Author Topic: For once China is in the lead regarding human rights  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
For once China is in the lead regarding human rights
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:04:26 AM »
China jails Internet boot camp instructors, Bangkok Post, Maj 17, 2010

A court in south China has sentenced two Internet "boot camp" instructors to jail for causing the death of a teenager who was being weaned from his web addiction, state press said Monday.

A court in the Guangxi region sentenced the two to 10 and five years in prison for the August 2009 death of 15-year-old Deng Senshan, who was beaten and abused during his time at the rehab facility, Xinhua news agency said.

The pair, Huang Yijian and Gui Zhicai, were convicted of intentional injury causing death, for beating Deng with wooden boards, bamboo and other weapons, it said.

Two other instructors were given suspended sentences in the case.

The sentences were handed down on April 28, but only announced Monday, Xinhua said.

Deng's death provoked outrage throughout China and prompted the government to issue new rules for Internet rehabilitation clinics as the media uncovered a string of abuse at many of the nation's hundreds of such boot camps.

China's online population, already the largest in the world, reached 404 million earlier this year, official data showed. At the time of Deng's death, the media estimated that China had up to 10 million teenage web addicts.

The instructors ran the unlicensed Qihang Salvation Training Camp which had 122 inmates, all under the age of 18, at the time of Deng's death. Most were placed in the boot camp by their parents, earlier reports said.

Following Deng's death, the facility was shut down.

We will update our datasheet on this camp.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
Re: For once China is in the lead regarding human rights
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »
China follows the old school with regards to use of force- only the government can do it, and they guard their privilege jealously.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:02:39 AM »
For previous coverage of this poor kid's death, see the following thread for some articles that hit the news last August:

More Addiction "Cures" . viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28248[/list]

I'm not so sure I would agree with the title of this thread, but maybe that's just me...
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »
    A court in south China has sentenced two Internet "boot camp" instructors to jail for causing the death of a teenager who was being weaned from his web addiction, state press said Monday.

You're joking, right?

Human rights contests aside, China sure seems to be right on the dot with us when it comes to general stupidity.

To review:

The kid used the internet too much.
    It gets called a disease
    He gets sent away for it

You can stop right there. It's officially stupid, and sounds strangely American. The fact that he gets killed for it seems almost too predictable. Script dept. demands a rewrite.

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »
    These are my favorite news stories! When I am ignorant of a debilitating problem others deal with, and I am ignorant of it and don't have to deal with it myself than I can sit on my high horse and judge them and it makes me feel so much better about myself. I am moral and a good person, but these people sure are not! Let's all get angry and exclaim how evil the people are and the punishment we personally think they deserve!
    one day at a time

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »
    How many boot camp instructors in the States have been sentenced to years in prison for a death in their camp? I believe this case with the so-called colonel from Arizona is a one of its kinds case - unfortunately.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:28:46 AM »
    Because we all know the American government has the Death Mobile ready to roll at all times. You danes must be standing out in the sun too much or something these days. I suggest the lot of your over at SPFT.com buy some large hats, sombreros preferably.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:31:52 AM »
    Quote from: "Che Gookin"
    Because we all know the American government has the Death Mobile ready to roll at all times. You danes must be standing out in the sun too much or something these days. I suggest the lot of your over at SPFT.com buy some large hats, sombreros preferably.

OK. The headline could be better chosen. It is not fun to live in China but we tend to close our eyes because as long as the population is tormented by the government over there, they can produce goods for us - very cheap.

The reason I wrote this headline was that I was caught by surprise about the fact that they bothered to convict the boot camp staff at all. Maybe the owner forgot to bribe the right people.

As for the sun we might speak about this another year. I can hardly remember how it looked here on a shinny day. That volcano thing saw to that we got a weeks of cold and rain. It will properly last forever.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:25:15 AM »
    Oh I dunno.. things are pretty good in China for me. I make about 7 times the average salary so I normally have plenty of spending money. As for the government.. they only spend their time pissing me off by blocking my access to facebook.

pricks.