula. According to the ranch's Web site, Bonacquista and his wife, Virginia, ran the ranch as a "Christ-centered boarding school" for girls from 13 to 16 years old.

The average stay at the ranch ---- which costs $2,500 a month ---- is 15 to 48 months, the Web site states.

The ranch accepted troubled girls who may have used drugs and alcohol, who have been prone to run away, and those who have been pregnant, to name a few. Violent girls and felons are not accepted.

The allegations of sexual misconduct

As listed in the state's complaint against Bonacquista, dated April 5, 2002, the allegations that led to the eventual shutdown of the Gentle Spirit Ranch came from one girl, a client at the ranch. She charged that:

Bonacquista inappropriately touched the victim on her inner thigh;

he lay in bed next to the girl and caressed her hair and face;

he held the girl's hand in an inappropriate manner, causing the girl to feel uncomfortable; and

he massaged the child on her back under her clothes near her buttocks and told her that doing so caused him to have an erection.
"As soon as we got this information, we acted on it," Department of Social Services spokesman Anderson said. "That's when we shut the place down."

That closure was temporary, pending an appeal from Bonacquista, Anderson said. But Bonacquista did not appeal the investigation findings and the Gentle Spirit Ranch license was permanently revoked in May 2002.

State officials said they substantiated the sexual abuse allegations by the girl who came forward; the department's investigation of the allegations at that time revealed no other alleged victims.

Then came word in April of this year that Gentle Spirit Ranch may still be operating.

The ranch allegedly reopens

According to the investigation case report from the Department of Social Services, a local social services agency received a call April 16 from the parents of a teenage girl living at the ranch ---- a placement that was reportedly costing the couple $35,000 a year.

The parents, who live in Minnesota, reported that ranch officials do not allow any communication with the girls in their care. But the couple had become concerned when they received a videotape of their daughter, in which the girl ---- who suffers from anorexia ---- looked very thin, the report states.

Later that night, Riverside County sheriff's Deputy Chad Craig went to the ranch to check on the girl, according to a May 26 affidavit from Craig, which was filed in support of an arrest warrant for Bonacquista.

Craig asked about the teenage girl several times, but Bonacquista refused to cooperate, Craig said in the affidavit. The Department of Social Services report adds that Bonacquista was placed in the police car at one point.

Craig then spoke with Bonacquista's wife, who told him there were three teenage clients at the facility, which she claimed was a boarding school.

When the couple was not able to produce a license to operate the facility, the three teenagers were removed from the ranch and returned to their parents, according to the state's report. All three of the girls were interviewed, but none disclosed sexual abuse, according the state's case report.

What was reported, according to an affidavit by social services investigator Michael Jackson, was that all three of the teenagers at the ranch said they felt uncomfortable around Bonacquista ---- and two of them told Jackson that Bonacquista touched them on their faces, shoulders and thighs in the mornings to wake them up.

Then, two weeks later on May 1, Craig returned to the facility with Jackson. At that time, they again found a teenage client ---- one of the same girls they had found at the ranch two weeks prior, the affidavit states.

Once again, Child Protective Services removed the girl, Craig states.

In his report, Jackson states that the girl, who suffers from an eating disorder, had recently begun purging, but had not been taken to a doctor for treatment.

Deputy District Attorney Maas said Jackson told her the ranch had no running water when he inspected it May 1.

According to police and social services reports, Bonacquista claims he was operating a boarding school exempt from licensing.

But Gentle Spirit Ranch advertised for and provided counseling services, and thus does not meet the state's standard to be licensed as an exempt boarding school, which must provide education only, social services department spokesman Anderson said.

In addition, he said, there were no teachers employed at the facility, nor was there a school curriculum.

"They tried to hold themselves out as a school, but they are not. They have no teachers," Maas said. "(The girls said) the only instruction was (what) they studied themselves and that was it."

The ranch had originally been licensed as a foster family home, a license given to Gentle Spirit Ranch in 1999.

Gentle Spirit was required to be licensed because the facility was providing care and supervision, including rehabilitation, therapy and counseling services, Anderson said.

Solicitations for help and donations

In December, seven months after the state revoked the ranch's license, help wanted advertisements for Gentle Spirit Ranch appeared on two different Web sites: christianemployment.com and ministrymatch.com.

Both ads state that the ranch was "praying for a mature married couple" to become full-time ministry directors for a salary of $24,000 to $36,000 a year.

Both ads directed job seekers to contact Bonacquista.

Those ads came on the heels of a feature on the ranch in the October edition of Christian Times magazine, which said the ranch receives two or three calls a day from families seeking help.

Christian Times reporter Carol Thomas said last week that Bonacquista did not tell her the ranch's license had been revoked.

Then in March, Bonacquista appeared in a radio interview on K-Wave 107.9 FM, a Christian radio station owned by Calvary Church of Costa Mesa. Public Affairs Director Terry Lind said Thursday that Bonacquista had pursued the station for the interview, in which he promoted the ranch.

