Author Topic: Heads up 1st amendment junkies  (Read 1370 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Heads up 1st amendment junkies
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amen ... nstitution

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=155661

It was President Obama's pick for the Supreme Court, Elena Kagan, who hired radical regulatory czar Cass Sunstein as a Harvard law professor.

Kagan called Sunstein "the preeminent legal scholar of our time."

WND previously reported Sunstein drew up a "First Amendment New Deal" – a new "Fairness Doctrine" that would include the establishment of a panel of "nonpartisan experts" to ensure "diversity of view" on the airwaves.

Pay Attention:
WND also reported that in a recently released book, "On Rumors," Sunstein argued websites should be obliged to remove "false rumors" while libel laws should be altered to make it easier to sue for spreading such "rumors."

In the 2009 book, Sunstein cited as a primary example of "*absurd" and "*hateful" remarks, reports by "right-wing websites" alleging an association between President Obama and former Weather Underground terrorist William Ayers.  [*Absurd=True ; *Hateful=Inconvenient]

Meanwhile, in a lengthy academic paper, Sunstein, argued the U.S. government should ban "conspiracy theorizing," WND reported.

Among the examples of speech that should be banned, Sustein offered, is advocating that the theory of global warming is a deliberate fraud. [This man is much offended by inconvenient truths]

Sunstein also recommended the government send agents to infiltrate "extremists who supply conspiracy theories" and disrupt the efforts of the "extremists" to propagate their theories.

Just yesterday, a video at Breitbart.com showed Sunstein proposing that Congress hold hearings about mandates to [Pay Attnetion] ensure websites post links to a diversity of views on issues.

Meanwhile, when it comes to other First Amendment issues, Kagan shows strong beliefs for court intervention in speech, going so far as to assert free speech should be weighed against "societal costs."

in a 1996 paper, "Private Speech, Public Purpose: The Role of Governmental Motive in First Amendment Doctrine," Kagan argued it may be proper to suppress speech because it is offensive to society or to the government.

The paper asserted First Amendment doctrine is comprised of "motives and … actions infested with them," and she goes so far as to claim, "First Amendment law is best understood and most readily explained as a kind of motive-hunting."

Kagan's name was also on a brief, United States v. Stevens, dug up by the Washington Examiner, stating: "Whether a given category of speech enjoys First Amendment protection depends upon a categorical balancing of the value of the speech against its societal costs."

STICK YOUR HEADS IN THE SAND ON THIS ONE AND IT MAY SOON BE ALL OVER BUT THE CRYING.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Stonewall

• View Profile
Re: Heads up 1st amendment junkies
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:02:56 PM »
President Obama won the election. Fair and square. With that office comes the responsibility of nominating Supreme Court Justices.

He has picked Ms. Kagan. And, unless she is found wanting in some way, Cronyism or corruption... and she knows the law, then she gets on the court. It's that simple. The people have elected this President and I have seen nothing that prevents her being confirmed. Of course I may disagree with some of her known opinions, oh Well.

Hey, it has to be this way...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
I can't take too much of what WND publishes seriously.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:21:07 PM »
I know how people feel about WND, but I have yet to see any thing they publish discredited. I mean, people go on about it's being bull shit, but actual examples of said bull shit are never produced.  Now, this doesn't apply to opinions expressed - anyone might hold a perfectly valid opinion that WND's opinion is bull shit. But factually - haven't seen them discredited.

As to the above story, you'll probably find it difficult to find it reported in the lame-stream press, but that doesn't make the story inaccurate, just under reported. You should be concerned about the under reporting of such significant constitutional issues and asking why the media you prefer hasn't covered this issue.  Maybe first, should you feel like putting the time into the effort, do your own research to confirm or discount whats reported here.  

That said, the lady seems nice enough. Doesn't seem to have the kind of experience one would expect; but that is hardly surprising considering who appointed her. And of course Stonewall is correct; There was an election and the winner gets to nominate their choice for open seats in federal courts. As McCain has so often pointed out: Elections have consequences.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »
There are Lots of sites up trying to discredit the various worrisome things this prez (and his wife and friends) have said and done. I look with some suspicion upon them. I'm aware of how each side "spins" some of these issues. Judging from the fact Obama (and his wife, and his friends) are so often explaining what their plain words really meant (which is oddly not at all what they clearly said) I suspect them to be very comfortable with back-peddeling, lies, distortion and cover up.

This little site here for example - it works well to sooth those who don't want to have to worry about the man and his intent. For example: If your unaware of Obama's extreme efforts on behalf of his cousin in Kenya you might find it easy to discount his raising funds for him. But if you know that they were in regular correspondence - and that Obama asked him not to use his senate email - and that Obama made trips to Kenya, (as a US senator) to campaign for Odinga - that after all hell broke loose over there and the ethnic cleansing began, Sec of State Condilesa Rice had to plead with Obama to convince Odinga to call a halt to the killing - and that he only half-heartedly complied (all of which is on film or documented) then it seems far more plausible that he raised money for him than that he didn't.

Obama and Rom have both spoken very clearly about a National security force - as big, powerful and well funded as the American military. This is not something a free people need in their country. This is a tool for oppression  - for crushing attempts at public decent. I don't care how they try to re-explain what they really mean - this is what it really is that they want. Maybe this explains This:http://http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/friends-high-places-cont About which I recently told a friend: I will say that it is very evident that we are heading in that direction. When the media is unwilling to report facts that reflect poorly on a government, for what-ever reason, that is a symptom of a fascist state. When thugs interject their thuggery into the voting process and the free interaction between the people and their representation, that is a symptom of a fascist state. When the people are demeaned and ridiculed by elected officials, and the media, for criticizing an administration - that is a symptom of a fascist state.  This government and media are guilty on all counts. And this is a fundamental change that is not good for anybody.  Its not OK just b/c women think the man in charge would be a good fuck or b/c he will insure they can kill their children at any point up to and including recent birth.

And how about the forced volunteers program? Mandated volunteerism. They have been pretty clear about this little oxy-moronic desire for the nation.

He is good friends (or closely associated if you like that better) with many deeply shady characters - Blagoavitch is in that number. His insisting this is not so is just plain dishonest. Speaking of which :http://http://www.breitbart.tv/the-b-cast-new-claims-confirmation-that-ayers-helped-write-obamas-book/  Its not unlike Darrington Academy, for example,  insisting they are not a WWASP program. WWASP has put up very similar web sites discounting everything there critics say too you know - and the programmed parents believe it.  The situation with regard to this man is very similar.

And if there is not a great deal that the man must cover up (must cover up) then why the large amounts of cash and time spent sealing (and keeping sealed) his birth records, his educational records, his university records, his pass port records - and on and on.  

http://http://www.westernjournalism.com/exclusive-investigative-reports/the-mystery-of-barack-obama-continues/
Quote:The president who campaigned for a more “open government” and “full disclosure” will not unseal his medical records, his school records, his birth records or his passport records. He will not release his Harvard records, his Columbia College records, or his Occidental College records—he will not even release his Columbia College thesis. All his legislative records from the Illinois State Senate are missing and he claims his scheduling records during those State Senate years are lost as well. In addition, no one can find his school records for the elite K-12 college prep school, Punahou School, he attended in Hawaii.

I could go on, but the Point being - I do not consider such a site to be discrediting any of the criticisms or concerns about this man.