Gentle Spirit Ranch is run as part of the nonprofit C-ya in Heaven Ministries, which is also headed up by the Bonacquistas.

According to the ministry's 2000 federal income taxes, the organization reported income of $428,000 for the year. Total expenses tallied in at $219,000.

Contact staff writer Teri Figueroa at (909) 676-4315, Ext. 2623, or [email protected].
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 03:20:00 AM »
First, parents who agree to sever communication with their child should be charged with CHILD ABANDONMENT.  Second, for the parent who chose this program for their child suffering from a serious medical condition, they should be charged with MEDICAL NEGLECT. This business of not holding parents accountable for the safety and well-being of their own children is criminal.

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 03:55:00 AM »
Well I think California as of late is the only state doing a good job in this area that I have heard of. Perhaps other states should adopt their laws in this area.

Any program that is shut down and then reopened illegally should result in jail time for the owners period. Preferably 5 years minimum. That will discourage the practice.

In addition any program that is caught operating without a license and their owners/operators and staff members should be banned from obtaining a license for no less than 5 years. That will discourage the common practice of hiding until caught and then applying for a license while kids are still being tortured inside.

Any parent who returns their child or teen to a program from which cps has had to remove them due to abuse, neglect, or lack of a license should be subject to parental rights termination and jail time.

It should be completely illegal to send any minor to any program outside the United States with penalties for violation including jail time and termination of parental rights.

The war we fight is not against powers or principalities. It is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-09-24 00:56 ]
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Carey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 10:38:00 AM »
First, parents who agree to sever communication with their child should be charged with CHILD ABANDONMENT. Second, for the parent who chose this program for their child suffering from a serious medical condition, they should be charged with MEDICAL NEGLECT. This business of not holding parents accountable for the safety and well-being of their own children is criminal.

AMEN!  

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!!!!!!!

It sure should not have taken a rocket scientist to read the contract and know they were putting their child at risk.  Anyone who signed the Dundee contract that I read, should be found guilty of child endagerment, at the very least.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »
Comments at Struggling Teens
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... 2/np1.html

Each girl receives an accredited academic program designed to meet her specific needs. Performance is monitored and individual motivation plans are implemented to encourage successful completion of the academic program.
THE DSS REPORT SAID THERE WAS NO CURRICULUM OR EDUCATION.

They are licensed through the Department of Social Services ?Community Care Licensing.?
BLATANT LIE.

The ranch is supported by DONATIONS (?) from the families with daughters in the program, as well as through the sale of ranch crops and livestock, a petting zoo, pony rides as well as with donations from individuals, churches, businesses and grants.

This 501(3) corporation has a Board of Directors and Board of References that oversees all organizational expenditures. Mark & Virginia have worked with a variety of youth ministries, as well as a Christian program called Shelterwood, a one year residential treatment program for at risk teenagers.

I think Ed Cons like Lon should be responsible to check out the facilties that advertise with him. Only takes a minute to call the Licensing Director in any given state to ensure that a program is licensed and hasn't had any complaints. If they aren't, then they shouldn't be advertised. How many times has he given glowing reports of facilities that later were closed and/or exposed for abuse, injury, and death.
Since none of them are going to take responsibility in this way, individuals should write and ask them to remove any program they know to be unlicensed.

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:Wr ... n&ie=UTF-8

?We believe that the best form of counseling for most teens is working on a strong relationship with God, through Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit,? Bonaquista said. ?

The Bonaquistas also believe that academics are therapeutic. Their primary goal is to use schoolwork to assist in the growth and progress of each student.

?The best way to accomplish this is to provide a rigorous academic program that is tailored to meet the needs of the individual student,? Bonaquista said.

The responsibilities of each teen include house chores, cooking, cleaning, work projects on the property and taking care of the animals and vegetable garden. Community service projects and outreach events into the local community are also included in the program.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 01:06:00 PM »
Just a thought, if taking care of animals, enforced christianity, and household chores make one behave better how come methamphetamine is so big in rural areas?
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »
-Just a thought, if taking care of animals, enforced christianity, and household chores make one behave better how come methamphetamine is so big in rural areas?-

::bwahaha::       ::cheers::

I'll have to remember that...that's hysterical
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »
I would just like to say that if what this young teenager has accused this man of is true, then I know Mr. Bonacquista will be giving an account for this when he stands before God. Having said that, I would like to add that I have seen first hand what used to occur at Gentle Spirit Ranch and through my experience I have always found the Bonacquista family to be a loving and caring family.
It's easy for anyone to sit here and poke fun, be angry  and criticize them without knowing the entire story or the whole truth. I had worked closely with the Bonacquista's in the past and in my opinion the Bonacquista's have been misrepresented, why?...I don't know. Maybe people didn't want a Christian-based program operating in California or in their backyard, or maybe they had some kind of vengence thing going. Whatever the case, I would just like to say that Mr. Mark Bonacquista and Ginny are good, Godly role-models and I think it's a shame what allegations have been thrown their way. I wish our world was a more just world in the sense that Godly people were not punished for simply putting into practice Biblical principles such as loving,caring and nurturing others. If what this young lady says is true then I fully agree that justice must be done SWIFTLY for Mark Bonacquista and the closure of this program. Actions such as these are unacceptable no matter who it is. But if this is all fabricated then I pray God's mercy for those who destroyed the reputation and integrity of the Bonacquista family.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »
Does anyone have any update on the investigation?
[email protected]

Offline warriorprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 02:11:00 PM »
On 2004-02-08 16:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I would just like to say that if what this young teenager has accused this man of is true, then I know Mr. Bonacquista will be giving an account for this when he stands before God. Having said that, I would like to add that I have seen first hand what used to occur at Gentle Spirit Ranch and through my experience I have always found the Bonacquista family to be a loving and caring family.

It's easy for anyone to sit here and poke fun, be angry  and criticize them without knowing the entire story or the whole truth. I had worked closely with the Bonacquista's in the past and in my opinion the Bonacquista's have been misrepresented, why?...I don't know. Maybe people didn't want a Christian-based program operating in California or in their backyard, or maybe they had some kind of vengence thing going. Whatever the case, I would just like to say that Mr. Mark Bonacquista and Ginny are good, Godly role-models and I think it's a shame what allegations have been thrown their way. I wish our world was a more just world in the sense that Godly people were not punished for simply putting into practice Biblical principles such as loving,caring and nurturing others. If what this young lady says is true then I fully agree that justice must be done SWIFTLY for Mark Bonacquista and the closure of this program. Actions such as these are unacceptable no matter who it is. But if this is all fabricated then I pray God's mercy for those who destroyed the reputation and integrity of the Bonacquista family."

just a thought, but . . .
when news reporters ask neighbors what they thought about so an so (the molester, serial murderer, etc. etc.) don't the neighbors always say, oh, he/she was a good neighbor/quiet, never caused any trouble, i'm so Shocked this is uncharecteristic of this person, etc. etc.

anon poster, i hope what you say is true, that this didn't happen.  but more and more victims of sexual abuse are coming forward.  hell, on TV i saw a commerc ial, similar to the anti-drug commercials, where they show person after person admitted they were sexually abused, at what age, or by whom (a family member, coach, etc, not by name but who). i wonder if each and every person of 2000 people were asked, anonymously, had they ever been molested or sexually abused, i wonder how many, anonymously would say yes, at some point in their life they had been.  i also believe people would be surprised, if not shocked, to find the number of people who say that had been.  the abundance of information in this day in age will be a driving force against these atrocities, as evidenced here, by fornits, thanking you Ginger.  

information + heart = love
ets keep trying and move forward

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »
Sir,
I'm not sure who you are, but I would like to say that I have worked with GSR intimately as well and what you are hearing about Mark is true.  He does seem like a Godly man...which is why when the allegations were brought up before they broke THIS time, they were quickly discarded as not true.  I believe he started out with a good heart towards God and for serving, and he gave Satan a foothold.....and corrupted what could have been a very anointed ministry.  It is TRAGIC.

Ginny, on the other hand, is a good woman who was caught, I think between her obligation to her husband and how horrible the reality of what was going on between Mark and the girls.  My heart goes out to her......I can't imagine how she must be suffering.  

All we can do is pray for their family...but don't forget to pray for the girls that were under their care....seriously, b/c of the atrocities that they came into contact with at the ranch, some of those girls (and staff) left with MORE wounds than they came there with.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »
Can anyone provide an update on this story?
Did anything come of the allegations agaisnt Bonaquista?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 12:38:00 AM »
All we can do is pray?! Are you nucking futs???

Where is this guy now and does he have access to his preferred victims?

Give me the youth, and Germany will rule the world.
--Hitler

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Abuse Allegations Re-Surface at California Faith-Based Schoo
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
One of my Mom's Friend's relatives had a kid in Shelterwood.  Does anybody know what dates Mark and Virginia Bonacquista were there or anything more about that particular program?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Abuse Allegations Re-Surface ...
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
One of my Mom's Friend's relatives had a kid in Shelterwood.  Does anybody know what dates Mark and Virginia Bonacquista were there or anything more about that particular program?
Shelterwood is run by Doulos Ministries, founded by Richard A. Beach. Offices and Admissions are in Colorado. The two Shelterwood campuses are located in Missouri. http://douloscorp.com/

Mark and Virginia Bonacquista would have had to have been there sometime prior to 1998. They bought the property for Gentle Spirit Ranch in 1998, and were licensed as a foster home, I believe, in 1999.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------